HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Check This Out

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Check This Out

http://oilfans.com/article.php?id=POST-2003-04-06

And we wonder why Oilfans gets a bad name when an article is posted with name calling and spelling mistakes in it. It's a circus over there with the team being torn apart. I like it over here a lot better.

10-23-2003, 12:45 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
And you seem suprised by this?

Oilfans always has been, and will continue to be a haven for those incapable of a rational coherent thought.

I mean, I wonder how good a job Mr. Dennis "Huh... crap, I fell off the bandwagon again" King would do if his 3 month premature child was half-way across the world.

Just another gutless wannabe who can't hack it in the real world, and trying to be self-important.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:08 PM
SunshinesDad

I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
http://oilfans.com/article.php?id=POST-2003-04-06

And we wonder why Oilfans gets a bad name when an article is posted with name calling and spelling mistakes in it. It's a circus over there with the team being torn apart. I like it over here a lot better.
I find it bad enough when people from other teams boards make a post like this complaining or laughing at another teams board or some part of it. But for another Oilers board to do that is really mind boggling.

A lot of us on Oilfans read both Oilfans and HF and some of us even post on both. Personally, I haven't seen a whole lot on this board to make me come here more than oilfans, but that's just me.

Many of us on oilfans don't like how Dennis (a.k.a. Matts) gets his point across with a lot of his name calling and stuff but at the same time he has a right to his opinion and beliefs and a lot of them are right.

If you have nothing better to do then rag on fellow Oiler fans and their message boards then buddy, you need to find more to do with your life.

Just one Oilfans opinion.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:12 PM
SunshinesDad

Don't think So

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And you seem suprised by this?

Oilfans always has been, and will continue to be a haven for those incapable of a rational coherent thought.

Uhhh, nope. There are many people on Oilfans that are very coherent and have a lot of good things to say and to bring to the table.

For what it's worth, I view Dennis (a.k.a Matts) as the devils advocate of the board. He tends to get a lot of people talking about important issues about the Oilers and quite often creates some very well discussed threads/topics.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
I find it bad enough when people from other teams boards make a post like this complaining or laughing at another teams board or some part of it. But for another Oilers board to do that is really mind boggling.

A lot of us on Oilfans read both Oilfans and HF and some of us even post on both. Personally, I haven't seen a whole lot on this board to make me come here more than oilfans, but that's just me.

Many of us on oilfans don't like how Dennis (a.k.a. Matts) gets his point across with a lot of his name calling and stuff but at the same time he has a right to his opinion and beliefs and a lot of them are right.

If you have nothing better to do then rag on fellow Oiler fans and their message boards then buddy, you need to find more to do with your life.

Just one Oilfans opinion.
Well just in comparing journalistic integrity between Mr. King(Writer in question) and Mr. Flaming(HF Oiler writer), that in itself should drive you over to HF.

I don't have any beef with Oilfans, and have never heard of Dennis King before today, and that was one of the poorest written pieces about hockey I have read in a long time.

Mr. King apparently is trying to be controversial in his delivery which you can do without be rude, ignorant or insulting. His opinions, while possibly valid are in no way intelligently put across which gives him the demenour of a third class hack.

You may like Oilfans so you are defending the site and the writer which is admirable, and if someone tore into HF, some of us would probably bite back.

But we are even critical of our own stuff.(Even Guy F gets some grief over his articles.) I don't think that the person posting the article here was taking a personal vendetta against Oilfans, just the fact that the article was a piece of trash, and should be discussed as such. Dennis could be a great guy, and the people at Oilfans good folks, but that piece was puce.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:38 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
But we are even critical of our own stuff.(Even Guy F gets some grief over his articles.) I don't think that the person posting the article here was taking a personal vendetta against Oilfans, just the fact that the article was a piece of trash, and should be discussed as such. Dennis could be a great guy, and the people at Oilfans good folks, but that piece was puce.
i don't know what the thread author was thinking but i know that what i read of that article transcended the expression "ignorant drivel" and emerged as an entirely knew pinnacle upon which all wannabe-important hack journalists can measure themselves. i guess I shouldn’t be surprised – I mean the author would obviously have a hard enough time spelling integrity never mind living up to the concept.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:39 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I have been reading and posting a bit at Oilfans for probably about a year now, and I've never really liked it. But now I'm starting to wonder why I even bothered. Yeah, it's negative. That's fine. But I've never actually seen "Matts" contribute anything other than "Salo sucks." That's all he says, and he says it all the time. Game after game he rags on Salo. And whether Salo deserves it or not (I say not), it gets very old very soon. That's his sole contribution. And there are others on there that aren't a whole lot different. It's not the negativity that bothers me.

I guess that the hockey knowledge on HF is just so much higher, you can really tell it's generally missing on Oilfans. I also don't have to read the same old garbage over and over on HF. This is hands down the best place to discuss (Oilers) hockey. It's not even close.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:47 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
i don't know what the thread author was thinking but i know that what i read of that article transcended the expression "ignorant drivel" and emerged as an entirely knew pinnacle upon which all wannabe-important hack journalists can measure themselves. i guess I shouldn’t be surprised – I mean the author would obviously have a hard enough time spelling integrity never mind living up to the concept.

Nice...

Old
10-23-2003, 01:51 PM
SunshinesDad

Actually

Quote:
Well just in comparing journalistic integrity between Mr. King(Writer in question) and Mr. Flaming(HF Oiler writer), that in itself should drive you over to HF.

I don't have any beef with Oilfans, and have never heard of Dennis King before today, and that was one of the poorest written pieces about hockey I have read in a long time.

Mr. King apparently is trying to be controversial in his delivery which you can do without be rude, ignorant or insulting. His opinions, while possibly valid are in no way intelligently put across which gives him the demenour of a third class hack.
Actually, I have taken exception to his personal attacks and rude comments for a while but with the exception of maybe a few people that is not the norm over there. I do believe that with a lot of his comments, not actually the article in question he has valid points to bring up but when it comes to Salo he has a personal need to rip into him both personally and professionally.

Quote:
You may like Oilfans so you are defending the site and the writer which is admirable, and if someone tore into HF, some of us would probably bite back.

There were just a couple of things that I read as meaning that the whole site was bad and that all the people who post there are too. Like when dawgbone said, "Oilfans always has been, and will continue to be a haven for those incapable of a rational coherent thought."

Now, I didn't like this article by Dennis mainly because of the personal attacks and name calling but this comment made it sound like all Oilfans posters were "incapable of a rational coherent thought" and that is very far from the truth.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Actually, I have taken exception to his personal attacks and rude comments for a while but with the exception of maybe a few people that is not the norm over there. I do believe that with a lot of his comments, not actually the article in question he has valid points to bring up but when it comes to Salo he has a personal need to rip into him both personally and professionally.

There were just a couple of things that I read as meaning that the whole site was bad and that all the people who post there are too. Like when dawgbone said, "Oilfans always has been, and will continue to be a haven for those incapable of a rational coherent thought."

Now, I didn't like this article by Dennis mainly because of the personal attacks and name calling but this comment made it sound like all Oilfans posters were "incapable of a rational coherent thought" and that is very far from the truth.
Well in most scenerios SD, you have to judge a site by the average poster and not the high end ones that get lost in the drivel.

I haven't posted there(At Oilfans) much...only a couple of times, because the level of the average poster seems alot higher here.

And I think that dawgbone has made an erroneous statement because you can't blanket an entire group of posters for a bad few, even a bad many(Or HF would have the reputation of having the stupidest Habfans on the planet based on a couple of dum dums.)

I am sure like yourself there are some great posters at Oilfans, but there seems to be a better place for discussion here.

(And you are welcome to come by and join the fray...always could use another good poster.)

Old
10-23-2003, 02:02 PM
dawgbone

Quote:

I was referring to the articles that are routinely posted there. I personally hate how the message board is set up, so I never read that.

I can honestly say that less than 1 in 10 articles I have ever read there have been anything remotely close to decent.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Mr Sakich

there are 4 or 5 guys (including Sunshinesdad) who are excellent posters with lots of good ideas. The problem is that they get drowned out in that sea of negativity. Just about every thread turns negative and it must be difficult to be an oiler apologist just to keep a semblance of balance.

If I was 14, I would be there.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:24 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
That article is simply a case of a nothing writer trying to get half noticed because he's so out ignorant and unknowledgable that he couldn't do it with anything credible. I mean this guy makes Brownlee and Jonesey look drasticly conservative. Anybody who takes this :clown: serious is in turn a :clown:

Old
10-23-2003, 03:59 PM
momentai

This thread topic just reeks of pettiness. Why should it matter if Matts bags on Salo? It's not anything new. It's just how things are. Using that article as a focal point for bashing another message board is just... well, petty. I don't see the point of this thread at all.

Does it really matter which board you frequent? We're all Oiler fans after all. Shouldn't we be focusing all this energy toward hating the Canucks, Stars, or Flames?

Old
10-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
This thread topic just reeks of pettiness. Why should it matter if Matts bags on Salo? It's not anything new. It's just how things are. Using that article as a focal point for bashing another message board is just... well, petty. I don't see the point of this thread at all.

Does it really matter which board you frequent? We're all Oiler fans after all. Shouldn't we be focusing all this energy toward hating the Canucks, Stars, or Flames?
Totally agree.

Don't we have better things to do with ourselves than get all pissy about how another Oiler board conducts itself?

If a poster doesn't like what transpires on another board, there's a simple solution...DON'T GO THERE.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai

Damn you momentai, now you got a song stuck in my head :p

"Why can't we be friends, Why can't we be friends, Why can't we be friends..."

Closed Thread