HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Healthy Hodgson looms large in Canucks’ plans

Old
08-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Vanier Park

vCash: 500
Healthy Hodgson looms large in Canucks’ plans

Quote:
VANCOUVER — It makes sense to suggest the Vancouver Canucks will get off to a slower than normal start this NHL season, given their long run to the Stanley Cup final last spring and injuries to the likes of Ryan Kesler, Mason Raymond, Mikael Samuelsson and Manny Malhotra, which may not allow them to begin the season in perfect shape.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Healthy+H...#ixzz1VuLMNJ7K

Interesting stuff.

Vanier Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Interesting article, glad there is no animosity between our top prospect and the organization. Let's see what he can do in camp and October, that second line desperately needs a play-maker, here's hoping Hodgson can be that guy. October can't come soon enough.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Cant wait for Cody to prove all the haters wrong.

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Rocky-

In 2010 I was hoping the Canucks would draft Beach and initially I was disappointed. After watching Hodgson in the world juniors, listening to him and watching him I am glad the Canucks drafted him. I think he has potential to be an integral part of our future.

Rocky- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Rocky-

oops- meant to say 2008.

Rocky- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky- View Post
In 2010 I was hoping the Canucks would draft Beach and initially I was disappointed. After watching Hodgson in the world juniors, listening to him and watching him I am glad the Canucks drafted him. I think he has potential to be an integral part of our future.
While Kyle Beach is a complete nutbar

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Blane Youngblood

Anyone else find it funny that the article references over playing Kesler to win the division last year? We had the division clinched with two months left in the season, our problem was we had the wrong focus. We could learn a lot from Claude Lemieux, take the regular season off and win the cup.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

I like it! Its funny how most on HF write him off because of a back injury & his AHL stats.

I don't think Cody will ever be a top 10 player in the NHL but I believe that we will see the REAL Hodgson now that he has had an offseason to train & not rehab!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Beach has actually done WORSE as a prospect.

08-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Placebo Effect

What? No more rift?

It can't be! Feels like a part of me has been torn out.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

If Hodgson breaks out this team is even better than it was last year, especially if we add a player like Doan at the deadline.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
People may hate the "Gman" but I think he does an excellent job of reporting and writing articles. great read.

my fav quote:

Quote:
he’s also had something of a boost from former Conn Smythe trophy winner Claude Lemieux, who works with some of Winter’s clients on the mental side of the game.
GOLD

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
vanboy99

hopefully he was able to work on his skating and strength in the offseason....he was painful to watch last year. skating style reminds me of a slower version of demitra in his later years. we definitely cant afford to have more slow soft guys in our top 6.

vanboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Does that mean Cody will try and cheapshot people like Claude did?

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:29 PM
GoTeamDom

Did Cody switch agents? I could have sworn he was a Meehan guy.

I think there is a silver lining to having Kesler injured at the start of the season. Not only does Cody get to play in a role which he is most suited for in the top 6, it forces the rest of the team (and AV for that matter) to play a bigger role than their used to. Hopefully, secondary core players like Burrows, Hansen, Higgins and Lapierre rise to the challenge, like Henrik did when Daniel went down.

Call me crazy but I also think the Sedins have another gear, but that is a discussion for another thread.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:29 PM
ddawg1950

"it’s clear from discussions with Winter that any animosity or bad feeling that may ever have existed between the old Hodgson camp and the Canucks management and/or coaching staff is very much a thing of the past. When you think about it cynically, it could have gone the other way. Hodgson might have been sour at the treatment he’d received down the stretch last season and perhaps even reached the point where he might have asked to be traded."

Am I missing something here. Why would Hodgson have felt sour? It's sounds like our esteemed columnist is, as usual, trying to stir it up. If anything I would have thought Hodgson would have been proud and excited to have been included in that great run as he works towards making the team.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Pure West

Lets face it....he was pretty bad last year in the NHL, the only reason he was playing was because of the poor center depth in the system. It's unfortunate that the injury seems to have set his development back a year or 2, but I guess we'll see how he is this year. Anyone with eyes could see he needs to work on getting significantly faster more than anything else.

I don't know why people think he's gonna be gift wrapped the #2 center spot to start the year. Is he a better option than Andrew Ebbett? He has about 150 games of NHL experience, been about a point-a-game guy in the AHL, and in his one year filling in on the top 6 on the Ducks put up 32 points in 48 games.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
It will be great to see how Hodgson does out of camp. I hope he is on the team.

He doesn't really address a need, though.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:27 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
This is the first season where I think it's realistic for people to expect Hodgson to make the team. That being said, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he played one more full year in the AHL. His injury problems essentially cost him a year of development, as far as I'm concerned, he's still on track to be a solid NHLer. He'll certainly get his shot with all the question marks regarding the Canucks health early in the season.

It is amusing to me how quickly people have written him off, especially on HF.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
"it’s clear from discussions with Winter that any animosity or bad feeling that may ever have existed between the old Hodgson camp and the Canucks management and/or coaching staff is very much a thing of the past. When you think about it cynically, it could have gone the other way. Hodgson might have been sour at the treatment he’d received down the stretch last season and perhaps even reached the point where he might have asked to be traded."

Am I missing something here. Why would Hodgson have felt sour? It's sounds like our esteemed columnist is, as usual, trying to stir it up. If anything I would have thought Hodgson would have been proud and excited to have been included in that great run as he works towards making the team.
I think he implying that the possible issues speculated on in the past were false, resolved, or disappeared when Cody changed agents last year.

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Beach has actually done WORSE as a prospect.
FTR, I wanted Myers in that draft.

I thought he was going to be Pronger-lite.

I'm not wrong. Yet.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Does that mean Cody will try and cheapshot people like Claude did?
Hope so...3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, and general clutchness speaks for itself.

Claude really used everything he had to help his teams win, I hope Cody can be the next Claude Lemieux.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:50 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
Hope so...3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, and general clutchness speaks for itself.

Claude really used everything he had to help his teams win, I hope Cody can be the next Claude Lemieux.
Except the part where he smashes a player's face into the bench.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Except the part where he smashes a player's face into the bench.
Well, he did it as a revenge for a hit on Foote and he won the Cup that year (after winning the Cup and Conn Smythe the year before).

If Alex Burrows breaking Bergeron's face was the difference between us winning the Cup and losing it, I honestly wish he ran him from behind.

I used to believe in clean hockey but after this finals, watching the Summit Series this summer (Bobby Clarke) and the finals in 94 (where Messier destroyed Linden's face), I've realized you have to be willing to cross the line to win.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:48 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
Well, he did it as a revenge for a hit on Foote and he won the Cup that year (after winning the Cup and Conn Smythe the year before).

If Alex Burrows breaking Bergeron's face was the difference between us winning the Cup and losing it, I honestly wish he ran him from behind.

I used to believe in clean hockey but after this finals, watching the Summit Series this summer (Bobby Clarke) and the finals in 94 (where Messier destroyed Linden's face), I've realized you have to be willing to cross the line to win.
That's what Rome thought at first.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote