HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RIP Joey Vento

Old
08-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
"Learn English" is not bigotry. Anyone can learn English.
You are assuming there.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
They can have rules as long as they adhere to the law... and -- this is key -- they do not take away one's civil rights.

They can ban dogs from the esablishment... but cannot ban guide/help dogs for but one example.
It is utterly mind blowing how you ignore legal precedence established on levels all the way up to the Supreme Court in favor of what is, by opposition, only your opinion.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:34 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
If you've got a rich, elderly neighbor, it's probably safe to assume your problems are of the first world variety. I'm merely pointing out your love for American ideals, but only when convenient. Ignoring you understand why those people would want to move here, and why their first worry wouldn't be if they were in legal accordance, is ignoring large parts of those same American ideals.
This country should worry about citizens of this country. That's my stance. Yeah, it sucks for people of less fortunate areas around the world that have to deal with some awful ****, but there are plenty of people in our own country going through hell that are being neglected. The U.S. can't afford to be the good samaritan of the world anymore.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Let's please keep this on the topic of Vento, there is a political forum for discussion of US foreign and domestic policy. Otherwise this could rapidly become a quagmire.

08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
It is wrong to assume the Spanish customers were illegals... My point is he feels as he feels... and he ties the two together.

Away from that, as a businessman he should do his business fairly and not determine who should and should not be served.

The area he is located in has a large amount of Spanish speaking people... as an area business he has a responsibility to serve the community he is located in and in return he will be rewarded with their patronage.
He has absolutely no responsibility to serve the community. He sells steaks. The "migrant workers" who speak Spanish weren't there when Geno's opened up, so why is it his responsibility to cater to them? You learn the common language of the country you're moving to, not force everyone else to learn yours. It's not racism, it's not bigotry, it's common sense.

What he should've done was anytime someone comes up speaking something the order takers can't understand, just give them a plain roll and a spoon.

To take it further, why does automated phone lines only have English and Spanish as options? That alienates and offends everyone who doesn't speak those?

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So should a business owner be forced to learn every single language on earth so that no situation will arise where they can't provide service?
They should learn to be able to work with the people in the community the do business in... and when they are in an area with such a large population of Spanish speaking people they should establish a way to serve their customers.

Pat's and other businesses in the area are not having problems... I'm certain Claudio's is not turning away customers.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
This country should worry about citizens of this country. That's my stance. Yeah, it sucks for people of less fortunate areas around the world that have to deal with some awful ****, but there are plenty of people in our own country going through hell that are being neglected. The U.S. can't afford to be the good samaritan of the world anymore.
The same people who pay attention to the immigration problem as they have are the same ones not paying attention to the other problems you're talking about. Your issue shouldn't be with the foreigners.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
1. I'm assuming he was complaining about illegals, since if they were citizens they wouldn't be robbing anyone of tax dollars. Not to mention he would've been bombarded with lawsuits if he was simply being racist.
2. Wrong. As a businessman he can do whatever he has the right to do. Ever heard of a "No shirt, No shoes, no service" policy?
That does not deny civil rights.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Let's please keep this on the topic of Vento, there is a political forum for discussion of US foreign and domestic policy. Otherwise this could rapidly become a quagmire.
Vento's actions have inherent political ties. Staying on topic is just going to get it moved, anyway.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Actually, the guy behind the counter wasn't polite about it at all.

Edit: Ok, so I used to work at Blockbuster. Some Quebecois came in once, and either didn't speak English or insisted on speaking French. I couldn't help them with whatever their problem was because I couldn't communicate with them. Did I violate their civil rights?
Was this Blockbuster in Montreal?

Old
08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
They should learn to be able to work with the people in the community the do business in... and when they are in an area with such a large population of Spanish speaking people they should establish a way to serve their customers.

Pat's and other businesses in the area are not having problems... I'm certain Claudio's is not turning away customers.
The fact is, they can do whatever the hell they want as long as it's legal. Why are you so concerned about a simple rule of his establishment? He's the one who was losing some business because of it.

Why shouldn't the Spanish-speaking people learn the language of the business that has been so generous as to serve the community?

Old
08-25-2011, 02:44 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Neither does not serving someone because you can't understand what they're saying.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

I get to use my Blockbuster experience again...At once store I worked at, we were right next to a large Spanish-speaking community. Probably a third of our customers spoke zero English, and none of us at the store was good enough at Spanish to help them with anything besides basic stuff.

Does that make me a bigot? Did we deprive them of their civil rights? Did I fail to "serve the community?"

I get the feeling that you've never been in a position where you have to try to serve people who can't speak a lick of you language.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Was this Blockbuster in Montreal?
It was in Richmond, Virginia.

It should be pointed out that Philadelphia isn't exactly Montreal, either. It isn't a pocket of people who speak a different language from the rest of the country.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Dude, it's not about civil rights. It's about the rights of a private business owner not being totally submarined by civil rights. If every business had to operate in accordance to civil rights from the scope you've perceived, everything would essentially be government run. That's kind of not America's thing.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
He didn't take away anybody's civil rights. End of story.
Make that as a sign with an Eagle on it and you are in business.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
But to the people who cannot afford such luxuries as shirts and shoes, it does.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:48 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Make that as a sign with an Eagle on it and you are in business.
Did you mean to post this?

Old
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
"Learn English" is not bigotry. Anyone can learn
On it's own, no it's not, but I think most of the times that phrase is said there's quite a lot more there.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
You are missing the point completely.

Asking someone to speak in a language you understand is NOT taking away any civil rights.
The asking is not... refusing to work with them and do business with them is.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:50 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Dude, whod theu smodd dofofm fjfkffso sosdo?

Answer my question or you are a bigot!

Old
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
I said this before and I'll say it again, Geno's has never refused a customer service because of they didn't speak english.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Vento was essentially an "agent of intolerance." He didn't do anything wrong from a "legal" perspective and he was within his rights to request that his patrons order in English however his underlying intolerance was a form of bigotry. The Jewish perspective under the Nazis while an extreme example offers some historical perspective in the dangers of intolerance. Oftentimes, it metastasizes into more which includes violence. Once you dehumanize people it makes it easier to kill them.

Also consider the nativist movement in the US and some of its current manefestations that will remain nameless. Furthermore, the innuendo that all those unable to order a cheesteak in English are illegals and most likely mexicans at that is also a slippery slope...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
He has absolutely no responsibility to serve the community. He sells steaks. The "migrant workers" who speak Spanish weren't there when Geno's opened up, so why is it his responsibility to cater to them? You learn the common language of the country you're moving to, not force everyone else to learn yours. It's not racism, it's not bigotry, it's common sense.

What he should've done was anytime someone comes up speaking something the order takers can't understand, just give them a plain roll and a spoon.

To take it further, why does automated phone lines only have English and Spanish as options? That alienates and offends everyone who doesn't speak those?
Yes, that is exactly what he should have done... ****ing embarrass them.

With that I'm done.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Dude, whod theu smodd dofofm fjfkffso sosdo?

Answer my question or you are a bigot!

Yes, I did steal the cabbage and turned it into a time machine. Google translate rules!!