HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-25-2011, 10:06 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
To me, the BIGGEST frustration is coming off the team's best finish EVER, and not seeing 1 proven, talented missing piece to the puzzle. Even as thrilling as the playoffs were, the PREDS just made it out of the 1st round, so there are certainly pieces missing-something the Captain sees and has not seen being resolved. Speaking of #6, has anyone else noticed that the billboards and print ads for tickets are showing just Ryan Suter; is Shea waiting to see if there are big name entertainers who are going to pose for the ticket plan ads before he poses for a pic himself???? I know I'm being sarcastic, but this summer's theme of EVERY area of the team NOT capitalizing on that momentum from last spring seems to be fully alive.
to us hard core fans it must seem like we arent capitalizing on the momentum from last year but everything you hear about season tix renewals and ticket sales is positive, and it seems like every time you turn around there is a new sponsor on board (like did anyone notice that the club level is now the Gary Force Acura level?)

Im thinking we are in better shape than we think, and will be in a good position when teams start falling by the wayside and are ready to unload players.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:21 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Let's just hope we aren't one of the teams to fall by the wayside. I'll post something more substantive when I'm not using my phone.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
IMO our ideal trading partner would be a team that has some good players but is at the end of their "window". Teams that will probably head into this season hoping to make a run but as the season goes on it becomes apparent that they just dont have it anymore and decide to trade their assets for youth and start the rebuild.

the two most likely candidate teams for this are Calgary and New Jersey. They could get a huge return for Iginla and Kiprusoff, Parise and Brodeur, probably enough to make a rebuild relatively short and minimally painful for their fans.

David Singleton has talked frequently about us going for Iginla, and I have always thought it wouldnt work, but with the rise in the cap midpoint I think its doable now. And the fact that he is signed through '13 makes it a move poile is more likely to make than a pure rental. It would cost an arm and a leg, but if it could be made, thats a deal that I think would be amazing and would definitely convince Weber that we are serious.

Parise would be a rental and thus cost less but if it got us to the WCFs or beyond I could see us convincing him to stay.

Dallas is probably also in this category. Phoenix should be, but I dont know exactly how their GM will behave with the NHL still owning the team..

I think Poile makes a move, possibly a huge move, but it wont be until midseason.

Anything before then will be scoring depth, someone who might bump Halischuk or Geoffrion back to Milwaukee for a little more consistency
Iginla is one of the players I was thinking about. We would have to either send some cash back to Calgary, or we would have to be ok with spending beyond the midpoint. That doesn't necessarily mean a loss of money, as revenue sharing is broken into two tiers, and we will be eligible for the first tier for at least the foreseeable future. IF we could convince Weber, Suter, and Rinne to take backloaded contracts then we could theoretically get Iginla for picks and prospects since his deal is over in two seasons. However, it's likely a young roster player like SK, Hornqvist, or Wilson would have to go to Alberta in the deal. If I'm Calgary's GM and I'm moving Iginla because I'm about to begin a rebuild then I want one of those players back from Nashville. Also, if Iginla is being moved expect every playoff team and playoff bubble team (obviously the ones with the cap space or the ability to create the cap space) to be in on the deal. This is the one area where 16 teams making the play offs bites us in the ass.

Old
08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Lol, I guess I just got sick of arguing with you. I'm even more sick now that you are double quoting my post and yours, as if to say, I'll take your silence as defeat. Lol.
I didn't mean to upset you my friend. I genuinely thought I missed an article, quote, or rumor on the subject. What did I say that made you sick of talking to me because I only replied to you twice..

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would have thought that but I remember reading something this summer indicating that he might be willing to go somewhere as a rental if the team he went to was a legit cup contender.
I hadn't read that, but it would be interesting. NJ wouldn't get much in return though, and I don't see how given his play and injuries the past few seasons, that a team would bank on him taking them the distance.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:19 PM
belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That was VERY impressive having nearly 80% of the entire camp roster on the ice for captain's workouts in the week leading up to the start of training camp.

I do think however that that was mainly organized by Sullivan and Dumont though because they were in town for their kids to start school, etc and it grew from there. Will be interesting to see if we hear about similar workouts in the next few weeks as guys start to get back - (although the majority of our team is too young to have school aged children right now...)
Any word of player organized, pre-season workouts?

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle View Post
Any word of player organized, pre-season workouts?
Not yet, but of our players and prospects on Twitter most seem to be planning to arrive this week so I'm sure workouts will be going on...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I know Centennial is down to only one sheet of ice right now and the Predators Practice Rink is still closed for repairs.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I know Centennial is down to only one sheet of ice right now and the Predators Practice Rink is still closed for repairs.
I believe most of the workouts last year took place at A-Game...maybe NineInchFangs has an update?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:32 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

you sure they are not all coming in to take wade belaks 9pm thunder on monday?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
patches67

Shea Weber

Being another contract year for Weber, how do you think his point output will look this year?

I'm hoping somewhere arounf 21G 38A for 59 PTS (And that is my optimistic, yet not unreasonable, guess).

patches67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:32 PM
predfan98

bye bye captain.

heard today that the preds had a 7 million, 7 year offer to weber with his old agent. then when he switched, he demanded that the preds also had to promise to spend to the cap.

sounds like he and his agent think he is more than a franchise player....that he/they think , well, i'm not sure exactly how to say it nicely.

See ya.............get a good trade for him. hope he doesn't poison the locker room , or suter and pekka...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
bye bye captain.

heard today that the preds had a 7 million, 7 year offer to weber with his old agent. then when he switched, he demanded that the preds also had to promise to spend to the cap.

sounds like he and his agent think he is more than a franchise player....that he/they think , well, i'm not sure exactly how to say it nicely.

See ya.............get a good trade for him. hope he doesn't poison the locker room , or suter and pekka...
Where did you "hear" this? Inside information, I presume?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:44 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Where did you "hear" this? Inside information, I presume?
from someone employed at 501 Broadway. very reliable, and I don't doubt it. it was said very matter of fact.

what was said was about the offer on the table and what happened when the agents changed. everything else in my original post was my thoughts............ (hope that is clear)

Old
08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
topched88

vCash: 50
Hey guys nucks fan here,

Just giving out some info though you guys might like, Im by no means a reliable source but I have known shea personally since before he played for the rockets, had him and his girlfriend bailey over for dinner the other night:

Long story short - Shea has been training most every day this off season in kelowna, took a month off after the playoffs to rest and then has been working out with some of his old freinds (comeau, gorges ect). said he will be coming down to nashville within a week early to get ready for the year

He was very surprised at how much the fans really emerged once they got into the second round, and that excites him for the upcoming year, I asked him about his feelings about his situation in nashville and he replied simply by "I love it there" Loves playing for barry trotz, loves his neighborhood in nashville aswell as his friends that hes met there, he told me he has no big desire to play anywhere else and he is quite content with staying there for a long time

And hey this guy isnt some Greedy ***** who thinks hes a hot shot, hes one of the most humble guys that i know and most of the money he makes goes to his family.

You guys are lucky to have him!

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
predfan98

sorry, don't buy this line of "i love it here and want to stay".

7 million, 7 years...........turned it down.... just don't buy this anymore.

Old
08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
cleangene

Has anyone heard if he's back in town (for that matter, anyone besides Kleiner who threw out the first pitch at the sounds game)?? As I mentioned earlier, I do find it a bit strange (and shaky) NOT to see his likeness on any ticket plan promotions for the upcoming season.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
bye bye captain.

If this is true, then Weber needs to be dealt or we need to win the cup this year... idk what to think.

Now a canucks fan comes in and says the complete opposite.

I don't know what to think.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:19 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
Hey guys nucks fan here,

Just giving out some info though you guys might like, Im by no means a reliable source but I have known shea personally since before he played for the rockets, had him and his girlfriend bailey over for dinner the other night:

Long story short - Shea has been training most every day this off season in kelowna, took a month off after the playoffs to rest and then has been working out with some of his old freinds (comeau, gorges ect). said he will be coming down to nashville within a week early to get ready for the year

He was very surprised at how much the fans really emerged once they got into the second round, and that excites him for the upcoming year, I asked him about his feelings about his situation in nashville and he replied simply by "I love it there" Loves playing for barry trotz, loves his neighborhood in nashville aswell as his friends that hes met there, he told me he has no big desire to play anywhere else and he is quite content with staying there for a long time

And hey this guy isnt some Greedy ***** who thinks hes a hot shot, hes one of the most humble guys that i know and most of the money he makes goes to his family.

You guys are lucky to have him!
Well if this is all truth it gives me SOME closure. But not enough. We need a scorer, and I think Shea wants that as well.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Well if this is all truth it gives me SOME closure. But not enough. We need a scorer, and I think Shea wants that as well.
not liking our odds of keeping weber

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:38 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
sorry, don't buy this line of "i love it here and want to stay".

7 million, 7 years...........turned it down.... just don't buy this anymore.
I don't get your confusion.

He is a franchise player, and if his demands to sign are accompanied by a demand that they spend to the cap how is that a bad thing? He wants to stay, but not at the expense of winning and if they don't spend to the cap AND spend 7 per season on him they'll never win anything.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:51 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I don't get your confusion.

He is a franchise player, and if his demands to sign are accompanied by a demand that they spend to the cap how is that a bad thing? He wants to stay, but not at the expense of winning and if they don't spend to the cap AND spend 7 per season on him they'll never win anything.
from what i know players don't dictate what is spend on other players. and since with our ownership we don't spend to the cap ceiling............it is a freakin unreasonable demand. and shea webers been here enough years to know the reality of our ownership.\

and he's not a franchise player anymore.........he turned down 7million for 7 years

suit up, mr suter.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

So someone who works for the Preds said that Weber turned down a long term deal. Didn't we already know this? I'm pretty sure we've been talking about Weber having been offered, and ultimately rejecting, a long term deal worth in the neighborhood of what his one year deal pays him. What's new?

FWIW, there are multiple ways of looking at any situation, and this in particular can be looked at as Weber turning down a long term deal because he isn't in a position of wanting to commit long term yet. It doesn't mean he wants to leave. It means he wants to remain flexible. Que the sky falling

Old
08-30-2011, 06:12 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So someone who works for the Preds said that Weber turned down a long term deal. Didn't we already know this? I'm pretty sure we've been talking about Weber having been offered, and ultimately rejecting, a long term deal worth in the neighborhood of what his one year deal pays him. What's new?

FWIW, there are multiple ways of looking at any situation, and this in particular can be looked at as Weber turning down a long term deal because he isn't in a position of wanting to commit long term yet. It doesn't mean he wants to leave. It means he wants to remain flexible. Que the sky falling
I agree with you that we already knew that weber turned down a long term deal, but i have never heard an amount... and I did, and i heard that weber/agent demanded that we spend to the cap... so with that info.........and that mindset, he's gone....really gone.

so , since sports are so mental, if that is his attitude, spend to the cap or i'm not going to stay...........trade him, trade him and get your $'s worth.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

you believe everything? Unless that conversation was with Poile or one of Weber's close friends/teammates I'd take it with a grain of salt. Sales staff and office staff know little more than we do.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote