HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jets Pursuing Kyle Wellwood

Old
08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Jets Pursuing Kyle Wellwood

per Andy Strickland

Quote:
[Wellwood]’s had some feelers with the Columbus Blue Jackets showing some interest a few weeks back to go along with Winnipeg who remains interested in signing the 28 year-old. Word is Columbus has since moved on.

Sources close to Wellwood tell me he’s holding out on the Jets as he still has his sights set on a return to San Jose. The Sharks have hinted they’ll invite Wellwood to attend training camp but without a signed contract. The Sharks have 49 players under contract, one under the maximum allowed by the NHL.
I was surprised the Sharks didn't re-sign Wellwood at the end of last season, considering he played quite well for them.

Also, a moderating note, if all you have are "OMG Kyle Wellwood is fat!!" jokes, please keep them to yourself, if I have to delete any, I might get cranky from the heat and start throwing out infractions. You've been warned.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/W...-Interested-01

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

No thanks.
Personally not interested in him.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So two teams are interested in giving him a one way deal? A real sweepstakes.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

he was great on sharks third line with Pavelski and Eager last year, im really suprised noone has signed him yet

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
he was great on sharks third line with Pavelski and Eager last year, im really suprised noone has signed him yet
Mitchell

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I do hope the Sharks re-sign him, provided that he is in great shape and has kept up the hard work this offseason. Therefore, an invitation to training camp without a contract was the best move for the Sharks. Hopefully Wellwood doesn't have his socks knocked off with a desperate Jets offer, but we'll see.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Sources close to Wellwood tell me he’s holding out on the Jets as he still has his sights set on a return to San Jose. The Sharks have hinted they’ll invite Wellwood to attend training camp but without a signed contract. The Sharks have 49 players under contract, one under the maximum allowed by the NHL.
Aww. How cute!

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Mitchell
thats the 1 i was looking for

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:00 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

wonder if he lost the pounds to make it in SJ

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I do not think Wellwood would be a good fit in Winnipeg.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Jets need a bit more depth offensively in my mind.

Couturier would have been a steal but well see how the other one pans out.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
IMO the Jets are better off going after someone like Stillman or Samsonov. If they need offense I think both of those guys have more to offer than Wellwood.

Wellwood played some of the best hockey of his career in San Jose and he'd come cheap so if he looks good I'd get him re-signed if I were the Sharks. That Mitchell - Pavelski - Wellwood line had chemistry. Of course that would have Pavelski on the 3rd line, Couture on the 2nd, and a hole at RW on Thornton's line. I think the Sharks should re-sign him regardless; he could end up working well with Handzus as his center too. At worst he could be a 4th liner in San Jose this year.

They could end up going with:

Marleau - Thornton - Couture
Clowe - Pavelski - Havlat
Mitchell - Handzus - Wellwood
McGinn - Murray - Desjardins

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:23 PM
CerebralGenesis

If he wants the sharks, they will probably get him cheap since they can say, " ok fine but it'll have to be for this"

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:23 PM
gonegonegone*

honestly surprised that some team hasn't taken a flyer on this guy. he's not a top notch bottom liner by any means, but at least for the sharks, he's better than say mcginn. for probably less than 1 mil, he could be useful for a lot of teams as depth.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Wippersnapper

I've loved Wellwood since his time in Vancouver. The guy was a man possessed. His signing would instantly solidify my custom jersey decision.

Wippersnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

He has the insulation for the Winnipeg weather.

Honestly I liked him when he was with Vancouver. Good set of hands but I would like to see it consistently. He really picked up his play in his own end by the end of his time here. I still remember him almost scoring a goal against Edmonton where he deked out every Oiler but time expired before it could go in.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Strickland makes a good point about San Jose having only one contract slot left of their 50 inventory. They need to hang on to that in case a trade for a better forward can be worked out involving one of their existing top six d-men, and then sign a replacement UFA d-man, possibly Chris Campoli, who would take up that 50th contract spot.

08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Strickland makes a good point about San Jose having only one contract slot left of their 50 inventory. They need to hang on to that in case a trade for a better forward can be worked out involving one of their existing top six d-men, and then sign a replacement UFA d-man, possibly Chris Campoli, who would take up that 50th contract spot.
We can trade one of our many worthless AHLers to solve that problem. Moore, Marcou, etc. I don't see Chris Campoli coming to San Jose.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
TrueGrit

I didn't know you had to pursue Kyle Wellwood, must be a new training program.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
stevecanuck16

Lost in all the fat jokes, Kyle Wellwood had a dynamite play-offs for the Canucks the year before last. Definitely saw flashes of the player many thought he would become.

The weight and attitude issues have been overblown, in my opinion. Mostly, he's just another example of a highly skilled offensive player whose questionable size and speed have held back his transition to an NHL game.

Looking at Winnipeg, their top-6 is hardly set in stone. Wheeler, Antropov, and Fehr are all fairly inconsistent player, and Wellwood outplaying any of them is feasible. Perhaps Wellwood could split center duties while Wheeler or Fehr slid down to the third line?

As for Columbus, they'd probably be looking for him in a third line role. I'm honestly not sure why San Jose is so resistant to sign him. Seems like their bottom-6 is a little thin*.

*EDIT: I know everyone always says "No pun intended" when they totally intended a pun, but in this case I really didn't mean that. Funny, in retrospect, so I'm leaving it.

Last edited by stevecanuck16: 08-26-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Pun clarification
stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:13 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We can trade one of our many worthless AHLers to solve that problem. Moore, Marcou, etc. I don't see Chris Campoli coming to San Jose.
No to Campoli is fine. But about trading an AHL contract -- if they're worthless, that's a contract dump -- which isn't always free of charge. And thus, why create that complication if Wilson can avoid it.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:13 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Lost in all the fat jokes, Kyle Wellwood had a dynamite play-offs for the Canucks the year before last. Definitely saw flashes of the player many thought he would become.

The weight and attitude issues have been overblown, in my opinion. Mostly, he's just another example of a highly skilled offensive player whose questionable size and speed have held back his transition to an NHL game.

Looking at Winnipeg, their top-6 is hardly set in stone. Wheeler, Antropov, and Fehr are all fairly inconsistent player, and Wellwood outplaying any of them is feasible. Perhaps Wellwood could split center duties while Wheeler or Fehr slid down to the third line?

As for Columbus, they'd probably be looking for him in a third line role. I'm honestly not sure why San Jose is so resistant to sign him. Seems like their bottom-6 is a little thin*.

*EDIT: I know everyone always says "No pun intended" when they totally intended a pun, but in this case I really didn't mean that. Funny, in retrospect, so I'm leaving it.
Few reasons:

1) They have a few guys they want to give the opportunity to win the spot. James Sheppard for one (depending on health) and more likely Cam MacIntyre. Also Ferriero might have a decent shot. Whether DW plans to actually use any of these guys, he wants to give them the motivation to try.

2) He wants someone better than Wellwood long term. Wellwood would be a stop gap. He's not a goal scorer, he's a playmaker, and that line needs a scoring threat. It also already has one midget (Mitchell) and they are likely looking to keep that line non-midget.

3) We only have one contract spot as noted, so DW may want to keep it open incase a player he wants more becomes available.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Andy Strickland

I was surprised the Sharks didn't re-sign Wellwood at the end of last season, considering he played quite well for them.

Also, a moderating note, if all you have are "OMG Kyle Wellwood is fat!!" jokes, please keep them to yourself, if I have to delete any, I might get cranky from the heat and start throwing out infractions. You've been warned.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/W...-Interested-01
hot pursuit

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:27 PM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Few reasons:

1) They have a few guys they want to give the opportunity to win the spot. James Sheppard for one (depending on health) and more likely Cam MacIntyre. Also Ferriero might have a decent shot. Whether DW plans to actually use any of these guys, he wants to give them the motivation to try.

2) He wants someone better than Wellwood long term. Wellwood would be a stop gap. He's not a goal scorer, he's a playmaker, and that line needs a scoring threat. It also already has one midget (Mitchell) and they are likely looking to keep that line non-midget.

3) We only have one contract spot as noted, so DW may want to keep it open incase a player he wants more becomes available.
Fair enough. Honestly, option 3 is all I needed to hear. I wouldn't spend my last contract slot on Wellwood, either.

I still stand by my statement that he'd be excellent depth for Winnipeg. Probably end up being a fairly popular player.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

I'm still hoping that Wellwood re-signs in SJ for the cheap.

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote