Trade Deadline...2012

Old
08-26-2011, 01:56 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline...2012

Wait? What?

I'm just seeing what people would think if Minnesota was offered a package similar to Roloson for Backstrom. a 1st and a conditional pick depending on how far the team went. Would Minnesota pull the trigger? Could they pull the trigger? What if they were in the playoff hunt?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

No matter how far out of the playoffs the Wild are this year at the trade deadline I really don't see them moving Backstrom unless the package is massive overpayment. It's more than just his bad contract too. We don't have anybody that can replace him, Harding maybe til the end of the year and most importantly his NTC that he would have to waive. Backstrom really likes it here and he seems to want to stay. I don't think getting him to waive his NTC would be as easy as it was with Havlat. I think we're very lucky to have a talented player that actually wants to play here.

If we could play better defense in front of him maybe he wouldn't have to stop 35 shots a night and get scored on because our defense couldn't clear out the rebound or because they allowed the opposition to fire shots continuously from the slot.

Don't blame Backstrom for his overpayment, blame DR. That being said if a goalie like Rinne makes it to free agency hell yeah get rid of Backstrom.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

If we do trade Backstrom I think it will either be next off season or more likely the next trade deadline when he's on the last year of his contract. I think we need to worry about improving our defense and making sure Granlund is capable of handling the no. 2 center job next year before we decide what to do with Backstrom. Goaltending is the least of our concerns right now and I doubt it will be any different come trade deadline time. If we move Backstrom I expect an even better goaltender to replace him before the start of the following season. I don't want us to end up like Philly pre-Bryzgalov.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 03:43 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Im with WILDhf, we don't have anyone to fill the holes that Backs would leave gaping, and we can't really take the risk that a pro goalie will hit the free agent market the next summer, especially when the coming years are so important for us. We have some great players coming up and if we would start losing because of lack of goaltending we would almost be on square one again..

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:52 AM
thomast

Should minny deal PMB? i don't see him in any future projections.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I don't think anyone would possibly offer us that package.

However, if Harding/Endras look like they could (I'm not going to use that pun) make it through the rest of the season, and Hackett appears he'd be ready in 2012-2013, I think we consider it. That's a lot of ifs that just lead to a maybe though.

We're somewhat stuck at the moment. We need Backstrom until either Hackett or Gustafsson is ready to take over. It's hard to get decent goaltending signed for very short term, so we're pretty much stuck with what we have at this point. Until our D shapes up, we can't run with mediocre goaltending if we want to win any games.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:49 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Should minny deal PMB? i don't see him in any future projections.
Bouchard's contract isn't that great. When you look at his concussion history, he could be one bad hit away from a premature end to his career. I really can't see any other team paying to take him on while he still has term left on his contract. That said, he could be moved at the 2013 trade deadline when he'll be an impending UFA. That's the only time the Wild could possibly get fair value for him.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I could see Zidlicky, Zanon, or Stoner traded this deadline. Two are UFA's and one (Zid) has an expiring NTC and may or may not be a fit here. It depends on how he plays this year, stays healthy, fits in with Yeo, etc. I see Schultz being a longer-term dependable guy and my gut feeling is Lundin plays well and might earn an extension.

I think one of Bouchard or Latendresse would be moved by next summer to make room for Granlund and possibly Coyle or Wellman coming up. It depends on health, chemistry, and performance. Way too early to tell right now IMO.

Backstrom I can't see being moved because that would screw up the development of Hackett/Kuemper. You want them playing big minutes in the minors the next couple years, unless you just want them to be backups.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
nickschultzfan

Cullen (despite no trade clause), Zidlicky, and Zanon should be on the block IMO. Clear out the vets, make room for Parise, Suter, Granlund, and the kids.

Rock-out in 2012-2013.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I can't see us trading Backstrom at the deadline for anything. Maybe next year if Hackett or Endras really shine, and I mean like the sun then I could see it happening. Both of them will most likely stay in the minors this and probably next season too.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Endras is not playing here.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Endras is not playing here.
He is a very long shot, on the other hand I think Hackett could make the jump in a few years. I don't think Endras will ever be more than a backup for a few games at the NHL level. He could be a good depth goalie with the Aeros though.

Old
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He played like crap in GERMANY last year and I doubt he comes to the US to be a backup in the minors. He'll make the same money playing in his home country with less scrutiny and less travel. I'm not even sure the Wild would offer him a contract with those stats.

Old
08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
DW

Zanon doesn't make the whole season as a Minnesota Wild player, maybe Zidlicky.

The tradedeadline will be pretty tame for this team I think.

DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
He played like crap in GERMANY last year and I doubt he comes to the US to be a backup in the minors. He'll make the same money playing in his home country with less scrutiny and less travel. I'm not even sure the Wild would offer him a contract with those stats.
I was under the impression the Wild wanted him to come to the AHL and be a backup at least before the 2010-2011 season. Anyway Hackett will get a shot long before him.

Old
08-26-2011, 08:02 PM
BagHead

I don't know. I'd be pretty comfortable with a Roloson/Harding platoon this year. That said, what about next year, when we have no goalie? Sure Harding may impress, but how long before he gets injured again? I just don't trust him yet in that regard.

BagHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:54 AM
rafterman

vCash: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I was under the impression the Wild wanted him to come to the AHL and be a backup at least before the 2010-2011 season. Anyway Hackett will get a shot long before him.
Wanting and getting are two drastically different things sometimes...

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote