HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan on the second line, Anisimov third

Old
08-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Staal works hard around the net and gets the puck in but AA can rip a wrister and bury it. If Jordan Staal is a Micheal Peca type then Anisimov is a Pavel Datsyuk type.
The reason I don't like the Datsyuk comparison is because Datsyuk is small and amazing at protecting the puck with what little frame he has.

Anisimov has good stick skills, but nowhere nears Dats's.

AA to me is a combination of Antropov and later career Sergei Fedorov (When the speed was gone-Capitals)

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:22 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
disagree completely. The natural chemistry between those three was amazing last year. Add that with a true first line and you have two great lines. Then add in a third of Step - Zucc and Fed and thats a really hard team to play against.

Plus Ani's all around game is great, we need to develop his offense. He is already great defensively. Putting him with Rupp and Prust would be a waste of the offensive talents he does have.

Our 2nd line will probably get matched up against top lines seeing how good defensively Cally, Ani and Dubi are.
This^.
The OP's suggestion is thoughtful, but the chemistry of our 2nd line shouldn't be mucked with. Just develop a good fit W upgrade for our first line. That's what needs to happen, a talent upgrade.
I see Stepan developing at 3c, useful to guys like Hagelin

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:23 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Does it really matter? Both Stepan and Artie will get time on all 4 lines, most likely. We all know Torts will mix and match on a game to game, period to period and sometimes even shift to shift basis.

I don't care what numbers the lines are. Find combinations that work well together, then give more ice time to the combinations playing the best at any given time. Some nights that will be Gaborik, Richards and Dubi/WW/Other, some nights it won't. If some players are playing well, they may get shifts on more than one line.

Both players will get their share of ice time, provided they are earning it.
Exactly the first thought on my mind. Artie was a 1/2 last year b/c the pack line was 1st line some games and 2nd others. Next year will likely feature more mixing and matching. Obviously we know tho that Artie was more of a 2 and step was more of a 3 last year. This upcoming year who knows there's a lot of uncertainty but in a good way as we are trying to mix and match with our brand knew (better be) all star center and our 2 very young and getting better centers.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Its a great problem to have, nonetheless.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Wolski - Richards - Gaborik

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello/Avery

Rupp - Boyle - Prust

These are the lines that I would like to see coming in to the season.

Unless he's completely changed, can show it, and puts out the whole year, no Wo on the first line. Make that bum work and prove he deserves a spot. He's lucky his sorry ass hasn't been bought out for cap space yet.

I'd trade Girardi + for an upgrade on a 1LW, assuming that materializes.
As of today, this is what I think the lines should be:

Fedotenko/Avery - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Hagelin
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Avery --- gone after this year. But could relieve Feds, and has demonstrated, if memory serves, playing well with Richards previously.
MZA extra F given chance to see if he can show more, but until he does, is not a starter as above.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Artem Anisimov

Why should Stepan steal Anisimov's second line spot when Anisimov has been showing steady improvement in his all-around game since he's been in the NHL? Stepan is the third line center. Sorry if you disagree but this is obviously Artie's spot.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
xxxZENxxx

I believe that AA will start on the 2nd line, but in the end... Stepan will be a better fit with the more offensive players. His lack of face-off ability might hold him back though.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I believe that AA will start on the 2nd line, but in the end... Stepan will be a better fit with the more offensive players. His lack of face-off ability might hold him back though.
This is why I think that the Rangers should just give Stepan a try on LW.

Now we're stacked at C and we need a LW.

The Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan line shouldnt be messed with. They are the most reliable all-around players the rangers have right now.

I think if Wolski doesn't work out on the first line, Stepan should give LW a try and just see how he does. I think he would be better on the left side to create passes for his teammates.

Did anybody watch the IIHF world championship? Stepan did most of his work from the left side. Especially on the powerplay.

I guarantee Stepan will still get around 15 minutes a night. He's just not a second liner yet. On this team at least.

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:13 PM
eco's bones

All this shows me that the Rangers are stronger down the middle than they've been in a long time. Just comparing Anisimov to Stepan though--Artem's a more rounded and a bigger player--though he could fill out more--Derek is the more creative of the two though. 40 some points as a raw rookie is nothing to sneeze at. He needs to get stronger too.

Personally I can't remember really the last time we had set lines that stayed that way from one end of the year to the other. There's a lot of interchangeablity and it's not even neceassarily about who might be playing better--sometimes it's situational--as a for instance I'd prefer Anisimov on the ice more in the last 5 minutes of a game that we were ahead by a goal. If we were behind by a goal in those last few minutes and say going on a pwp--I'm taking Stepan over Anisimov every time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

If Stepan doesn't learn how to win a faceoff the point is kinda moot no?

He may stick at center but he won't be on the top-2 lines

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:48 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
It's doing the team a great disservice to not put Dubinsky on the first line. You're putting all 3 grinding forwards that can score at a good rate on one line together (minus maybe Boyle) and making your team not as balanced as it could be. And you're making your top line worse just to keep the chemistry together that to me would be fine without Dubinsky on that line.

And what I completely don't get is there are people that are saying Fedotenko and Richards played together so they'd have an easier time...that was 10 years ago. And yet, we can't take Dubinsky off the pack line for a month or two and see how it goes? Why is the mentality that once we break up Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan they can never have the same chemistry again?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
The Perfect Paradox

I think they'll be seeing split time on the 2nd line, depending on who is playing better at the time. While it would be great to keep the Pack line together, I have a feeling that Dubi will end up playing LW on the first line.

Richards is more of a playmaker, which requires him to cycle the puck and draw the opposition towards him, making it much easier for his linemates to get into high scoring areas. With Gaborik obviously being the shooter, you need a gritty player to win battles along the boards and go to the dirty areas to cash in on rebounds. Dubinksy is much more suited for that role compared to Wolski.

With that said, I feel that since the Pack line may be broken up, we'll see Anisimov and Stepan splitting time on the 2nd line with Callahan and one of Wolski or Fedotenko. Torts also rides players who are hot streaks, so I would assume whatever player is performing better at the time, will play on the higher line.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's doing the team a great disservice to not put Dubinsky on the first line. You're putting all 3 grinding forwards that can score at a good rate on one line together (minus maybe Boyle) and making your team not as balanced as it could be. And you're making your top line worse just to keep the chemistry together that to me would be fine without Dubinsky on that line.

And what I completely don't get is there are people that are saying Fedotenko and Richards played together so they'd have an easier time...that was 10 years ago. And yet, we can't take Dubinsky off the pack line for a month or two and see how it goes? Why is the mentality that once we break up Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan they can never have the same chemistry again?
I think if it works, Torts will do it. He may try your way right off the bat, he may try another way... training camp is still 3 weeks away. I'm sure the players, coaches and even the fans will want to see something actually tried on the ice before carving anything in stone. (Not that anything Torts does is ever in stone)

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Have people watched Tortorella coach?

Does it matter who gets the label #2/#3C when its going to change on a games to game or even shift to shift basis?

When it comes to who will be the better player in general, I think you have to go with Stepan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Have people watched Tortorella coach?

Does it matter who gets the label #2/#3C when its going to change on a games to game or even shift to shift basis?

When it comes to who will be the better player in general, I think you have to go with Stepan.
Exactly. Apart from maybe the Boyle/Prust combo last year all our forwards got moved all over the place---well maybe with the exception of Boogaard. Even thinking of Boyle in terms as the 4th line center misses the mark. Plenty of games last year when he played between 15 and 20 minutes a night and he produced over 20 goals. Rangers have 4 solid NHL centers with Richards clearly the top dog. And they have the semi reliable Christensen as well. + Dubinsky if things get really desperate.

These are some of the reasons I think we should be a very good club this year--solid down the middle with our center strength. If healthy we'll be able to roll 4 lines without a problem that are all threats to score. A solid young defense core. A great goaltender. Along with that 3 of our 4 best forwards (all in their 20's are wings)--Gaborik, Callahan and Dubinsky.

But expecting Tortorella to keep lines together or to clearly denote that such and such line is the first line and such and such is the second is not how it's going to work--or how he works.

Old
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think its all micro-managing.

The line thats going is going to get more time, and I would think if Dubi and/or Cally is on one of those lines thats the one that will prob get more time, who the center is will be the afterthought - even though I love both Step and Ani.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Wolski with Anisimov and Callahan makes more sense, IMO. He needs responsible players, and with Callahan crashing and banging and acting as a catalyst, that line could work.

Wolski with Richards and Gaborik makes no sense. Richards and Gaborik need a multidimensional worker and physical player. A catalyst. Wolski is the opposite of that.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Erixon

If one of Avery/Christensen need to be let go, then so be it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think its all micro-managing.

The line thats going is going to get more time, and I would think if Dubi and/or Cally is on one of those lines thats the one that will prob get more time, who the center is will be the afterthought - even though I love both Step and Ani.
Yup.

I actually think Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan would be a really fun line, and Im sure we'll see it at some point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:31 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I hope Stepan worked on something during the summer.

1. Skating
2. Shot
3. Strength
4. Faceoffs

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I hope Stepan worked on something during the summer.

1. Skating
2. Shot
3. Strength
4. Faceoffs
With all those problem areas he still had a pretty damn good rookie season.

Old
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yup.

I actually think Dubinsky-Richards-Callahan would be a really fun line, and Im sure we'll see it at some point.
If Richards-Gaborik start getting shut down in any given game, im sure that will happen, splitting them up.

The addition of Richards should help Gaborik even when they're not on the ice together. One of the two will manage to avoid other teams' top defenders from time to time.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Wolski with Anisimov and Callahan makes more sense, IMO. He needs responsible players, and with Callahan crashing and banging and acting as a catalyst, that line could work.

Wolski with Richards and Gaborik makes no sense. Richards and Gaborik need a multidimensional worker and physical player. A catalyst. Wolski is the opposite of that.

Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Stepan - Zuccarello
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Erixon

If one of Avery/Christensen need to be let go, then so be it.
EXACT lineup I envision.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

While ideally I would like to keep the pack line together. I also understand that the lineups are subject to change for the most part.

While Dubinsky would probably be a better fit at the top line LW spot, I also envision stretches where different players get looks for stretches.

Personally, I would keep Anisimov on the 2nd line center spot. He has more experience, and it really gives Stepan a chance to continue to grow while facing lower level defensemen.

I expect that possibly as soon as next year that Stepan should overtake Anisimov as the number two center. It all depends on how much he grows this year as a player. He's only in his 2nd NHL year, no need to rush him into the number two spot.

08-26-2011, 09:34 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

good points here but there are problems.

first, arty is primarily a defensive centerman. thats his best role. his skating is still suspect and his offensive ability, while improving, doesnt match the vision and slipperiness that derek stepan has right now. imo, stepan would be wasted playing with checkers while asking arty to center a scoring line is asking too much.

stepan flat out knows where to go and what to do when he gets there. while arty is still more comfortable in his defense first role which allows him to counter attack and create off turnovers.

stepan is purely more creative in the o zone and thus more dangerous playing with skilled players. at the same time, anisimov is worlds better than stepan when it comes to 2 way play, neutral zone attack angles and back checking. arty has a very developed defensive mind and understands his checking role better than pretty much any other forward on this team.

apples and oranges as far as im concerned. given that, there no doubt in my mind that arty should play on which ever line is more structured towards checking first while stepan should be the pivot on which ever line is geared towards scoring.

and steps should get ample pp time this year. hes exactly the kind of centerman we need to handle pucks down low and work his magic around the crease.

let arty continue to get major pk time and excel in his defensive forward role that hes best suited for.

Wolski - stepan - Callahan
Fedotenko - arty- hagelin
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

theres you lineup folks

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
good points here but there are problems.

first, arty is primarily a defensive centerman. thats his best role. his skating is still suspect and his offensive ability, while improving, doesnt match the vision and slipperiness that derek stepan has right now. imo, stepan would be wasted playing with checkers while asking arty to center a scoring line is asking too much.

stepan flat out knows where to go and what to do when he gets there. while arty is still more comfortable in his defense first role which allows him to counter attack and create off turnovers.

stepan is purely more creative in the o zone and thus more dangerous playing with skilled players. at the same time, anisimov is worlds better than stepan when it comes to 2 way play, neutral zone attack angles and back checking. arty has a very developed defensive mind and understands his checking role better than pretty much any other forward on this team.

apples and oranges as far as im concerned. given that, there no doubt in my mind that arty should play on which ever line is more structured towards checking first while stepan should be the pivot on which ever line is geared towards scoring.

and steps should get ample pp time this year. hes exactly the kind of centerman we need to handle pucks down low and work his magic around the crease.

let arty continue to get major pk time and excel in his defensive forward role that hes best suited for.

Wolski - stepan - Callahan
Fedotenko - arty- hagelin
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

theres you lineup folks
Anisimov is more then a defensive center.lets be realistic here when looking at facts.

Anisimov had next to NO powerplay time all year.
Stepan seen a good amount of powerplay time.

Anisimov didnt play with many of the top scoreres on the team last year.

Stepan did.

Anisimov was never used in many offensive situations at all,whether it be power play,end of game,anything.
Stepan was.

my point?Anisimov STILL had 42 points while playing mostly with 3rd/4th liners while being a solid penalty killer.

pretty good for a defensive center,huh?

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote