HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Proposal for Johnson

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 08:56 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Proposal for Johnson

I would call Calgary and see if they would give me Jamie McLennan and a later pick like a 4th or 5th for Johnson. Before you say I am nuts think about it this way. McLennan is a backup, he knows it he has no problem with that. He has shown that he can go long streches without playing and have the mental makeup to come in and play well. we already know he can do this because he did a fine job as backup the year Turek and he won the Jennings trophy. This would give us a veteran backup who wouldnt rock the boat and allow our younger goalies to develop.

Thoughts

Old
10-22-2003, 02:16 AM
degroat*

I would rather try to get Biron out of Buffalo.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:17 AM
degroat*

... or Warren Strelow out of San Jose.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:25 AM
TimothyR

So are you both implying that you don't think either Divis or Sanford are ready for the next step?

Old
10-22-2003, 03:41 AM
degroat*

Divis has been quite mediocre so far this year and Sanford has missed most of the season due to the birth of his child... so, yes, at this point I'm not ready to give a backup job to either of thim at this point.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:47 AM
Blueski

How about seeing if we can just pry a 6th round draft pick for the worthless piece of goalie. Any team who saw Johnson's performance last night will not give us diddly for him. Calgary is sure not gonna give up McClennan for him. And Buffalo is not giving up Biron for him, they would be in worse shape than they are now.

Plus, I didn't start Osgood in the fantasy league last night because Johnson was supposed to stay in the whole game...I lost out on a win and decent GAA last night!!!

Old
10-22-2003, 03:49 AM
degroat*

I didn't say the Blues could get Biron for Johnson.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:13 AM
Nick Blue

According to mdoak on the the trade rumors board, Zhitnik and Biron are available- for the right price. Any suggestions?

Old
10-22-2003, 04:33 AM
degroat*

Given that it only took a 2nd to get Hedberg and Cechmanek, Biron couldn't cost much.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
The only catch is that I think Buffalo feels somewhat comfortable with holding all 3 of their goalies for a while, where Bobby Clarke couldn't wait to get Cechmanek out of town and the Penguins took the 2nd knowing Fleury had made the team.

IMO it would take more than a 2nd, but I'd say a 2nd and 4th/5th OR mid-level prospect would do it. All depends on how they feel with Miller - if they think he's ready, then Biron is expendable. If they think he needs time in the AHL, then Biron's asking price goes up.

10-22-2003, 05:58 AM
execwrite

I'd like to see a veteran as the backup. How about Arturs Irbe if Carolina will pay most of his salary?

Don't like to see young players as backups. They should be playing in the AHL, not sitting on the bench.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Blueski

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I didn't say the Blues could get Biron for Johnson.
Sorry degroat...I misread. (But I still don't think they can get him... :p )

Old
10-22-2003, 09:56 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR
So are you both implying that you don't think either Divis or Sanford are ready for the next step?
I am implying that I dont know, I know that McLennan is a capable veteran backup that doesnt cost much and would allow those kids to develop?

Old
10-22-2003, 09:59 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
I'd like to see a veteran as the backup. How about Arturs Irbe if Carolina will pay most of his salary?

Don't like to see young players as backups. They should be playing in the AHL, not sitting on the bench.
I agree with you about the veteran as a backup part, that is why I suggested McLennan, He probably doesnt make much and he had a much better attititude than Irbe.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:02 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
The only catch is that I think Buffalo feels somewhat comfortable with holding all 3 of their goalies for a while, where Bobby Clarke couldn't wait to get Cechmanek out of town and the Penguins took the 2nd knowing Fleury had made the team.

IMO it would take more than a 2nd, but I'd say a 2nd and 4th/5th OR mid-level prospect would do it. All depends on how they feel with Miller - if they think he's ready, then Biron is expendable. If they think he needs time in the AHL, then Biron's asking price goes up.
If we can get Biron to be the goalie of the future that is fine. The problemis that he is young has been a starter and he wants to play. I dont think we can get much for BJ right now and if we could get a capable backup like Mclennan and a pick. I would jump at that myself.

Another question for you guys, Has Johnson completely lost this team? I know it is only one game this year but I vote yes.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
... or Warren Strelow out of San Jose.
We need a full time goalie coach, yes get him too. Maybe keep BJ then because maybe a coach could actually work with him and get the lightbulb to go on.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Frenzy1

I posted this on the circus page, but I will spare everyone from going there:

Look, Johnson reminds me of a sniper in the middle of a draught. He looks very tight in net and seems to be afraid to make a mistake. He is really trying to prove himself to the team, thereby helping his own confidence. And I really think this is hurting his game. It may be good to send him down and play 10-15 games in the AHL, but I don't see him clearing waivers...

I think that he needs another start and soon - kind of like falling off your bike, need to get right back up there. (Not saying tonight, but maybe Friday)

Old
10-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
I posted this on the circus page, but I will spare everyone from going there:

Look, Johnson reminds me of a sniper in the middle of a draught. He looks very tight in net and seems to be afraid to make a mistake. He is really trying to prove himself to the team, thereby helping his own confidence. And I really think this is hurting his game. It may be good to send him down and play 10-15 games in the AHL, but I don't see him clearing waivers...

I think that he needs another start and soon - kind of like falling off your bike, need to get right back up there. (Not saying tonight, but maybe Friday)
I concur 100% with everything said here.

I'd also be willing to look into the prospect of prying Pasi Nurminen out of Atlanta, if they ever get around to letting Hurme play. Of course, if they'd move Hurme for a good price, I'd take him in a second.

Tuomas Nissinen is playing a little better this year in Finland, but I doubt he's ready tocome over and be an NHL backup next year. Barulin is only 18 and still needs work. Chris Beckford-Tseu is a possibility, but he also would need some AHL time before getting the NHL backup job.

The Blues have four capable AHL goalies -- Divis, Sanford, Szuper and Rudkowsky -- but none has stepped to the forefront in the early going and made the statement that they want to be playing in the NHL.

PB

Old
10-22-2003, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
The Blues have four capable AHL goalies -- Divis, Sanford, Szuper and Rudkowsky -- but none has stepped to the forefront in the early going and made the statement that they want to be playing in the NHL.

PB
How did you arrive at this conclusion?

Old
10-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
How did you arrive at this conclusion?
Which one? That they're all capable AHL goalies, or that none has stepped up?

I look at career stats for the one, and current stats for the other.

PB

Closed Thread