HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Search for the Elusive Goal Scorer (The Armchair GM thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
  #76
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I love the play style of Marchand, Lucic, etc. players that are big and physical and know how to score.... I dont know much about Bourque but i like what I hear. Excited to see so many youngsters this year, hurry up OCTOBER!
Yea im ready to see Bourque and all the other youngins and see who can make the team.

ill be back for thanksgiving break so we'll have to catch a game or two boog, im gunna look at the schedule real quick

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
  #77
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I love the play style of Marchand, Lucic, etc. players that are big and physical and know how to score.... I dont know much about Bourque but i like what I hear. Excited to see so many youngsters this year, hurry up OCTOBER!
Marchand is 5'9", 190 lbs. Bourque is 5'9", 183 lbs. Both are quick, both are skilled, both play the game with a lot of grit. The one difference is that Bourque doesn't necessarily initiate the big hits that Marchand does, but he's plenty physical for his size...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
  #78
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Marchand is 5'9", 190 lbs. Bourque is 5'9", 183 lbs. Both are quick, both are skilled, both play the game with a lot of grit. The one difference is that Bourque doesn't necessarily initiate the big hits that Marchand does, but he's plenty physical for his size...
Marchand isnt BIG by any means, but hes built like a bull. Like Tootoo is. Thats what I love about him. Thats good hearing, not many players are as physical as Marchand at that size. But its a very good thing to know that he has no problem being and physical and doesnt avoid the physicality part of the game to much. Something that we could use from more of our players

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
  #79
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Yea im ready to see Bourque and all the other youngins and see who can make the team.

ill be back for thanksgiving break so we'll have to catch a game or two boog, im gunna look at the schedule real quick
Yes you better be here for that. For sure, we gotta go to some games man. It is much needed

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:13 PM
  #80
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Rumblings that Brad Marcand could be traded, I would love to have him on our team. Id take him before Little, Bailey, Pominville, Boyes
No just no. Pominville and Little are exactly what this team needs! Marchand would be a great addition no doubt but not before Little or Pominville

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
  #81
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
No just no. Pominville and Little are exactly what this team needs! Marchand would be a great addition no doubt but not before Little or Pominville
Agree to disagree

Marchand is a beast and his play style would fit perfect here. And hes only 23. He was arguably the Bruins best player in the playoffs. He was a monster.

Pominville in my eyes is the only one who puts up an argument. Easily take Marchand before Little

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
  #82
PredsChik
Registered User
 
PredsChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smyrna, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
No just no. Pominville and Little are exactly what this team needs! Marchand would be a great addition no doubt but not before Little or Pominville
For what Pominville makes a year, I'd rather we try for Ryan Malone, not that Tampa is going to be looking to ship him off since his front loaded contract is now dipping off but for $5.5mil. eek!

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:23 PM
  #83
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Yes you better be here for that. For sure, we gotta go to some games man. It is much needed
im sure the penalty box don will be glad to see us again lol. but yea my last home game was vs ottawa 12/23/10
Im fiending for some hockey.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
  #84
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Joel Ward was a monster in the playoffs too though. We should definitely be interested, but it really depends on how much money he's looking for, and what the asking price is. Marchand has gotten a little overrated because of a few playoff games. He is not the "final piece" we are looking for in my opinion.

If I had to bet though, I think Boston finds a way to keep him. This is way different than the Kessel situation.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:28 PM
  #85
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Agree to disagree

Marchand is a beast and his play style would fit perfect here. And hes only 23. He was arguably the Bruins best player in the playoffs. He was a monster.

Pominville in my eyes is the only one who puts up an argument. Easily take Marchand before Little
Little is also 23. So that is a wash at best. Marchand is a great player . Love his game, but little had more points on a team with less talent and has done more than Marchand has. Little also has great vision and can play special teams and serve as a Paul karyia for legwand. Marchand is not that.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:28 PM
  #86
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Joel Ward was a monster in the playoffs too though. We should definitely be interested, but it really depends on how much money he's looking for, and what the asking price is. Marchand has gotten a little overrated because of a few playoff games. He is not the "final piece" we are looking for in my opinion.

If I had to bet though, I think Boston finds a way to keep him. This is way different than the Kessel situation.
I also dont think that Pominville, Little, Boyes, etc are the answer either. Does not mean I think Marchand is. I brought it up because its rumored he could be available and I think he is a better choice than the players we all have recently mentioned.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
  #87
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
im sure the penalty box don will be glad to see us again lol. but yea my last home game was vs ottawa 12/23/10
Im fiending for some hockey.
god you know he does, so clutch if carl still has those ticks. Dude thats been to damn long, its been since game 6 vs ANA for me.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:30 PM
  #88
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
For what Pominville makes a year, I'd rather we try for Ryan Malone, not that Tampa is going to be looking to ship him off since his front loaded contract is now dipping off but for $5.5mil. eek!
Malone would be a nice fit but not for his cost. If Tampa dips during the season, I could see Malone traded. I would take him if it was midway through the year.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:48 PM
  #89
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I also dont think that Pominville, Little, Boyes, etc are the answer either. Does not mean I think Marchand is. I brought it up because its rumored he could be available and I think he is a better choice than the players we all have recently mentioned.
Fair enough, I think Little or Poms is pretty darn close to the elusive final piece, but I would agree with you on Boyes or Bailey.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
  #90
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Fair enough, I think Little or Poms is pretty darn close to the elusive final piece, but I would agree with you on Boyes or Bailey.
I agree, they are awfully close to the final piece. Maybe Poile throws a curve ball and makes a trade with a team that gets us 2 forwards.

Ryan Ellis + Colin Wilson + SK/Erat? (if he waved)

Brad Marchand + Patrice Bergeron

Too much/little on our side? Its all hypothetical

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
  #91
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I agree, they are awfully close to the final piece. Maybe Poile throws a curve ball and makes a trade with a team that gets us 2 forwards.

Ryan Ellis + Colin Wilson + SK/Erat? (if he waved)

Brad Marchand + Patrice Bergeron

Too much/little on our side? Its all hypothetical
I'd really hate to trade two of our top young players and a key roster forward for a Marchand and a guy with concussion issues...

No deal from my perspective. That wouldn't be the right move...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:07 PM
  #92
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'd really hate to trade two of our top young players and a key roster forward for a Marchand and a guy with concussion issues...

No deal from my perspective. That wouldn't be the right move...
Im not saying that would be the right move. Just the thought of getting 2 forwards that can score and play the game how Nashville plays it. Im sure there is better options.

I more so want to hear what people think of a deal that involves us getting 2 good forwards in return. What teams could be partners? Who would it involve? Who we give up?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:13 PM
  #93
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,811
vCash: 500
Glad to see this thread is going strong without much arguing. I know it's tough not to get frustrated at the tail end of August. We can see the light. Training camp is only a few weeks away. Then pre-season. Then the season starts. Soon enough we get to see what our boys can do.

Marchand would be a nice addition, but I'm not sure he fixes our PP struggles. He would provide an extra forward to make our third scoring line even stronger. Even if he played top six minutes we could move someone down a line, and all of the sudden our system of rolling four lines becomes that much more dangerous. It's the PP that I think we need to focus on, but I am hoping Bergfors is able to provide a little spark in that department. I don't see Trotz playing Bergfors much 5-on-5, but with his nose for the net and not much else I think he could be the forward version of Franson. Protected minutes. Loads of PP time.

I know I've been saying for a day or two now that I'm going to provide some more info on guys within our price range who could be targeted in a trade, and I still plan on doing so (i.e. salary and stats on some of the guys I haven't covered yet, adding NTC/NMC info to the guys who have them, and then providing my two cents on the likelihood of a trade). Things are just getting a bit busier now that the fall semester is staring me right in the eye. I'll get to it, though. I promise.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:42 PM
  #94
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
We need to target top end talent, not mid tier guys. While the Little's and Marchand's have their value, we need top 3 talent, not top 6. We need to look at guys like Parise or Ryan. Reason being both are still young players and it's not as big of a deal to trade away some of the young talent for them. We could package Wilson, a top end blue liner and some other pieces, probably a top end prospect and a 1st rounder to get it done. I would be more than happy to trade Wilson and some others but we don't need to trade a guy like Erat as you're filling one hole and making another hole in the roster.

The other option is to move Suter or Weber for a proven top 3 forward and run with it. It would be tough to swallow but that way you're only giving up one defenseman, getting a proven scoring forward in return and keeping our youth in the process without mortgaging the future.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:08 PM
  #95
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,811
vCash: 500
As we covered on the first page, top end talent is very rare in this league. It's going to take the perfect storm to acquire, and even then you are looking at giving up an equally rare piece in order to obtain it (Weber, Suter, maybe Blum eventually) OR go after an aging elite forward on a team in need of a rebuild (Iginla, Alfredsson, Spezza).For the first option you need a team who has a surplus of this kind of player and is in need of an elite defenseman (i.e. Anaheim, though their top pairing isn't exactly that bad). I agree that bringing in a 30+ goal scorer is the best thing we could do, as it would almost guarantee that our power play would improve. What I don't agree on is waiting around until that happens. SLake touched on it earlier, and I agree. Another 50pt guy can give us some pretty good depth on our three scoring lines which makes our score-by-committee plan even more solid. The other bonus is we don't have to give up too much in assets or money to get that player.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:41 PM
  #96
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
As we covered on the first page, top end talent is very rare in this league. It's going to take the perfect storm to acquire, and even then you are looking at giving up an equally rare piece in order to obtain it (Weber, Suter, maybe Blum eventually) OR go after an aging elite forward on a team in need of a rebuild (Iginla, Alfredsson, Spezza).For the first option you need a team who has a surplus of this kind of player and is in need of an elite defenseman (i.e. Anaheim, though their top pairing isn't exactly that bad). I agree that bringing in a 30+ goal scorer is the best thing we could do, as it would almost guarantee that our power play would improve. What I don't agree on is waiting around until that happens. SLake touched on it earlier, and I agree. Another 50pt guy can give us some pretty good depth on our three scoring lines which makes our score-by-committee plan even more solid. The other bonus is we don't have to give up too much in assets or money to get that player.
Three things.

1. I have no problem giving up Weber or Suter as we have a pipeline of great blue line talent and we need a top 3 forward. If that's what has to happen, so be it.

2. Adding an aging veteran is fine as long as we don't give up the farm. I don't want to see us give up an Iginla talent before he's even Iginla to land Niewendyk. If you've followed hockey long enough you'll know what I'm talking about.

3. Where are we going to land a 50 point player and while you say we won't give up a lot to get that person, we're still going to give up a top prospect plus a high pick, probably first or second round to get that player. While it doesn't seem like a lot, our top end prospects are more valuable to us as well as our picks.

I think what Poile did last year with SK and what he did with Bergfors this year are great moves. They're young talent that needs a stable environment to succeed. With the plethora of forwards we have on the bottom six, I can't imagine that we won't be able to find lightning in a bottle between; Spaling, Halischuk, Geoffrion, Tootoo, Bergfors, Wilson and O'Reilly. Team that up with Beck, Latta, Smith and Bourque in the minors and I think we'll be just fine. We also have SK coming into camp healthy and knowing what to expect. Hornqvist should bounce back some this year. Legwand and Erat we know what we're getting with them. Fisher will be healthy as well.

I think a move is going to be made at some point. Not sure when it's going to be but my guess is we're either showcasing some of our younger talent to other teams or we're waiting for a team to contact us that wants some of our young talent because of a rebuild. A few guys that would be great adds, like you suggested earlier IMO are Iginla, Doan and Morrow, as long as we don't give up the farm. All three fit our system. All three bring grit and leadership to the team. All three would be getting out of losing situations. It just depends on how much we want to give up in return.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM
  #97
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Iginla and Iginla and Iginla and Iginla and Iginla and Iginla.....

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
  #98
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We need to target top end talent, not mid tier guys. While the Little's and Marchand's have their value, we need top 3 talent, not top 6. We need to look at guys like Parise or Ryan. Reason being both are still young players and it's not as big of a deal to trade away some of the young talent for them. We could package Wilson, a top end blue liner and some other pieces, probably a top end prospect and a 1st rounder to get it done. I would be more than happy to trade Wilson and some others but we don't need to trade a guy like Erat as you're filling one hole and making another hole in the roster.

The other option is to move Suter or Weber for a proven top 3 forward and run with it. It would be tough to swallow but that way you're only giving up one defenseman, getting a proven scoring forward in return and keeping our youth in the process without mortgaging the future.
I agree to a point I think still our best best is to stay with the big 3 and trade for a Parise and a Ryan that is the only way I would give up a Wilson or a Ellis. If we put a package worthy of a trade. Of course we are going to have to overpay to get either. I'm afraid if we don't and still try to dink around with second tier players then we'll watch Suter and Weber waving goodbye when the time comes

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:13 PM
  #99
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Iginla and Iginla and Iginla and Iginla and Iginla and Iginla.....
Keep dreamin...

As for the Marchand rumor, does that actually hold any weight or was it heard second hand? I don't know why the Bruins would deal him. I love his game though, such a little bulldog. Finesse, grit, speed, and dynamic. If I was Boston it would take Ellis for it to happen.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  #100
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Keep dreamin...

As for the Marchand rumor, does that actually hold any weight or was it heard second hand? I don't know why the Bruins would deal him. I love his game though, such a little bulldog. Finesse, grit, speed, and dynamic. If I was Boston it would take Ellis for it to happen.
Supposedly Boston's GM takes August off every offseason, and has said he was his number one priority.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=974785

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.