HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread 15 (NHL 12, Hurricane Irene)

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Hey weatherheads, think it's a bad idea to spend the weekend camping in the Middletown, NY area?
I used to live in Newburgh so I know that area well. I would wait until next week just to be safe because living in Florida has taught me that Hurricanes are not something to mess around with, especially since the area is only about and hour and a half away from the City and the Atlantic.

Old
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
How will Hoboken be affected by the tropical storm?

Old
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Its a category 3 now my friend said

Old
08-25-2011, 11:56 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Hoboken's Mayor was just on the news calling for a voluntary evacuation due to Hoboken's flooding issues. Stock up on food and water...

Old
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Thanks for the replies... I commute to Hoboken to go to Stevens and was wondering what my friends will have to do since they are dorming.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

I heard it's a C-3 now but will likely clip North Carolina and weaken to a C-2 because Hurrcanes + land = bad, for both the land and the hurricane.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I heard Bloomberg may be calling for an evacuation

Old
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
And 8 million people most of whom trapped on 4 islands are going....where exactly?

Old
08-25-2011, 12:20 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I heard it's a C-3 now but will likely clip North Carolina and weaken to a C-2 because Hurrcanes + land = bad, for both the land and the hurricane.
think they are saying it might get to C-4. doesnt look like it will direct hit the coast in NC.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Quote:
And 8 million people most of whom trapped on 4 islands are going....where exactly?
To be fair, this is the quote that the NYT is reporting:

Quote:
“If the worst scenario is going to happen this weekend, we will activate other elements of our Coastal Storm Plan, including the possibility of evacuating of New Yorkers who live in low-lying areas that could be affected,” Mr. Bloomberg said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/us...e.html?_r=1&hp

Old
08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
think they are saying it might get to C-4. doesnt look like it will direct hit the coast in NC.
Doesn't have to direct hit to weaken though. Any contact should help.

Old
08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
4670 points.
it was like 4 am when I started playing, I got to I forget where, the 4th or 5th landmark before closing the lappy

Old
08-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
depends on the water temperature. If the water is warm it is going to grow stronger, even if it does it the Carolinas. Hope you all are safe when it does end up hitting

Old
08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
depends on the water temperature. If the water is warm it is going to grow stronger, even if it does it the Carolinas. Hope you all are safe when it does end up hitting
There's alot of areas in New York that are very high up and very hilly like my neck of the woods. We'll be inconvenienced, but not hurt. I'm worried about the people in lower areas.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
When you evacuate, you leave the area that...

Old
08-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Storm surge is what I'm afraid for New York. You guys seem like you'll get ***** if a hurricane, like Irene, hit you guys.

In my area, we have signs that go up to 13 feet high saying, along the lines, if a decent hurricane hit this area, this is high how the storm surge can be. I know downtown Tampa and south Tampa would be literally underwater. Luckily for New York, you guys near as flat as this sand dune.

I live in the A zone for evacuations and any hurricane it's mandatory to leave.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
There's alot of areas in New York that are very high up and very hilly like my neck of the woods. We'll be inconvenienced, but not hurt. I'm worried about the people in lower areas.
I know man I used to live there I am just worried about the people in the lower areas and I have a lot of family on Staten Island and in Manhattan

Old
08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Taken from another thread:

Quote:

This particular run has landfall south of Sandy Hook -- which is pretty much a worst case scenario for the 5 boros. We fall on the east side as I said before. That quadrant sees the most damaging winds.

The Rains look to be a very very very serious matter. I think this si one thing we wont miss out on whatever happens with this storm:

When Bloomberg talks tonight or tomorrow he's going to announce the evacuations via zones. That's how it's done.

To find out what zone you fall under put in your address here http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/index.htm

Residents in Zone A face the highest risk of flooding from a hurricane's storm surge. Zone A includes all low-lying coastal areas and other areas that could experience storm surge in ANY hurricane that makes landfall close to New York City.

Residents in Zone B may experience storm surge flooding from a MODERATE (Category 2 or higher) hurricane.

Residents in Zone C may experience storm surge flooding from a MAJOR hurricane (Category 3 & 4) making landfall just south of New York City. A major hurricane is unlikely in New York City, but not impossible.

08-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Taken from another thread:
Link isn't working.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Storm surge is what I'm afraid for New York. You guys seem like you'll get ***** if a hurricane, like Irene, hit you guys.

In my area, we have signs that go up to 13 feet high saying, along the lines, if a decent hurricane hit this area, this is high how the storm surge can be. I know downtown Tampa and south Tampa would be literally underwater. Luckily for New York, you guys near as flat as this sand dune.

I live in the A zone for evacuations and any hurricane it's mandatory to leave.
I live in Tampa and we are an A zone as well.

When my parents bought a house down in Cape Coral back in 04, Hurricane Charley came about 2 weeks later and destroyed a whole bunch of ****. Our house was fine though, and I was on my way back up to NY because we had not planned to move until 05 and we were just checking out the new house and having a bit of a vacation. We heard Charley was coming and dipped the **** out

Old
08-25-2011, 01:44 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

TV question here:

Looking to switch from Comcast to Directv, as I'm sick of paying a ****ton of money for TV and internet. If I order a Directv package that includes MSG, MSGHD, and MSG+HD, do I still need to order Center Ice in order to watch Ranger games? If no, will I miss any games (not including games on NBC or Versus, as those are also included)?

Old
08-25-2011, 01:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

To run away from hurricane talk for a while:

I need to buy my laptop, but as good as I am with desktops (built my own baby, she's a beast) i'm pretty in the dark on laptops.

I've whittled it down to 5 choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157821
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152270
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215119
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157877
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115990

Which one would you guys suggest?

This is all of course assuming I don't get killed by the hurricane while i'm on Long Island.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
TV question here:

Looking to switch from Comcast to Directv, as I'm sick of paying a ****ton of money for TV and internet. If I order a Directv package that includes MSG, MSGHD, and MSG+HD, do I still need to order Center Ice in order to watch Ranger games? If no, will I miss any games (not including games on NBC or Versus, as those are also included)?
If you get MSG broadcasts in Vermont, I believe you will be able to watch the NY games.

I'd consult someone from DirecTV, though.

I do recommend it - I love it.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Hi guys,

Land interaction is tricky with a hurricane. Regardless, any land interaction would definitely impede on strengthening. The problem we have is,

Irene is currently still forecasted to strengthen the next day or so. Warm SSTS's and virtually no shear is the ideal environment for a hurricane to continue strengthening. Irene is going through Eye-Wall-Replacement-Cycles, which is the only thing that will/should fluctuate her from being a Cat-3/Cat-4.

As she gains latitude, the sea surface temperatures will obviously go down. Problem is, well,

Look where the temperatures start cutting off. There's a nice narrow strip of 88 degree water that just so happens to be within the same path Irene is forecasted to take, all the way up through what looks to be Virginia Beach/Kill Devil Hills/Etc.

Part two to this is the shear. A few of the models show some upper level shear developing during day 2 from now, which normally, would weakened a hurricane and impede it from strengthening. Our problem is, well, Irene's size. She is quite, quite, big. Upper level shear, at 30kts, isn't going to be weakening Irene that much.

Determining the strength of Irene is tricky for our area. Like I said earlier, my expectations are:

A) Hugs the coast the entire ride up. Is still a Cat 3 by SC, NC.

B) Makes landfall in NC, but no inland. Drops to a Cat 2 by reaching the Chesapeake. (Same Long)

C) Skirts the coast, coming near or close to making landfall in Cape May. Stays a Catergory 2/Strong Cat 1 until it reaches landfall somewhere on SNJ/LI/SI/NJ-NY border. Where.. well, that's to be determined. Wobbles can have this thing making landfall multiple times before coming up and moving inland somewhere.

Due to the size of Irene, landfall isn't necessary for destruction. If you look at that map above, there's quite the area of places receiving over a FOOT of rain from Sat-Mon.
I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see evacuations.

Last edited by RyanBozak: 08-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I live in Tampa and we are an A zone as well.

When my parents bought a house down in Cape Coral back in 04, Hurricane Charley came about 2 weeks later and destroyed a whole bunch of ****. Our house was fine though, and I was on my way back up to NY because we had not planned to move until 05 and we were just checking out the new house and having a bit of a vacation. We heard Charley was coming and dipped the **** out
Yeah, man. I remember Charley. That was the summer where four hurricanes hit Florida. Charley was supposed to go directly right over the Tampa Bay area. Me and my family evacuated (live on the water) up to Wesley Chapel/Land O Lakes where my grandparents lived. A lot of people went to Orlando to evacuate. lol Then the storm ends up hitting Orlando as a Category 2 and we got **** in the Bay area.

If I remember correctly, it was a Category 4 when it hit. I swear if that ***** hit Tampa it would of been a 5.

Closed Thread