HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell Interview on Fan 590

Old
08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Willie Mitchell Interview on Fan 590

Scroll over to 46:20 for a radio interview with Willie Mitchell.
http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/brady...-7am-hour).mp3

He talks about playing with Doughty and Johnson and actually compares Johnson's skating to a former teammate of his in New Jersey, Scott Niedermayer. He even suggests that Johnson may be the more talented player of the two.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Thanks for the link.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
As I said in the Doughty thread:

It is interesting, though I certainly question it. I think Jack still has enormous potential. I would argue that his skating, stickhandling, and shot are superior to Doughty's, but Drew has the lion's share in the two-way play, hockey sense, and flair/creativity department. Drew is just more sound mentally, has better basics and foundation, and can think the game better, but Jack has the better raw assets at his disposal right now. People often forget that most defensemen hit their stride and truly develop around the age 26-28 mark. Johnson is still developing, and he has been a beast with his training, and is guaranteed to be a King for a long while with his recently discovered business acumen I really like his work ethic, and can't wait to see where it takes him. He has a mountain to climb to overcome Doughty's hold on the #1 spot, but it isn't inconceivable. I am hoping for a godly pairing between them in the future for years to come.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

He compares JJ to Scott Niedermayer and Trevor Lewis to Alex Burrows. I like it...

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

VERY strange timing to throw a diss Drew's way. (That is the only way this can be interpreted.) Bad bad sign IMO.

Thread title should be: Mitchell tears down Doughty - why now?

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
VERY strange timing to throw a diss Drew's way. (That is the only way this can be interpreted.) Bad bad sign IMO.

I don't think so. Jack Johnson is a very talented young defenseman still learning the game. Mitchell is welcome to his own opinion. The consensus opinion is probably going to be with Doughty, but let's not forget, Johnson was another questionable youngster added to the Olympic squad as well. He has a very high ceiling, and we were ranting and raving like he was Doughty back when we got him. Doughty had some quirks last season and last season is all Mitchell knows of Doughty first hand. Johnson had a terrific year offensively and is still learning the defensive aspects of the game. Sounds like Mitchell is having a good influence there. It is not far-fetched to see why Mitchell would have some tendencies to Johnson. There is no conspiracy.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:32 PM
kingscourt26

Doughty will always be the better player in the media's eyes not because of skill but because he's Candian.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

Did you bother listening to the interview?

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I didn't see anything controversial at all in that thread. WM gives his opinion on certain aspects of each of the players games but still has allot of great things to say about each of them. JJ is older and more experienced than DD and lets wait until they have at least played the same number of years before we go getting all excited and throwing out silly comparisons imo.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:52 PM
johnjm22

It could depend on how you define talent, but I think it's pretty obvious that Johnson is more talented than Doughty overall.

Nothing surprising or controversial about what WM said IMO.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

You are completely delusional if you think WM was trying to diss Doughty in that interview. He's just trying to tell the world that JJ is a world-class talent too, not just Doughty!

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
riznat

Quote:

Or just a compliment to Johnson (the other ONLY way to interpret it).

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Johnny Utah

Mitchell compares Lewis to a young Alex Burrows. I like it. Says the Kings have 4 great centers.

He also called Doughty one of the best young D men in the league fyi.

Last edited by Telos: 08-24-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:20 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I think he is dead right on his comparison and am so very happy with Lewis' development and his overall game that I think that we really stole one when we got him. Bottom 6 C with excellent speed and savy.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:23 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I think he is dead right on his comparison and am so very happy with Lewis' development and his overall game that I think that we really stole one when we got him. Bottom 6 C with excellent speed and savy.
I like Lewis but was he really a steal at 17th overall?

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
SDGolfer

Quote:

why is everything a conspiracy?

SDGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGolfer View Post
Seriously. I don't think he even listened to the interview. I feel like people WANT Doughty to be the bad guy, so they are trying to find something negative every time someone brings his name up. Just because he isn't sign yet, doesn't make him a terrible player, or that his teammates think he's a terrible player/person. Doughty is well in his rights to not be signed as of August 24th. Bobby Ryan wasn't signed at this point last year and that turned out just fine.

Great to hear his praise for JJ, DD and Lewis! I've always been a big Lewis fan.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:08 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Doughty must owe him some money.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Seriously. I don't think he even listened to the interview. I feel like people WANT Doughty to be the bad guy, so they are trying to find something negative every time someone brings his name up. Just because he isn't sign yet, doesn't make him a terrible player, or that his teammates think he's a terrible player/person. Doughty is well in his rights to not be signed as of August 24th. Bobby Ryan wasn't signed at this point last year and that turned out just fine.

Great to hear his praise for JJ, DD and Lewis! I've always been a big Lewis fan.
it happened to JJ when he was waiting for a contract and now it will happen to DD. I am just happy that after DD signs we wont have many more contracts for everyone to fret about

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:30 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
I like Lewis but was he really a steal at 17th overall?
I don't know. Maybe I am biased but I spent a ton of time watching him develop from bantaam on through to his draft and I thought he belonged at the 11spot along with a few of the more informed pundits during his draft.

Then I watched his slow development and while it was steady I wasn't seeing everything come along at once, more of a development by design was happening then a steady all together improvement.

I am not a fan of this type of develoment typically so I backed off but after seeing the results in his game at the NHL level I started seeing the guy who I believed should have been the first spot outside of the top ten of his draft.

Yes, I believe he was a steal at his draft spot simply because I see him fleshing out to becoming better then several of the players taken before him. Time will tell and I like the kid as a person too and sometimes that clouds my judgement a little bit so maybe that in the end will be the evener.

As it sits I stand by the statement.

Old
08-25-2011, 01:48 AM
BD33

great interview, I agree with him about JJ. I think people knew Drew was going to be a star and had all this talent. We all know where Drew is going and where his talent can take him as long as he puts his mind to it. With JJ I think we don't know where the talent ceiling is, he's more diamond in the rough if you will. I think there's definite talent with both, and wouldn't be surprised if JJ ends up being just as talented or even more than DD.

BD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
it happened to JJ when he was waiting for a contract and now it will happen to DD. I am just happy that after DD signs we wont have many more contracts for everyone to fret about
I think what's different between the JJ and DD situations as far as everyone turning on them was most people are quick to criticize JJ already, even before the contract stuff was rumored.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGolfer View Post
I'm not a conspiracy guy myself but I swear my gas is being siphoned and my sister was experimented on by creatures in strange flying vehicles.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I'm not a conspiracy guy myself but I swear my gas is being siphoned.
****, he's on to me.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote