HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Aaron Palushaj

Old
08-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Not good enough offensively to be on the 1st/2nd line and to weak defensively to be o the 3/4 th line ...

Ahler imo
How a Montreal Canadiens fan determines the quality of a player.

1. Palushaj? Hmmm...never seen him play....off to his stats!
2. Hmmm, didn't score a PPG in the Ahl...he did however put up pretty good stats...maybe not first line potentiall....maybe second line? Off to check his height!
3. Only 5'11 and 180 pounds? Wow....no way he'll be a second liner at that height...to be good as a forward you need to be at least 6'2...No way he's a top 6 forward...hey maybe he's a bottom 6 forward! Let's check his fights.
4. NO FIGHTS!!!?? Man this guy is useless....career ahler.

Essentially if you want to know a player's potential on the Canadiens board you look at his points...size...and fights...don't like what you see in either 3 categories...then he must be a useless player.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:11 AM
neofury*

I find it pretty dumb that people are calling a guy who is half a step into the NHL already a "career ahler". He's already shown great promise when he's played much like Yannick Weber. A few games isn't a big enough sample of course but it's a safer bet that he'll be an NHLer than not at this point. He didn't look lost playing for us last year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:15 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

2. Hmmm, didn't score a PPG in the Ahl...he did however put up pretty good stats...maybe not first line potentiall....maybe second line? Off to check his height!
3. Only 5'11 and 180 pounds? Wow....no way he'll be a second liner at that height...to be good as a forward you need to be at least 6'2...No way he's a top 6 forward...hey maybe he's a bottom 6 forward! Let's check his fights.

Essentially if you want to know a player's potential on the Canadiens board you look at his points...size...and fights...don't like what you see in either 3 categories...then he must be a useless player.
Well how off are they when even our most highly touted forward prospects have trouble consistently surpassing 45 points a year?

It might be a little harsh, but you do know it's more realistic than some posters who just 2 years ago thought names like Stejskal and Conboy would be figuring into our lineup by now.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Well how off are they when even our most highly touted forward prospects have trouble consistently surpassing 45 points a year?

It might be a little harsh, but you do know it's more realistic than some posters who just 2 years ago thought names like Stejskal and Conboy would be figuring into our lineup by now.
Trouble surpassing 45 points a year? You make it seem like he's been in the ahl forever. This last season was only his second year in the minors with a clear improvement upon his first year.

It only took him one season to jump from 32 points in 62 games to 57 points(which is greater than 45 points, so it looks like he hasn't had "touble surpassing" your criteria) in 68 games. Which is a clear improvement in just one year.

I think it's way to early to tell whether or not he will be a career ahler.

We'll see what happens this year.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:58 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:

I agree with the person who you quoted. Instead of bashing his reasoning, why don't you explain why he'll be better in our top 6 than Cammy, Gionta, Cole & Pacioretty.

Or why he'll be better in our bottom 6 than AK, Eller, Dashernais, Moen, Darche, White?

I don't see it.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:59 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Trouble surpassing 45 points a year? You make it seem like he's been in the ahl forever. This last season was only his second year in the minors with a clear improvement upon his first year.

It only took him one season to jump from 32 points in 62 games to 57 points(which is greater than 45 points, so it looks like he hasn't had "touble surpassing" your criteria) in 68 games. Which is a clear improvement in just one year.

I think it's way to early to tell whether or not he will be a career ahler.

We'll see what happens this year.
I was talking about 45 points in the bigs.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Andy

Quote:
I was talking about 45 points in the bigs.
No one expects Palushaj to be an All-star forward, so I don't see what the problem is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I agree with the person who you quoted. Instead of bashing his reasoning, why don't you explain why he'll be better in our top 6 than Cammy, Gionta, Cole & Pacioretty.

Or why he'll be better in our bottom 6 than AK, Eller, Dashernais, Moen, Darche, White?

I don't see it.
No one sees anything. He's a prospect currently playing in the ahl..who knows what will happen.

No one here expected Plekanec to be more than a 3rd line player and boom. No one knows what will happen, so let's stop acting like we do. Palushaj has shown improvement in just over a year in the ahl. What the next step is, we'll see. Calling him a career ahl player after two seasons while probably seeing very little of the way he plays is stupidity.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:23 AM
otto bond

Palushaj can be a good player but needs to add strenght in his upper boddy. He has good skills set and speed to burn. I could see him making the team.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

People get too worked up about extremes. Palushaj is 21 and already knocking on the door to the NHL. I think he'll have a decent NHL career like a Grabovsky, Peverley or Kunitz type player. He won't be the one to constantly drive a line, but he should be a decent 2nd liner or great 3rd liner on a cup winning team. He has good wheels, pretty good hands and vision, I think his biggest need is to add another 10-15lbs and get stronger on skates to be able to compete with NHL defenders.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
macavoy

Quote:
No one sees anything. He's a prospect currently playing in the ahl..who knows what will happen.

No one here expected Plekanec to be more than a 3rd line player and boom. No one knows what will happen, so let's stop acting like we do. Palushaj has shown improvement in just over a year in the ahl. What the next step is, we'll see. Calling him a career ahl player after two seasons while probably seeing very little of the way he plays is stupidity.
You are the one calling him a career AHLer, Bieber never said that. He is an AHLer compared to Cammy, Cole, Gionta, Patches.

The future is another story but I don't see him getting a legit shot here, we finally have depth and that is a good thing.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Andy

Quote:
You are the one calling him a career AHLer, Bieber never said that. He is an AHLer compared to Cammy, Cole, Gionta, Patches.
Really...that's what he said? So you're able to read things into people's posts that aren't there?

here...

Quote:
Not good enough offensively to be on the 1st/2nd line and to weak defensively to be o the 3/4 th line ...

Ahler imo
Where did he say he is an ahler in comparison? I think you're seeing things.

Quote:
The future is another story but I don't see him getting a legit shot here, we finally have depth and that is a good thing.
That's not what we're discussing. We're discussing whether or not he has the tools to succeed. Not whether he will get a shot.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Ahler imo
I do see him as more of a 3rd liner in the NHL, if he's got skilled linemates though he will get them the puck as he can setup plays and he's willing to get his nose dirty. I don't agree that his defensive game is too weak to be on the 3rd/4th line. I just want to see him get stronger and add some mass to his frame. I do think he'll be an NHLer in the future just not full time next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If Palushaj forces the clubs hand in bringing him up and then he sticks as a top 9 forward do you think if Andrei falters they'll deal him? I think they'd be even happier just keeping the depth for injuries.
I really don't see him forcing his way onto the club unless injuries open up a spot. Since he can go to the AHL without having to pass through waivers, I would think he will spend most of the season in Hamilton but depending on how injuries go he should see more time with us then he did this past season.

Quote:

Well only 1 player on the Habs had more then 47 pts last season, the Habs have struggled to score and have a defensive minded coach behind the bench.

Also Conboy should be in the mix for our lineup, could see him getting in some games this upcoming season, if not then perhaps the following. Stejskal just turned pro, so you can't figure into the lineup if you are still in the NCAA. Over the next couple of years will we see what he can do, although he's going to have his work cut out for him since we are now deeper in D prospects.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:45 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Where did he say he is an ahler in comparison? I think you're seeing things.
When he said he's "not good enough to be on the first/second lines", that means he was comparing them to our current tip 6. I'm sorry you couldn't put together that correlation, it is pretty obvious to me.

I'm curious, who do you think he was comparing him to if not our first and second lines?

Old
08-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Andy

Macavoy...it's clear that he is saying that Palushaj is a player who is not good enough to be a second or first line player in nhl nor is he good enough to play in the bottom 6. He's talking about palushaj, therefore he will be an ahl player.

No comparison is needed...i don't know how this is not obvious to you.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:29 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Macavoy...it's clear that he is saying that Palushaj is a player who is not good enough to be a second or first line player in nhl nor is he good enough to play in the bottom 6. He's talking about palushaj, therefore he will be an ahl player.

No comparison is needed...i don't know how this is not obvious to you.
and you bashed him for saying that.

Do you agree that he isn't good enough for our top 6?

Old
08-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Andy

Quote:

No. Again you're misreading.

He didn't say he isn't good enough for our top 6...he said Palushaj...the player isn't good enough to be a top 6 player...that is...won't be good enough to be a top 6 player.

I bashed him because he said he is an ahl player because he won't been good enough for any role. I disagree because it's just to early to tell anything at this point.

I think any player not ready to play in the nhl right now isnt good enough for any team's top 6...not just our top 6.

Just admit that you misread his post instead of trying to twist stuff around to support your view. This has nothing to do with Palushaj playing into the top 6 next season and everything to do with Palushaj's development and potential as a player. Again i really don't see how you are confusing the latter with the former.

Old
08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
neofury*

I can't believe it's even being argued. He clearly stated "AHLer" and that implies not an "NHLer". It's like if I called Subban "AHLer" in his first season one would assume I mean what I said not some grasp at straws comparison of what he is to our current line up.

Also to the people saying he isn't or won't be good enough defensively to play on a 3rd line you're living in the past when 3rd lines weren't scoring lines. Now a days plenty of teams including ours roll with 3 scoring lines rather than a 3rd defensive line. He'd be fine defensively for a line like that. I'm not saying he's guaranteed to make the NHL all I'm saying is he hasn't shown any real clear signs of not being able to make it yet. He isn't Carle or even Chipchura who showed signs. (Even though Chipper go onto the ducks squad)

If anything he's shown signs of proper or even above average progression given the type of player he is and where he was drafted. Blues fans were actually quite pissed when they lost him as they were relatively high on him. I don't see what has changed since then aside from positivity in his development and becoming a prospect on a team with a fan base filled with pessimists.

He's done nothing at this point to justify called him a career AHLer. If he really was implying that by saying AHLer he didn't mean career but for right now... that is a stupid redundant statement as we all know Aaron Palushaj is currently an AHL player. By saying this either you're stating the obvious or you're implying you don't believe he'll make the jump to the NHL. Saying he isn't good enough to play on a 3rd line also lends support to my theory that this is what was being implied. If not then it is a pointless statement.

Really can't believe people are grasping at straws to try and say a poster was saying something he clearly wasn't and on top of that even if he was he could have been much more clear. Bottom line is the general feel of the post was that he didn't feel Aaron would be an NHLer.

Quote:

Personally I think his peek would be a solid 3rd line winger who can step up occasionally and play in the top 6 when injuries occur. Not right now but that's my personal projection of him. I believe he could be on the level of Versteeg once fully developed. I do not believe he'll fit into our top 6 currently or ever. I do however believe he'll be a solid 3rd liner and put up good 3rd line production for the teams he plays for. I don't have a crystal ball obviously but I think saying he won't be able to be a 3rd liner is selling him short at present time. People had more faith in Chipchura with less reasoning behind it other than draft order....

Quote:

He didn't say he isn't good enough for our top 6...he said Palushaj...the player isn't good enough to be a top 6 player...that is...won't be good enough to be a top 6 player.

I bashed him because he said he is an ahl player because he won't been good enough for any role. I disagree because it's just to early to tell anything at this point.

I think any player not ready to play in the nhl right now isnt good enough for any team's top 6...not just our top 6.

Just admit that you misread his post instead of trying to twist stuff around to support your view. This has nothing to do with Palushaj playing into the top 6 next season and everything to do with Palushaj's development and potential as a player. Again i really don't see how you are confusing the latter with the former.
I don't either personally I think it's grasping at straws. I don't come on here to connect the dots so if people aren't clear enough then it's left up to interpretation I guess. He believes the guy was saying something different but either way saying "ahler" isn't exactly a clear statement.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-24-2011 at 10:48 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:00 AM
macavoy

Quote:

Your misreading. He said "on the" first-second line, he didn't say any top 6 like you claim

Also Bieber didn't say career AHLer, once again, it was you who said that. He never mentions career, only you do. Go back and read what you quoted.

Old
08-30-2011, 02:51 PM
DieHeartRedWingsFan

Prospect Aaron Palushaj, who has spent the last six weeks training and working out with Max Pacioretty in Connecticut, says Max is looking great and "itching to go."

Palushaj, who spent most of last season with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs, is in Toronto for the 2011 NHLPA Rookie Showcase. He'll get his picture taken in a Habs' jersey that will appear in is rookie trading card. Palushaj is also taking to the ice for a scrimmage with the other 26 prospects.

Palushaj joined yours truly and Andrew Carter on the Andrew Carter Morning Show while he was bussing it to the Master Card Centre for today's photo shoot.

DieHeartRedWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Bullsmith

Small, fast, plays a two-way game without much flash or finish. On paper, he's a JM kind of player.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:36 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I thought he looked good in his short call-up. Not ready for primetime yet but the potential is there, I could see him being a second liner in the not too distant future if he keeps improving.

Also, players in the Habs system put up less points than they would in other systems, it's just the way it is. The team focusses on defence first, people should know and expect it by now.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:46 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Small, fast, plays a two-way game without much flash or finish. On paper, he's a JM kind of player.
Where does your "no finish" assessment come from?

Or Small? He's not a giant but he's probably close to the average height in the nHL.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Max et Guillaume

Paloudjaille

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Aaron Palsuhaj's rookie card will be made this year by Upper deck and Panini since he's the only Habs prospect at the Rookie Showcase in Toronto loll

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Hugo Sham

i don't see where he fits on the habs...no room in top 6 and 3rd line seems to be kos/eller/DD...the fourth line should be a crash and bang line with moen / white and insert center man...he's probably a first call up if anyone gets injured in top 9 though

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote