HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wojtek's Busy Summer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-25-2011, 04:51 AM
  #26
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,746
vCash: 500
James Neal is there. Perhaps Wolski can talk to Neal about playing with Brad Richards. Its a big year for Wolski.

Neal-Richards-Eriksson

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik

Neal can be inconsistent at times. He thrived playing with Richards.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:51 AM
  #27
Sticky Fingers
Registered User
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 500
I want W2 on the first line, one main reason is that I don't wanna break up the pack line.

The BMW-line, Brad-Marian-Wojtek will be skilled enough to succed.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:31 AM
  #28
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,165
vCash: 873
I also have a feeling that Wolski is going to surprise alot.

Partly because of the fact that this is a walk year and he needs a big year to cash in, but more because of the effort he is putting in.

Confidence is so huge even with these guys and if he believes that he has benefitted from the off-season work, and he sees the results duing preseason, then I expect that he will have a good 60+ point season playing on that top line.

I respect the opinions expressed by some here that believe Brandon is a better fit with Richards and Gaborik, I just see the chemistry that Brandon has with Double A and Cally.

To me, that chemistry is something that should be capitalized on, not discarded.

I believe that Wolski is more talented than Dubinsky and in my opinion has a better shot at meshing in with both Richards and Gabby.

Either way, I expect a huge year from Wolski and that would be a major help in getting the Rangers where we want to be in April and May 2012

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:31 AM
  #29
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
i honestly think he will without a doubt put up at least 45 points. and that's if he doesn't put it together. If he finally puts it together, I wouldn't be shocked with 70+ pts. He has that much skill

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:48 AM
  #30
Matteau Matteau
Registered User
 
Matteau Matteau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
And yet somehow we are still stigmatized as an organization that only goes out and gets the big ticket free agents, and has no idea how to develop a player/system.

I'm glad that outsiders are taking notice. We have come a long way in that when we actually go out and get a big player, it's a player that actually fits in perfectly with what we're doing moving forward. Not just spending money because we can.
Yes, and we've been building a core from our own system. Hello idiots, we didn't go out and sign Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Stepan or Lundqvist.

I saw some moron on a message board say "This is just the Rangers being the Rangers" after we signed Richards.

Yeah, smartly addressing a big need in the off-season by signing a great guy at a discounted rate to add to our impressive core--that sounds just like throwing a ton of money at an aging and useless Bobby Holik!

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
  #31
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Him having a 45-50 point season goes a long way to increasing our chances in this conference.
He has the skill to put up a lot more, just needs to 'get it'

All this physical work is great but he'll also really have to buckle down mentally, as that's his biggest problem. I don't think that he doesn't care or is "heartless" or anything, I think some players just have a hard time keeping themselves at that high competition level where every shift or every game they go as hard as they can.

I doubt Wolski consciously lets his compete level drop, but it's just one of those things where one day you realize "crap, I'm coasting too much, not being proactive enough, not fighting hard enough for the puck", etc.

That's what he's going to have to bring every day to the rink to be really successful.

But hey, better skating and better conditioning sure as hell doesn't hurt.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:07 AM
  #32
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I know Stamkos did this training with Gary Roberts after his rookie season and it did absolute wonders for the kid. Not saying it will have that kind of profound effect on WW but it is a program that has gotten results for players thus far. I'm happy to hear he is doing alot to try and improve for this upcoming season and hopefully it translates on the stat sheet. I'll be rooting for him.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
  #33
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,398
vCash: 500
For the record it should not shock us if the guy puts up points. 2 yrs ago he had a fantastic yr. We need Wolski and Gaborik to light it up like they did a few yrs back and the offense will be stellar.

I think we can all agree we are confident with the top 5 of Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan and one of Anisimov/Stepan.

After that someone like WW needs to step up. This is his contract yr

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:10 AM
  #34
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
That's why I think Dubinsky would be a better fit as well. Wolski is inot an aggressive or physical player and if and until that changes I'd rather slot Dubinsky with Richards/Gaborik and anyway it's more important for us that Brandon becomes a 60-70 point guy. He's one of the main youthful faces on the team and also a guy who might possibly be wearing an A. Nice to see Wojtek putting in the extra work though.

By the way no one's mentioned it but John Mitchell is at the Nichols/Roberts camp too.
I agree with eco and BB, Dubinsky NEEDS to be on the top line. I've said it before in various other threads on the topic, but Wolski on the top line doesn't make sense. What is needed for Richards and Gaborik is an intimidating puck-hound to do the dirty work on the boards and bang in garbage goals. The obvious fit for this role is Dubinsky. Slotting in Wolski makes that one of the softest top lines in the league. We would be in huge trouble against physical teams, of which the Atlantic Division is full.

The fact of the matter is that I've yet to hear anyone give me a good reason why Wolski should realistically be playing 1LW over Dubi. All the arguments are rooted in keeping the Pack Line together. While I love having a homegrown line, keeping it together does more harm to Richards and Gaborik than benefit to Anisimov and Callahan. Is Dubinsky a better fit with Anisimov and Callahan than Wolski is? Of course. But the most net-benefit to the team lies with Dubinsky as 1LW.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:31 AM
  #35
skroob**
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
As an outsider looking in it's quite impressive how much initiative some guys on the Rangers are taking to improve their game. Last year it was Brian Boyle taking skating lessons, which paid HUGE dividends for him. This year Wolski's trying to improve himself...hell even Avery is practicing his physical game by getting into altercations with the Police .

But seriously though, the Rangers' culture has come a long way in like five years.
Thanks, now tell that to the main board who still think its 1998.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
  #36
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
I agree with Levitate that Wolski's barrier to success is mind, not body. Definitely great to see him putting in any kind of work that improves his game, but it alone won't really isn't going to unlock his potential.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:06 AM
  #37
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
great to see the effort he is putting forth...he could be the key to our season in many ways. if he steps up and fills the top line role that is huge for our depth and everything else falls into place sort of.

wolski is also a smart man. he sees giant $$. 1 year away from ufa status and a chance to play with richards and gaborik...he plays on the top line and has a huge year and he will cash in big time next summer. if he fails to make the line and has another so-so year he'll lose lots of $$. so smart on his part to do everything possible to show up ready to take that spot from day 1.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
  #38
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,506
vCash: 566
He also worked with Polish-Canadian, Hockey Guru, Jari Byrski up in Toronto along with Skinner, Stamkos, Spezza, & Cammalleri.

Quote:
Jason Spezza, the Mississauga-bred centre for the Ottawa Senators, walked into a dressing room recently. Before he sat down, he hopped over the equipment bag belonging to Mike Cammalleri, the Montreal Canadiens forward, and settled into a spot across from Jeff Skinner, the NHL rookie of the year, and Wojtek Wolski, the New York Rangers winger.

Why was the foursome of pros, slated to make a combined salary of about $20 million next season, spending a summer’s day at the decaying Vaughan Iceplex, where the goal nets, like the walls, have holes? They were there to see Jari Byrski, the noted skill development coach.
http://www.thestar.com/article/10364...al-hockey-guru

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:50 AM
  #39
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
James Neal is there. Perhaps Wolski can talk to Neal about playing with Brad Richards. Its a big year for Wolski.

Neal-Richards-Eriksson

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik

Neal can be inconsistent at times. He thrived playing with Richards.
I mean Dubinsky can be inconsistent sometimes; and like Neal, it's not the same as Wolski. The hockey IQ is there, they play more physically.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:06 AM
  #40
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Typically this helps a player. The amount of want-to a player has is extremely important. No coincidence that most of the successful players in sports also are the guys who work the hardest.

Hopefully he takes the most out of it and busts his ass with the Rangers because he's going to get every opportunity. And I also think it's a testament to Torts that he seems to get this out of players.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:13 AM
  #41
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,506
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
This is how I see it:

Richards' game revolves around the cylce. Neither of Gaborik or Wolski are good board players; if you put Richards with two linemates that cannot positively affect his style of play, you're setting him up to fail.

Dubinsky is a perfect fit on that line. He'll work the boards with Richards, while Gaborik gets open in the front of the net.
Richards played with Neal and Erickson, once Gabby gets going and we get away from camp the only time those three should be together is during the 1st unit PP. Else its Dubinsky Richards Callahan hitting the boards and playing the cycle game and pounding the pucks into the net. We saw the Wolski Stepan Gabby line last year and if Gabby is firing up and kept hot on the PP, Wolski is as good as he can be, and Stepan is the extra down low centerman the Rangers will have 2 hi powered lines. And that's what I think we'll end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Wolski's game is similar to Gaborik's, in that he doesn't really seize the play, but he lets the play come to him. Playing on a line with Anisimov and Callahan, he won't have to make his own space. Their board play will open space for him, and allow him to be that stealth scorer that he is.
AA is more of a shutdown type and also plays a passive game at times. On the other hand, Stepan plays all out and the bigger the game, the bigger he plays. Steps is also a playmaker over a shooter. Two puck carriers in Stepan and Wolski is best for Gabby, who prefers not to carry the puck, rather than Cally who is more of a shooter and AA a two-way guy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
  #42
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
He also worked with Polish-Canadian, Hockey Guru, Jari Byrski up in Toronto along with Skinner, Stamkos, Spezza, & Cammalleri.



http://www.thestar.com/article/10364...al-hockey-guru
Sounds like he's seen every self help expert but Dr. Phil.

(Which if indeed his head needs the most work...)

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
  #43
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,154
vCash: 500
W2 worked on his skating, strength and skills this summer, all with the top coach available. Like I said before, he may never have the IQ and the consistency we want, but if he improves his ability across the board even a little bit, we wont care.

The kid is averaging over 50 points per every 80 games, and that includes his off-season last year. That's more than any Ranger not named Gabby or Brad.

If his improved strength, speed and skill (even a little each) can get him to 60 points on the second line with Anisimov/Stepan and Callahan (or 70 points with superstars Gabby and Brad), nobody will care that he is inconsistent.

I suspect that a 25+35 season will satisfy even his harshest critics. For this reason, I think his trying to improve every possible aspect of the game that can possibly be improved in the summer, may be great for his development. If he knocks in 60+ points, nothing else will matter.

And as for his hockey sense, considering how hard he has worked all summer long on everything, I suspect he spent plenty of time watching tapes of play breakdowns as well as actual games. You don't know about it because what is he supposed to do - announce that he sits at home watching tapes? You know how much he would be mocked for that by fans who don't understand that this is an essential part of improving yourself as a player?

W2 is very close to being a great top 6 player. Just a little improvement in his strength, speed, skills and hockey sense will be enough for him to go from a whipping boy to a fan favorite who will be seen as completely unavailable in any trade by half the fan base.


Last edited by Beacon: 08-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
  #44
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Richards played with Neal and Erickson, once Gabby gets going and we get away from camp the only time those three should be together is during the 1st unit PP. Else its Dubinsky Richards Callahan hitting the boards and playing the cycle game and pounding the pucks into the net. We saw the Wolski Stepan Gabby line last year and if Gabby is firing up and kept hot on the PP, Wolski is as good as he can be, and Stepan is the extra down low centerman the Rangers will have 2 hi powered lines. And that's what I think we'll end up with.


AA is more of a shutdown type and also plays a passive game at times. On the other hand, Stepan plays all out and the bigger the game, the bigger he plays. Steps is also a playmaker over a shooter. Two puck carriers in Stepan and Wolski is best for Gabby, who prefers not to carry the puck, rather than Cally who is more of a shooter and AA a two-way guy.
There's no reason that Anisimov and Callahan can't play the cycle game with Wolski on the line. When people say Wolski doesn't play that style it doesn't mean he doesn't know how to cycle, every hockey player cycles the puck from time to time, it's just that AA, Dubi, Cally, Boyle, etc. do it very well and like to do it.

When we saw Gabby at his best it was when there was a combination of Dubinsky, Prospal or Christensen on his line. Dubinsky and Prospal both are guys that go in and get the puck and create space simply by being beasts in the dirty areas. Christensen on his best day is what Richards plays like almost every night. You need someone to go get the puck sometimes, because if a line has absolutely no dump and chase game in today's NHL they're not going to be very successful.

You're grasping at straws to say that because we saw Stepan, Wolski and Gaborik have one or two good games together that we should probably stick with Wolski as our top left wing. Last season we rarely saw Wolski or Stepan on the first line. Wolski had his best games with Stepan and Zuccarello. That line flourished for awhile, and IMO it's because as small as Zuccarello is he plays a dump and chase game and digs pucks out of the corners, and Stepan likes to cycle the puck and is a blue collar kind of forward in his own respect.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
  #45
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
W2 worked on his skating, strength and skills this summer, all with the top coach available. Like I said before, he may never have the IQ and the consistency we want, but if he improves his ability across the board even a little bit, we wont care.

The kid is averaging over 50 points per every 80 games, and that includes his off-season last year. That's more than any Ranger not named Gabby or Brad.

If his improved strength, speed and skill (even a little each) can get him to 60 points on the second line with Anisimov/Stepan and Callahan (or 70 points with superstars Gabby and Brad), nobody will care that he is inconsistent.

I suspect that a 25+35 season will satisfy even his harshest critics. For this reason, I think his trying to improve every possible aspect of the game that can possibly be improved in the summer, may be great for his development. If he knocks in 60+ points, nothing else will matter.

And as for his hockey sense, considering how hard he has worked all summer long on everything, I suspect he spent plenty of time watching tapes of play breakdowns as well as actual games. You don't know about it because what is he supposed to do - announce that he sits at home watching tapes? You know how much he would be mocked for that by fans who don't understand that this is an essential part of improving yourself as a player?

W2 is very close to being a great to 6 player. Just a little improvement in his strength, speed, skills and hockey sense will be enough for him to go from a whipping boy to a fan favorite who will be seen as completely unavailable in any trade by half the fan base.
Zherdev lead our team in scoring and he was still crucified for the negative. Unless Wolski figures out how to not be a floater and the type of guy that looks like he has a mental disorder when it comes to thinking in a productive way on the ice, he's going to have a hard time in New Y ork and especially under Tortarella.

I have a hard time saying he'll get to 50+ points if he doesn't improve his IQ because he'll be benched for sure.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
  #46
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
He also worked with Polish-Canadian, Hockey Guru, Jari Byrski up in Toronto along with Skinner, Stamkos, Spezza, & Cammalleri.



http://www.thestar.com/article/10364...al-hockey-guru
hah, interesting. Byrski is a "noted child psychologist", must make him perfect for working with athletes

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:47 AM
  #47
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Most of this is likely moot as Torts will take whoever starts on the 1st line (WW or Dubi) and move them by the third shift of game one. However, I would like to see Wolski with Richards and Gabby because the skill level with those three is so high. Dubi doens't have skill at that level. And who says Richards and Gabby are soft? They do not fight but Richards is pretty feisty and Gabby is not soft. I agree they won't be the best defensive line but Wayne Gretzky was a +99 one year and he didn't play any defense. If they have the puck most of the time with our solid D and Hank behind them, I say we should try it. And then we have a solid 2nd line with the Pack line, a strong 3rd line (not sure who will fill it but the spots will have to be earned with talented guys ready to step in) and one of the best 4th lines in the game. Drop the puck!!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
  #48
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers
 
Hanke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Very impress how Wolski is working his ass off. I expect Wojtek to brake out.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
  #49
Chalfdiggity3
Registered User
 
Chalfdiggity3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Zherdev lead our team in scoring and he was still crucified for the negative. Unless Wolski figures out how to not be a floater and the type of guy that looks like he has a mental disorder when it comes to thinking in a productive way on the ice, he's going to have a hard time in New Y ork and especially under Tortarella.

I have a hard time saying he'll get to 50+ points if he doesn't improve his IQ because he'll be benched for sure.
First off, Wolski and Zherdev are two different types of players. Although both are extremely talented. This offseason has truly set the two apart. Zherdev is a player who thinks his talent alone should get him big pay days without consistant production and heart, along with never seeking any help for his game. Wolski on the other hand averages more pts per a season than Zherdev, has shown this offseason that he KNOWS he needs to work hard to be successful in the league. Sounds like two COMPLETELY different mindsets if you ask me. Lets give the kid a chance before all you Wolski haters carry on. The kid is still a kid and has used every source possible to improve his game.. Which by the way.. he averages aroudn 50pts per season.. How can you say he will have a hard time getting what he normally averages?

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:08 PM
  #50
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,062
vCash: 500
I have always liked W2

The guy is showing some serious determination and work ethic.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.