HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Steve Webb

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 05:06 PM
SouthFlyer82

vCash: 500
Flyers sign Steve Webb

Saw on another board that the Flyers have sign Steve Webb, the source was the ISlanders and Leafs broadcast. Looks like a two-way deal.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Green Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFlyer82
Saw on another board that the Flyers have sign Steve Webb, the source was the ISlanders and Leafs broadcast. Looks like a two-way deal.
For a second I wondered if this was a knee-jerk reaction to the chippy game in Phoenix, along with Hitchcock's comments about when Phoenix comes to play in Philly. Still though, Webb isn't a good fighter. Chippy punk, though.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:47 PM
paxtang

No, he isn't a good fighter. He is a fantastic agitator and checker, however. And when playing against a Tyson Nash type character, a perfect counter. In fact, i would love to see the two in a game against each other.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:23 PM
SouthFlyer82

A line of Fedoruk-Lapointe-Webb good be a pain to have to face.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Rex8

vCash:
Webb is a great fit - Very Lapointish (not sure if that is a word now) as far as taking the body and stirring it up.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Lapointe and Webb is yet another tandem we've seen before on the Island. They drove opponents nuts with the Islanders, espically against Toronto in that playoff series. If we put Sami Kapanen on that line they could return to that form. One speedy checker. One speedy scorer. One small agitator. Webb isn't a good fighter, but he is a Matthew Barnaby-type player who pisses a lot of people off and mixes it up very well.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:25 AM
Rex8

vCash:
This was not on tsn.ca this AM or in the morning paper.
Is this a reality?

Old
10-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Heck yea! Steve fricken Webb! I love this kid. This guy was like a one man wrecking crew against the Laffs two years ago in the postseason. Hopefully this will inject a little new life into the Leafs/Flyers rivalry. And I'll be at 3 out of 4 matchups this year to watch the fireworks.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:40 AM
303Joe

Before you guys get all hyped up about Webb...

let me say a few things. 1st I don't think he signed a a contract I believe they said he was offered a contract. If he does sign it will not be a trade just a UFA signing. Now if he signs let me say a few things after watching him for several years. I'm not going to take anything away from the man when he is one the ice he puts in a 100% and throws his body around like no one else does for his size. Also tries to fight if he has to althought not to good at it he does puts in the effort. Problem is he may be the one of the most talentless player in the league and 2nd problems is the last few season he has missed alot of time w/ back spasms that keep him out at 5-10 games a clip. Hes a little small to be doing all this hitting and maybe all the hits are catching up w/ his body. As I said I take nothing away from the guy as he did all he could for the Isles in his time here. It was just time for him to move along w/ the emergence of Godard as a legit heavyweight and a few younger players that can put a few goals in as well as throw the body if needed.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Seguin19

Steve Webb:

He has a bad back and wanted a 2 year contract last year. Isles only offered him a 1 year deal. He took the 1 year. Because of his back, Isles let him him go and they also knew Godard would be ready to fit the role. I wish Webb the best as he knows how to throw a check. I hope he signs somewhere....but as an Islander fan.....not in Philly.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Quellet The Dogs Out

A friend was telling me that they signed Webb...but its not on NHL.com, TSN.Ca, ESPN.com, or philadelphiaflyers.com so unless I see something in writing i'm not going to believe it...

Old
10-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellet The Dogs Out
A friend was telling me that they signed Webb...but its not on NHL.com, TSN.Ca, ESPN.com, or philadelphiaflyers.com so unless I see something in writing i'm not going to believe it...
Excellent points.
If he does sign, he'll be a fan fav instantly. He gives his all, but is constantly hurt.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:15 PM
SouthFlyer82

The reason the signning is not being reported is ebcause he has to clear waviers first.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:52 PM
FearTheFlyers

Webb is a great agitator at home.You might as well leave him in the locker room on the road.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:12 PM
RoDu

if he did sign, the guys on the radio are sure to mention it

Old
10-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
if he did sign, the guys on the radio are sure to mention it
Them or the guys on TV, or both. Anyhow, he's a good agitator and agitators are always a good luxury to have on the 4th line. If it's true of course.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:16 PM
nordique

vCash:
Webb and Brashear on the same team?

Good god...possibly the most annoying duo in the NHL (in a good way, and in a bad way)

Old
10-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
I am really dissapointed we don't have Webb now.

We all saw how effective a pest can be. Tyson Nash had a huge impact on the game against Phoenix.

Webb is a big time hitter, a cheap shot artist at times, and a guy who likes to stir things up. He also sticks up for his teammates. I remember how he destroyed Tucker with a clean hit after Tucker took out Peca's knee. Not to mention he had great success with LaPointe on the island.

Webb probably would have only played in 40 games for us, and been our 13th or even 14th forward. It would have been nice to have his pest abillity, and energy inserted into the lineup when we get into lulls.

As for the Pens, while there is no rule against what they did, it was low and weak. They tried to get Webb and he didn't want to sign with them. The Flyers want him and get him, and they snatch him off waivers from us.

Oh well, it would have been nice, we need a pest badly

Closed Thread