HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garth Murray

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2005, 01:28 PM
eddy

vCash: 500
Garth Murray

Hey guys, congrats on the deal, I was kinda pissed off to tell you the truth as Hossa was playing so well in pre-season I was expecting he'd make the team and finally be a consistent NHL'er as he finally discovered the skill was always there he just needed to work hard. So hopefully things will work out with him in NY. Sorry i didn't post this in the other thread but to be honest I was jsut a little too lazy to read through the 11 pages to find what I was looking for. But if you could give me some info on Murray I really don't know much about him besides the fact that he's a cheking line forward type. Is he a longshot to make the NHL or is there a pretty good chance he'll make the NHL one day as a 3/4 liner? Any info on him would be great thanks!

Old
10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
He obviously has the talent to make it.....but will he who knows.....He could be a 3rd liner at best

Old
10-04-2005, 02:09 PM
nyr5186

He's a grinder, checking forward. In the past many have compared him to a McCarty-type player. If he can stay healthy, he could be a servicible role player, but he's had problems with concussions before. Has sneaky skills and a hard slapshot.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:12 PM
in the hall

better then your typical third liner, but just a third liner

think he can be in the NHL this year, has leadership qualities, does it all even a little scoring

similar to Matt Cooke imo.. that is his upside i think

Old
10-04-2005, 02:14 PM
kovalev27hf

your crazy if you think murray will be an above average third liner

and think matt cooke? sorry hall your usually right on but this guy is lucky if he ever makes it to the show let alone the third line. he'd be lucky to play the third line in hartford this year.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:22 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev27hf
your crazy if you think murray will be an above average third liner

and think matt cooke? sorry hall your usually right on but this guy is lucky if he ever makes it to the show let alone the third line. he'd be lucky to play the third line in hartford this year.
i think his upside is matt cooke

i think what makes him better then a typical third liner is his skill.. not saying he'll be that only that he is capable.. while most third liners are just rugged players with huge defficiencies - this guy can skate, can shoot (given what he is), can grind it out.. his skill gives him a little higher ceiling imo

Old
10-04-2005, 02:25 PM
kovalev27hf

hall i think you are giving this guy way to much credit in terms of skill. he has no vision and no real puck skills. he was supposed to develop that way but clearly hasn't.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:28 PM
in the hall

well i didn't say anything for his vision or stickhandling, he is about as average as any other grinder in terms of that but his skating is exceptional and so is his shooting

his "hockey sense" is whats going to hold him back

Old
10-04-2005, 02:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I had always hoped that he would develop into a McCarty type with a bit more leadership but it seems clear to me that Murray will never have the offensive ability that D.M. has.

Old
10-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

At one point it was an apt comparison (Murray-McCarty) but the offensive game just hasn't developed and probably won't at this point.

I think Murray has a shot to play in the NHL because of his work ethic and willingness to play physical but anyone expecting an above average third liner at this point will probably be disappointed. He has struggled to both stay healthy and score more than 10 goals at the NHL and ideally at this point he's a fourth liner who pops in 5 some odd goals and plays physical on the fourth line.

However if injuries and a lack of scoring continue to plague him, than I'll think he'll be a player who could bounce around the league but it a stop-gap piece until more talented youngsters arrive.

Old
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I also like the McCarty comparison, but not Cooke. Murray also has intangibles similar to Barnaby and Nieminen, and will play dirty.

Don't expect much offense or defense, however, I'd call him a career 4th liner, but because of his character, he might only play for 2 or 3 teams over his career.

Old
10-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Davisian

I always thought Weimer was a better comparison than McCarty.

But that's for his upside.

Downside = AAAA player who bounces from team to team, AHL to NHL.

Old
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Weimer's big flaw is his skating. But he's also more of a set up guy at this point.

Murray was always more of a goal scorer type with toughness, but somewhere in his development the offense just didn't keep up.

At this point he reminds me a bit more of Dan Lacouture.

Old
10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Muirray has been set back by injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Hey guys, congrats on the deal, I was kinda pissed off to tell you the truth as Hossa was playing so well in pre-season I was expecting he'd make the team and finally be a consistent NHL'er as he finally discovered the skill was always there he just needed to work hard. So hopefully things will work out with him in NY. Sorry i didn't post this in the other thread but to be honest I was jsut a little too lazy to read through the 11 pages to find what I was looking for. But if you could give me some info on Murray I really don't know much about him besides the fact that he's a cheking line forward type. Is he a longshot to make the NHL or is there a pretty good chance he'll make the NHL one day as a 3/4 liner? Any info on him would be great thanks!
I think you got a honest hard working player who can be counted on to stick up for his team mates. Ofensively he seems a bit limited. If you have a void in Montreal with this type of player who filled your void. I wish him well.

Old
10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
schmittkov

marshall

I don't know if it is a good comparison, but he reminds me of a poor mans Grant Marshall. I think they are about the same physical size. Grant Marshall most definitely seems to have better offensive skills, but Garth fights more.

Murray was one of my favorite Rangers in the system, and I wish he was still with the team. He plays a tough game, but always seems to be hurt because of it though.

Closed Thread