HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cammalleri feeling fit, predicts best season ever

Old
08-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
He's a two-time 80 point getter in this league. His numbers last year stretched over 82 games are 23 goals and 57 points. Not gonna do it.

For 6 mil, in the regular season Cammalleri has got to at least put up Phil Kessel numbers. 30-35 goals, 65 points minimum. I personally feel he should give even more than that, but I realize this is Montreal, where offensive numbers go to die.

Doesn't disappoint in the playoffs though, thats for sure.
Cammy has been about what I expected for the habs in the regular season. The moment I heard about his contract, I already thought to myself that it was a bit much. Thank god for his exceptional playoff performances or he would be feeling some heat.

Truth be told, Gionta was my favourite signing back then, and while you can argue that he may be slightly overpaid as well, he's been the most consistent.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:33 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I feel the same way, he hasn't lived up to his contract. Prepare for the backlash though.
If it weren't for his playoff performances I'd agree. In regular season cammy CAN do better. I see him as at least a 30 goal guy. 30-30 minimum. He's hit PPG and I hope he'll do it again with us.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:36 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
midget just needs to **** and score because all he is a 1 trick pony
I sure hope this is sarcasm.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Probably isn't. We're a team of one-trick pony midgets, didn't you know?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:06 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Cammy is sexy. All that counts

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:19 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Midget is pro only because he can shoot ... but I bet you'll debate this

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:18 AM
guest1467

Quote:
I sure will.

Besides Gomez, he is the best play-making/passing forward on the team. And no one on the team can make sauce passes like him, not even Markov. His shot is only really that good because of his release, and his stick handling ability, something that takes years to develop. Its not like he was just born with a great shot and became an NHLer because of it.

He is also really good at protecting the puck and using lateral/shift movement to create open space for himself. Couple that with his quick release, and that is why he is a pretty good goal scorer.

And I have always thought Cammy's play-making skills are under rated, he has always been more of multidimensional offensive player that a strict goal scorer.

Lastly, he has to be one of the most cheap and biggest pieces of **** to play against. There is not a single game in the whole season where he doesn't get a good crosscheck or hack to the back of the leg on at least one defensemen. Its like clockwork, hack to the back of the leg, grab the puck, shift direction, and chuck some sauce in the slot. I have seen him make that play at least 4 dozen times.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:52 AM
costathing

Yeah ..I thought the TSN tittle was a lil bit too much ... I mean of course MC13 numbers is not what we excepted ( In regular season ) but with the general only playing 52 game for the past 2 season that was relatively sure that cammy number will go down a lil bit...a healthy season of our D corp is the key for great offensive by our top 6

costathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 05:14 AM
WestIslander

I already said it and think that Cammalleri will score 80 to 85 points this year and have his first ever 40 goal season in the NHL, he already has scored 39 goals playing with a centre that is not as talented and fast as Plekanec.

Cammalleri = 80 to 85 points in 2011/2012

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Plenty of guys that have great shots that can't even stick in the AHL, so...there goes your concept.

I guess you only see what you want.

FYI, Cammy as a great quick release, but the shot is above average at best, nothing spectacular.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:02 AM
SB164

Quote:
Yeah, tell that to Pierre Dagenais.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Cammalleri has been nothing but great in his 2 first years here in the playoffs, he hasn't been lucky in the regular season with injuries. If he can stay healthy and play over 75 games I think he can get over 80pts. He has already done it twice in his career

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:08 AM
neofury*

I can't believe people are saying it's only because of his shot. It's also because of his strong work ethic and strength. Yes he has a quick release with above average accuracy, that isn't the only facet of his game worth mentioning though. Sure he isn't a two-way star but he's clutch when it matters. Plus I don't think it's fair to judge Cammy based on two injury plagued seasons. Let him come to camp healthy and stay healthy first like he has done in the past where he put up PPG like numbers and maybe he'll repeat it.

But to say all he has is his shot is pretty weak. For a guy his size he gets in the right areas and that's half the battle with a lot of shooters in the NHL, right place at the right time. If you don't think hockey sense and strength have anything to do with that too you're sadly mistaking, two things that make for good NHLers along with the work ethic.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Truth be told, Gionta was my favourite signing back then, and while you can argue that he may be slightly overpaid as well, he's been the most consistent.
Mr. Consistent played 300 more minutes than Mr. Inconsistent (AK) and Mr. Consistent managed to put up a whopping ONE more point.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:45 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Mr. Consistent played 300 more minutes than Mr. Inconsistent (AK) and Mr. Consistent managed to put up a whopping ONE more point.
But because he puts on a smile and has that midget "feel-good story" people won't be quick to jump on the fact that he was an offensive black hole for half of the season. ie: If he isn't potting goals then his line is useless.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
But because he puts on a smile and has that midget "feel-good story" people won't be quick to jump on the fact that he was an offensive black hole for half of the season. ie: If he isn't potting goals then his line is useless.
Gionta wasn't an offensive black hole. It was Gomez. Anyone that got taken off the Gomez line thrived soon after leaving. Unfortunately Gionta had to play with Gomez for much of the season because nobody else could fill in. Also Gionta at least works hard in all 3 zones and is the leader of the team. He does all the little things and rarely has a game where he is not going 100 percent.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:15 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Gionta wasn't an offensive black hole. It was Gomez. Anyone that got taken off the Gomez line thrived soon after leaving. Unfortunately Gionta had to play with Gomez for much of the season because nobody else could fill in. Also Gionta at least works hard in all 3 zones and is the leader of the team. He does all the little things and rarely has a game where he is not going 100 percent.
For half the season he was. He wasn't scoring and had a laughably low shooting percentage. As terrible as Scott was/is, it's not like he could will Gionta's shots into the net. I also didn't say he was useless in all 3 zones, just that offensively if he isn't potting goals then he's not worth much.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Training with Gary Roberts... Stamkos-like season?

Seriously though, it's great to see he's dedicated, especially because he's smaller in height but it's great to see him wanting to be stronger/faster/better.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Gionta wasn't an offensive black hole. It was Gomez. Anyone that got taken off the Gomez line thrived soon after leaving.
Technically it was Gionta that was the problem on the line. His job is to score, Gomez's job was to set him up, which he did at the beginning of the year.

If anything Gionta is the reason for Gomez going into a slump.

In reality, the biggest problem was depth and a lack of a 3rd person on Gomez's line. Of course any top G winger you put with Gomez and Darche/Moen/scrub are not going to produce the same as putting that same top 6 forward with two legit top 6 players in Pleks & Cammy but it's easier to blame Gomez.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:21 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I already said it and think that Cammalleri will score 80 to 85 points this year and have his first ever 40 goal season in the NHL, he already has scored 39 goals playing with a centre that is not as talented and fast as Plekanec.

Cammalleri = 80 to 85 points in 2011/2012
Love the optimism, and hope you are right! The bottom line is Cammy makes 6M and needs to produce, he along with our other top paid players, all need to have a great season!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Ugh, Gionta was just fine. Near 30 goal scorer last year and 46PTS in 61GP year before(on pace for 38G, 62PTS in 82 GP).

He's been a very good player. I like AK and feel he's a top 6 player, but to say gionta has been bad just because AK has 1 less point is unfair. Gionta has been good and AK needs more ice time too. That simple.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:02 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I sure will.

Besides Gomez, he is the best play-making/passing forward on the team. And no one on the team can make sauce passes like him, not even Markov. His shot is only really that good because of his release, and his stick handling ability, something that takes years to develop. Its not like he was just born with a great shot and became an NHLer because of it.

He is also really good at protecting the puck and using lateral/shift movement to create open space for himself. Couple that with his quick release, and that is why he is a pretty good goal scorer.

And I have always thought Cammy's play-making skills are under rated, he has always been more of multidimensional offensive player that a strict goal scorer.

Lastly, he has to be one of the most cheap and biggest pieces of **** to play against. There is not a single game in the whole season where he doesn't get a good crosscheck or hack to the back of the leg on at least one defensemen. Its like clockwork, hack to the back of the leg, grab the puck, shift direction, and chuck some sauce in the slot. I have seen him make that play at least 4 dozen times.
1st of all - Plekanec is a better play maker than Cammy. Just stop the nonsense that Cammy is the 2nd best playmaker on this team.

And I never said midget can't pass, I'm saying if it was not for his shot (and quick release), midget be riding greyhound

Old
08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Andy

Quote:
1st of all - Plekanec is a better play maker than Cammy. Just stop the nonsense that Cammy is the 2nd best playmaker on this team.

And I never said midget can't pass, I'm saying if it was not for his shot (and quick release), midget be riding greyhound
Wait...so you're saying that if it wasn't for a player's better qualities...they'd be a bad player...wow! I'm enlightened!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:

Yes, if Cammalleri was less talented and less committed to training he wouldn't be in the position he's currently in. Awesome observation.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wait...so you're saying that if it wasn't for a player's better qualities...they'd be a bad player...wow! I'm enlightened!

that's not true, always. Many players can rely on other skills and their size - and become grinders / defensive minded 3rd or 4th liners.

Without his shot, midget would be considered too small for a bottom line role.