HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Northern Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

Should Denmark consider a KHL franchise?

Old
07-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Blacksheep71

vCash: 500
Should Denmark consider a KHL franchise?

At the 2010, 13 of the Belarus National Team roster played for Dinamo Minsk, whilst 16 of the Latvia roster were with Dinamo Riga.

If the MultiArena proposed for Copenhagen was built could it become a home for a semi-national team made up of our non-NHL players playing as a KHL franchise?

Increasingly we have some top players being drafted but to develop they have to leace Danish shores. The domestic league is pretty low key so limits the development of a supporting cast to play alongside the likes of :

Mikkel Boedker, Lars Eller, Frans Nielsen, Peter Regin, Jannick Hansen, Nicklas Jensen, Frederick Andersen, Philip Larsen and Oliver Lauridsen.

If a Copenhagen franchise was established to play in the KHL as teams from Latvia, Slovakia, Belarus, and in 2012-13 Italy are, would the standard of our own national team increase allowing us to qualify for 2014 and 2018 and supporting our application to host the IIHF World Championship in 2017.

A roster could comprise:

F: Morten Madsen, Kasper Degn, Kim Staal, Thor Dresler, Nicholas Hardt, Svend Svendsen, Patrick Russell, Alex Sundberg, Kim Lykkeskov, Julian Jacobsen, Thomas Spelling, Kirill Starkov, Nicolai Meyer

D: Mads Boedker, Simon Gonvaldt, Jesper Jensen, Daniel Nielsen, Stafan Lassen, Jesper Damgaard, Jannick Christiansen, Markus Lauridsen

G: Sebastian Dahm, Peter Hirsch, Patrick Galbraith.

and a raft of other young players.

Places on the roster could be held for the star performers in the AL-Liga encouraging young players to come through to improve the standard of the AL Liga as almost a farm league.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blacksheep71: 07-02-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2011, 02:24 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Should do. Leave the domestic league in place, use as a farm system. The KHL team could be like an all star team made up of all the best players, and could promote/demote any player to/from any team in the domestic league. Could give the national team program a good push. Problem is there will need to be a team with a lot of sponsorship +money +big arena(or plans for new one). Its worth a try.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Could it be possible for a Danish team to participate in Elitserien? IMO that would be better suited for Danish hockey.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Blacksheep71

Well the Parken (38,000) is part of the bid for the World Championship bid in 2017, so short term it could be used as they have plans for a 15,000 arena for this competition in much the same way as the San Antonio Spurs played in reduced capacity AlamoDome in the NBA

Long term it would provide an impetus for the HC Andersen/Multi Arena (15,000) to be built with 28 home games per season.

The KHL would be the target as they are looking to internationalise their league rather than the Swedish league.

I think there ought to be sufficient sponsors like Tele Danmark, Danske Bank, Carlsberg to bank roll a team if the city build the arena.

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Bank

I'm thinking nah... Couple of reasons. Bear with me despite the harsh tone

1) Funny cast of players you've selected? Some are better off where they are.(Boedker, Madsen, Jakobsen). Some are clearly to old(Staal - Just signed his last contract with his birthclub, Hirsch, Damgaard). One is quiting pro hockey(Sundberg). Some shouldn't be playing a mens league, let alone KHL(Russell, Sebastian Svendsen, Markus Lauridsen, Nicolai Meyer, Simon Gronvaldt). All of these would be better off in a junior league developing skill set along side strengh.

Then there's the players who would be laughed at in the KHL... What on earth would Thor Dresler and Kim Lykkeskov be doing in a league like that?

Most of the players mentioned are heading towards Sweden or Germany, so we are doing just fine without a KHL-team to help development.

From the players point of view: Nah

2) As a molding team for the national team perhaps? No. We have a lot of gatherings with Euros only. The young players get their chance during the year. Also the unity around the national team is notorious. Hell it's been the only reason we've survived for years.

Rather the players develop at the right level and close to home.

Further more a "Team Denmark" would completly destroy the suffering Danish League. And with it goes all the next generation of prospects.

From the National teams point of view: Nah

3) But are there money to be made? Yeah... Probably. But then again: Think of the travelling expences. No fans from the away-team.

From a economical point of view: Small yeah/Meh

To sum up: No thank you

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:23 PM
VladNYC*

I think it would be a great idea. Riga and Minsk joining the KHL has done big things for hockey there. Those teams are amongst the most popular in the KHL. Riga for example holds the record for highest fans in attendance in the khl. Don't underestimate the factor of local fans getting behind their home town boys to beat the big bad Russians. A Danish team playing against the powerful teams of the KHL. You don't think that will make a buzz in Denmark?

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:26 AM
slovakiasnextone

Donīt like this idea at all. Denmark is using its proximity to Sweden and Germany etc. very well. Thereīs absolutely no need for a KHL team there, just look at the international results, itīs not like Latvia or Belarus are doing any better than Denmark on international level lately. If anything then the KHL is actually hurting these countries with one KHL team as having most of the best players together takes away ice-time they could have gotten elsewhere even though in inferior leagues. Denmark has in the recent years developed the most high end players when it comes to these small hockey nations despite having little to no ice-hockey history compared to former USSR countries like Latvia or Denmark. How would having players getting top ice-time elsewhere playing on one team and lessening the ice-time for most of them improve the Danish national team is beyond me. Better league doesnīt always mean itīs the better option for a country to join in.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Denmark should be less concerned with the domestic league for now and placing more emphasis on youth development so that they can maintain and surpass their successes at the 2010 WC and improve the quality of the domestic league organically. I'm not convinced that a KHL club would bring that emphasis with it, especially if it's run like Dinamo Minsk.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Bank

Russia is to far away. We don't have any beef with you guys The Swedes and ESPECIALLY the Norwegian on the other hand...

If Danish hockey are to get a lift through international matching I would rather a cup with Norwegian and Swedish teams. Perhaps German, British and Russian to. Like the Champions League-thing. A turnament people can understand and relate cause it resembles football.

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
Russia is to far away. We don't have any beef with you guys The Swedes and ESPECIALLY the Norwegian on the other hand...

If Danish hockey are to get a lift through international matching I would rather a cup with Norwegian and Swedish teams. Perhaps German, British and Russian to. Like the Champions League-thing. A turnament people can understand and relate cause it resembles football.
This.

Teams from Sweden and Finland would dominate, but hey, meeting better teams makes the rest of us better

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:30 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
It seems like the KHL will control hockey in the FSU and other eastern bloc states (we will see what happens in Milan) but what about a Scandinavian league?

A league of Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden I think could benefit the popularity of the sport and financial backing of these clubs long term.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
It seems like the KHL will control hockey in the FSU and other eastern bloc states (we will see what happens in Milan) but what about a Scandinavian league?

A league of Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden I think could benefit the popularity of the sport and financial backing of these clubs long term.
It's a great idea but hard to sell. In the current preseason tournament European trophy the attendence figures are very low for the swedish teams. Take the six best team from Elitserien and the six best from SM-liiga plus the danish and norvegian national team and you could form a pretty strong league. Unfortunately swedes don't seem to like watching their teams facing forreign teams.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Denmark has in the recent years developed the most high end players when it comes to these small hockey nations
Yeah and as a Latvian I'm really jealous... but come the drafts of 2012 and 2014 and we might see some joy on our street too

As for Danish club joining KHL... I'd only love seeing Danish club in the KHL but from Dane's point of view it's more viable to try to apply for Elitserien if you want a "superculb"... Though I'm not sure if they'd take you... I believe Latvia has tried to ask Swedes and Finns to let our club in their top leagues and they refused... then came Medveded with open league and lots of cash. I guess we couldn't resist....

Danmark can't build a championship of even Slovakia's level on its own... so yeah, if you want a superclub either try to apply for Elitserien, get cash and arena and call Medvedev (he'll take you immediately and say ''thank you") or wait for some Nordic League to appear to cover the whole region... Or you can just enjoy your own championship level and produce next big superstars. I don't think not having a KHL club hinders country's hockey development.... on the other hand, it would GREATLY INCREASE the popularity of hockey in Denmark... it has happened in Latvia, it has happened in Belarus (some 2500 people attending Minsk games in the first season, built new Arena and Minsk averaging over 10 000 in the third season)... though we were hockey nations already before, not like Denmark so I dunno.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote