HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News Article: Road to Titletown?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
  #101
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Have you guys noticed how often Vokoun has been injured?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=296


Compared to Bryzgalov:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2252


Bryz has had some bumps and bruises here and there but it appears that Vokoun gets injured more often. Combine that with Vokoun's age and maybe that's a reason we went for Bryz.

Of course you could say that since Vokoun is older that he has played more games and therefore has more of a chance of getting injured. But regardless of that fact, Bryz is definitely the fresher goalie.
If so, then that's kind of dumb. The worst injury of his career (20 games) was a thumb injury. He's averaged 60 games a year down in Florida. The rest, similar to Bryz, were just bumps and bruises here and there.

Vokoun: 11 games the last 3 years.
Bryz: 8 games the last 3 years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:16 PM
  #102
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
its just the only scenario in which a stat encompasses everything to compare to goaltenders.

my point was no real statistic encompasses everything about a goalie, it only indicates things.

(this extreme is the only situation in which you could actually say this goalie is "better" with 100% confidence...albeit games played would have to equal infinity)
Luckily, we don't have just ONE stat that we try to make all-encompassing. There are a slew of stats, as Jester has pointed out.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
  #103
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Luckily, we don't have just ONE stat that we try to make all-encompassing. There are a slew of stats, as Jester has pointed out.
It's true, but even if you compile those statistics (via multiple regression) they are not all encompassing.

The example I gave is.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:52 PM
  #104
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If so, then that's kind of dumb. The worst injury of his career (20 games) was a thumb injury. He's averaged 60 games a year down in Florida. The rest, similar to Bryz, were just bumps and bruises here and there.

Vokoun: 11 games the last 3 years.
Bryz: 8 games the last 3 years.

Yea that's true. I have to wonder if these constant small injuries affect Vokoun? His stats indicate that they don't.

I ran the numbers on all of their pro games played and they look like this:


Bryz = 632 reg season, 55 playoffs, 662 total

Vokoun = 886 reg season, 30 playoffs, 916 total


Vokoun has played in 254 more professional games than Bryz or a little over 4 seasons if you play 60 games a season. Guess it would make sense that he's 4 years older than Bryz. Not sure if this would affect Vokoun's ability to stay as good as he is or decline. But I do think that it shows that Bryz is in his prime and can possibly get better. All my opinion of course.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:55 PM
  #105
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
It's true, but even if you compile those statistics (via multiple regression) they are not all encompassing.

The example I gave is.
So your extreme, fictional example that has no bearing on real-life analysis of sports is all encompassing(I disagree there, it's not). What's the point? Once again, what are you trying to prove here? It seems like your argument is eternally shifting.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:18 PM
  #106
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
It's true, but even if you compile those statistics (via multiple regression) they are not all encompassing.

The example I gave is.
The example you gave is a confusing turd pulled out of your a**.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Yea that's true. I have to wonder if these constant small injuries affect Vokoun? His stats indicate that they don't.

I ran the numbers on all of their pro games played and they look like this:


Bryz = 632 reg season, 55 playoffs, 662 total

Vokoun = 886 reg season, 30 playoffs, 916 total


Vokoun has played in 254 more professional games than Bryz or a little over 4 seasons if you play 60 games a season. Guess it would make sense that he's 4 years older than Bryz. Not sure if this would affect Vokoun's ability to stay as good as he is or decline. But I do think that it shows that Bryz is in his prime and can possibly get better. All my opinion of course.
I think age was a major factor, and the fact that they wanted to solve it long term. I also think PR played a big role and Bryz had all the pomp and circumstance following him heading into the offseason and they liked that... even if a more subtle move (2-3 years of Vokoun) may have been smarter management.

Flyers do like to make a splash.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
  #107
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
So your extreme, fictional example that has no bearing on real-life analysis of sports is all encompassing(I disagree there, it's not). What's the point? Once again, what are you trying to prove here? It seems like your argument is eternally shifting.
it is.

that statistics in the real world are not all-encompassing.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:44 PM
  #108
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
it is.

that statistics in the real world are not all-encompassing.
They are if you use enough of them and use them correctly, as well as in context.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
  #109
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,087
vCash: 500
knowledgeable hockey fans' would look at the stats before saying he has had one good year and they wont make the playoffs. Lets look at the stats for the 4 years Bryzgalov has been a #1 in Phoenix compared to other top goalies in that 4 year time. Shutouts per season: Bryzgalov-5.25, Thomas-5.5, Miller-4.5...Save % per season: Bryzgalov-.917, Miller-.917, Lundqvist-.918..Goals against av. per season: Bryzgalov-2.54, Miller-2.49..Often overlooked minutes player per season: Bryzgalov-3767, Luongo-3725, Rinne-3344, Thomas-3101..We don't get to see this guy play much, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve credit for his performance. I think everyone can agree the Coyotes aren't near the team that other top goalies play for and yet he competes in all those categories over the past 4 seasons.


BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:45 PM
  #110
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,991
vCash: 500
Nobody has said the Flyers could possibly miss the playoffs because of Bryz. They've said that because of a host of other factors.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.