HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm - Pitts

Old
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
And Pittsburgh wants to trade for someone who is injury prone?
Probably not, no. That's why I never said that Pittsburgh would do it. I'm an Oilers fan, and know more about what the Oilers want and need than I do the Pens, so I said no from my side, not no from my side and Pittsburgh would be retarded not to do this deal.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Schollie

Well there's no denying Malkin is a great player, there is no way I do Hall and RNH, truly not even close. Well Malkin did get the Conn Smythe (arguably could've went to Crosby) I definitely feel Hall and RNH fit our team way better. It's cliche but you have to add value being canadian and being from western Canada definitely adds value for the Oilers. Not to mention being alot cheaper/ less risky than Malkin currently is.

It has definitely been some pretty serious injuries which always have the potential of not getting quite up to 100%. Maybe Malkin just doesn't quite have the same speed as before and as a result his offense never reaches the previous high totals. Who knows how Malkin is in the locker room/ how he would mesh with our current group. Seems like Hall fit right in and has future captain written all over him, and I imagine the same with RNH meshing with the young core we have. Definitely understandable Pens fans don't want to trade Malkin either, but if the Kovalchuk/ Richards trade are any indication your not getting two 1st overall picks with huge potential. Even though Malkin is better than those 2 you have to factor in contract and injuries.

Schollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Probably not, no. That's why I never said that Pittsburgh would do it. I'm an Oilers fan, and know more about what the Oilers want and need than I do the Pens, so I said no from my side, not no from my side and Pittsburgh would be retarded not to do this deal.
So you wouldn't trade Hemsky and a quality prospect for a proven generational talent, who is a Stanley Cup, Art Ross and Conn Smythe trophy winner...?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Eberle
4-93-14

Send a message via MSN to Eberle
Quote:
So you wouldn't trade Hemsky and a quality prospect for a proven generational talent, who is a Stanley Cup, Art Ross and Conn Smythe trophy winner...?
I wouldn't. Call me crazy all you want. And RNH is a little more than a "quality prospect".

There are too many question marks when it comes to Malkin in Edmonton, for me.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prattio View Post
are you guys ****ing serious LOL thought it was one dude but whatever you want to think go ahead.

That combo would totaly do more damage than Malkin+hall. Not saying RNH wont be good someday but you honestly think he will ever be as good as Malkin?
Why can't Hopkins be as good as Malkin, or at least close? The first forward taken each draft to play post lockout have been: Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, J.Staal, Crosby, Ovechkin. They've all done pretty good for themselves, so why don't we hold onto a guy who could be a lifelong Sakic/Yzerman type, and keep our ppg winger too. Malkin is very good, but he's expensive and only guaranteed for 3 more years. The same amount of time that Hopkins would be done his ELC, assuming he makes the team this year. I'm not saying he'll be as good, although he might, as Malkin or anyone above, just that he should be a very good player in his ownright. This is a potential franchise center, and a 1st line winger for only 3 guaranteed years of Malkin. Not worth it IMO.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I have to think that the Pens would insist on Hall instead of Hemsky, the rest of the players could be changed as I am sure the Oilers wouldn't want to loose Hall and RNH. I just can't see the Penguins trading Malkin for Hemsky and a guy who might be a year away from playing on the team. They are contenders for the Cup right now, removing Malkin could really change the team, so you also have to figure you are asking the Penguins to trade away a shot at the Cup, and in that case, it really would take a heck of a lot to get Malkin.

I don't even want to come up with a deal that i think would pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh and have them sacrifice their shot at the Cup because it is a long way away from the original proposal and the Oilers wouldn't ever do it.

The Oilers seem committed to building their team through the draft, i just don't see them deviating so drastically from the direction they have been going when in all likelyhood it would hurt them in the long run.

The Oilers will be stacked at the forward position for years, it is just going to take a little time for them to mature and develop into the players most of us think they will become.

Nothing but good things will happen for the Oilers if they continue like they are right now in my opinion.
we have 2 more drafts before we COULD contend if we wanted to and made moves, but we wont. we will continue to stock up the cupboards. finnish goalies seemed to be the goal in this draft for the back end due to their higher age and supposed easier to assess ceilings and defficiencies---plus we dont need to sign them and take up a contract . they just stay our property and play overseas
the trade proposed would help the oilers now but we dont care about now. we want a stock pile of talent to play or use as bargaining chips. the fans in edmonton know we wont likely be challenging anything except for tv ratings and most entertaining team in hockey until we get to our new arena. once in the new arena it will be go time. until then we stock up on high picks and play the lamb. This is why our scouting and development system spending is higher than our nhl coach/training staff spending. we will be ready when we want to be. the fans are all in agreement, we dont care if we finish last if we see a good effort and our prospects are built up and kept aside.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-25-2011 at 06:26 PM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:22 PM
JTG

Yes. Because trading for Malkin, a 24 year old superstar center, only helps in the now.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Malkin could be an undoubted cornerstone for the Edmonton franchise, and he's as proven as they come. You know what Edmonton could really use when their time comes in the next few years? Not a bunch of a fresh faced 20 year olds. A then 26 year old superstar center who has not only produced in the playoffs, but he already has a ring on his finger.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Eberle
4-93-14

Send a message via MSN to Eberle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yes. Because trading for Malkin, a 24 year old superstar center, only helps in the now.

Malkin could be an undoubted cornerstone for the Edmonton franchise, and he's as proven as they come. You know what Edmonton could really use when their time comes in the next few years? Not a bunch of a fresh faced 20 year olds. A then 26 year old superstar center who has not only produced in the playoffs, but he already has a ring on his finger.
What do you figure the odds of Evgeni Malkin signing long term with the Oilers after his contract would be up?

I could be wrong, but I just don't see him wanting to stick around.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

Nobody is doubting how good it would be to have him here. It's just the price. A near PPG winger who only now has quality linemates and a potential franchise center is a bit too steep for Edmonton until we have a better look at what RNH can do

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
What do you figure the odds of Evgeni Malkin signing long term with the Oilers after his contract would be up?

nbc sports had an article a while ago about gm's being asked which team will start the next cba on the best footing and 6 gm's answered that if they had the chance they would trade their organization for the oilers straight up...and that wasnt even the question. tambi has it right... now is the time to stock up on players we can hold as property for years and not sign. the euro leagues are where we will continue to look for the 3rd and further rounds. this is to avoid having to trade because we have too many prospects. then we trade when we want rather than because we need contract quota space.
love it.
we will be a decent team this year with smyth and belanger replacing penner and cogliano/fraser/brule... sutton and barker replacing foster and vandermeer. but our goal is steady pacing and picking up franchise players that we can sit on for a while as we continue to stock stock stock.
when we get into the new arena we will trade some current players and a high pick and a high end prospect, of which we will have too many to keep track of (this is in 2 -3 years of more top 5-10-15 picks) for the bits to put us over the top and into perrenial top 4 in league.
players are currency. we will have alot.
pittsburgh drafted bottom a few years and got fleury, malkin and crosby (the exact team i wanted to win the lotto...yet the exact team i ddint want to win the lotto made it to 2nd...that was stress).
the oilers had 3 half rebuild years, now 2 full on rebuild, 3 more full to halfs coming up...then we open the cupboards.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
nbc sports had an article a while ago about gm's being asked which team will start the next cba on the best footing and 6 gm's answered that if they had the chance they would trade their organization for the oilers straight up...and that wasnt even the question. tambi has it right... now is the time to stock up on players we can hold as property for years and not sign. the euro leagues are where we will continue to look for the 3rd and further rounds. this is to avoid having to trade because we have too many prospects. then we trade when we want rather than because we need contract quota space.
love it.
we will be a decent team this year with smyth and belanger replacing penner and cogliano/fraser/brule... sutton and barker replacing foster and vandermeer. but our goal is steady pacing and picking up franchise players that we can sit on for a while as we continue to stock stock stock.
when we get into the new arena we will trade some current players and a high pick and a high end prospect, of which we will have too many to keep track of (this is in 2 -3 years of more top 5-10-15 picks) for the bits to put us over the top and into perrenial top 4 in league.
players are currency. we will have alot.
pittsburgh drafted bottom a few years and got fleury, malkin and crosby (the exact team i wanted to win the lotto...yet the exact team i ddint want to win the lotto made it to 2nd...that was stress).
the oilers had 3 half rebuild years, now 2 full on rebuild, 3 more full to halfs coming up...then we open the cupboards.
Link? I'd imagine that many more GMs would take the Pens over the Oilers given the choice.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
Lol why is everyone trolling pens fans this week
Because Jagr did and it is a cool thing to do i guess.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 08:42 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberle View Post

Malkin likes to win. He said as much when re-signing in Pittsburgh. If the team was doing so, I could see him sticking around where ever he was.

Old
08-25-2011, 09:29 PM
ImOnFire81

Send a message via AIM to ImOnFire81 Send a message via MSN to ImOnFire81
Not a good trade for Pittsburgh. I think Edmonton should just keep their young core instead of trading it away for a star player. Too risky.

ImOnFire81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Koto

no from edm

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Genrational means 1/2 per generation. Malkin isn't generational. Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, Lidstom, Crosby?. That's generational talent. He's very good but two 100 point seasons doesn't make you a generational talent.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Ice Whole

I'm an Oilers fan but wow is Malkin ever getting underrated. Has a couple of years where he is injured and people forget how good he is. Malkin will win the hart and art ross this year, that's my bold prediction. When Malkin is on his game, he is the best player in the NHL IMO.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:18 AM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I'm an Oilers fan but wow is Malkin ever getting underrated. Has a couple of years where he is injured and people forget how good he is. Malkin will win the hart and art ross this year, that's my bold prediction. When Malkin is on his game, he is the best player in the NHL IMO.
Hemsky has fallen victim to that same line of thinking too. Not saying he's even remotely in the same league as Malkin, but the eyes are half-shut because of the injuries over the last few seasons for both and people are missing the fact that we're talking about two tremendous talents capable of pushing top 15 in the league (Malkin has shown he can be top 1) with 75-80 game seasons.

I'm a little sick of the injury argument in Hemsky proposals. Pens fans are no strangers to losing their best players to injury, clearly evident with the shortened seasons of Malkin and Crosby. But when they go down, you certainly don't question their talent or contributions in the process, same goes for Hemsky. You'd be lucky to have him on your team, perhaps not at the expense of Malkin like the proposal, but I'd be all over trying to pry Ales out of Edmonton for a deal not involving Malkin, Crosby, Letang, and your untouchable prospects.

As it is, happy to watch 83 for another year hopefully, even if it's his last, he'll have me out of my seat on most nights and it'll be worth it.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:05 AM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Hemsky has fallen victim to that same line of thinking too. Not saying he's even remotely in the same league as Malkin, but the eyes are half-shut because of the injuries over the last few seasons for both and people are missing the fact that we're talking about two tremendous talents capable of pushing top 15 in the league (Malkin has shown he can be top 1) with 75-80 game seasons.

I'm a little sick of the injury argument in Hemsky proposals. Pens fans are no strangers to losing their best players to injury, clearly evident with the shortened seasons of Malkin and Crosby. But when they go down, you certainly don't question their talent or contributions in the process, same goes for Hemsky. You'd be lucky to have him on your team, perhaps not at the expense of Malkin like the proposal, but I'd be all over trying to pry Ales out of Edmonton for a deal not involving Malkin, Crosby, Letang, and your untouchable prospects.

As it is, happy to watch 83 for another year hopefully, even if it's his last, he'll have me out of my seat on most nights and it'll be worth it.
I can see the frustration when discussing talent. Not denying Hemsky has talent, but he's missed for than just a season with a freak injury. He's only played 141 of a possible 246 games over the past three seasons. That is something taken into consideration when trading for a player. You wouldn't acquire a player if he was never going to be healthy enough to play, right?

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:21 AM
JTG

I think with Hemsky, he hasn't had an injury plagued couple seasons. He's had an injury plagued career. You can bank on him missing at least 10 games a season.

I will say though, if Hemsky were on a team where he wasn't the primary guy taking the top checking units, he probably wouldn't be so injury prone.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

I don't watch enough of the Oilers to say what the cause is for certain. Maybe he puts himself in bad positions, maybe he's a target, maybe it's a combination of both. Whatever the cause, he has been victim to injuries for a significant portion of his career. It's kind of a shame, cause he puts up points when he is healthy.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
I don't watch enough of the Oilers to say what the cause is for certain. Maybe he puts himself in bad positions, maybe he's a target, maybe it's a combination of both. Whatever the cause, he has been victim to injuries for a significant portion of his career. It's kind of a shame, cause he puts up points when he is healthy.
He is the opposite of the european sterotype, he goes into the corners at full speed and plays in traffic. Unfortunately prior to having Hall he was literally the only good player on the Oilers roster so other teams would only focus on him and play him physical. Also with the Oilers lack of toughness the last few years teams were not scared of comeback and with such a bad power play were not scared of a penalty either, whats a 2 or 5 minute power play when you can board Hemsky.

Also this is just my conjecture sometimes it seems like the NHL has not as much focus on the west as the east or even the Oilers as other teams. Just youtube Hemsky getting hit and its like 1/3 hits is dirty and there is rarely a penalty called and never a suspension. Last year with Hall people were hitting and slashing him and Hemsky so the attention was divided.

I think if his shoulders hold up he could play 65-75 games which isnt the full season but you almost expect him to miss a few from the odd ailment

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
I can see the frustration when discussing talent. Not denying Hemsky has talent, but he's missed for than just a season with a freak injury. He's only played 141 of a possible 246 games over the past three seasons. That is something taken into consideration when trading for a player. You wouldn't acquire a player if he was never going to be healthy enough to play, right?
What's so terrible about the 72 games he played in 2008-2009. Probably 80-100 of the games you cite he missed because of 2 injuries. It's a problem and he's not an iron man or anything, but it's also way overblown. 2 years and 2 major injuries is more bad luck than anything.