HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller Looking Forward to Upcoming season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
  #1
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,371
vCash: 500
Eller Looking Forward to Upcoming season

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|MTL|home

Quote:
“I’ve been back in Montreal for about three weeks now and all I’ve been doing is training non-stop,” proclaimed the young forward after an on ice practice session at the Bell Sports Complex in the company of Ryan White, Mathieu Darche and Alexei Yemelin.

Something different I guess.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:27 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,487
vCash: 256
Saw him on the ice 2 weeks ago with Yemelin, very good news. Lars is the player I can't wait to watch this year, he finished the year really strong and was good in the playoffs. Can't wait

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:32 AM
  #3
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Really love the commitment of spending time in Montreal to train. It speaks a lot of his commitment and desire. Those are good qualities. I remember when Pleks had his horrible season, he was probably the hardest worker.

I'm glad that we've picked up some depth and he'l have better players on his wing compared to last year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
  #4
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Saw him on the ice 2 weeks ago with Yemelin, very good news. Lars is the player I can't wait to watch this year, he finished the year really strong and was good in the playoffs. Can't wait
On the B's forum they were trying to attribute Pouliot's lack of production to playing with a scrub like Eller

I didn't want to start an argument so I bit my tongue. Was funny seeing their perspective of him though. They think he'll be a career 4th line C or something.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
  #5
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,487
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
On the B's forum they were trying to attribute Pouliot's lack of production to playing with a scrub like Eller

I didn't want to start an argument so I bit my tongue. Was funny seeing their perspective of him though. They think he'll be a career 4th line C or something.
According to bruins fans Eller was also faking an injury.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
  #6
matCH penalty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
I proclaim my mancrush on Eller far and wide and get laughed at a lot for it, but I really like him. I don't think he'll produce heavy points yet (or ever, really), but I love how he plays. This is great stuff to see.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:32 PM
  #7
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
According to bruins fans Eller was also faking an injury.
The best faking has been done by the Bruins.... as supposed Stanley Cup Champions.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
  #8
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,177
vCash: 500
Sounds good, man!

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
  #9
Ra
satan is my homie
 
Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
I proclaim my mancrush on Eller far and wide and get laughed at a lot for it, but I really like him. I don't think he'll produce heavy points yet (or ever, really), but I love how he plays. This is great stuff to see.
Me too. He shows so much potential. He got the size, the skills and the head to be a dominant player. His only problem is that he hold on to the puck too much, still I prefer that to a player that can't keep the puck.

It was painful to see him play with players who couldn't keep up with him, but the Eller-AK duo was a treat to watch, even when they were not racking up points.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
  #10
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,383
vCash: 50
Alright, let's try and keep this about Eller. No need to bring up the Bruins or what is said on their board.

__________________
This is not a time to say goodbye. This is a time to say 'thank you'.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:14 PM
  #11
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Alright, let's try and keep this about Eller. No need to bring up the Bruins or what is said on their board.
That sounds like something a bruins fan would say, doesn't it, Horton18Horton?!







Anyway, I'm really excited to watch Eller play this season. You could basically see him growing as a player all last season and towards the end he was playing like a 45-50 point player.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
  #12
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,332
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
I proclaim my mancrush on Eller far and wide and get laughed at a lot for it, but I really like him. I don't think he'll produce heavy points yet (or ever, really), but I love how he plays. This is great stuff to see.
Laughed at? Anyone who would laugh at an Eller mancrush is...beyond help.

I saw that they released Eller Habs t-shirts this summer, can't wait to pick one up. He's going to have a big year, I can feel it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
  #13
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,383
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
That sounds like something a bruins fan would say, doesn't it, Horton18Horton?!







Anyway, I'm really excited to watch Eller play this season. You could basically see him growing as a player all last season and towards the end he was playing like a 45-50 point player.
Don't make me kill you.

I agree, I'm really excited as well to see how Eller progresses this season. He showed a lot of promise late in the year when he was paired with Kostitsyn.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
  #14
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Yeah I don't get how the rest of the leagues fans don't see the potential in this guy. I guess if you only saw him play at the start of the season... but anyway I can't forget when it took 5 Bruins players to know him off the puck. That is something that imo isn't just a fluke. He has some skills and if he ever puts it all together he'll be a tremendous two-way center.



Was this the time? Or was it a second time?

Also unrelated but made me laugh (again)



That surely bit him in the ass.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
  #15
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,487
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Don't make me kill you.

I agree, I'm really excited as well to see how Eller progresses this season. He showed a lot of promise late in the year when he was paired with Kostitsyn.
If everyone stays healthy for a change, we got a hell of a 3rd line in DD-Eller and Kostitsyn. Should be fun to watch

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
  #16
Habsland35
Registered User
 
Habsland35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah I don't get how the rest of the leagues fans don't see the potential in this guy. I guess if you only saw him play at the start of the season... but anyway I can't forget when it took 5 Bruins players to know him off the puck. That is something that imo isn't just a fluke. He has some skills and if he ever puts it all together he'll be a tremendous two-way center.



Was this the time? Or was it a second time?

Also unrelated but made me laugh (again)



That surely bit him in the ass.
hahaha i noticed that on the replay after they scored...i couldnt stop laughing...freakin priceless...the only hab fan in that section, the guy had balls lollll

Habsland35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:15 PM
  #17
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,383
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If everyone stays healthy for a change, we got a hell of a 3rd line in DD-Eller and Kostitsyn. Should be fun to watch
I have my fingers crossed, which makes it really difficult to type right now.

Of all our lines, that's the one I'm looking forward to seeing the most. I hope Martin agrees and decides to put those three together.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
  #18
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,487
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I have my fingers crossed, which makes it really difficult to type right now.

Of all our lines, that's the one I'm looking forward to seeing the most. I hope Martin agrees and decides to put those three together.
Now that Pyatt is gone, there shouldn't be a reason why he doesn't play those 3 together, well I hope

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:53 PM
  #19
matCH penalty
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Laughed at? Anyone who would laugh at an Eller mancrush is...beyond help.
Nah, I get why people don't dig him as much as some of us do, especially around the league... but I do believe that will change. And sooner rather than later, other fans will start saying "Eller" with asterisks around it.

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 02:56 PM
  #20
Born in 1909
Vive la France!
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,965
vCash: 500
He'd better be looking forward to it...

These rookies have a chance a being financially set for life if they can bring it.

Unlike the shmoes of the planet who toil endlessly in poverty and obscurity.

Pardon the cynicism

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
  #21
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Now that Pyatt is gone, there shouldn't be a reason why he doesn't play those 3 together, well I hope
I see two main problems that have affected us. One of the being injuries and the other is that our lines can become stagnant. We have a lot of streaky players on the team and JM doesn't like keeping lines together when they don't produce, so he's often changing the lines around.

It would be nice to have lines set up at the beginning of the season and have them stay the same the whole season (barring injuries). That's how guys create chemistry. For example, the Sedins. Alone, they're great players, but they've played together so long that when they play together they jump up a level in terms of skill. It's the same for non-twins; if you get guys together for a while they learn each others playing styles and they compliment each other.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:03 PM
  #22
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Now that Pyatt is gone, there shouldn't be a reason why he doesn't play those 3 together, well I hope
I am so relieved Pyatt is gone! He had the perverse talent of making any linemate not named Ovechkin look anemic.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:16 PM
  #23
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I see two main problems that have affected us. One of the being injuries and the other is that our lines can become stagnant. We have a lot of streaky players on the team and JM doesn't like keeping lines together when they don't produce, so he's often changing the lines around.

It would be nice to have lines set up at the beginning of the season and have them stay the same the whole season (barring injuries). That's how guys create chemistry. For example, the Sedins. Alone, they're great players, but they've played together so long that when they play together they jump up a level in terms of skill. It's the same for non-twins; if you get guys together for a while they learn each others playing styles and they compliment each other.
Most coaches shuffle the lines periodically over the course of a season, this is not unique of Martin, although he may do it a little more than others. Really though, the Plek-Cammy duo and Gomez-Gionta duo have been pretty constant - the challenge has been to find long term players to complete those lines, which we may have this year in Cole and Pac.

That said, I wouldn't mind a bit of shuffling. We have a good top 9 this year, and I think different combinations could work. For example, I wouldn't mind seeing Cole with DD and Eller and Kostitsyn with Plek-Cammy. It gives that third line more balance in terms of leadership and veteran presence, and it gives Kostitsyn one last chance to prove he can be a top 6 player in his contract year. I know some might point out that we didn't sign Cole to 4.5mil to play on the third line, but I'm not opposed to lining up with whatever combination works the best.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
  #24
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I see two main problems that have affected us. One of the being injuries and the other is that our lines can become stagnant. We have a lot of streaky players on the team and JM doesn't like keeping lines together when they don't produce, so he's often changing the lines around.

It would be nice to have lines set up at the beginning of the season and have them stay the same the whole season (barring injuries). That's how guys create chemistry. For example, the Sedins. Alone, they're great players, but they've played together so long that when they play together they jump up a level in terms of skill. It's the same for non-twins; if you get guys together for a while they learn each others playing styles and they compliment each other.
Read pretty much any hockey forum and fan's think their team's coach shuffles lines too much. Its pretty much standard practice these days to shuffle the players if a team is underperforming. Not to mention there are tactical situation that call for switching the lines (like bringing up a solid defensive player like Moen or Halpern to protect a lead or stacking one or two lines with the best offensive players when behind in the hope of maximizing chances to score.

Also, Montreal's players really aren't any more streaky than anyone elses. You just notice them more for it because that's the team you follow. Pretty much every offensive player that isn't among the very elite can be considered "streaky" just due to how 20 something goals and 50 something points will be randomly distributed throughout a season.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
  #25
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
That said, I wouldn't mind a bit of shuffling. We have a good top 9 this year, and I think different combinations could work. For example, I wouldn't mind seeing Cole with DD and Eller and Kostitsyn with Plek-Cammy. It gives that third line more balance in terms of leadership and veteran presence, and it gives Kostitsyn one last chance to prove he can be a top 6 player in his contract year. I know some might point out that we didn't sign Cole to 4.5mil to play on the third line, but I'm not opposed to lining up with whatever combination works the best.
Patches will probably get more 3rd line ice time than Cole this year unless he just becomes an absolute beast.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.