HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers vs. Checkmanek

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 06:57 AM
capn89*

vCash: 500
I'll give Chechmanek credit, he did make the saves... but hey, we all know one thing... he WILL flounder come playoff time. Who cares if he leads the NHL this season in ever goaltending category, if he cannot get it done come playoff time, those numbers are useless.

That goes for the Flyers too. Constantly finising in the top 4 in the conference is nice, but if they don't do anything in the playoffs it's useless. Like I said in another thread though, this is typical Flyers hockey... they go unbeaten and look incredible, then they go winless and look like junk... it happens year in and year out. No matter who the players are, the coach, system... it's a bunch of wins & then a bunch of losses, there's no consistency... But hey, it's one game, so maybe things will be different this year.

I still think the Flyers need a REAL goaltender, not Hackett, not Esche, a true contender. But knowing BC's history, I doubt we'll see that any time soon.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:10 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
That goes for the Flyers too. Constantly finising in the top 4 in the conference is nice, but if they don't do anything in the playoffs it's useless. Like I said in another thread though, this is typical Flyers hockey... they go unbeaten and look incredible, then they go winless and look like junk... it happens year in and year out. No matter who the players are, the coach, system... it's a bunch of wins & then a bunch of losses, there's no consistency... But hey, it's one game, so maybe things will be different this year.

I still think the Flyers need a REAL goaltender, not Hackett, not Esche, a true contender. But knowing BC's history, I doubt we'll see that any time soon.
They've lost one game this year and they're getting ripped for inconsistency ???

What "REAL" goaltender would you like Clarke to go get ???

Old
10-22-2003, 08:36 AM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
They've lost one game this year and they're getting ripped for inconsistency ???

What "REAL" goaltender would you like Clarke to go get ???
I'm not ripping them for inconsistency this year, I mean, if they lose to the ducks next game, then I'll start. I was stating that they seem to go through that every year... and teams who win the cup aren't "streaky." About the goaltending situation, there have been guys out there over the years that he's passed on. The closest the Flyers have had to a guy who could win a cup was Boucher... Since 96, who have they had that's a legitimate Stanley Cup goaltender? Even in 96 they didn't, but they did reach the finals... only to be swept.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:59 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I'm not ripping them for inconsistency this year, I mean, if they lose to the ducks next game, then I'll start. I was stating that they seem to go through that every year... and teams who win the cup aren't "streaky." About the goaltending situation, there have been guys out there over the years that he's passed on. The closest the Flyers have had to a guy who could win a cup was Boucher... Since 96, who have they had that's a legitimate Stanley Cup goaltender? Even in 96 they didn't, but they did reach the finals... only to be swept.

I'm not saying the goaltending hasn't been a factor, but tell me when they could have really gotten one of the true elite goalies ???

Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour (in his prime).

With goalies you generally have to get lucky in the draft, the top flight goalies don't get moved very often.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:25 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
I'll give Chechmanek credit, he did make the saves... but hey, we all know one thing... he WILL flounder come playoff time. Who cares if he leads the NHL this season in ever goaltending category, if he cannot get it done come playoff time, those numbers are useless.
agreed, he will have good numbers this year, not as good as they were with the Flyers but good and that won't change what will happen when/if the Kings make the playoffs. he will let in back-breaking softies like he also did with us.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:59 PM
capn89*

Quote:
I'm not saying the goaltending hasn't been a factor, but tell me when they could have really gotten one of the true elite goalies ???

Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour (in his prime).

With goalies you generally have to get lucky in the draft, the top flight goalies don't get moved very often.
It's all a matter of where you start building a team from. This current team is the preteen of the Eric Lindros deal way back in the early 90's. They decided to build the team from a star center, rather than a netminder, which is THE most important part of a hockey team, bar none. Look at the devils, for years they stunk beyond belief, but they built from the net forward. How many superstars have they had on their team over the last 6 or 7 years? Not counting Brodeur... Not many... Look at the Flyers, I love the team, but jesus, they should change all their surnames to Daigle, because they're all high talent slackers.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:37 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
It's all a matter of where you start building a team from. This current team is the preteen of the Eric Lindros deal way back in the early 90's. They decided to build the team from a star center, rather than a netminder, which is THE most important part of a hockey team, bar none. Look at the devils, for years they stunk beyond belief, but they built from the net forward. How many superstars have they had on their team over the last 6 or 7 years? Not counting Brodeur... Not many... Look at the Flyers, I love the team, but jesus, they should change all their surnames to Daigle, because they're all high talent slackers.

There are more than one way to build a team. It doesn't just have to be around the goalie.

Islanders - Bossy, Potvin, Trottier
Oilers - were built around Gretzky
Penguins - built around Lemieux
Rangers - Messier & Leetch
Red Wings - Yzerman, Fedorov & Lidstrom
Avalanche - Sakic, Forsberg, Roy

Also IMO during this decade long run of the New Jersey Devils, Scott Stevens has been every bit as important as Brodeur has been.

Would I love the Flyers to fins the next Bernie Parent ??? Absolutely, but it's not that easy.

Also thie years Flyers team is the exact antithisis of the Lindros teams of the mid to late 90's. Back then we were built and relied solely on 4-5 players (Lindros, LeClair, Brind'amour, Desjardins). If those players weren't great we didn't win.

Now we have no superstar, but the most depth that this teams has EVER had.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:23 PM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Quote:
Also thie years Flyers team is the exact antithisis of the Lindros teams of the mid to late 90's. Back then we were built and relied solely on 4-5 players (Lindros, LeClair, Brind'amour, Desjardins). If those players weren't great we didn't win.

Now we have no superstar, but the most depth that this teams has EVER had.
I know I had MUCH for fun watching that 97 team than I'm having watching these guys (the Roenick era). 2000 was a magical run too, but Scott Stevens ruined that (I honestly believe #88 would still be a Flyer if it weren't for that hit. I think he had finally had enough and decided it was time for a change. I hate Stevens for that).

Anyway, we were scoring back then, but we needed a good goalie. Now we've been getting good goaltending and cannot score. It figures.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
he WILL flounder come playoff time.

i know another thing. so will the rest of the team. Two years in a row they quit against Ottawa. We could have called up the entire Phantoms team that would have given a better effort than they did in games 5 and 6. Sure Roman let in that goal to Smolinski, the Flyers had already quit after the first goal because they thought they already won 13 seconds into the game.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:28 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
i know another thing. so will the rest of the team. Two years in a row they quit against Ottawa. We could have called up the entire Phantoms team that would have given a better effort than they did in games 5 and 6. Sure Roman let in that goal to Smolinski, the Flyers had already quit after the first goal because they thought they already won 13 seconds into the game.
No doubt the team quit on Barber the first year against Ottawa.

The team DID NOT quit last year. They were spent and out of gas, a big difference. They were undermanned against Ottawa. Ottawa is bigger, faster, deeper, was well rested and healthy.

There was a huge difference between how the team played the two years against Ottawa.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
The team DID NOT quit last year. They were spent and out of gas, a big difference.

Then there's another reason people are silly to place all the blame on Cechmanek then(I know you're not included with these people). He's the one that plays the entire game.

Or maybe the 'out of gas' thing is a personal problem. It didn't hurt Detroit, Dallas or Colorado all those years they played each other out west. Or New Jersey the two years they played us. We're always the team that gets worn down.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Then there's another reason people are silly to place all the blame on Cechmanek then(I know you're not included with these people). He's the one that plays the entire game.

Or maybe the 'out of gas' thing is a personal problem. It didn't hurt Detroit, Dallas or Colorado all those years they played each other out west. Or New Jersey the two years they played us. We're always the team that gets worn down.

The series again the Leafs was the longest series in NHL history. It wasn't your normal NHL playoff series.

Also we were missing our best defenseman, Roenick, Yushkevich and leClair were each playing with one arm. Gagne still had no wheels.

If you don't think that stuff matters than that isn't being fair to the team. That's why people who think the regular season is meaningless are wrong. It's important to get as easy a first round match as possible.

I don't think being tired or worn down has been an issue for this team since the mid-80's Cup runs, those teams were always injured and spent by the time they reached the Oilers.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Also we were missing our best defenseman, Roenick, Yushkevich and leClair were each playing with one arm. Gagne still had no wheels.

If you don't think that stuff matters than that isn't being fair to the team.

Sure it matters. I'm sure the Flyers aren't the only ones to go through such playoff strife. Like Detroit. Oldest team in the league in 2002. Win the Stanley Cup, 7 game series vs. Colorado. Vancouver in 6 (after being down 2-0 at home) and St. Louis. Yzerman playing with torn knee ligments.

If the Flyers are getting worn down in the 2nd round (1st round equivilant of 9 games). There are definite issues lying beyond the lack of everything else.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:44 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Sure it matters. I'm sure the Flyers aren't the only ones to go through such playoff strife. Like Detroit. Oldest team in the league in 2002. Win the Stanley Cup, 7 game series vs. Colorado. Vancouver in 6 (after being down 2-0 at home) and St. Louis. Yzerman playing with torn knee ligments.

If the Flyers are getting worn down in the 2nd round (1st round equivilant of 9 games). There are definite issues lying beyond the lack of everything else.
Your best defenseman and most important player takes a slapshot and breaks his foot. It's a fluke thing, just like a separated shoulder and torn triceps muscle (Yushkevich & Roenick).

To win the whole thing you have to be very very good, but there is also some luck involved

Closed Thread