HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Louis Leblanc traded to Shawinigan

Old
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
He has been used on the PK at the start of the tournament but didnt spend alot of time there..

I personally thought Louis couldnt find his role through the tournament
, thats the main reason why he was put on different lines every nights.. I dont think he stood out either deffensively, not more than the average Canadian player, they were about all responsible in their own zone, you cant make this team if you dont play a good 2 way game these days.. I dont know how much his injury played a role in his overall performance at the WJC, neither how playing a passive trap with your junior team affected his game but it was certainly not a convincing showing from Louis IMO.. as I said, I think he was good along the board, cycling the puck well but his stickhandling skills as well as offensive flair were without a doubt among the worst of the tournament.. Its coming from a fan who watched the tournament without his pink glasses, while Louis did some things well, he still has alot of room for improvement..
I couldn't disagree more. Leblanc's versatility is exactly why he played in so many different situations - not because the coaching staff couldn't find a place for him. People should probably stop expecting offensive flair and big numbers from him - it's not going to be his game. I think the best we can hope for is a 70 point, two-way centreman like Plekanec. Which isn't bad at all.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Emanresu Wen

bust

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Leblanc's versatility is exactly why he played in so many different situations - not because the coaching staff couldn't find a place for him. People should probably stop expecting offensive flair and big numbers from him - it's not going to be his game. I think the best we can hope for is a 70 point, two-way centreman like Plekanec. Which isn't bad at all.
I was halfway through writing a lengthy response and realized I wouldn't be able to pull it off without insulting NHE. So I'll just stick with this^^

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:47 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
He has been used on the PK at the start of the tournament but didnt spend alot of time there..

I personally thought Louis couldnt find his role through the tournament, thats the main reason why he was put on different lines every nights.. I dont think he stood out either deffensively, not more than the average Canadian player, they were about all responsible in their own zone, you cant make this team if you dont play a good 2 way game these days.. I dont know how much his injury played a role in his overall performance at the WJC, neither how playing a passive trap with your junior team affected his game but it was certainly not a convincing showing from Louis IMO.. as I said, I think he was good along the board, cycling the puck well but his stickhandling skills as well as offensive flair were without a doubt among the worst of the tournament.. Its coming from a fan who watched the tournament without his pink glasses, while Louis did some things well, he still has alot of room for improvement..
Leblanc was Cameron's go to guy if a line needed a spark plug. He wasn't changing line because he was bad with that particuliar line...

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
70 points is pretty elite production in the current NHL. If Leblanc gets above a consistent 50 point level (which is very good 2nd line production) I'd be very surprised.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
70 points is pretty elite production in the current NHL. If Leblanc gets above a consistent 50 point level (which is very good 2nd line production) I'd be very surprised.
Let's say star level, not elite...but you're right, 70 points in todays NHL is simply great.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Keep in mind I'm using that as what I perceive to be his ceiling...I'm not guaranteeing he'll ever reach that. We'll have to wait and see.

Edit: whoops just re-read my post. Didn't mean to say I was expecting consistent 70 point production from Leblanc. I think he'll hover more around 50-60 but could hit 70 in a really good year (like Plekanec).

Last edited by hototogisu: 08-23-2011 at 09:28 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Would be nice to see him play with Bournival in the Memorial Cup
Not really, if he ends up in Shawinigan it means he is struggling at the AHL level, which is not good for a 20 yaer old 1st round pick. I hope he never plays another Q game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchedNerve View Post
From what I saw of him last year, another year in the Q won't hurt.
He was injured. What you saw of him in October and early November was THE Louis Leblanc. He was dominating as hell, strongest player in the league, before he got injured.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 08:43 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Saying he was top 5 at the last WJC is a mythe (unless you are talking stats wise), the kid was good along the board and was cycling the puck rather well but thats it, was struggling with his puckhandling skills if you compared him to the other players and wasnt clicking very well offensively with his linemates.. Another year in the Q wouldnt be a bad idea since he spent about the whole last season playing with a shoulder injury, so the kid didnt develop properly in that year, was also playing for a clown using a passive trap as a system.. An healthy season in the Q dominating the league and having an opportunity to shine at the mem cup is definitely a ligit option IMO.
I'll repeat: HE WAS INJURED.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Leblanc was Cameron's go to guy if a line needed a spark plug. He wasn't changing line because he was bad with that particuliar line...
That's how I saw it.

Quote:
Agreed, they used Leblanc in different roles because they knew they could. I would be thrilled if he hit anything close to 70 pts, would be great since last season we had 1 player get more then 47 pts (wow our offense stunk, yikes). I really like his offensive skills but I see him more as a 50+ two way type that can play in all situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
What's stopping him from playing with the Dogs until February, getting his first taste of pro action, and then getting sent down to Shawi for the cup run?
I don't see why the Habs would consider doing this.

Quote:
Saying he was top 5 at the last WJC is a mythe (unless you are talking stats wise), the kid was good along the board and was cycling the puck rather well but thats it, was struggling with his puckhandling skills if you compared him to the other players and wasnt clicking very well offensively with his linemates.. Another year in the Q wouldnt be a bad idea since he spent about the whole last season playing with a shoulder injury, so the kid didnt develop properly in that year, was also playing for a clown using a passive trap as a system.. An healthy season in the Q dominating the league and having an opportunity to shine at the mem cup is definitely a ligit option IMO.
I don't think it was a myth, I liked what I saw from him at the wjc's. He put up points and everywhere he plays he's among the top scorers on his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Lets take a look at history. Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterburg, Tomas Plekanec didnt play regularly in the NHL till they were 23, it didn't ruin their development.
What does that have to do with playing in the CHL as an overager? You are talking about 3 Euros, we are talking about our draft picks playing in the CHL as an overager. Why do you think the Habs never do this, they rarely ever send a draft pick back to the CHL as overagers.

Quote:
Now lets also think about the talented players who took the shortcut to the NHL, Guillaime Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn, Max Pacioretty. They all had problems, maturity and being rushed to the NHL.
You can't compare Leblanc with Lats, Kostitsyn or Pac, each are their own players and just because some players are mature or have problems being rushed to the NHL, doesn't mean others will.

Quote:
MaxPac is the perfect example, he couldn't produce against tougher competition, it wasonly after he was sent down to play against weaker talent and with an amazing player (DD) centering him that he
was able to develop. He himself said playing in the
AHL (a weaker league) was better for him.
Pacioretty went from the USHS, to the USHL, to the NCAA to the NHL from the age of 17 to the age of 20. That is a rapid advance since he started the year in Hamilton as a 19 year old (didn't turn 20 until about 7 weeks into the season) So you can't really compare him to anyone since it's very rare to see someone go from playing in the USHS at 17 to being in the NHL just 3 years later.

He also never said playing in the AHL was better for him. He said if there wasn't a role for him in the top 6 with the Habs, he would rather stay in the AHL as he felt he developed more under the Randy's.

http://www.habsindepth.com/content/p...ather-stay-ahl

Quote:
David Dashernais played in the CHL as an overager, it didn't ruin him. In fact I think it probably helped develop his hockey IQ. Playing against comparable / slightly less talent gives you the opportunity to grow mentally, you can learn to read plays before they unfold. Whereas playing in the AHL would develop his instincts compared to his hockey IQ. It would involve him learning to react to the faster competition.
Who's to say that Desharnais wouldn't be a step ahead of where he is now had he been drafted by us and went to the ECHL as a 20 year old?

But what makes you say it probably helped develop his hockey IQ to play as an overager? As an 18/19 year old he had 215 pts in 131 games. He had more assists and points as a 19 year old then he did as an overager (granted he was on a much better team as a 19 year old). His first year in the Q he was 4th on the team in points, clearly he was a skilled player from the get go.

Quote:
That's just how I see it from a mental / development standpoint. You can also compare how DD took the slow route and was able to out produce Lars Eller in half as many games. I think another year in the AHL wouldn't have hurt Eller last year. But 2 years ago I was calling for Patches to be in the AHL andit turned out that playing against weaker competition helped his game.
Not really fair to compare the 24 year old Desharnais to the 21 year old Eller who before the start of the season had only 1 year of playing North American hockey.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

And, if Leblanc somehow found his way to Hamilton, what line would you expect him to play on?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Bieber fever

At this point I have no more high expectation for Leblanc....

At BEST he's going to be talbot 2.0 imo

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
And, if Leblanc somehow found his way to Hamilton, what line would you expect him to play on?
Is Trotter still playing C? If so, then I guess the second center spot will be Leblanc to lose, assuming he can beat Naatinen for the job, which I think he should.

Last edited by Goldthorpe: 08-23-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post

The big difference is that Talbot has no hands.

Old
08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post

Only bigger, faster and better hands

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Is Trotter still playing C? If so, then I guess the second center spot will be Leblanc to lose, assuming he can beat Naatinen for the job, which I think he should.
Trotter has been a winger for a while. Engqvist is probably the only center above Leblanc on the depth chart.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Trotter has been a winger for a while. Engqvist is probably the only center above Leblanc on the depth chart.
I said Naatinen, I meant Engqvist and yes, I agree he's the only one I could see beating Leblanc, but his lack of offensive production last year is kind of a concern.

Old
08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

If Leblanc sucks so much that he can't even play in the ECHL at 20 and must be sent back in the Q, it will certainly be a huge disappointment.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 08-23-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old
08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
There's no if he somehow finds his way to Hamilton, he's going to Hamilton, nothing else makes sense unless his injury takes a major turn for the worse.

Impossible to guess where the new coaching staff will put him, plus we don't know who will be in Hamilton and who won't. If we don't add anyone else then I could see Engqvist and or Blunden making the Habs. Here's the possible positions, Dumont can play center or wing, Willsie can play LW or RW, I assume Trotter will remain at LW.

LW-Trotter, Berger, Conboy, Bishop
C- Leblanc, Fortier, Nattinen, Masse
RW- Palushaj, Willsie, Avtsin, Dumont, Schultz

Maybe something like,

Trotter Leblanc Palushaj
Berger Fortier Willsie
Conboy Dumont Avtsin
Bishop Nattinen Schultz

Quote:
Trotter was a LW in Hamilton, I assume Trotter and Palushaj will be the 1st line wingers, will be interesting to see what the coach does with the lines.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
If Leblanc sucks so much that he can't even play in the ECHL at 20 and must be sent back in the Q, it will certainly be a huge disappointment.
Can you explain why you think playing in the ECHL will be more valuable for a 20 year old than the Memorial Cup?

I like how everyone who claims he will be a bust if he plays in the Q has no logic / rational for their post.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Can you explain why you think playing in the ECHL will be more valuable for a 20 year old than the Memorial Cup?
Memorial Cup is at best 4 games, and the ECHL is a more competitive league all year long.
Quote:
I like how everyone who claims he will be a bust if he plays in the Q has no logic / rational for their post.
You misunderstood, it's the other way around. He won't be a bust because he played in the Q as a 20-years old. What we're saying is that his development will become suspect if, as a drafted player and especially as a first round pick, he can't crack a pro league at 20. The vast majority of drafted players who make it to the NHL played in a pro league at 20.

If he's in camp this september, healthy, and shows he can't compete for a pro spot, and sucks so much he needs to go back to junior, it will means his development curve is clearly behind where it should be. Fortunately, it would be very surprising if this happens, as Leblanc hasn't shown any problem in playing against men in Harvard, and should make the transition nicely.

Old
08-23-2011, 02:44 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
You misunderstood, it's the other way around. He won't be a bust because he played in the Q as a 20-years old. What we're saying is that his development will become suspect if, as a drafted player and especially as a first round pick, he can't crack a pro league at 20. The vast majority of drafted players who make it to the NHL played in a pro league at 20.

If he's in camp this september, healthy, and shows he can't compete for a pro spot, and sucks so much he needs to go back to junior, it will means his development curve is clearly behind where it should be. Fortunately, it would be very surprising if this happens, as Leblanc hasn't shown any problem in playing against men in Harvard, and should make the transition nicely.
I don't think that he can't crack Hamilton's line up, I think he can but I also think he would be better served by going to the Q. Its just about how I view development.

I think by him going to the AHL this year, it pretty much seals his fate of a 2nd line centre / 3rd line centre. I think either way, he's going to take 2 full years to make the NHL. But I see him going to the Q as an opportunity to work on tapping some offensive potential. I don't think he can get the confidence and quality of linemates to do that in the AHL this year.

He's going to be cognisant of the fact he's coming off a shoulder injury, playing in his first pro league against better people, its just an uphill battle. He'll do fine but imo he'll do fine because he's a solid two way player and this will reinforce those skills, I just am hoping for more and the way I see for him to have a chance at a bigger offensive upside is by playing against the weaker competition and hone his play reading abilities and fine tuning some of the offensive skills.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Trotter played 2/3C in Latvia, even 1C during the KHL playoffs. He was a clutch player by KHL standards, he should be clutch in the AHL too. If the Dogs coaching staff decided to chuck Trotter at C then Leblanc would be a 2/3C as a Dog. If Trotter makes the big team it could be as a bottom-6 LW.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I'll repeat: HE WAS INJURED.
Exactly, thats why I dont think its fair to evaluate him based on this past season, WJC included, but if you dont take that injury in consideration and go what what you saw, I still say it wasnt a convincing showing from Louis, I dont think there is something wrong with what Im saying.. Some people obviously didnt see it like I did, but alot of my friends who saw the tournament were also very desapointed in Louis.. I kept saying to them that I thought Louis was playing injured, what was obviously the case and confirmed at the end of the season.. One thing is for sure I dont understand the ones saying he was one of the best on the team, that he was a spark on every lines he played, I just cant agree with that..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote