HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/12 Eastern Conference Standings Predictions

Old
08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Tusk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I still think they'll be competetive. They are much better than last in the east.
People here seem to have short memories about what a freshly built through free-agency team can accomplish, anything is possible, but, yeah, their goaltending is suspect at this point, that's the biggest difference.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
People here seem to have short memories about what a freshly built through free-agency team can accomplish, anything is possible, but, yeah, their goaltending is suspect at this point, that's the biggest difference.
I don't find their forwards or defense to be all that interesting either, to be honest.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:14 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't find their forwards or defense to be all that interesting either, to be honest.
Exactly. People say we don't have top end talent? This team has nothing special in any area really... Booth and Weiss are great players and they signed a bunch of alright players but with Theo in nets.. meh, don't see them accomplishing much at all actually.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Hmm, I'll make some bold predictions here.

1. Washington
2. Montreal
3. Philly
4. Boston
5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh
7. NYR
8. NJ
9. TB
10. Carolina
11. Toronto
12. Winnipeg
13. Florida
14. NYI
15. Ottawa
bold prediction indeed... but I can see a scenario for them being in dire need for a goalie

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
bold prediction indeed... but I can see a scenario for them being in dire need for a goalie
Unlikely that they miss, especially given that they play in a weak division. Not likely for 4 of 5 Atlantic division teams to make it, and only 1 SouthEast. Nevertheless, I don't think TB will be as strong this season.

I don't like their secondary scoring. I find their goaltending suspect, and Roloson is the oldest starter in the league. The defense has improved: Brewer's a nice addition, but the blueline remains as a bluecollar, handle-it-by-committee group and I don't know how sustainable that is, unless Hedman emerges. I think it's one of the weaker bluelines in the Conference. Lecavalier's injury problems plagued him for the first half of last season, but he looked great down the stretch. He remains as a question mark in my book, though. And while Stamkos is terrific, I'm not sure he's ready to drive the offense himself, and I question St.Louis at 36 years old being able to remain the top flight player he's been.

Every team has ifs. TB doesn't have any more than, say, the NYR and probably has fewer than NJ. However, I like the way NYR has come together as a team. I think the Richards signing is great for them, and he'll fit in perfectly. I like Dubinsky and Anisimov, creating great center depth. Richards enjoyed great chemistry with Eriksson in Dallas, and he's a chemistry-maker. I suspect he'll have the same impact on Gaborik.

The young core on the NYR on defense and for their secondary scoring have come together, play a similar style, and Tortorella has had a real positive impact there. Backstopped by a top netminder, I see the Rangers as improving.

With NJ, I'm a big fan of DeBoer's. I think his more aggressive forecheck will complement a faster team that is fundamentally strong. He's also good with young players and will work well with secondary scoring talents like Josefson and Tedenby. While the blueline's suspect and Brodeur's aging, an offense led by Kovalchuk and Parise, supported by Elias, Zajac (though injured for the first half of the season), the aforementioned youngsters, is one of the better forward groups in the Conference. I see them having a real bounce-back season, and may place better than I've slotted them.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:23 AM
JimmyDarmody

Washington
Pittsburgh
Boston
Tampa
Buffalo
Philadelphia
New York
Montreal

I guess I'll round out the list while I'm at it:

Carolina
New Jersey
Winnipeg
Florida
Toronto
NYI
Ottawa

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:26 AM
Craig71

If we stay healthy, I see us as high as 5th but if we end up banged up like last year then it's a fight for 8th place.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:53 AM
TinordiandSubban

1-wsh
2-mtl
3-nyr
4-bos
5-tbl
6-buf
7-pit
8-tor

9-wpg
10-car
11-njd
12-phi
13-nyi
14-ott
15-fla

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
1-wsh
2-mtl
3-nyr
4-bos
5-tbl
6-buf
7-pit
8-tor

9-wpg
10-car
11-njd
12-phi
13-nyi
14-ott
15-fla

Really? Maybe I'm the only one but I like what the Flyers did this off season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:51 AM
gusfring

1. Washington
2. Boston
3. PIT
4. TB
5. Buffalo
6. PHI
7. NYR
8. MTL

I was really hoping that what happened last year (Boston winning the cup, the Patches incident, and the Boston "beatdown") would have motivated the front office to really go after this, but in the end it didn't happen. I don't see a marked improvement.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Really? Maybe I'm the only one but I like what the Flyers did this off season
I've said it from the beginning when you throw in the Bryzgalov signing they're a better team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
1. Washington
2. Boston
3. PIT
4. TB
5. Buffalo
6. PHI
7. NYR
8. MTL

I was really hoping that what happened last year (Boston winning the cup, the Patches incident, and the Boston "beatdown") would have motivated the front office to really go after this, but in the end it didn't happen. I don't see a marked improvement.
Adding Konopka and O'Brien isn't a massive improvement in fact I'd even argue adding a thug like Konopka negates the impact O'Brien would likely have. (That's how bad Konopka is)

So if you didn't want either of these two guys who was available that you would have taken Winchester???

Aside from Brad Richards I just don't see how we would have improved so vastly given the market. Obviously since you reference the beatdown and motivation to go after this one can only assume you mean goons.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:16 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've said it from the beginning when you throw in the Bryzgalov signing they're a better team.

Adding Konopka and O'Brien isn't a massive improvement in fact I'd even argue adding a thug like Konopka negates the impact O'Brien would likely have. (That's how bad Konopka is)

So if you didn't want either of these two guys who was available that you would have taken Winchester???

Aside from Brad Richards I just don't see how we would have improved so vastly given the market. Obviously since you reference the beatdown and motivation to go after this one can only assume you mean goons.
No I don't. I mean guys who can play any type of game and are adaptable. BTW, Konopka is not a thug.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:32 AM
neofury*

Quote:
No I don't. I mean guys who can play any type of game and are adaptable. BTW, Konopka is not a thug.
He brings nothing to the team other than faceoffs and fighting, sucks at playing hockey and was on the 4th line of one of the worst teams in the NHL (just barely) and will be again this year and was signed by a team trying to tank. Highly doubt it was his first choice, likely one of his only choices.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:36 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I am so not sold on the Rangers.

Every time they get huge FA but it always becomes a dud.
It's Magik. It's all just random. It's medieval witchcraft. Every time before this happened, so it's going to happen again.

If I enter your Magik world where there are no reasons for anything, just Magik, in fact I would say that the Rags are due, due to magik wizards of course, not mathematical chance, to have a very good FA signing this time.

BTW I like your new site!

Last edited by bsl: 08-26-2011 at 09:45 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
gusfring

Quote:
He brings nothing to the team other than faceoffs and fighting, sucks at playing hockey and was on the 4th line of one of the worst teams in the NHL (just barely) and will be again this year and was signed by a team trying to tank. Highly doubt it was his first choice, likely one of his only choices.
This "4th line on one of the worst teams in hockey" is a total joke.

Sean Bergenheim was a 3rd liner on that same team - he's ok right?

Konopka is a great team guy and would have helped here but he isn't the only one.

Guys like Vandermeer, Stewart, Torres would have helped as well...

Oh well, it's just an opinion.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
MathMan

Quote:
I don't like their secondary scoring. I find their goaltending suspect, and Roloson is the oldest starter in the league.
The thing about Tampa is that they were a dominant puck possession club that was hamstrung by absolutely horrible goaltending. We're talking below .890. You can call up a guy from the AHL and expect better than this. It's pretty much the only reason they didn't win the East.

That makes them a strong 5-on-5 club with excellent special teams -- Tampa is a very good team. In fact they're a lot like the Habs, except that instead of being unable to buy a goal, they were unable to buy a save.

They don't need Roloson to be a world-beater. Heck, they don't particularly need their starter to be Roloson. If they can get even average goaltending, Tampa is going to be a top club. Unfortunately for them, Washington added a top goalie, so they're probably second-best in that division.

Quote:
They threw away their two tough-minutes centers and replaced them with worse player that they hope will become better someday, and Bryzgalov isn't going to give them better goaltending than Bobrovsky gave them last year. There's no way they're a better club than last year.

Last edited by Mike8: 08-26-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: merge
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
This "4th line on one of the worst teams in hockey" is a total joke.

Sean Bergenheim was a 3rd liner on that same team - he's ok right?

Konopka is a great team guy and would have helped here but he isn't the only one.

Guys like Vandermeer, Stewart, Torres would have helped as well...

Oh well, it's just an opinion.
The New York Islanders you mean? And for the record when he played for Tampa they didn't even make the playoffs or have a .500 record. (Horrible team, 4th liner for them)

Previous season he played with Tampa I won't judge due to having only played 7 games but the following season they don't make the playoffs then a year after getting rid of him they go to the conference finals. Selective memory much? The guy has sucked for every team he's played on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
They threw away their two tough-minutes centers and replaced them with worse player that they hope will become better someday, and Bryzgalov isn't going to give them better goaltending than Bobrovsky gave them last year. There's no way they're a better club than last year.
Yeah, he is going to give them better goaltending than Bobrovsky did and he'll be more consistent in the playoffs than any of their previous goalies. They won't need to switch them around constantly.

I mean really comparing Bob to Bryz? Either you're just looking at numbers or you've rarely if ever watched Bryz play to make a comment like that.

Bob is good but young and unproven, and he struggled in the post season. Sure the team had injuries but plenty of teams did and Philly has a ton of depth.

Plus adding Voracek, Schenn and Simmonds isn't "throwing away". Also both those players had very long term contracts despite being good deals and hadn't exactly won them a cup. Furthermore they got Couturier in the draft. Sure it's futures but they didn't "throw them away". It was a calculated risk and I think it'll work out for them. We'll see though. This isn't something you can simply use math to figure out. We don't know how good these players will play, we don't know what the locker room drama was like in Philly, we know nothing about the development of Couturier or Schenn who could easily go from boom to bust. Time will certainly tell but "throwing them away" certainly wasn't the case here. Calculated risk is what it is. Not saying they'll immediately be better but they have the depth to make a move like that.

Old
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
1-wsh
2-mtl
3-nyr
4-bos
5-tbl
6-buf
7-pit
8-tor

9-wpg
10-car
11-njd
12-phi
13-nyi
14-ott
15-fla
TO in the playoffs, but not Philly or Jersey? Can't see it, but hey, injuries etc and ya never know...man what a long offseason, just drop the puck already...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
It's Magik. It's all just random. It's medieval witchcraft. Every time before this happened, so it's going to happen again.
Nothing magic about it. They keep signing free agents based on recently having career seasons, and don't examine context, averages, regression to the mean, transient factors, or anything else, they just expect them to produce at the same level of their career seasons and base their contracts and signings on that. No wonder it never works.

Richards won't be as good as they hope, either, but he's a very good player and he will help them. He just won't take them over the top.

Old
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
gusfring

Quote:
The New York Islanders you mean? And for the record when he played for Tampa they didn't even make the playoffs or have a .500 record. (Horrible team, 4th liner for them)

Previous season he played with Tampa I won't judge due to having only played 7 games but the following season they don't make the playoffs then a year after getting rid of him they go to the conference finals. Selective memory much? The guy has sucked for every team he's played on.

Yeah, he is going to give them better goaltending than Bobrovsky did and he'll be more consistent in the playoffs than any of their previous goalies. They won't need to switch them around constantly.

I mean really comparing Bob to Bryz? Either you're just looking at numbers or you've rarely if ever watched Bryz play to make a comment like that.

Bob is good but young and unproven, and he struggled in the post season. Sure the team had injuries but plenty of teams did and Philly has a ton of depth.
What a joke. TB got to the conference finals because Konopka was not on the team?

Old
08-26-2011, 10:11 AM
MathMan

Quote:
The Flyers 5-on-5 save percentage was .923. Montreal's was .925. I don't care how the two goalies look, I don't care that Bobrovsky is "young and unproven" and Bryzgalov has a better reputation. The Flyers are just not going to get much better goaltending than that out of Bryzgalov next year. Whether Bobrovsky could have been this good is not particularly relevant, I'm just pointing out that Bryzgalov next year isn't going to be better than Bobrovsky last year.

And in general, I care more about whether a goalie stops the puck than how he looks doing it or how much of a reputation he's accumulated. Sue me.

Quote:
Bob is good but young and unproven, and he struggled in the post season.
Bob started all of three games in the postseason. The Flyers decided they couldn't trust him but failed to realize they didn't have a better option. So they elected to use goalies they knew were below-average instead of trying out someone with at least a chance to be better than that.

Philly is really, really stupid about goaltending.

Old
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
guest1467

Quote:

Plus adding Voracek, Schenn and Simmonds isn't "throwing away". Also both those players had very long term contracts despite being good deals and hadn't exactly won them a cup. Furthermore they got Couturier in the draft. Sure it's futures but they didn't "throw them away". It was a calculated risk and I think it'll work out for them. We'll see though. This isn't something you can simply use math to figure out. We don't know how good these players will play, we don't know what the locker room drama was like in Philly, we know nothing about the development of Couturier or Schenn who could easily go from boom to bust. Time will certainly tell but "throwing them away" certainly wasn't the case here. Calculated risk is what it is. Not saying they'll immediately be better but they have the depth to make a move like that.
I really don't think you are reading MathMan's arguments properly. This is a standings thread, ie, how people will do in the regular season next year, not anything else. Playoffs, and years down the line are irrelevant.

Bottom line:

-Bobrovsky actually gave them good goaltending last regular season, and at times was outright sensational.

-Richards and Carter are straight up their best defensive/tough minute forwards, they have been both lost, now all those players that got easy minutes because of those two being in the lineup, have to take on more. For example, expect Giroux's numbers to go down a bit this season.

-They simply are just not better than last season, they have gone backwards.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I really don't think you are reading MathMan's arguments properly. This is a standings thread, ie, how people will do in the regular season next year, not anything else. Playoffs, and years down the line are irrelevant.

Bottom line:

-Bobrovsky actually gave them good goaltending last regular season, and at times was outright sensational.

-Richards and Carter are straight up their best defensive/tough minute forwards, they have been both lost, now all those players that got easy minutes because of those two being in the lineup, have to take on more. For example, expect Giroux's numbers to go down a bit this season.

I agree, the Flyers have taken a step back, and if they get an injury to Giroux, or JVR there goes the offense...must have been major havoc in the room to do what they did with Richie and Carter...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:36 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

Bottom line:

True enough but I don't see them being in 6-13th place like I've seen some people post. The point I was making is that they lost those two guys but they could still play better together as a team.

You are right though it's a regular season thread but honestly I just don't see them being such a worse off team this year. Sure losing two solid centers is bad, they had Briere and Giroux already though. I think people are quite honestly over-estimating the impact it will have on their team. They've had solid offensive depth for years. This changes it but I don't think they'll be that much worse off early on and I think in the long run they could be better.

I agree it is a 2010-11 regular season standings thread, but I just don't see them missing the playoffs this year. I think anything from 3rd to 8th place is still possible for the Flyers. If they didn't have a ton of depth maybe I'd agree, but they do.

The point I'm making is being worse off on paper doesn't necessarily equate to being worse. This new team they've assembled might click very well and Bryz is definitely capable of playing better than Bob at this point in his career. The point I was making about the playoffs is that regular season means nothing compared to the playoffs. Bob played well in the regular season because he was on a stacked team during the regular season. Once playoff hockey took place he went no where. Bryz will now be the #1 on this stacked team in the regular and should have no trouble doing equal or better than Bob did. Being that it's the regular season and not playoff hockey I don't see Bryz playing worse than Bob did last year, which will mean and even greater chance of winning games.

Old
08-26-2011, 10:59 AM
guest1467

Quote:
True enough but I don't see them being in 6-13th place like I've seen some people post. The point I was making is that they lost those two guys but they could still play better together as a team.
Granted. They could play better as a group, but that on the whole is very hard to predict with little evidence or experience to base on.

Quote:
You are right though it's a regular season thread but honestly I just don't see them being such a worse off team this year. Sure losing two solid centers is bad, they had Briere and Giroux already though. I think people are quite honestly over-estimating the impact it will have on their team. They've had solid offensive depth for years. This changes it but I don't think they'll be that much worse off early on and I think in the long run they could be better.
I don't think a lot of people outside of Philly realize just how important Richards was to that team, on the ice. Whenever the opposing team put out their best line, out came Richards. Not only could he shut them down, but he actually often outscored that top line. Richards is easily one of the best two way centers in the game.

These things just aren't easy to replace. Its like the equivalent of us losing Pleks.

Quote:
I agree it is a 2010-11 regular season standings thread, but I just don't see them missing the playoffs this year. I think anything from 3rd to 8th place is still possible for the Flyers. If they didn't have a ton of depth maybe I'd agree, but they do.
I am not sure I have them out of the playoffs like others do, but I do see them as a bubble team.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote