HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects Top 40 + Past Rankings

Old
08-21-2011, 07:11 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
He's still considered a prospect? Can't we upgrade him to AHL'er yet?
I was poking fun at the poll from last year where their was a big hubbub about whether or not to include Locke as a prospect. I wasn't serious.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

What a difference a year can make!

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
starling

6 PPG scorers in CHL '10-11.
Not bad if you ask me.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I love how Jim O'Brien made huge strides last year and went from after-thought to legitimate prospect... yet still had a pretty substantial drop.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
blair7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
6 PPG scorers in CHL '10-11.
Not bad if you ask me.
Who are the six?
I count: Stone, Puempel, Noesen, Prince and Pageau.

blair7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair7 View Post
Who are the six?
I count: Stone, Puempel, Noesen, Prince and Pageau.
Wacey Hamilton is the 6th.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
hockeyfan747

Wow, 2004 and 2006 our prospect pools were absolutely horrendous. Night and day from then until now. I love having a bright looking future, it makes losing so much more bearable.

hockeyfan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
So you're saying our bottom 20 would be among the top 20 in the NHL? I'd strongly disagree with that. Optimism is good and all, but I know that few people around here actually know a lot about our bottom 20 players, which is why it's amusing to hear people proclaim how great it is.
Well, that's not really what I said. I know making judgements without understanding is what most people do but it's not because people jump off the bridge that you have to follow them.

To understand what I said, you have to push the limits of your spirit! Let me try to explain.

Take 10 prospects in the top-20 and 10 more in the top-20, then do it again and you have 2 very decent prospect pools.

Our top-20 is way above the ordinary top-20 while our top-20/40 would be way below. Why not split them equally then? That makes "2 worthy NHL prospect pools", like I said.

You see now? Sorry, didn't think I needed to explain this in detail.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I don't think smiling is ridiculous when you have basically 2 worthy NHL prospect pools (top-20s). Do you realize this? Our chances to develop gems are twice better than usual

It's refreshing when your prospect pool has been more than ordinary for years (drafting/development = key in today's NHL)

Every Sens fan should be happy and hopeful in this thread. If not, he should ask himself if he's at the right place.
Maybe more, we'll be afforded the time to wait for a guy like Marcus Sorensen until he's 23. Right now, we're cheap with tons of upside, but enough certainty to ensure we're progressing with the rebuild.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Was Volchenkov pretty much the only Russian we drafted that became something?

Old
08-22-2011, 01:08 AM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Was Volchenkov pretty much the only Russian we drafted that became something?
Yashin

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
Yashin
oh yea, I guess ive tried to forget him.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

After the top 3, who do you think is one of the most important player to the team, that you hope can reach his potential?

I really would like to see Filatov do it, I think he can be a star. If he could become that player he was when he was drafted and bring that to the NHL that would help the team so much.

Old
08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

IMO with the exception of Filatov I think everyone of the top 10 guys will be decent pros & a few other guys who are further down the list. Filatov seems to be a boom or bust type player so obviously we hope he does well but I wouldn't bet anything for him or against him. Da Costa is another guy that could be boom or bust, we'll see if he can make the team out of training camp or if he ends up in Bingo how he does in a much rougher league.

I think Zibanejad has the potential to be a very good #2 centre putting up 60 to 70 pt seasons, he has the size & plays a style that will endear him to the NHL game. Noesen & Puempel will also be important as secondary scorers down the road but could impress enough to become 1st liners. Butler is further down the list yet he had a great yr in Bingo & got to play with Spezza last yr. If that continues this yr he could be a sleeper. Lots of potential & hope with our prospects & only time will tell.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 03:58 PM
EastCoastSensFan

talk about fast change i count 18 new players from last year.

Now i know we didnt have 40 rankings years past... in part part because we didnt have 40+ prospects but no matter how you debate it thats a lot of change for the better in my mind.

EastCoastSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
After the top 3, who do you think is one of the most important player to the team, that you hope can reach his potential?

I really would like to see Filatov do it, I think he can be a star. If he could become that player he was when he was drafted and bring that to the NHL that would help the team so much.
IMO, with his shot, two-way play and hands Silfverberg is going to be VERY successful playing beside Jason Spezza.

The most important to me though is Zibanejad. If he pans out as a top 10 2nd centre the Senators will be competing for the Cup in 4-6 years.

ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Ed Wood

Optimism is swell but I'd be shocked if a single player on that list ever makes a post season all star team. We've got some nice complimentary players but lack the elite prospects necessary to make me believe we will ever contend for the Stanley Cup.

Mark Stone will never skate well enough to be effective in the NHL. Noesen and Puempel are also considered below average skaters who will likely prove to be unworthy of their first round selections.

I don't mean to be such a bunmmer but I just don't see this team ever truly contending under current management. It's good to see the team finally in re-build mode but they will pay dearly for wating two years too long to get started.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Optimism is swell but I'd be shocked if a single player on that list ever makes a post season all star team. We've got some nice complimentary players but lack the elite prospects necessary to make me believe we will ever contend for the Stanley Cup.

Mark Stone will never skate well enough to be effective in the NHL. Noesen and Puempel are also considered below average skaters who will likely prove to be unworthy of their first round selections.

I don't mean to be such a bunmmer but I just don't see this team ever truly contending under current management. It's good to see the team finally in re-build mode but they will pay dearly for wating two years too long to get started.
This is absolutely true, there are no standouts, Rundblad being the one possible exception, as limited as that might be. What I see is a bunch of prospects that have NHL potential, not like in the past where we had a few with NHL potential, and the others would have trouble in the AHL.

If we are to get an All star calibre addition, he will be in next years draft.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

Adding Player Profiles to the Prospects

Special Thanks to petelevi for these!

Old
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Fantastic thread!!!

Also shows what a good job Murray's done getting prospects

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
starling

Quote:
Elite prospects as in Alexandre Daigle?

Detroit. When was the last time they had an elite prospect? Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Lidstrom were never considered as elite.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:06 PM
starling

Wait, wasn't Rundblad named prospect of the year?
How is that not elite?

Old
08-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:

Zibanejad and Filatov at 6th overall is not high enough for you?

haha, I'm saying this because I'm sure you look at where those prospects were drafted as your main argument for determing the potential of a prospect. For you, the only Elite players are the guys drafted top-3 like Toews, Kane, Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Hall and Tavares.

But what about all the other guys? What was the draft position of those guys?

Marty St-Louis
Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
Jarome Iginla
Teemu Selanne
Henrik Zetterberg
Brad Richards
Claude Giroux
Ryan Kesler
Loui Eriksson
Anze Kopitar
Patrick Sharp
Mike Ribeiro
Alex Tanguay
Daniel Briere
Lubomir Visnovsky
Jeff Carter

I could go on, but those are guys from the top-30 in scoring last year. And let's not forget about Daniel Alfredsson

So, you could be right of course, all Sens prospects could end up being disappointments, but what people are optimistic is the bumber of chances to develop gems. Almost never, a prospect drafted outside of the top-3 is considered like a future Elite NHL player. Things don't stay linear with time, the universe moves and things changes. Some hockey players rise, while some others fall.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Zibanejad and Filatov at 6th overall is not high enough for you?

haha, I'm saying this because I'm sure you look at where those prospects were drafted as your main argument for determing the potential of a prospect. For you, the only Elite players are the guys drafted top-3 like Toews, Kane, Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Hall and Tavares.

But what about all the other guys? What was the draft position of those guys?

Marty St-Louis
Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
Jarome Iginla
Teemu Selanne
Henrik Zetterberg
Brad Richards
Claude Giroux
Ryan Kesler
Loui Eriksson
Anze Kopitar
Patrick Sharp
Mike Ribeiro
Alex Tanguay
Daniel Briere
Lubomir Visnovsky
Jeff Carter

I could go on, but those are guys from the top-30 in scoring last year. And let's not forget about Daniel Alfredsson

So, you could be right of course, all Sens prospects could end up being disappointments, but what people are optimistic is the bumber of chances to develop gems. Almost never, a prospect drafted outside of the top-3 is considered like a future Elite NHL player. Things don't stay linear with time, the universe moves and things changes. Some hockey players rise, while some others fall.
you forgot Datsyuk,Kronwall, and Boyle, Weber and Chara

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Manny*

Quote:

I'm not sure this is true. He could stand to work on his acceleration but his north-south skating and overall speed is pretty good. It's definitely nothing that will hold him back, especially given the style of game he plays.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote