HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Wow very interesting about Philly. I wonder if the Avs would have taken Murphy then? o_O

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

vCash: 500
Thanks for that, RS. Always interesting to hear about the behind the scenes workings at the draft.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Chatted with Duncs yesterday for a few minutes as we kicked off training camp.

First of all, the kid is SHREDDED. Much bigger, leaner and stronger this year than last. His shoulders look much wider and everything. If he was a horse last year, I can't wait to see him on the ice again this year.

He told me about the draft and how Philly told him after they moved up to 8th spot that they were going to take him, unless something crazy happened. As it turned out, Sean Couturier slid and fell into the hands of the Flyers. They called Duncan after they drafted SC and apologized, saying that they had to take a forward of Couturier's calibre if they had the chance. Found that very interesting.

He told me about how he traveled to Denver a couple times already and loved it. He said he got to meet some of the players, mostly the younger guys that were in town for rookie camp. No Duchene or Stastny though.

I also know that when Duncs and Landy went to Denver after the draft, the team took them house shopping. Yeah, house shopping.

Also a note that his ankle doesn't appear to be bothering him at all. He hurt it at World Junior camp and early rumours were that he strained ligaments in it. Good to see it's not bothering him.
Odd on the house shopping. I wonder if they expect them to both make the team. We could be very active moving depth players in the first few weeks of the season.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Wow very interesting about Philly. I wonder if the Avs would have taken Murphy then? o_O
Had Philly taken Seimens then Cooter, Hamilton and Brodin could have been an option over him + every other player drafted after Murphy.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:50 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Odd on the house shopping. I wonder if they expect them to both make the team. We could be very active moving depth players in the first few weeks of the season.
I think the house shopping was done more or less as a "holy ****, welcome to the NHL moment" type of thing for the guys. Probably helps get their name down on a contract when a team does something like that. Make them feel important.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
I think the house shopping was done more or less as a "holy ****, welcome to the NHL moment" type of thing for the guys. Probably helps get their name down on a contract when a team does something like that. Make them feel important.
One of them is going to need a place to stay in Denver this year. And one of them in a couple of years. So there is no reason not to bring both. I suspect Landeskogs search for a place to live was more serious.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:

First of all, the kid is SHREDDED. Much bigger, leaner and stronger this year than last. His shoulders look much wider and everything. If he was a horse last year, I can't wait to see him on the ice again this year.

He told me about the draft and how Philly told him after they moved up to 8th spot that they were going to take him, unless something crazy happened. As it turned out, Sean Couturier slid and fell into the hands of the Flyers. They called Duncan after they drafted SC and apologized, saying that they had to take a forward of Couturier's calibre if they had the chance. Found that very interesting.

He told me about how he traveled to Denver a couple times already and loved it. He said he got to meet some of the players, mostly the younger guys that were in town for rookie camp. No Duchene or Stastny though.

I also know that when Duncs and Landy went to Denver after the draft, the team took them house shopping. Yeah, house shopping.

Also a note that his ankle doesn't appear to be bothering him at all. He hurt it at World Junior camp and early rumours were that he strained ligaments in it. Good to see it's not bothering him.
Has he ever mentioned working on his offensive game? Or is he planning on only being a DFD?

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:52 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAv View Post
Has he ever mentioned working on his offensive game? Or is he planning on only being a DFD?
Never specifically asked him but I know the kind of guy he is. He wants to be as good as possible in every aspect of his game possible.

I actually just got back from practice and he looked awesome on the ice. At one point he broke down the off wing and fired a hard wrister past the goalie....bar down. Was a sick shot and something I've never seen him do.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Never specifically asked him but I know the kind of guy he is. He wants to be as good as possible in every aspect of his game possible.

I actually just got back from practice and he looked awesome on the ice. At one point he broke down the off wing and fired a hard wrister past the goalie....bar down. Was a sick shot and something I've never seen him do.
If you hear what weight he is running at will you let us size queens know?

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:36 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
If you hear what weight he is running at will you let us size queens know?
Weighed in at 205 yesterday. That's up from the 200 he was last year. He's standing a hair over 6'3.

He still looks like he could add another 20 pounds over the next few years once he really fills out. He just looks lean and mean right now.

We have to remember this kid is still only 17 years old.

Old
08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Weighed in at 205 yesterday. That's up from the 200 he was last year. He's standing a hair over 6'3.

He still looks like he could add another 20 pounds over the next few years once he really fills out. He just looks lean and mean right now.

We have to remember this kid is still only 17 years old.
I hope he destroys the competition in Saskatoon. I am going to try and catch a game as the team passes through Seattle.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:

That's just great to hear, if he improves his shot he's going to be a beast on both ends of the ice. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play in person this december, of course if he doesn't make the Avs.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:34 PM
ScotAv

Already falling in love with this guy.

Interesting to hear about Philly, thank god for Couturiers slide and the Jets slightly off the board pick of Schiefle.

What's his birthdate? Will be keeping a very close eye on him this year. Also, righty or lefty?

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
KingSizeKirby
#WhyNotUs?

[QUOTE=ScotJet;36207941]Already falling in love with this guy.

Interesting to hear about Philly, thank god for Couturiers slide and the Jets slightly off the board pick of Schiefle.

What's his birthdate? Will be keeping a very close eye on him this year. Also, righty or lefty?[/QUOTE]

September 7, 1993. Lefty.

KingSizeKirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

It's wild to think that he's still 17.

Caught his first scrimmage tonight. He was the best player on his team (which wasn't shocking considering he was one of 4 Blades players on his team, compared to a ton of 15-16 year olds). But he looked strong, made a few nice passes and even played with more of an edge than anyone else.

It was quite funny actually. Lukas Sutter smoked some young kid, who was on Duncan's team. Duncan went up to Sutter and shoved him and had a few words. These are two teammates during a scrimmage game, but Duncan makes it known that he will always play HIS game, regardless of the situation.

Was great to see.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:03 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
It's wild to think that he's still 17.

Caught his first scrimmage tonight. He was the best player on his team (which wasn't shocking considering he was one of 4 Blades players on his team, compared to a ton of 15-16 year olds). But he looked strong, made a few nice passes and even played with more of an edge than anyone else.

It was quite funny actually. Lukas Sutter smoked some young kid, who was on Duncan's team. Duncan went up to Sutter and shoved him and had a few words. These are two teammates during a scrimmage game, but Duncan makes it known that he will always play HIS game, regardless of the situation.

Was great to see.
So, what I can gather from what you've said through out this tread is that, Seimens is a bust.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:50 AM
avsman

Being that hes still 17, theres still a chance he could grow to be 6'4 or 6'5, if he gets a better shot and puts on 20-30 pounds he could be the next chris pronger easily, i love his game

avsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
Being that hes still 17, theres still a chance he could grow to be 6'4 or 6'5, if he gets a better shot and puts on 20-30 pounds he could be the next chris pronger easily, i love his game
Chris Pronger that can skate well.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:53 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
Next Chris Pronger easily? Let's tone the optimism down a notch, it's bad enough some fans this summer have been predicting that nothing at all will go wrong this season

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:58 AM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Next Chris Pronger easily? Let's tone the optimism down a notch, it's bad enough some fans this summer have been predicting that nothing at all will go wrong this season
Ok, maybe not easily, but the work ethic, size, and 2-way ability with a great phyisical presence and fluid skating stride give him alot of potential to be something special

avsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
He probably won't be the next Pronger, since Pronger in his prime was one of the best D-man ever when you take his overall impact on the game every single night, but he'll still be a 1st pairing D-man IMHO.

Old
08-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
So, what I can gather from what you've said through out this tread is that, Seimens is a bust.
Please don't start that nonsense.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:

RS I just gotta say it's really an honor having someone so close to the sport to post here... We all really enjoy your insight. Thanks a lot man.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:34 AM
avsfan9

its good from the sounds of that, he was the guy philly was gonna take at #8 and a type of player that the flyers targeted for their organization. I think he is going to be a very good blueliner for us. much better choice than murphy, the kid is small and soft. barrie and elliot will be just as good or better fit within our organization going forward. i think seimens is going to be a pronger-esque type of player, and i hope the avs go with a more physical type of hockey like the sharks, so teams don't walk all over us this year. speed, skill, grit and hard hits is the way they need to play.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
RS I just gotta say it's really an honor having someone so close to the sport to post here... We all really enjoy your insight. Thanks a lot man.
No worries man. More to come, all year