HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2011, 03:04 PM
  #76
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,292
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The one point for OT or SO losses = the one point they were getting when the system has tied games. BOTH teams deserve at least that one point for the overall effort during 60 minutes.

If you give 3 points for a win in regulation, you gonna have a hell of a game !
But there was also a time when we had ties and no point was awarded to an OT loser. The loser point's sole reason for existence was to encourage teams to go for the win in OT so we'd have less ties. When they decided to add the SO that should have been it for the loser point, but they decided to keep it anyway either because they themselves don't fully support the notion of shootouts or they wanted to placate the parties that opposed them as a legitimate way to end hockey games.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
  #77
Roke
Registered User
 
Roke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
But there was also a time when we had ties and no point was awarded to an OT loser. The loser point's sole reason for existence was to encourage teams to go for the win in OT so we'd have less ties. When they decided to add the SO that should have been it for the loser point, but they decided to keep it anyway either because they themselves don't fully support the notion of shootouts or they wanted to placate the parties that opposed them as a legitimate way to end hockey games.
The loser point creates the illusion of more teams being in the playoff race and that has been the purpose of it since the shootout came into use.

Roke is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
  #78
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,292
vCash: 50
Boston Smurfs?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=973709

Makes you wonder about the perceived 'size issue' when the difference in average height between the tallest and shortest team is just over 2%.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
  #79
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Boston Smurfs?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=973709

Makes you wonder about the perceived 'size issue' when the difference in average height between the tallest and shortest team is just over 2%.
The thing is, much of that height comes from Gill and Price, who are 6'7 and 6'4.

Gainey#1* is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 03:00 PM
  #80
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
The thing is, much of that height comes from Gill and Price, who are 6'7 and 6'4.
And Chara must be 5'11

Andy is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
  #81
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,292
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
The thing is, much of that height comes from Gill and Price, who are 6'7 and 6'4.
That's completely offset by Chara being 6'9" and Rask being 6'2" (+2-2"). And most every site has Price at 6'3".

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
  #82
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
The thing is, much of that height comes from Gill and Price, who are 6'7 and 6'4.
Take of any teams biggest guys and they get smaller. By the same token Montreal would be much bigger if you discounted Gionta and Desharnais. There is a reason you take the average or median.

Talks to Goalposts is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
  #83
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
The thing is, much of that height comes from Gill and Price, who are 6'7 and 6'4.
How many teams have Halak-sized goalies? Price isn't that much taller than most goalies.

And Price is usually listed as 6'3".

Et le But is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
  #84
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 500
Guys, Marchand still doesn't have a contract...how much do you think he will get? And for how long?

9M for 3 yrs???

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 07:19 PM
  #85
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Guys, Marchand still doesn't have a contract...how much do you think he will get? And for how long?

9M for 3 yrs???
I think he will get around 4, I hate the guy but he was key in the playoffs and played his best games against Vancouver in games 6 and 7, guy shows up!

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 07:22 PM
  #86
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think he will get around 4, I hate the guy but he was key in the playoffs and played his best games against Vancouver in games 6 and 7, guy shows up!
The guy will not get more than a one-year deal. 2.5 max.

habitue* is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 08:17 PM
  #87
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Zach Bogosian is interesting as well. Is there anyway to know how much he actually made out of his $3.75 ELC last year?

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
  #88
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The guy will not get more than a one-year deal. 2.5 max.
We shall see. What's interesting in all of this is that Marchand's agent is the same as Phil Kessel's, so it won't be an easy negociation for the bruins camp. I hope he doesn't get less than 3 per year, would be a steal for the bruins

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 03:01 AM
  #89
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,663
vCash: 50
Anyone else concerned about crosby? Unusual. He's still got a symptoms and a long time passed. He may not be ready for start of season.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 03:20 AM
  #90
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
It is a shame really.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 07:33 AM
  #91
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone else concerned about crosby? Unusual. He's still got a symptoms and a long time passed. He may not be ready for start of season.
NHL=garage league !!!

How many more talented players are they gonna loose because they don't apply rules properly.

They should change the equipment too. Softer elbow and shoulder pads. Better helmets.

habitue* is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 07:40 AM
  #92
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
NHL=garage league !!!

How many more talented players are they gonna loose because they don't apply rules properly.

They should change the equipment too. Softer elbow and shoulder pads. Better helmets.
You are right, the equipment needs to be looked at....Grapes will be on this all year long, again...he is an idiot most nights, but when it comes to player safety, he is usually spot on!

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 08:24 AM
  #93
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I wonder how severe his headaches are, and if enough rest can even "fix" his brain. Has anyone even asked Savard how he feels this summer?

Bergeron was able to come back, hopefully Crosby can because he was on an absolute tear last season.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 08:31 AM
  #94
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
Helmets don't prevent concussions...they prevent your skull from getting cracked...concussions are caused by your brain hitting your skull...you can't prevent that with equipment.

If you want to end concussions you need to change the way the game is played...for instance any type of hit to the end needs to be banned. Hell even that won't end them as there are other ways to get concussions aside from headshots, but its a start.


Last edited by Andy: 08-25-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Andy is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
  #95
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Helmets don't prevent concussions...they prevent your skull from getting cracked...concussions are caused by your brain hitting your skull...you can't prevent that with equipment.

If you want to end concussions you need to change the way the game is played...for instance any type of hit to the end needs to be banned.
I agree with what you said....I would also add that guys with armor are less likely to slow down going in then someone with no equipment on. Those shouder pads are hudge and hard and the same can be said about elbow pads.
Elbow pads should be like a boxing glove to the touch....not a malet
Not matter what, there will be freek contacts

otto bond is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
  #96
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,311
vCash: 243
I don't understand enough medically but if exercising @ 9@% or whatever gives you headaches, why not stop exercising instead of just reducing the level of exertion?

It seems obvious to me that exertion = headaches. Write off 3 months already, get real rest and don't prolong it.

Sometimes you need to look at the big picture, yea he is really close but if you can't repeatedly cross a threshold, exerting a fragile part isn't going to make it stronger like normal muscles. You can't rip your brain muscles and have them regrow stronger.

macavoy is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 08:52 AM
  #97
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I agree with what you said....I would also add that guys with armor are less likely to slow down going in then someone with no equipment on. Those shouder pads are hudge and hard and the same can be said about elbow pads.
Elbow pads should be like a boxing glove to the touch....not a malet
Not matter what, there will be freek contacts
Still...concussions are caused more by the velocity and speed of the impact rather than how hard the object you are getting hit with is.

Multiple changes need to be made in regards to way hits are delivered in the game.

Andy is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 09:00 AM
  #98
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Still...concussions are caused more by the velocity and speed of the impact rather than how hard the object you are getting hit with is.

Multiple changes need to be made in regards to way hits are delivered in the game.
That myth is busted....the harder the object, the harder the hit if you put the same speed and velocity.
Think about getting hit with a full bottle of beer and compare with the an empty one. At equal speed and velocity, the full one has a greater impact and would causes much more rattle in the skull.

otto bond is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 09:10 AM
  #99
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
That myth is busted....the harder the object, the harder the hit if you put the same speed and velocity.
Think about getting hit with a full bottle of beer and compare with the an empty one. At equal speed and velocity, the full one has a greater impact and would causes much more rattle in the skull.
Oh yah I saw that episode...the difference is though, that even if you make the elbow pads softer...your actual limb is not an empty bottle of bear, it still has significant weight can give a hell of blow. Look at soccer, people get concussions when their heads come into impact with other player limbs...changing the player equipment only mitigates the effect slightly and doesn't aim at removing the cause of them in the first place.

We can beat around the bush all we want, but something needs to be done with headshots...and screw this stupid notion of the"integrity of the game"...no body wants more crap like Crosby, Savard etc.

Andy is offline  
Old
08-25-2011, 09:18 AM
  #100
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Oh yah I saw that episode...the difference is though, that even if you make the elbow pads softer...your actual limb is not an empty bottle of bear, it still has significant weight can give a hell of blow. Look at soccer, people get concussions when their heads come into impact with other player limbs...changing the player equipment only mitigates the effect slightly and doesn't aim at removing the cause of them in the first place.

We can beat around the bush all we want, but something needs to be done with headshots...and screw this stupid notion of the"integrity of the game"...no body wants more crap like Crosby, Savard etc.
No no, I agree with you. I just adding that equipment could be better.
Now days, guys go into corners full speed and without fear cause they have armor like padding. It use to hurt a bit giving a body check but now its mostly hurt wen on the receiving end.
Also, Crosby first hit was an incident and a accident. The real guilty party here is Sidney himself and the Pens. After that 1st hit, he should have been check and taking out and make sure he wasn't concuss. Then the Hedman hit never happens.

otto bond is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.