Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
BagHead

vCash: 500
I usually decide to stay out of politics on hockey forums, but on THIS I just could not resist.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:16 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
They did elect Bachmann to Congress >.>
AGAIN, please do NOT lump all of Minnesota into that as she was not elected state wide, only in one district!

Old
08-24-2011, 11:39 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I'm sure many have already seen this.. but I know quite a few posters here don't leave the Minnesota board on here...

This was a great post putting into perspective Granlund's accomplishment as a 19yro on Finland's national team at the World Championships... this was posted in the Toronto thread where they thought they could offer kibble for our future star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
The teenager world champions concept caught my interest and I looked into it a bit as I figured that the mentioned Forsberg (who was actually still 18 and had six points in eight games when he won it in 1992), Toews and Granlund probably aren't the only ones. Other than Forsberg, I looked at the last twelve years.

2011 - Mikael Granlund 9. 2+7=9 (19)
2007 - Jonathan Toews 9. 2+5=7 (19), Jordan Staal 9. 0+2=2 (18)
2006 - Nicklas Backstrom 4. 0+0=0 (18) (While he didn't play many games, he apparently played with Zetterberg and Franzen when he did and failed to produce)
2004 - Patrice Bergeron 9. 1+0=1 (18)
2003 - Jay Bouwmeester 9. 3+4=7 (19)
2000 - Martin Havlat 9. 2+1=3 (19)

So, seven players in twelve years, three of them (Bouwmeester, Toews, Granlund) able/in position to make a difference. Bouwmeester is definitely the best of the bunch here as far as tournament performance goes, finishing second in d-man scoring and being the only one with awards (best defenceman, all-star d-man), but it's hard not to place Granlund second. Most points of these players, second-highest scorer on his team (Bouwmeester is next as t-3rd, Toews 7th), eighth in tournament scoring (Bouwmeester t-18th, Toews t-30th).

While I'm not sure how much one should read into the World Championship (which is pretty much why I looked into this, trying to put Granlund's accomplishments there into perspective), I must say I'm impressed by both the quality and the (lack of) quantity. Before Granlund, every single player that's joined this "club" in the last twelve years has gone on to become at least a very good NHLer and most are star players, possibly all depending on how you define a star player. Not one has failed. Here's hoping Granlund isn't the first one.

Old
08-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Caior89

Someone really should close that tread.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:50 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Leave it to someone in that thread to take that post completely wrong...

Old
08-25-2011, 12:55 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
Someone really should close that tread.
I have an eye on the thread but it's okay right now.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-25-2011, 01:35 AM
thomast

There is only Slight chances that he fails in the NHL, There haven't been a player from Finland with that maturity and with his statsheet. Only serious injury will take him away from NHL. Wild fans are pretty pessimistic about his projection. I Would be Very disappointed if he isn't ppg+ player at his prime. Of course 100 Pts is Very unlikely but 90pts isn't out of the question with talent what wild possesses. He's getting good player to play with. If Mikko koivu is nearly ppg with mittens, and bruno. Granlund should imo More with Better players.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:39 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
There is only Slight chances that he fails in the NHL, There haven't been a player from Finland with that maturity and with his statsheet. Only serious injury will take him away from NHL. Wild fans are pretty pessimistic about his projection. I Would be Very disappointed if he isn't ppg+ player at his prime. Of course 100 Pts is Very unlikely but 90pts isn't out of the question with talent what wild possesses. He's getting good player to play with. If Mikko koivu is nearly ppg with mittens, and bruno. Granlund should imo More with Better players.
Not sure where you get that idea from... I think most if not all Wild fans are pretty damn OPTIMISTIC about him!

Old
08-25-2011, 01:51 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Not sure where you get that idea from... I think most if not all Wild fans are pretty damn OPTIMISTIC about him!
Ive seen mostly, projections in the range of 70-80pts at prime which isn't bad, but with that talent he should be better.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Ive seen mostly, projections in the range of 70-80pts at prime which isn't bad, but with that talent he should be better.
No, with that skating it's just fine. The projection i mean.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:51 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
No, with that skating it's just fine. The projection i mean.
He's a good skater, good balance, needs to be quicker i agree but did you see how much he developed his quickness from last season?

Old
08-25-2011, 04:00 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
It's a conservative expectation, but that is still all-star caliber at center... not sure how you can say that's pessimistic.

Pessimistic would be saying that he isn't going to be anything better than an average player at best.

He will be a star for the Wild no doubt... it's safer to say he will level off as a 70-80pt player, and it's a more LIKELY outcome... but I do believe he has the potential to be a 90+pt player in his prime.

Old
08-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

IMO, it's better to be safe than sorry, I'd rather not want to get disappointed again, so I'll project him to a 60-70p NHL player with a upside to get better than that.
Who knows, maybe he absolutely sucks on American size rink, can't handle the big strong defensemen and plays for roughly 70 games over 2 seasons before being dumped permantely to the AHL and never really getting into it again. Then going overseas to KHL and later retiring in HIFK 3rd line.

Oh no..

Old
08-25-2011, 06:08 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
IMO, it's better to be safe than sorry, I'd rather not want to get disappointed again, so I'll project him to a 60-70p NHL player with a upside to get better than that.
Who knows, maybe he absolutely sucks on American size rink, can't handle the big strong defensemen and plays for roughly 70 games over 2 seasons before being dumped permantely to the AHL and never really getting into it again. Then going overseas to KHL and later retiring in HIFK 3rd line.

Oh no..
Or maybe rips whole league. Yeah about ppg at center is More likely. But still compare Mikko koivus stats to Granlund. Mikko is about 70-75pt player with mittens and bruno. Granlund outplayed koivu offensively at wc, stole his place in the #1 pp unit. but most important that he will become great two-way player like Mikko koivu with more offensive production. A player who can play at every situation. He's already that in fel. Yes there is faster and stronger players in NHL but you guys make it sound like there is very big difference it's quite big but it's arguable which is harder to adapt into fel in teenager body against former NHL players and 1st round picks as a 17 year old with an average skating or into NHL in adult body and Well above average skater as an 20 year old? Is there a big difference IMO no. Granlund has stated himself that he like More the na rinks because offensive zone is bigger and goals are closer. Game pace is the biggest worry, Granlund have to adapt for it and players are actualy better and smarter. Granlund is one of the surest things in prospect world. At hockey prospectus they projected him to be perennial all-star and atleast safely above average first liner. And i trust corey pronman and his scouts. He knows ALOT about prospects but he can't tell te future. All we can is to wait 1 More year When He's even Better than now.

Last edited by thomast: 08-25-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old
08-25-2011, 07:20 AM
EkiE

Quote:
Or maybe rips whole league. Yeah about ppg at center is More likely. But still compare Mikko koivus stats to Granlund. Mikko is about 70-75pt player with mittens and bruno. Granlund outplayed koivu offensively at wc, stole his place in the #1 pp unit. but most important that he will become great two-way player like Mikko koivu with more offensive production. A player who can play at every situation. He's already that in fel. Yes there is faster and stronger players in NHL but you guys make it sound like there is very big difference it's quite big but it's arguable which is harder to adapt into fel in teenager body against former NHL players and 1st round picks as a 17 year old with a average skating than into NHL in adult body and Well above average skater as an 20 year old? Is there a big difference IMO no. Granlund has stated himself that he like More the na rinks because offensive zone is bigger and goals are closer. Game pace is the biggest worry, Granlund have to adapt for it and players are actualy better and smarter. Granlund is one of the surest things in prospect world. At hockey prospectus they projected him to be perennial all-star and atleast safely above average first liner. And i trust corey pronman and his scouts. He knows ALOT about prospects but he can't tell te future. All we can is to wait 1 More year When He's even Better than now.
You are going to eat one big fat crow if he is not anything like you described

But seriously Im pretty sure its consensus here and even in the Wild management that "in Granlund we trust", so we wait and see what future holds.

Old
08-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Imagine if other countries would give as much respect for the IIHF champs...

Old
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I do think we are being conservative, but that's because as Minnesotans we are trying to be cautious to not get too excited and then heartbroken, because EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON EVERY SPORTS TEAM DOES THAT TO US.

Granlund at 50 points or less would be a disappointment.
Granlund at 70-80 points would be great.
Granlund at 90+ points would be AMAZING.

Old
08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I do think we are being conservative, but that's because as Minnesotans we are trying to be cautious to not get too excited and then heartbroken, because EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON EVERY SPORTS TEAM DOES THAT TO US.

Granlund at 50 points or less would be a disappointment.
Granlund at 70-80 points would be great.
Granlund at 90+ points would be AMAZING.
I'm interested to see Mikko's stats this year now that he has real linemates. I think that will be a good reference point for what we should expect Granlund to achieve.

/note, that's just a reference point, not a high, low, or average mark for him

Old
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
thomast

IMAGINE this if they had wild jersey's and koivu had stanley cup at minnesota? These guys know how to celebrate with fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPz3...eature=related

Guess when Granlund jump's into stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXYV...eature=related

Epic video

Old
08-25-2011, 01:35 PM
melinko

The European Trophy game is currently live if anyone wants to follow along.

http://www.europeantrophy.com/live79.html

The status updates are kinda funny:

07:00 Mikael Granlund dekes, but his effort was weak to pass throught Sparta´s defense.

01:17 Mikko Kousa tries to score, but his shot has stopped by Popperle.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like that nothing at all happened in the 1st.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
ford0016

Quote:
IMAGINE this if they had wild jersey's and koivu had stanley cup at minnesota? These guys know how to celebrate with fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPz3...eature=related

Guess when Granlund jump's into stage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXYV...eature=related

Epic video
haha wow thats awesome

Old
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Even if Granlund busts in the NHL, he already has had a huge impact on Finnish hockey. Bigger than anyone in the last 15 years really. Our juniors never had that "Forsberg deke" to look up to until this day.

Not that it makes you wild fans feel any better if he busts. Just somehting that has been in my mind for a while.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:

Ha. That's great. I think Koivu and Granlund's playing styles are evident by the way they speak to the crowd.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:02 PM
melinko

I actually like the little details this live play by play gives, really helps you imagine how plays are happening.

18:56 Popperle had to pass quickly, Mikael Granlund was behind the net by three steps.

Closed Thread