HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Earthquake in the Philly area?

Old
08-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
There was a 2.2 in that area about 6:30 this morning according to USGS. But you look at all the quakes that happen every day, that goes unnoticed. I have a friend up in Albany who says he didn't feel a thing for that one (probably still sleeping) but definitely felt the more recent one in VA all the way up there. They probably are related at some level though.
The Richter (sp?) scale does not record on an even level... a 4 reading is not twice a 2 reading for example... the ratio of a 5.9 reading and a 2.2 is not what one would expect; a 2.2 is not 2.2/5.9... I'm no expert but I would guess that a 2.2 is not a very large quake while I know 5.9 is 0.1 from the top of the moderate class and therefore pretty strong... so it might be felt greater than the local 2.2.

Just using logic with a little bit of knowledge here.

I've heard nothing of a foreshock on this and only about an aftershock... If that was a foreshock, I'd fear the real quake coming. Also this is the first I've heard of a major fault on the East Coast.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-23-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
The Richter (sp?) scale does not record on an even level... a 4 reading is not twice a 2 reading for example... the ratio of a 5.9 reading and a 2.2 is not what one would expect; a 2.2 is not 2.2/5.9... I'm no expert but I would guess that a 2.2 is not a very large quake while I know 5.9 is 0.1 from the op of the moderate class and therefore pretty strong... so it might be felt greater than the local 2.2.

Just using logic with a little bit of knowledge here.

I've heard nothing of a foreshock on this and only about an aftershock... If that was a foreshock, I'd fear the real quake coming. Also this is the first I've heard of a major fault on the East Coast.
The whole Virginia/Tennessee area is apparently a ticking time bomb. Apparently quakes are very rare, but occasionally something huge will happen. This region is not built to withstand that kind of thing, so if something bigger comes along it could actually be pretty devastating.

There is actually an extinct volcano or two in Virginia, too.

08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Would have been interesting if I was on the golf course at the time.
I was lol. I was lining up a putt on the 5th green of Willowbrook in Moorestown. The thing that threw me for a loop is that I'm sick, so I thought I was going through some fever-caused hallucinations or something But my legs started wobbling and it felt like I was in some sort of fun house. I turned to my dad and uncle and asked if they felt it, and they looked at me like I was nuts.

Pretty cool though. Good thing it didn't start AFTER I hit the putt.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I was at the Ross in South Philly looking at some Penn State jerseys while the wife was in the Ladies Room... I felt what I thought was someone rolling a huge rack with bad wheels or something past me... looked around to see nothing near me... The strip mall off Oregon and Passyunk Aves is where a bowling alley was over a supermarket, IIRC. I thought that there my still be the bowling lanes above the Ross -- it actually was down a bit and Ross is a newer one story facility... I thought it would be insane if bowling would be felt so easily below and quickly ruled that out.

The guards at Ross were running around looking up and around and going outside to see what they could find... Meanwhile the wife strolls back like nothing is up. I had by that time figured out that we had what I believed was a tiny quake -- I had lived through a couple small ones in the area over my lifetime -- I jokingly said to her, "either the bowling alley is still above here or we had an earthquake"... She answered, "what are you talking about?". It seems that she felt nothing at all while doing her business... maybe she had her feet off the floor at the time. LOL

While we were leaving the guard was coming back in talking about it being an earthquake and he heard a lady saying she saw a car shake... people were all talking about it... When we got in the car we turned on KYW and heard them say the Pentagon was being evacuated; I thought of an attack on the US... but then they talked about an earthquake and how it was being felt as far away as New England even though it was centered outside Washington in Virginia.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

So, last night a bartender called me and asked me to pick up his shift at 10am this morning. I was reluctant, and thought I wouldn't make money.

I actually wasn't going to make money until the earthquake struck.

They evacuated the capitol buildings and trains at Union Station got held over bringing more people. Everyone came to my bar.

I worked my ass off and made more money in one day than I have ever in my entire life.

It was my first ever earthquake by the way (to my knowledge at least).

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 08:57 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I was working then during this at the 911 dispatch center. I thought it was neat until we ended up getting tons and tons of calls! Place went nuts

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I just watched them test the I-95 drawbridge over the Potomac. I suppose that they could have spent a few days exhaustively inspecting every inch of the bridge and all its mechanical pieces, but the "Hey let's just open it and see if it closes" method has more potential to be hilarious.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:20 AM
kicksave27

While structures in the NE aren't build to west coast quake standards, most public non-historic buildings are built to a factor of safety and redundancy that should withstand a moderate earthquake. Skyscrappers sway with high winds, and have newer ones have dampeners. Highway bridges actually move much more than you think they do just by the vibration of traffic. If you had an old brick house with stone foundation that happened to be at the epicenter, it will probably cause some structural integrity issues. Your rigid brick & mortar buildings are a problem. However if we get a 7.0 that lasts for a long time, alot of historic homes & buildings, not to mention structurally deficient bridges of which PA has many of, will fail. Utilities would also be affected, especially gas & water.

We make get a quake & a hurricane in the same week, FUN.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
PuckBoy33

I appreciate your good-natured jest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Cant you read, man? for the love of god, he has an associates degree in bull *****....i mean geology.
But seriously, I have an A.S. from Rutgers in Geology (earth science). Graduated 17th in my class in 1991.

I'm heading to the Phils game right now and will be available in front of Bull's BBQ for most of the game if you want to discuss my credentials. I will be wearing my MG Pronger jersey. I'll even buy you a beer. You have to buy your own ribs.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
kicksave27

Meteorology is more of the bulls__ degree. John Bolaris talking about quakes was rather funny. Geosci is actually useful especially when doing foundations for buildings and stuff. It's a real science.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
BWAVgal
The Mockingjay lives

It was neat.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
40 Floors up in Center City.. on a ladder... was not fun!

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

This just in:

Quote:
UPDATE: The east coast earthquake apparently was caused by an unknown fault line running under D.C. and through Virginia. It is now being called Obama's Fault, though Obama will say it's really Bush's Fault.

... All politics aside... I found that hilarious.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:16 AM
GoKingsGo25
Anaheim what?

too bad most buildings in the philly aren't built for earthquakes

here in Southern California, its normal..... and a 5.9? thats all hahaha

btw may the flyers and kings meet in the cup!

GoKingsGo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:56 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo25 View Post
too bad most buildings in the philly aren't built for earthquakes

here in Southern California, its normal..... and a 5.9? thats all hahaha

btw may the flyers and kings meet in the cup!
ahem

Quote:
For those who have experienced earthquakes in California and their relatively small area of impact, a question arises concerning why such a moderate 5.9-magnitude east coast earthquake with a Virginia epicenter could be felt more than 300 miles away, in New York City?

As one might sense, there is a geological reason for this. The Earth's crust beneath the eastern U.S. is older and harder than the plates in the western U.S. The east coast also has fewer fault lines that are not as seismically active. However, when earthquakes do hit, that hard ground in the east coast literally carries seismic waves better than the west coast ground.

Eastern earthquakes affect areas 10 times larger than western quakes of the same magnitude, with some geologists estimating that figure may be as great as a 100 times, according to New Jersey's geological survey.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:21 AM
GoKingsGo25
Anaheim what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
ahem
hmmm you guys have sketchy earthquakes then,

we have the fun ones, that 7.2 about two years ago that was a pretty good ride for a while .. wasnt good at its epicenter though

but after a while, you feel an earthquake and its like ... hmm thats a good one

GoKingsGo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:24 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo25 View Post
hmmm you guys have sketchy earthquakes then,

we have the fun ones, that 7.2 about two years ago that was a pretty good ride for a while .. wasnt good at its epicenter though

but after a while, you feel an earthquake and its like ... hmm thats a good one
After a while? I couldnt wait for the aftershocks following this one

The 4.3 last night was a pretty good ride. Nothing else noteworthy though.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:21 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Hey guys not to beat a dead horse or sound like an ******* but please, there's really no need to be driving around in the hurricane tomorrow and Sunday. Enjoy a relaxing weekend indoors and just chill. I work in Road Service for AAA and if you get stuck 1. It's dangerous 2. Not many, if any, tow trucks are on the road either its going to be a while before you get service 3. Police are going to do there best as well but you can only respond to so much in a reasonable amount of time. That sandwich from wawa or that 30 pack at a buddy's house isn't worth risking your own safety or the people who are out on the road trying to help those less intelligent individuals.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

He's right. I've driven in one of these things before...the thing with hurricanes and tropical storms, is that everything that seems like a fun and good idea is almost always a bad thing to do.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Gibbs18

When it happened me and 2 friends were laying on the beach. I started shaking and I was clueless. I looked at my friend and asked him if he felt that. Only lasted about 10 seconds but pretty awesome none the less We called our friend that was coming down that night and he said he just smoked and he thoughth his house was going to collapse hahahahaha.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote