HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Technical Questions

Old
08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Don't do it Andy!

You never know when you'll run into an internet predator. He might ask you to turn your webcam on to check out the pixel quality and before you know your shirts gonna be off.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
My Dell Inspiron 1525 has been purring like a kitten for 3 years now, not a single problem with it besides closing it/not going to sleep/restarting, but that is easy enough to avoid. I think it cost around $800 or so, but I got a couple additions to it which made it a little more expensive. I just bought it straight off of Dell's website, they let you build your own computer.

I know some people have had problems with Dell before, but I think the same applies for just about any lap top company. You might get a dud, or if you treat it like ****, it will go to crap on you. But for the most part, I think they all are more or less the same.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
The most important part is maintenance. Do a defrag once in a while, use CCleaner as often as you can and don't load it up with useless software. A big thing to check is the processes you run when the computer turns on. With CCleaner you can check that and turn off the things you don't need like, like adobe automatic updater, onenote, and all those other programs you don't ever need until you actually open them.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Andy

I got fkd because the computer I got didn't come with enough ram memory to run the system properly...it constantly uses 86% of the computer's memory and runs soo damn slow its unbearable...I just don't want to get screwed over again where the comp cant run the actual system properly from the get-go

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not true. I checked future shop and bestbuy and like you, nearest 25 stores were sold out. I tried out online buying on future shop and bestbuy and to no avail. So...I looked at 32GB version, same issue...except, at bestbuy it was available online on backorder. Snagged me one. Luckily, I made it just in time because now it's showing:

Order Online:
Not available online

LMAO, as a follow up to this message, I got this e-mail from bestbuy:

Quote:
Dear Antonio,

We wanted to connect with you immediately with respect to your recent visit to BestBuy.ca where you ordered the HP 32GB TouchPad with Wi-Fi. Being upfront and direct with our customers is important to us. Recently, an error within our online system was made, and as a result of the overwhelming volume of orders placed, we were unable to fulfill your request due to a lack of inventory and have cancelled your order. We wish to assure you that your credit card will not be billed for this amount whatsoever. We appreciate this is likely disappointing news and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

In addition, we wish to make clear that we will not be receiving any new inventory of this product, however should we receive any occasional customer returns, you may see available stock in certain stores. For more information about the HP TouchPad, please click here.

As explained in our Web Site User Agreement, BestBuy.ca strives to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information possible each day. However, as maintenance of our website is a human process, errors do occur upon occasion. Our online retail teams are busy reviewing this particular issue to learn from it and ensure we can make your online shopping experience even better next time. If you have any further questions we would direct you to our current FAQ information as posted on our website here.

Again, we regret the inconvenience and hope you’ll give us another opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Sincerely,

BestBuy.ca

I didn't really need it, so no loss. Makes me laugh. So close.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Is there anything specific I should be looking for though? I got ****ed over with the last comp I bought
I would go with ASUS laptops. You can get some on the cheap if you're willing to buy recertified. In any case, they're usually high quality, with high quality material. Like any company they have their duds, but usually you can find some damn good laptops. Lenovo thinkpads are also a good buy, I like them a lot. Don't go for Toshiba/HP/Acer/etc laptops you can buy at futureshop, Dell sucks as well. The quality is better than it used to be, but it doesn't compare for the same as an ASUS.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
I would go with ASUS laptops. You can get some on the cheap if you're willing to buy recertified. In any case, they're usually high quality, with high quality material. Like any company they have their duds, but usually you can find some damn good laptops. Lenovo thinkpads are also a good buy, I like them a lot. Don't go for Toshiba/HP/Acer/etc laptops you can buy at futureshop, Dell sucks as well. The quality is better than it used to be, but it doesn't compare for the same as an ASUS.
Errrm... never buy refurbished.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:20 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

does anyody else's PSN not working

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Help with Bell TV

Hey guys, I was wondering if some of you could help me pick out which channels to order from http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpTv...tabCont3-tabs;

I got the A la Carte 30, and I have no idea which channel(s) to order... Obviously I'm going to get TSN/RDS/Sportsnet, but anyone know what other channels are "good"? A little description would help!

(PS Mods, I wasn't sure if there is an OT thread for this or not, so move at your discretion! Thanks!)

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Sorry but Toshiba shouldn't even be said in the same sentence as HP, Acer or Dell. As a hater of all three of those companies I know for a fact Toshiba is much better both through personal experiences and friends. Don't know where you got the idea that they should be lumped into the Acer category but they're simply a lot better than Acer, HP or Dell.

Lenovo gets fairly good praise as does ASUS. I've never owned a Lenovo but all of the others I have owned or used through work, the only ones out of HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Asus or Lenovo I would ever buy are Asus and Toshiba. Lenovo just never really used so I wouldn't risk it.

Between Asus and Toshiba hands down I'd choose Toshiba. Last laptop our office got from Asus doesn't even compare to the laptop I got 1.5 years ago from Toshiba and it's supposed to be better. I'll chalk it up to being a bad model as all companies have theirs but I'd even probably choose alienware (owned by Dell) over Asus at this point. Don't hate Asus but not in love with them either. I'd also choose Sony (decrapify it of course) over Asus as well. Now we may be talking different price ranges once you introduce Sony/Samsung but honestly no reason to choose an Asus over a Toshiba unless you're comparing a good model versus a bad. Both are perfectly acceptable brands for lappy. Toshiba fixed my friends laptop for free after he spilled a 2L of coke onto it Dell has milked my dad out of a few repairs already

Also refurbished laptops imo are just bad advice. Laptops due to the components being so close together etc are often not cooled properly. Especially in poor quality brands like Acer they'll run fine the first year or two but the components will break down quick due to poor design of the laptop and bad ventilation/cooling. I would never buy a used laptop because even with good laptops naturally those components are closer together and heat up more often. So you buy a 2 year old lappy that works perfectly, they refurbished it (whatever that means, obviously they didn't gut it and replace everything or else they'd just not even bother) and it works now... wait a few months or a year. Also I've never had an Acer laptop that went a year without hardware problems and I've owned two.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
neofury*

Quote:
LMAO, as a follow up to this message, I got this e-mail from bestbuy:

I didn't really need it, so no loss. Makes me laugh. So close.
Our road tech here at the office was telling me the same thing yesterday, how he got one in at the last second like you

I wonder if today he got this email

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
As a hater of all three of those companies I know for a fact Toshiba is much better both through personal experiences and friends.
That does indeed sound factual.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if some of you could help me pick out which channels to order from http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpTv...tabCont3-tabs;

I got the A la Carte 30, and I have no idea which channel(s) to order... Obviously I'm going to get TSN/RDS/Sportsnet, but anyone know what other channels are "good"? A little description would help!

(PS Mods, I wasn't sure if there is an OT thread for this or not, so move at your discretion! Thanks!)
Depends what you're into tbh. My parents for instance LOVE the movie channels. Some people with a family get the family channels. My best suggestion is to mix it up. ACTION in movie section usually has those 80s and 90s action movies that are usually classics and stuff like that. I glance every now and then at it, mind you, i barely watch tv anymore. Mix it up, maybe someone in your house likes the food network, or discovery. TLC is something my sister watches. It really depends what you're into. Just don't chose music channels and garbage like that.

Quote:
Sorry but Toshiba shouldn't even be said in the same sentence as HP, Acer or Dell. As a hater of all three of those companies I know for a fact Toshiba is much better both through personal experiences and friends. Don't know where you got the idea that they should be lumped into the Acer category but they're simply a lot better than Acer, HP or Dell.

Lenovo gets fairly good praise as does ASUS. I've never owned a Lenovo but all of the others I have owned or used through work, the only ones out of HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Asus or Lenovo I would ever buy are Asus and Toshiba. Lenovo just never really used so I wouldn't risk it.

Between Asus and Toshiba hands down I'd choose Toshiba. Last laptop our office got from Asus doesn't even compare to the laptop I got 1.5 years ago from Toshiba and it's supposed to be better. I'll chalk it up to being a bad model as all companies have theirs but I'd even probably choose alienware (owned by Dell) over Asus at this point. Don't hate Asus but not in love with them either. I'd also choose Sony (decrapify it of course) over Asus as well. Now we may be talking different price ranges once you introduce Sony/Samsung but honestly no reason to choose an Asus over a Toshiba unless you're comparing a good model versus a bad. Both are perfectly acceptable brands for lappy. Toshiba fixed my friends laptop for free after he spilled a 2L of coke onto it Dell has milked my dad out of a few repairs already

Also refurbished laptops imo are just bad advice. Laptops due to the components being so close together etc are often not cooled properly. Especially in poor quality brands like Acer they'll run fine the first year or two but the components will break down quick due to poor design of the laptop and bad ventilation/cooling. I would never buy a used laptop because even with good laptops naturally those components are closer together and heat up more often. So you buy a 2 year old lappy that works perfectly, they refurbished it (whatever that means, obviously they didn't gut it and replace everything or else they'd just not even bother) and it works now... wait a few months or a year. Also I've never had an Acer laptop that went a year without hardware problems and I've owned two.
TBH, i've owned several dells in my life if you count my dads and brothers and all that. Only me? A PC and currently a laptop. Honestly, my dad's still using an old school dell PC without problem. I used to milk my PC dry, on all day, downloading, high usage all the time. After 5 years the thing overheated. 5 years man...for an average computer that was extremely overused. My dad uses his like the average person and it was purchased in 2002. It still works just fine, no replacements or repairs needed. Dell is merely a service, they assemble hardware from other company and make very little. Saying a laptop is a 'dell laptop' when it's pieces range from nvidia, intel, microsoft, jbl and so on, is like me putting a ferrari sticker on a ford focus and calling it a ferrari. It's entirely irrelevant. They're in majority just distributors of the product. The product itself is rarely theirs. The only thing one can argue is support, warranty and all that. Honest to god, I don't even get the warranty. I get the 1 year manufactures warranty and with the amount i use it, if there isn't a defect that shows up within a year, it's fine. Then again, if I spill 2L cokes on my computers then yah, maybe these things would matter to me.

Quote:
Our road tech here at the office was telling me the same thing yesterday, how he got one in at the last second like you

I wonder if today he got this email
HP updated their website as well:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...touchpads_home

Only problem--->out of stock.

If I were some tech guru, which I'm not. I'd think if HP distributed these tablets for dirt cheap and sold updates and software packages for their products, they may actually make money off these things.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Depends what you're into tbh. My parents for instance LOVE the movie channels. Some people with a family get the family channels. My best suggestion is to mix it up. ACTION in movie section usually has those 80s and 90s action movies that are usually classics and stuff like that. I glance every now and then at it, mind you, i barely watch tv anymore. Mix it up, maybe someone in your house likes the food network, or discovery. TLC is something my sister watches. It really depends what you're into. Just don't chose music channels and garbage like that.
Yeah exactly, I don't really care for it except for hockey. It's for my parents mostly, so I'm thinking I'll get a variety of news/entertainment. My mom will probably want Oprah's network, and TLC. I'd love to get the movie pack, but I'll barely have time to watch. Maybe I'll convince my brother to get it for himself (he stays up late).

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Hey guys, just a simple question I need answered.

I just got Illico installed at my new place. We got the basic cable package, but right now all the SD channels are unlocked. Anyone how that's possible? I'm really enjoying all the channels, but I just want to make sure I'm not paying some sort of extra.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Hey guys, just a simple question I need answered.

I just got Illico installed at my new place. We got the basic cable package, but right now all the SD channels are unlocked. Anyone how that's possible? I'm really enjoying all the channels, but I just want to make sure I'm not paying some sort of extra.
For the first 24 hours all the channels are unlocked, then your package starts. You probably have Super Écran on demand too.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:50 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

other than rds, the only channels that are worth it for me are the basic channels (cbc, ctv, etc..), the 4 HD theme packs, and TMN

you also need standard def tsn to have it in hd.

with that said, a la carte 15 is good enough for me.. since i have no choice to take the minimum that will give me tsn and rds... no point in spending more.

And of these 15 that i have no choice in taking, outside of rds and tsn, i can't even think of 1 that i ever watch....

so to answer your question, 30 is overkill for me...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I love the fear of refurbished/recertified electronics in this thread.
You guys do know these units usually get a more thorough QC than new units.

Like kids in the playground who are afraid of the proverbial technological equivalent of "cooties".

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:19 PM
StanleyCH25

Projector for hockey games?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new projector and screen and was wondering if any of you have bought one recently that you've tried watching hockey games with. That will be the main purpose along with some TV viewing, movies and Xbox 360 gaming (NHL 12, Forza 4, and Gears of War 3).

Thoughts?

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new projector and screen and was wondering if any of you have bought one recently that you've tried watching hockey games with. That will be the main purpose along with some TV viewing, movies and Xbox 360 gaming (NHL 12, Forza 4, and Gears of War 3).

Thoughts?
Projectors are great - nothing and I mean nothing beats watching a hockey or football game on a 120" screen. For sports and gaming since they are bright - minimal light control is required - a typical basement is usually dim enough and has the required space for a screen.

The choice DLP vs LCD is best determined by what you watch - LCD for sports/gaming, DLP for movies. I have a DLP projector and it never fails to impress.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Anyone know a good place in montreal to have tshirts printed with custom graphics? Screen printing I think it's called.

I need to have a few shirts done before the comic-con next saturday.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:13 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Habs Apps for Smartphones

Last year at this time Bell announced a Habs app for smartphone (&iP/BB) had promise, exclusive content, streaming games and voting for the 3 stars etc. -- but that seems to have disappeared.

Anyone using a good app they can recommend, want up to date scores, stats, news etc. specific for the Habs. Some at the App Store claim this but they are just sports apps with Habs wallpaper or whatever. Thanks if you can, for pointing me to a good app!

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:06 PM
la25ecoupe

same here!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I just use TSN Mobile for iOS. The Habs app was awful, and a lot of the features were locked to Bell's network.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
HabsByTheBay

Hockey Inside/Out's app is a must. La Presse if you read French.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote