HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

News Article: Road to Titletown?

Old
08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Being backstopped by an AHL player didn't prevent the Flyers from making it to the Finals or from playing confidently.

edit: And again...Vokoun. His skill let FLA play aggressively if they wanted to, but the players on the team just weren't very good. W/L really doesn't tell the whole story. It doesn't come close.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-24-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
tuckrr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Being backstopped by an AHL player didn't prevent the Flyers from making it to the Finals or from playing confidently.

edit: And again...Vokoun. His skill let FLA play aggressively if they wanted to, but the players on the team just weren't very good. W/L really doesn't tell the whole story. It doesn't come close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post

If you had two identical teams (other than the goalie) W/L would be the all encompassing stat
there ya go...hope that clears it up.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
there ya go...hope that clears it up.
So, if two teams are identical except that one has a weakness in goal, the team with a bad goalie will lose.

I have no idea what you're trying to prove here. That having a bad goalie makes you lose games?

Old
08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
So, if two teams are identical except that one has a weakness in goal, the team with a bad goalie will lose.

I have no idea what you're trying to prove here. That having a bad goalie makes you lose games?
once you isolate the variable in question (goalie) you can see the the W/L is the only "all encompassing stat"

let me explain further:

if it was BOB V Bryz, lets say in a game, Bryz wins 2-1

in said game, team BOB musters only 15 shots, where team bryz shoots 33.
BOB sv% = .939
Bryz sv% = .933

in the games, BOBs rebounds are shoddy, forcing his team to play defensive and not take chances. They spend time in their zone recovering rebounds and icing the puck. Team Bryz can afford to play a more open style and be agressive. This leads them to pepper the other team with shots. The game goes on, Team Bryz wins

(this is an extreme example, but it displays my point...which is
W/L encompasses all of the variables of a goalies "skill"

SV% in this scenario does not display the goaltender's respective "skill". It is dependent on the opposing team actually taking a lot of shots...

Statistics are a tool we use to compare qualities. We also are tools, and can compare qualities with (under-rated) accuracy.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
once you isolate the variable in question (goalie) you can see the the W/L is the only "all encompassing stat"

let me explain further:

if it was BOB V Bryz, lets say in a game, Bryz wins 2-1

in said game, team BOB musters only 15 shots, where team bryz shoots 33.
BOB sv% = .939
Bryz sv% = .933

in the games, BOBs rebounds are shoddy, forcing his team to play defensive and not take chances. They spend time in their zone recovering rebounds and icing the puck. Team Bryz can afford to play a more open style and be agressive. This leads them to pepper the other team with shots. The game goes on, Team Bryz wins

(this is an extreme example, but it displays my point...which is
W/L encompasses all of the variables of a goalies "skill"

SV% in this scenario does not display the goaltender's respective "skill". It is dependent on the opposing team actually taking a lot of shots...

Statistics are a tool we use to compare qualities. We also are tools, and can compare qualities with (under-rated) accuracy.
Ah.

So if one team plays like crap and gets dominated while being outshot 2:1, they lose regardless of who is in goal. Much like Vokoun in Florida...an example where W/L is not even close to being an indicator of the goalie's skill level.

Based on your comments about stats, I don't think you understand how they are used or how Jester uses them.

Edit: let's run with your example. Let's say Bryz's team completely blows in a game. They get 15 shots. However, Bryz is fantastic, stopping 49/50 shots. Team Bryz loses 1-0 despite Bryz putting on a stellar performance. In that case the goalie gets the L because his team sucked, and it is no indication of his skill or how he played. W/L does not absolutely indicate a goaltender's skill level or how he performed

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 08-24-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Ah.

So if one team plays like crap and gets dominated while being outshot 2:1, they lose regardless of who is in goal. Much like Vokoun in Florida...an example where W/L is not even close to being an indicator of the goalie's skill level.

Based on your comments about stats, I don't think you understand how they are used or how Jester uses them.

Edit: let's run with your example. Let's say Bryz's team completely blows in a game. They get 15 shots. However, Bryz is fantastic, stopping 49/50 shots. Team Bryz loses 1-0 despite Bryz putting on a stellar performance. In that case the goalie gets the L because his team sucked, and it is no indication of his skill or how he played. W/L does not absolutely indicate a goaltender's skill level or how he performed

they are playing the same team, so none of this is relevant.

Old
08-25-2011, 03:22 PM
facts

Quote:
Exactly. There is no statistic which encompasses trust; a purely emotional intangible.
This years slogan, best line of the off season! let the avatars fly!

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
they are playing the same team, so none of this is relevant.
If they're playing the same team, then why aren't the teams performing identically?

If they're playing the same team, they'd both face the same amount of shots, of equivalent quality. Like I said, I'm just running with your example. I'm using the rules you set.

The fact that you have to set up a very specific set of circumstances to try and prove your point is telling.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:33 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
If they're playing the same team, then why aren't the teams performing identically?

If they're playing the same team, they'd both face the same amount of shots, of equivalent quality. Like I said, I'm just running with your example. I'm using the rules you set.

The fact that you have to set up a very specific set of circumstances to try and prove your point is telling.

that IS my point.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
that IS my point.
And it makes no sense in the slightest. Win Loss remains a terrible indicator of a goalie's skill.

Old
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
And it makes no sense in the slightest. Win Loss remains a terrible indicator of a goalie's skill.
if the only difference on two teams is the goalie, and you played 100,000 games.

the only statistic that will tell you who the better goalie is, is W/L.

SV% doesnt tell it,
GAA doesnt tell it,

this is because the ultimate goal of hockey is to win.

that is what i've been saying.

Old
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
flountown

This is a silly argument, W/L record is a terrible way to measure the performance of any 1 player. If a goalie can't influence goals for, he has no control over half of the outcome that determines a win or loss and it'd be silly to hold him accountable to a stat that relies so heavily on it.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
if the only difference on two teams is the goalie, and you played 100,000 games.

SV% doesnt tell it,
GAA doesnt tell it,

Are you aware that SVPCT and GAA would still tell you far, far more about the goalies than W/L? There's a reason that W/L isn't discussed seriously when evaluating goaltenders.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:35 PM
BringBackStevens

Flyers fans really need to stop going on about how the coyotes were a bad team. It's just 100% false. Not only were they a good team, they played very good defense

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

SV% doesnt tell it,
GAA doesnt tell it,

Dude, if the teams are identical they would have the same number of shots with differing goal totals... Which would directly correlate with GAA and SV%

This argument is horrible

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Jester

Quote:

SV% doesnt tell it,
GAA doesnt tell it,

You realize there are a host of other stats you could look at, right?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Flyers fans really need to stop going on about how the coyotes were a bad team. It's just 100% false. Not only were they a good team, they played very good defense
Yeah, they lacked a bit of punch, but they are a very well coached group down there.

Old
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Are you aware that SVPCT and GAA would still tell you far, far more about the goalies than W/L? There's a reason that W/L isn't discussed seriously when evaluating goaltenders.
Im talking about the only situation on which there COULD be an all encompassing stat (which in real life there isn't)

W/L in the real world doesn't isolate the goalie.

Old
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Dude, if the teams are identical they would have the same number of shots with differing goal totals... Which would directly correlate with GAA and SV%

This argument is horrible
But the teams aren't identical, they have different goalies.

Old
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Jester

Quote:
But the teams aren't identical, they have different goalies.
Your argument is that the goaltender is influencing the rest of the team... which, in your case study, would be the same exact group of individuals.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:08 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Your argument is that the goaltender is influencing the rest of the team... which, in your case study, would be the same exact group of individuals.
true, but its not the same team.

he said they'd have the same shots/play style...thats not the same thing as 'being the same exact group of individuals.'

Old
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

The goalie isn't out there taking shots, so I don't see why the shot totals would be so different...considering they're supposed to be facing the same individuals.

Your scenario is incredibly flawed; it doesn't prove anything, and relies heavily on "it works because I say it does."

Old
08-26-2011, 01:30 PM
MrHockey1982

Have you guys noticed how often Vokoun has been injured?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=296

Compared to Bryzgalov:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2252

Bryz has had some bumps and bruises here and there but it appears that Vokoun gets injured more often. Combine that with Vokoun's age and maybe that's a reason we went for Bryz.

Of course you could say that since Vokoun is older that he has played more games and therefore has more of a chance of getting injured. But regardless of that fact, Bryz is definitely the fresher goalie.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:00 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
The goalie isn't out there taking shots, so I don't see why the shot totals would be so different...considering they're supposed to be facing the same individuals.

Your scenario is incredibly flawed; it doesn't prove anything, and relies heavily on "it works because I say it does."
its just the only scenario in which a stat encompasses everything to compare to goaltenders.

my point was no real statistic encompasses everything about a goalie, it only indicates things.

(this extreme is the only situation in which you could actually say this goalie is "better" with 100% confidence...albeit games played would have to equal infinity)

Old
08-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
its just the only scenario in which a stat encompasses everything to compare to goaltenders.

my point was no real statistic encompasses everything about a goalie, it only indicates things.

(this extreme is the only situation in which you could actually say this goalie is "better" with 100% confidence...albeit games played would have to equal infinity)
No one stat encompasses everything about much of anything. SVPCT tells you what percentage of the pucks that were directed at a goalie went past him (a good quantifier of the skill of a goalie with a large enough sample)... doesn't tell you how many went in. Similarly, a low GAA doesn't mean a goalie played particularly great, just that he didn't allow a lot of goals.

There are a ton of advanced stats out there with the explicit purpose of getting at a variety of things you might want to analyze.

Your argument is that the intangible of "trust" (in the goalie) manifests in better team play. As I noted, if that actually is true, then you're going to see signs of actual improved team play. This isn't a sport based on aesthetics, it's based on hard quantifiable numbers: who scores more goals? If trust doesn't end up impacting the answer to that question, then trust, as an intangible, is meaningless.

Hypothetically, if you want to investigate whether a team is playing with more "trust" in their goalie... maybe you see an increase in SOGA and SOGF. Why? Because if they have more "trust" perhaps they are a bit looser in both directions, which leads to more offensive creation and allowing a few more chances against -- which they trust their goalie to stop.