HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011-12 Washington Capitals

Old
08-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 500
2011-12 Washington Capitals

This may be moved, I wasn't sure what section this should go in. What is everyones predicition on BBs coaching this year, will we run and gun again or play a more defensive first styled approach again? I feel like this will depend on 8, 19, and 28s point production. What in Particular would you like to see as the season progresses? Offensive juggernaut or a well rounded post season style?

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Roccoman

ok i'll bite

Quote:
What is everyones predicition on BBs coaching this year, will we run and gun again or play a more defensive first styled approach again?
i think we will see both as the season moves on - i dont know which way they will start, i tend to think defensively since that is how they ended last year.

Quote:
I feel like this will depend on 8, 19, and 28s point production.
agreed %100 as well as whomever is the #2 center, which i think will be a carousel with MoJo, Laich, Halpern, Perrettu, and Backstrom at times

Quote:
What in Particular would you like to see as the season progresses? Offensive juggernaut or a well rounded post season style?
obviously what this team needs is to be a sound 2 way team, gritty and tough to play against, and the offensive cream needs to rise to the top.

post season form is something that teams have to evolve into over the course of the season. for me the most salient changes needed are:
  • more disciplined play
  • ACCOUNTABILITY
  • a better overall team plan besides "make a 1 on 1 play using your talent and score" - the offensive "plan" last season was very lacking
  • a more consistent effort level from the top 6... be a pain in the butt to play against and be responsible in all 3 zones
  • the big guns not being ridden so much over the grind of the regular season
  • ACCOUNTABILITY - and that means rewarding guys doing the "right" things with more icetime and "punishing" guys who are not

my final and unsolicited opinion: accountability wont happen. we'll have another 4th liner benched and called out in the media (ala Bradley last season) while the stars are just as guilty.

/optimism

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
BobRouse

As the season approaches more and more and I think about the lineup the Caps are fielding its seems to me that in a salary cap league they are absolutely stacked.

The addition of veterans is crucial and BB said he is going to more of a hybrid style and is going to up the offense which hopefully means they move away from the trap. If they move away from the trap the production of all their top players will increase.

our 3rd and 4th lines are vastly improved from last year. Full year of Wideman and Green along with more experience from Alzner/Carlson should be huge. Hamrlik is better than Schultz for Green's partner.

What I'd like to see?

Far more physical play across the entire lineup. We got rid of some softies (Gordon, Steckel, Flash, etc) and seem to have replaced them with more physical players (Sjogren, Halpern, Brouwer). Hopefully this will pay dividends.

We can play more up tempo and take more chances this year anyhow with Vokoun one would think. A vet goalie who you don't need to protect or shield.

I see nothing short of the President's trophy and I have to think they will be the team to beat in the East this year. The only position they don't have astonishing depth is at Center and thats not even terrible b/c the guys they have are good.

I'm really liking their chances and i suspect Boudreau hate will diminish this year.

The team also seems to be more serious about their offseason training and hopefully less optional practices.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
txpd

BR...a couple of points

1. Has there ever been a time where you didnt wanted to see more physical play from the Caps? kidding

2. My initial thinking is that the Caps are going to less hybrid their styles of the past two seasons into one style than play both styles when situations require. Meaning I think the run and gun Caps return to a great degree, but after securing a good lead or late lead that instead of looking to create seperation they revert to last season and choke off the opposition and close them out.

With a continued strong pk, you'd think the 09-10 offensive juggernaut that pounced on teams in first periods would be brutal to play against when after establishing a lead they then became last season's team that gave up next to nothing.

3. don't jump to the conclusion that vokoun is a "A vet goalie who you don't need to protect or shield". there is very little evidence of that on his resume. it may be true, but both nashville and florida during his tenures were teams that played defense first and protecting him against prime scoring chances was their first priority.

i have said previous that i thought jose theodore did well with the capitals because he was a very good jailbreak goalie. he was less skill against a strong "half court" offense.
vokoun didnt have to deal with many jailbreaks in florida or nashville. just consistant half court pressure playing for teams that had the puck in their own end more often than in their offensive end.

to say vokoun is an elite level jail break goalie to back up a run and gun team or a proven playoff winner is a complete misread of this player's value and false.

4. you would have to think this team finishes first in the east again. they might as well. a 1 seed comes with that pressure again, but at this point if they struggle enough in the regular season not to finish first, there will be enough pressure created by whatever problems slow them down to equal or surpass the pressure of being first again.

frankly, if ovechkin and backstrom return to their career averages and johansson, carlson and alzner dont have 2nd season regression, i am not sure how any nhl east teams beats them in the regular season standings.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
BR...a couple of points

1. Has there ever been a time where you didnt wanted to see more physical play from the Caps? kidding.
As a matter of fact...NO!! Hey I think physical play is absolutely crucial and should be much higher on peoples depth chart than it is.

Quote:
2. My initial thinking is that the Caps are going to less hybrid their styles of the past two seasons into one style than play both styles when situations require. Meaning I think the run and gun Caps return to a great degree, but after securing a good lead or late lead that instead of looking to create seperation they revert to last season and choke off the opposition and close them out.

With a continued strong pk, you'd think the 09-10 offensive juggernaut that pounced on teams in first periods would be brutal to play against when after establishing a lead they then became last season's team that gave up next to nothing..
I can see that. Play the trap when they have a lead. Good strategy too rather than opening the game with the trap. I wouldn't even approach trapping til the 3rd period.

Quote:
3. don't jump to the conclusion that vokoun is a "A vet goalie who you don't need to protect or shield". there is very little evidence of that on his resume. it may be true, but both nashville and florida during his tenures were teams that played defense first and protecting him against prime scoring chances was their first priority.

i have said previous that i thought jose theodore did well with the capitals because he was a very good jailbreak goalie. he was less skill against a strong "half court" offense.
vokoun didnt have to deal with many jailbreaks in florida or nashville. just consistant half court pressure playing for teams that had the puck in their own end more often than in their offensive end.

to say vokoun is an elite level jail break goalie to back up a run and gun team or a proven playoff winner is a complete misread of this player's value and false..
I have my doubts about Vokoun too but Neuvirth last year was a highly unknown quantity. In addition he was young and a team has to protect its future by shielding a young goalies psyche. They don't have to worry about that with Vokoun. And he has played on the international stage and played well. He doesn't have much playoff experience but Nashville was undermanned and didnt they play detroit both times? Maybe not but still his sv pct was good.

Now that he is on the team I like Vokoun more. Probably biased here.

Quote:
4. you would have to think this team finishes first in the east again. they might as well. a 1 seed comes with that pressure again, but at this point if they struggle enough in the regular season not to finish first, there will be enough pressure created by whatever problems slow them down to equal or surpass the pressure of being first again..
Thats where a lot more vet presence should help. No rookies (well Sjogren but he played in the SEL and is older) on the team this year unlike last year as well. So glad Halpern is back.

Quote:
frankly, if ovechkin and backstrom return to their career averages and johansson, carlson and alzner dont have 2nd season regression, i am not sure how any nhl east teams beats them in the regular season standings.
I forsee all that happening. All the young guns will have markedly improved seasons IMO

It wouldn't shock me if they broke 120pts at this point..based on what I see on paper.

Old
08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
As a matter of fact...NO!! Hey I think physical play is absolutely crucial and should be much higher on peoples depth chart than it is.

I can see that. Play the trap when they have a lead. Good strategy too rather than opening the game with the trap. I wouldn't even approach trapping til the 3rd period.

I have my doubts about Vokoun too but Neuvirth last year was a highly unknown quantity. In addition he was young and a team has to protect its future by shielding a young goalies psyche. They don't have to worry about that with Vokoun. And he has played on the international stage and played well. He doesn't have much playoff experience but Nashville was undermanned and didnt they play detroit both times? Maybe not but still his sv pct was good.

Now that he is on the team I like Vokoun more. Probably biased here.

Thats where a lot more vet presence should help. No rookies (well Sjogren but he played in the SEL and is older) on the team this year unlike last year as well. So glad Halpern is back.

I forsee all that happening. All the young guns will have markedly improved seasons IMO

It wouldn't shock me if they broke 120pts at this point..based on what I see on paper.
I'll settle for 32 points, as long as they're all in the playoffs.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'll settle for 32 points, as long as they're all in the playoffs.
Well you see I think part of the big mistake of last year is that the players didn't really seemed to care about the regular season. They were just off the entire year tho towards the end there was improvement.

Its just hard to "turn it on" in the playoffs if you don't play with gusto in the regular season too in order to establish good habits.

They are a much more experienced team this year so I think they at least get 16pts in the playoffs this time around.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Well you see I think part of the big mistake of last year is that the players didn't really seemed to care about the regular season. They were just off the entire year tho towards the end there was improvement.

Its just hard to "turn it on" in the playoffs if you don't play with gusto in the regular season too in order to establish good habits.

They are a much more experienced team this year so I think they at least get 16pts in the playoffs this time around.
Oh I wasn't saying they shouldn't play hard in the regular season. I was saying that I already don't care at all how many points they have in the regular season.

That said, if they're playing well enough to win the Stanley Cup, I'm willing to bet they had a good regular season as well. 26 days 5 hours 39 minutes 30 seconds!

Old
08-26-2011, 01:04 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

My official prediction for the 2011-2012 season (and new emoticon theme for the week):

Old
08-26-2011, 07:32 AM
txpd

Quote:

Now that he is on the team I like Vokoun more. Probably biased here..
I think it would be a mistake to fail to recognize that Vokoun is going to be carrying a huge pressure load even in the regular season. By playoffs its going to be unreal.
You have the huge playoff monkey that every Cap will have to carry with the pressure Vokoun will carry because this may be his only chance.

I wonder how Boudreau and McPhee will be destroyed around here if Vokoun gives up a critical soft goal in the playoffs.

Quote:
Thats where a lot more vet presence should help. No rookies (well Sjogren but he played in the SEL and is older) on the team this year unlike last year as well. So glad Halpern is back..
I am very glad that Halpern is back. Frankly, I am fairly convinced that he is once again the actual Captain of the hockey team.

Quote:

we will see. i failed to mention in the previous post that i think the league has fundementally changed how it defends a team like the Capitals. i think you will find that Tampa Bay has some real scoring issues this season and Stamkos may not see 40 goals. If this is the case, the Caps run and gun days are done and they will need to find another way to get the puck in the net more often.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:20 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
I think it would be a mistake to fail to recognize that Vokoun is going to be carrying a huge pressure load even in the regular season. By playoffs its going to be unreal.
You have the huge playoff monkey that every Cap will have to carry with the pressure Vokoun will carry because this may be his only chance.

I wonder how Boudreau and McPhee will be destroyed around here if Vokoun gives up a critical soft goal in the playoffs..
What you say is true but I'd rather have a vet in there as opposed to a rookie. Still be a lot of pressure for sure.

BB and McPhee SHOULD be destroyed if the team fails in the playoffs again. They are directly responsible for building the team and style of play. But I don't think that will happen this year unless there are widespread injuries.

Quote:
I am very glad that Halpern is back. Frankly, I am fairly convinced that he is once again the actual Captain of the hockey team..
You know I was actually thinking of that but there aren't many players he played with here still left. Laich, Semin and Ovechkin...maybe Green? Either way he will be a vocal presence and I hope the fans embrace him as I was pretty ashamed when they booed him upon his return as a star. Not cool.

Quote:
we will see. i failed to mention in the previous post that i think the league has fundementally changed how it defends a team like the Capitals. i think you will find that Tampa Bay has some real scoring issues this season and Stamkos may not see 40 goals. If this is the case, the Caps run and gun days are done and they will need to find another way to get the puck in the net more often.

I don't know...the Caps trapped alot. They struggled against Tampa b/c their players just didn't play well and didn't play with confidence. They were not as experienced as a team as Tampa especially on D and in net. The 1-3-1 is way worse than the trap..whats next? Play five guys at your own blue line? lame

I think the Caps go back to some run n gun and they will have success with it. One thing about "run n gun" is that it should incorporate a heavy forecheck and with guys like Ward, Brouwer, Sjogren and Halpern replacing less physical/board savvy players I think this will suit their style.

But I give you that they should dump and chase a bit more instead of forcing stuff in the neutral zone. But when they dump they shouldn't use it as an opportunity to set up their trap..like they did last year.