HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-25-2011, 02:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont know if players start receiving their salary for the year beginning July 1 or not until the season starts but I imagine its July 1 so the clock was likely ticking. And even if it wasnt, waiting to see what happens with lombardis health would have been futile, because since we already acquired fisher we dont even have a roster spot for him in the unlikley event that he was ready to go come october... so he had to go. And waiting until the trade deadline would have meant paying him 3/4ths of this years salary.

dont get me wrong, i hate it that we had to make the move, but it was better than eating lombardis salary.

franson wont be missed that badly, I suspect
Players are paid based on a 186ish day calendar ... beginning with the start of the regular season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:17 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Not particularly, if we wait until camp and find out Lombardi isn't healthy, who is going to trade for him? And if he comes into camp ready to go, there's no reason to trade him anyway.
Toronto wasn't trading for Lombardi, they were trading for Franson. If Lombardi plays, then it's just a cherry on top for them. So to answer your question as to who is going to trade for him if he shows up with post concussion syndrome: Toronto would. They don't care about Lombardi, because they've got money to burn, but sure could use Franson's talents. But since it sounds like Lombardi is planning to being ready, we'll then what the hell, they might as well utilize him, and hoodwink Mr. Poile to the max!

Quote:
I dont know if players start receiving their salary for the year beginning July 1 or not until the season starts but I imagine its July 1 so the clock was likely ticking.
I'm pretty sure players get paid on a per work basis, much like the NFL, which doesn't start until the season does.

Quote:
And even if it wasnt, waiting to see what happens with lombardis health would have been futile, because since we already acquired fisher we dont even have a roster spot for him in the unlikley event that he was ready to go come october... so he had to go. And waiting until the trade deadline would have meant paying him 3/4ths of this years salary.
I've never advocated holding him until the deadline, healthy or not! I'm saying wait until closer to the season to see if he's healthy! You're telling me O'Reilly is better than Lombardi? Pretty sure a healthy Lombardi is a better option, and if he's not a better option, then we could trade him outright instead of having to sweeten the pot with a player like Franson.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
In your opinion they are counterproductive. Everything here is speculation and opinion. Furthermore you have no idea what goes behind the scenes around the league. I seriously doubt you are getting inside information from GM's around the league about the trade landscape.

Players don't just fall into GM's laps. You have to be aggressive. Poile isn't. It's a fact and a fact a large portion of the base disagrees with.
You state that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, then make an assumption of what goes on behind said doors.

Old
08-25-2011, 02:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

So another attempt of getting those most vocal about Poile's supposed follies this season to actually name some players that they would like to have goes ignored. Doug, I did see where you said that there were seven or eight guys you would have liked to see come here, but how many of those guys were RFAs? I know we aren't competing with every team for every player, but to assume we are only competing with half of the league I think is a bit off base. Even teams up against the cap can make moves to clear space in order to bring in players the want. Look at Buffalo and Erhoff. Again, this isn't my attempt at letting Poile off of the hook for anything that may be his fault, but rather than blaming him for things that may very well not be his fault I would rather have a conversation about hypotheticals. This is a discussion board after all. It is easier to discuss things that we assume are or are not happening. It is much more difficult and interesting to put together a reasonable argument for why we could have had player X or why we can trade for player Y. I suppose I am in the minority in that thinking.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
You state that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, then make an assumption of what goes on behind said doors.
Um no I have conceded that my ideas are opinions I have offered possible explanations while you have thrown around your opinions as fact.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So another attempt of getting those most vocal about Poile's supposed follies this season to actually name some players that they would like to have goes ignored. Doug, I did see where you said that there were seven or eight guys you would have liked to see come here, but how many of those guys were RFAs? I know we aren't competing with every team for every player, but to assume we are only competing with half of the league I think is a bit off base. Even teams up against the cap can make moves to clear space in order to bring in players the want. Look at Buffalo and Erhoff. Again, this isn't my attempt at letting Poile off of the hook for anything that may be his fault, but rather than blaming him for things that may very well not be his fault I would rather have a conversation about hypotheticals. This is a discussion board after all. It is easier to discuss things that we assume are or are not happening. It is much more difficult and interesting to put together a reasonable argument for why we could have had player X or why we can trade for player Y. I suppose I am in the minority in that thinking.
Here is a list of players in my mind.

1. Seto
2. Little
3. Cole
4. Boyes
5. Malone
6. Jussi Jokinen
7. Kostitsyn
8. Bailey
9. Parise (pipe dream)
10. Evander Kane (pipe dream)

Old
08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
If you're looking for particular names, the post above this one does a great job.

I think Boyes would be a great fit and very productive here. If there is any possible way to pry AK out of Montreal, we should do it.

As for free agents that were signed, I would have loved to spend 4 mil on a guy like Erik Cole, Simon Gagne. I think the Panthers got a good, but risky one with Fleishmann (I wouldn't be too surprised to see him on the trade block if he can pot together a decent season). Ryder, at 2 years @ 3.5 would have been a good bet for 50 points.

I don't necessarily think we need to add an Ovechkin type. It's just that our 3 main scorers, Hornqvist, Erat, SK have a tendency to score points in bunches and then go invisible for 10 games. And when they all do that at the same time, we can find ourselves out of a series pretty quick. So a guy who can put up a consistent 50-60 points is really all we need.

I'm open to the possibility that guy like Bergfors or Wilson might be that guy. But I'm not betting on it.

This team's window is closing -I'd be shocked if Weber is a Pred in 2 years, we'll see about Suter. If there was ever a time to swing for the fences, and by that, I mean taking a chance on a free agent or making a big trade even if you have to overpay some, this is the year to do it. That's why i'm frustrated.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 03:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Um no I have conceded that my ideas are opinions I have offered possible explanations while you have thrown around your opinions as fact.
Except where you declare things to be fact that you could only know if you were in the room.

Old
08-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Except where you declare things to be fact that you could only know if you were in the room.
When have I done this?

Old
08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Actually we agree to disagree. I don't care enough to keep arguing

Old
08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Here is a list of players in my mind.

1. Seto - just acquired.. Won't be moved until the deadline, if at all
2. Little - I like it, but WPG needs a top six back. I doubt they trade their #1 center.
3. Cole - Like Setoguchi, Montreal just acquired him. Like us, Montreal needs scoring (finished with the same 2.60 GPG that we had)
4. Boyes - I could see a trade with Boyes going down, but I'm not so sure Buffalo is willing to move him. The new owner up there spent the money to make the team competitive, if not a contender, and even though Boyes has dropped off getting him will likely cost at least one roster player. They are trying to win now
5. Malone - Not sure I'm sold on Malone. He won't have nearly the talent around him here that he has in Tampa, but it's interesting nonetheless. An experienced guy with some size who could make us stronger up front.
6. Jussi Jokinen - I think this is another pipe dream like Setoguchi or Cole. Carolina obviously wants him or they wouldn't have re-signed him. It's a guy I'd like to go after myself, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
7. Kostitsyn - much like Cole, I don't see Montreal letting him go unless he really is causing a lot of trouble or just demanding a trade. I'd like to acquire him, but not if we have to give up someone on our roster in order to do so. If we can get him for picks and maybe a mid-level prospect I'd be very happy.
8. Bailey - Bailey could rebound with a change of scenery. Another guy I wouldn't like to see us give too much up to get, and I think NYI would be looking for a bit of an overpayment. I think NYI might be interested in trading him if we can send back a good bottom six grinder and maybe a pick to even it out.
9. Parise (pipe dream) - agreed.
10. Evander Kane (pipe dream) - agreed. These two just aren't realistic.
Out of all of these names I think the most likely ones that we can get are Bailey, Boyes, and maybe Malone. Bailey is probably the only one we could get before the season starts or gets too far along. AK won't be available for trade unless he either demands a trade or the Canadiens just flat out suck somehow. Cole, Malone, Jokinen, and maybe Setoguchi are guys we could look at getting at the deadline. All of that obviously depends on their respective teams, and how those teams are performing. I don't see Winnipeg moving either of those guys regardless of their rank in February. I think those guys are going to try to hang on to their young, talented guys until they see how difficult free agency is going to be for them. Between money and it being a new franchise in a less than desirable location they could have a tough time signing new guys.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
If you're looking for particular names, the post above this one does a great job.

I think Boyes would be a great fit and very productive here. If there is any possible way to pry AK out of Montreal, we should do it.

As for free agents that were signed, I would have loved to spend 4 mil on a guy like Erik Cole, Simon Gagne. I think the Panthers got a good, but risky one with Fleishmann (I wouldn't be too surprised to see him on the trade block if he can pot together a decent season). Ryder, at 2 years @ 3.5 would have been a good bet for 50 points.

I don't necessarily think we need to add an Ovechkin type. It's just that our 3 main scorers, Hornqvist, Erat, SK have a tendency to score points in bunches and then go invisible for 10 games. And when they all do that at the same time, we can find ourselves out of a series pretty quick. So a guy who can put up a consistent 50-60 points is really all we need.

I'm open to the possibility that guy like Bergfors or Wilson might be that guy. But I'm not betting on it.

This team's window is closing -I'd be shocked if Weber is a Pred in 2 years, we'll see about Suter. If there was ever a time to swing for the fences, and by that, I mean taking a chance on a free agent or making a big trade even if you have to overpay some, this is the year to do it. That's why i'm frustrated.
As I mentioned in my response to Joe, I think prying either Boyes or AK out of their cities is going to be a tough go. Boyes will likely be easier than AK unless some guys in Montreal start surprising by putting up a lot of points. AK plays on an offensively anemic team, and Boyes is playing for a team is looking to make a push. Both teams will want improvements before shipping those guys out. There is, of course, the possibility that Buffalo moves Boyes to clear cap space for a splash at the deadline, which is what I would consider to be the best option for getting him.

The trouble with trading with Florida is they are going to hover around the cap floor all year from the looks of it. If we are going to trade for Fleischmann we will have to send some salary back, and not just a little. Subtracting his $4.5m from their cap puts them nearly $3m under the cap floor. We'd have to send something like Wilson and Tootoo, or we could attempt to pawn Bouillon off with Wilson. Either way, unless we want to send back one of Erat, Legwand, Fisher, Hornqvist, or SK+ we will have to lose two roster players. Flash will have to be having a hell of a season for that to happen.

Not that I'm trying to prove that we are fine on offense, but Legwand and Fisher both have higher PPG numbers than SK and Hornqvist. I'd add those two to your list of our top scorers. We really need another top six forward, but if we can add one who is at or close to .500 PPG I think we become much better. That allows our bottom six to be stronger, which allows our scoring by committee attack to be much more effective. It might mean Wilson progresses slower, but if that's the price we pay for more success then I'm ok with it. I honestly think we will trade Wilson soon enough anyway. I agree, we don't need an Ovechkin. I was on my high horse about not wanting more of the same when people were wanting to send 50pt players back in a deal for Weber, but I think if we can find a deal that lands us that player without giving up a core player we had better jump at it.

I do understand your frustration. I'm frustrated, too. I'm worried that we will lose Weber, and that losing Weber will be the domino that knocks both Suter and Rinne out of Nashville. That's what I'm worried about more so than anything else. I'm not sure there is a move out there that can provide insurance for keeping all three of those guys, or even two of them, and if there is there is the issue of money. I'm hoping that Bergfors or Wilson break out this year like SK did last year. Here's to holding my breath until at least Christmas

Old
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Aaaaaand HF Boards lost my post. ****ing ********...

Old
08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
As I mentioned in my response to Joe, I think prying either Boyes or AK out of their cities is going to be a tough go. Boyes will likely be easier than AK unless some guys in Montreal start surprising by putting up a lot of points. AK plays on an offensively anemic team, and Boyes is playing for a team is looking to make a push. Both teams will want improvements before shipping those guys out. There is, of course, the possibility that Buffalo moves Boyes to clear cap space for a splash at the deadline, which is what I would consider to be the best option for getting him.

The trouble with trading with Florida is they are going to hover around the cap floor all year from the looks of it. If we are going to trade for Fleischmann we will have to send some salary back, and not just a little. Subtracting his $4.5m from their cap puts them nearly $3m under the cap floor. We'd have to send something like Wilson and Tootoo, or we could attempt to pawn Bouillon off with Wilson. Either way, unless we want to send back one of Erat, Legwand, Fisher, Hornqvist, or SK+ we will have to lose two roster players. Flash will have to be having a hell of a season for that to happen.

Not that I'm trying to prove that we are fine on offense, but Legwand and Fisher both have higher PPG numbers than SK and Hornqvist. I'd add those two to your list of our top scorers. We really need another top six forward, but if we can add one who is at or close to .500 PPG I think we become much better. That allows our bottom six to be stronger, which allows our scoring by committee attack to be much more effective. It might mean Wilson progresses slower, but if that's the price we pay for more success then I'm ok with it. I honestly think we will trade Wilson soon enough anyway. I agree, we don't need an Ovechkin. I was on my high horse about not wanting more of the same when people were wanting to send 50pt players back in a deal for Weber, but I think if we can find a deal that lands us that player without giving up a core player we had better jump at it.

I do understand your frustration. I'm frustrated, too. I'm worried that we will lose Weber, and that losing Weber will be the domino that knocks both Suter and Rinne out of Nashville. That's what I'm worried about more so than anything else. I'm not sure there is a move out there that can provide insurance for keeping all three of those guys, or even two of them, and if there is there is the issue of money. I'm hoping that Bergfors or Wilson break out this year like SK did last year. Here's to holding my breath until at least Christmas
Not to be nit-picky, but Leggy and Fisher have been around much longer than SK and Hornqvist (which would contribute to the better PPG).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Firestorm

Quote:

Not that I'm trying to prove that we are fine on offense, but Legwand and Fisher both have higher PPG numbers than SK and Hornqvist. I'd add those two to your list of our top scorers. We really need another top six forward, but if we can add one who is at or close to .500 PPG I think we become much better. That allows our bottom six to be stronger, which allows our scoring by committee attack to be much more effective. I was on my high horse about not wanting more of the same when people were wanting to send 50pt players back in a deal for Weber, but I think if we can find a deal that lands us that player without giving up a core player we had better jump at it. It might mean Wilson progresses slower, but if that's the price we pay for more success then I'm ok with it. I honestly think we will trade Wilson soon enough anyway. I agree, we don't need an Ovechkin.

I do understand your frustration. Personally, I'm frustrated too. I'm worried that we will lose Weber, and that losing Weber will be the domino that knocks both Suter and Rinne out of Nashville. That's what I'm worried about more so than anything else. I'm not sure there is a move out there that can provide insurance for keeping all three of those guys, or even two of them, and if there is there is the issue of money. I'm hoping that Bergfors or Wilson break out this year like SK did last year. Here's to holding my breath until at least Christmas
Wait a minute, there's a message in there!

Last edited by Firestorm: 08-25-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Can you prove that most NHL teams have 5 insured contracts? I've never heard that. The reason he was uninsured was because he had a history of concussions and the underwriters wouldn't touch him. He was coming off a career year, yet no other GMs would bite on him because they couldn't get insurance on him. Poile took the bait, epic fail, so we got Fisher. Fine, whatever.

And how do you know the latest reports were too optimistic? Lombardi himself says his goal is to be ready for training camp. If he misses his goal by 6 weeks, he's still ready by December.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Sure.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...ven-Years.aspx

Can you prove that no other GMs would bite on Lombardi? How do you know that he didn't have multiple offers from other teams?

I think you are misinterpreting what Lombardi is saying here. Of course his goal is to be ready as soon as possible. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Every NHLer's goal is to win the Stanley Cup. Does that mean they are all going to do it? What I said before was a paraphrase from Burke himself. They are going to slowly ease him in. December is way too long for us to wait. Again I ask, do you really think Lombardi is the answer to our scoring problems?
I'm guessing you can't provide an answer to my questions?

I respect your opinion that Toronto would make the deal at any time, regardless of health, but I fully disagree with it. If Lombardi goes into training camp, then suddenly says "Well, I'm a lot further off than I realized and I'm going to have to sit this whole season out," then I highly doubt Toronto would waste their time and money with him. Even worse, what if Lombardi gets injured again during camp? What if he has another set back? There are just too many "what ifs" for us and getting rid of him as soon as possible was the best move IMO.

If Toronto wants Franson that badly, they can just give us a 2nd round pick for him and be done with it. Yes, it sucks that was had to give up an asset to fix a problem, but losing Franson is not the end of the world. People are always wanting Poile to be proactive and unload his assets, well he did just that. Now not only do we have extra payroll space to improve our club, but we also opened up a roster spot for one of our prized dmen prospects to enter the league.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Not to be nit-picky, but Leggy and Fisher have been around much longer than SK and Hornqvist (which would contribute to the better PPG).
Doesn't that just mean that Legwand and Fisher are proven, while SK and Hornqvist still have to maintain the same production for longer in order to stay on track?

Old
08-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Out of all of these names I think the most likely ones that we can get are Bailey, Boyes, and maybe Malone. Bailey is probably the only one we could get before the season starts or gets too far along. AK won't be available for trade unless he either demands a trade or the Canadiens just flat out suck somehow. Cole, Malone, Jokinen, and maybe Setoguchi are guys we could look at getting at the deadline. All of that obviously depends on their respective teams, and how those teams are performing. I don't see Winnipeg moving either of those guys regardless of their rank in February. I think those guys are going to try to hang on to their young, talented guys until they see how difficult free agency is going to be for them. Between money and it being a new franchise in a less than desirable location they could have a tough time signing new guys.
I actually was using that list in context of the WHOLE summer not for today. Some of those guys were free agents I thought we had a shot at, that is why I included them.

I think an AK deal or Malone or Little are doable. It may cost Ellis or Wilson but they are doable in my book. Little is my ideal fit, closely followed by AK. AK is a shooter and Little is a passer. Both would help relieve legwand of all the responsibility to play defense and create offense. The price would be high but it would be worth it at this point. We can't risk losing the big three and I think winning is our only option here.

Final thought: I don't want to put players in positions they aren't ready for and or talented enough for. Spaling, God bless him, is not a top 6 in the NHL. Could he be good? Absolutely, but right now this team needs to be winning not content with putting guys in positions they aren't suited for.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 08-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old
08-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I honestly don't think we're that much of a better team with Malone. Hornqvist fills a similar role and doesn't take penalties. AK would be a good addition. I'm on the fence with Boyes.

But million dollar question here is, why would any of these teams give up these players? All we have to offer is picks and prospects. These teams are going to want proven NHL talent coming back because all these teams are trying to win now.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I actually was using that list in context of the WHOLE summer not for today. Some of those guys were free agents I thought we had a shot at, that is why I included them.

I think an AK deal or Malone or Little are doable. It may cost Ellis or Wilson but they are doable in my book. Little is my ideal fit, closely followed by AK. AK is a shooter and Little is a passer. Both would help relieve legwand of all the responsibility to play defense and create offense. The price would be high but it would be worth it at this point. We can't risk losing the big three and I think winning is our only option here.

Final thought: I don't want to put players in positions they aren't ready for and or talented enough for. Spaling, God bless him, is not a top 6 in the NHL. Could he be good? Absolutely, but right now this team needs to be winning not content with putting guys in positions they aren't suited for.
Fair enough. I thought you were naming guys you'd like to trade for. My bad.

Quote:
I honestly don't think we're that much of a better team with Malone. Hornqvist fills a similar role and doesn't take penalties. AK would be a good addition. I'm on the fence with Boyes.

But million dollar question here is, why would any of these teams give up these players? All we have to offer is picks and prospects. These teams are going to want proven NHL talent coming back because all these teams are trying to win now.
This is the problem I keep running into. We need to make a deal with a team that is bad, but hasn't begun to rebuild yet. Of course, a general manager might not think his team is bad and either hasn't quite begun a rebuild or is early in one (Calgary and Ottawa come to mind immediately). Edmonton and NYI are on the tail end of rebuilds. Florida will probably stay in the position they are in, and trading with them requires money going back. Dallas is up in the air. Winnipeg is probably going to keep a lot of its talent until they know how the FA market will treat them, and it will probably take some measure of success in order to get some interest draw towards them.

Old
08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
I'm guessing you can't provide an answer to my questions?

I respect your opinion that Toronto would make the deal at any time, regardless of health, but I fully disagree with it. If Lombardi goes into training camp, then suddenly says "Well, I'm a lot further off than I realized and I'm going to have to sit this whole season out," then I highly doubt Toronto would waste their time and money with him. Even worse, what if Lombardi gets injured again during camp? What if he has another set back? There are just too many "what ifs" for us and getting rid of him as soon as possible was the best move IMO.

If Toronto wants Franson that badly, they can just give us a 2nd round pick for him and be done with it. Yes, it sucks that was had to give up an asset to fix a problem, but losing Franson is not the end of the world. People are always wanting Poile to be proactive and unload his assets, well he did just that. Now not only do we have extra payroll space to improve our club, but we also opened up a roster spot for one of our prized dmen prospects to enter the league.
Lol, I guess I just got sick of arguing with you. I'm even more sick now that you are double quoting my post and yours, as if to say, I'll take your silence as defeat. Lol.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fair enough. I thought you were naming guys you'd like to trade for. My bad.

This is the problem I keep running into. We need to make a deal with a team that is bad, but hasn't begun to rebuild yet. Of course, a general manager might not think his team is bad and either hasn't quite begun a rebuild or is early in one (Calgary and Ottawa come to mind immediately). Edmonton and NYI are on the tail end of rebuilds. Florida will probably stay in the position they are in, and trading with them requires money going back. Dallas is up in the air. Winnipeg is probably going to keep a lot of its talent until they know how the FA market will treat them, and it will probably take some measure of success in order to get some interest draw towards them.
IMO our ideal trading partner would be a team that has some good players but is at the end of their "window". Teams that will probably head into this season hoping to make a run but as the season goes on it becomes apparent that they just dont have it anymore and decide to trade their assets for youth and start the rebuild.

the two most likely candidate teams for this are Calgary and New Jersey. They could get a huge return for Iginla and Kiprusoff, Parise and Brodeur, probably enough to make a rebuild relatively short and minimally painful for their fans.

David Singleton has talked frequently about us going for Iginla, and I have always thought it wouldnt work, but with the rise in the cap midpoint I think its doable now. And the fact that he is signed through '13 makes it a move poile is more likely to make than a pure rental. It would cost an arm and a leg, but if it could be made, thats a deal that I think would be amazing and would definitely convince Weber that we are serious.

Parise would be a rental and thus cost less but if it got us to the WCFs or beyond I could see us convincing him to stay.

Dallas is probably also in this category. Phoenix should be, but I dont know exactly how their GM will behave with the NHL still owning the team..

I think Poile makes a move, possibly a huge move, but it wont be until midseason.

Anything before then will be scoring depth, someone who might bump Halischuk or Geoffrion back to Milwaukee for a little more consistency

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Legionnaire11

Brodeur will never be traded, I think he'd retire before playing for another team. Has anyone else here read his book? One of the better hockey books i've read, especially of the newer ones.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
cleangene

To me, the BIGGEST frustration is coming off the team's best finish EVER, and not seeing 1 proven, talented missing piece to the puzzle. Even as thrilling as the playoffs were, the PREDS just made it out of the 1st round, so there are certainly pieces missing-something the Captain sees and has not seen being resolved. Speaking of #6, has anyone else noticed that the billboards and print ads for tickets are showing just Ryan Suter; is Shea waiting to see if there are big name entertainers who are going to pose for the ticket plan ads before he poses for a pic himself???? I know I'm being sarcastic, but this summer's theme of EVERY area of the team NOT capitalizing on that momentum from last spring seems to be fully alive. And, just reading V82's posting about Iggy......prayers are being said at this moment to behold HIM in our gold (PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE).

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Brodeur will never be traded, I think he'd retire before playing for another team. Has anyone else here read his book? One of the better hockey books i've read, especially of the newer ones.
I would have thought that but I remember reading something this summer indicating that he might be willing to go somewhere as a rental if the team he went to was a legit cup contender.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote