HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Inline/Roller Hockey Thread

Old
08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
hskates21*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwan20 View Post
Kinda off-topic, but thought I'd keep it in this thread rather than start a new one.

Anyone got any good 4 on 3 penalty kill strategies?
My team is getting killed on the PK, need some ideas as to how we should be playing the PK.
Most important part of the pk is for the forward to stop the puck from going straight through the triangle
your team should make

hskates21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Sirstig

Roller hockey skates on thr road.

I have revisited ice hockey after 30 years last summer so I also bought some roller hockey skates to keep my skating up when ice time is rare. Am I crazy to use skates with no brakes out on the street? Even though I have decent agility on the ice, I feel like a rank beginner on wheels. I have to plan ahead a block to stop and down hill is all about hoping no one else is on the street until I slow down.
Any advice or roller blade techniques (especially stopping) would be appreciated.

Sirstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 11:07 PM
arlingtonway

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
Anyone know much about the AIHL? A friend of mine on fb posted a link to some team that plays in the league and I was just wondering if anyone plays or knows anything about it. Says the team is holding open tryouts and I was curious as to how high the skill and compete level is.

Like any league there are extremes from team to team, but over all the skill level is solid. A lot of guys at the "pro" or "elite" will have played ACHA or NCRHA hockey. Some will play NARCH PRO and few might have even played internationally.

The "minor" teams is where you'll see the biggest gap talent wise. You could go from a guy whos played high school ice or played in a good youth travel program to a guy whos never played ice but plays on a C league inline house team on one roster.

The AIHL is a good league,and the competition level is pretty high. It can't hurt to tryout so I say go for it.

The upside is you get a chance to play some good hockey the downside is you get to see what you need to work on inorder to play at that level.

arlingtonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 03:22 AM
darkmoon1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
Anyone know much about the AIHL? A friend of mine on fb posted a link to some team that plays in the league and I was just wondering if anyone plays or knows anything about it. Says the team is holding open tryouts and I was curious as to how high the skill and compete level is.
My rink is the home of the Long Island 495ers, who are one of the top teams in the AIHL if I'm not mistaken. The smaller/older guys and obviously the less talented are those who play in the minor division, with the better ones in the pro. Of the players that I know, they are all pretty good. Good competition overall.

Anyone around here play NAYRHL? I play on the Jr. Long Island 495ers.

darkmoon1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 04:03 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mully12 View Post
I play roller out here in Phoenix, 4 on 4, no offsides or icing. Starting to realize my endurance is nowhere near what it used to be (played soccer for 16 years but have taken a few years off as I couldn't really find a league out here I liked). I was wondering if anyone had a good Stamina + Speed training program that works pretty well for them, trying to get back in shape is a *****. Not looking for some intense work out but just something that will gradually improve my endurance and speed. Thanks in advance.
Try interval style cardio on either an elliptical or treadmill. I found that it increased my endurance in a short period of time.

JustinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
The AIHL is a good league,and the competition level is pretty high. It can't hurt to tryout so I say go for it.
A lot of my friends play on the Richmond team, I don't have the wheels to keep up with that anymore...It can be pretty high level roller hockey, very tactical and some impressive skill.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 01:19 AM
arlingtonway

the robins usually have a pretty solid club, I've seen them play a fair number of times.

Best part about that rink, the theater seats very comfortable.

Old
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
PensFreak

I play at Slippery Rock, we finished top 8 in teh nation in division 2 last year. I was also invited to try out for the AIHL Pittsburgh Bandits by the best player on that team, Dustin Roux. Played a few times with him, the man has got the best hands I have ever seen and is fantastic at protecting the puck. He's a monster

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:37 PM
arlingtonway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
I play at Slippery Rock, we finished top 8 in teh nation in division 2 last year. I was also invited to try out for the AIHL Pittsburgh Bandits by the best player on that team, Dustin Roux. Played a few times with him, the man has got the best hands I have ever seen and is fantastic at protecting the puck. He's a monster

congrats on the invite. The Bandits always have a good team, won the AIHL the first season...good luck at the tryout.

Old
08-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Narut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirstig View Post
I have revisited ice hockey after 30 years last summer so I also bought some roller hockey skates to keep my skating up when ice time is rare. Am I crazy to use skates with no brakes out on the street? Even though I have decent agility on the ice, I feel like a rank beginner on wheels. I have to plan ahead a block to stop and down hill is all about hoping no one else is on the street until I slow down.
Any advice or roller blade techniques (especially stopping) would be appreciated.

on ice you lay your weight on both skates and slide linear until u stop. on normal ground you try to stop the same but more circular. on a very rough ground like asphalt you may lay ur weight mainly on the skate which is outside of ur circular movement, as if u want to make a big score in the ice. the smoother the ground the more similar u can stop like on ice.

thats my experience, i hope the english is understandable

Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
OkimLom

Season is coming up in the AIHL. In Buffalo the Fusion are having their tryouts This Weekend(I think). They have some solid players on that team. They got a mix of skill and d play. Heck, they had the two best players(stats wise) with Tyler and Denny taking #1 and #2 @ the pro level.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Sirstig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narut View Post
on ice you lay your weight on both skates and slide linear until u stop. on normal ground you try to stop the same but more circular. on a very rough ground like asphalt you may lay ur weight mainly on the skate which is outside of ur circular movement, as if u want to make a big score in the ice. the smoother the ground the more similar u can stop like on ice.

thats my experience, i hope the english is understandable
Thanks Narut! I'll try that.

Sirstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:45 AM
Narut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirstig View Post
Thanks Narut! I'll try that.
let us know how it worked out

Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Escapades

I used to play NAYRHL for the Potomac Mavericks. Will be playing this season in the SECRHL for George Mason.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Scotty94

Girdles, pads, and certainly cups aren't "for players that don't know how to take a fall."

I've been playing inline for about 15 years now and have almost always worn an inline girdle. I'm not sure about the leagues you guys play in, but when I played in college with/against teams like Lindenwood University, contact was allowed. Granted, it isn't (for the most part) in the rec leagues I play in now, but we still take some pretty good runs into the boards together, have plenty of stick work, and block shots. Taking a stick/puck to the thigh, groin, or hip hurts like a MFer.

Call me a wuss if you'd like, but I'd rather be able to keep skating, playing, and walking normally the next day because a thin piece of foam and plastic insert saved my tailbone.

Scotty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:35 PM
AintLifeGrand

Just registered for Roller Hockey. Havent played competitive Ice or Roller since I was a sr in HS- I am 24 now.

League starts next week- any tips on how to develop the muscle memory of stickhandling?

When i played back in HS i had a fraction of the hockey IQ I have now.

Can someone elaborate on what I should focus on as a forward in Roller vs that in Ice? Is two way play more important because of the extra space and faster pace?

What else should i keep in mind?

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Just registered for Roller Hockey. Havent played competitive Ice or Roller since I was a sr in HS- I am 24 now.

League starts next week- any tips on how to develop the muscle memory of stickhandling?

When i played back in HS i had a fraction of the hockey IQ I have now.

Can someone elaborate on what I should focus on as a forward in Roller vs that in Ice? Is two way play more important because of the extra space and faster pace?

What else should i keep in mind?

Don't worry, I took 10 years off from age 18 to 28.

It'll come back to you but you'll most likely feel rusty/off/etc. I sure did. Back in my teens I would get the puck and almost no one could stop or catch me. I went from a scrawny kid to a weight lifter who didn't skate at all; at 70lbs. heavier it was not exactly the ideal situation for starting up again! But despite the lack of crazy speed, my game has changed a bit that makes me, IMO, more valuable. My two-way play is definitely better, as is my physicality. At least the size comes in handy for that. But I play against kids in their late teens and college kids who have been playing all their life, I'm not exactly looking to score the most points or be the fastest anymore. What I do want to do is beat them, and my team hasn't gone home w/o a championship in 5 straight seasons. I've led us in scoring once and have been in the top 3 all other times but once. We're currently 3 games into the latest season and I'm leading again. I'm definitely not our best player but smarts help make up for that a lot. Don't be a one trick pony or you'll end up shut down and frustrated, unable to do anything about it.

Point being, you might not find things exactly as they used to be and if that's the case just use your smarts to exploit your strong points. Also work on your weak points as well, as that is the key to becoming better (duh).

Depending on how your team is built, playing at both ends might not be as important as if it were built another way, but as long as you aren't leaving options open at the point by coming back too far I doubt you're going to harm anything by doing so. If it's just a bunch of guys running around and the D has no idea what they're doing, it'll probably be more beneficial to be a tough two-way player as opposed to having 2 brick walls back there who only let up a handful of shots per period.

Take it as it comes, and adapt accordingly. Last thing I can suggest is practice stickhandling as often as you can so you get 'the feeling' back. I did that on and off throughout my days and while I never did get to be as lightning fast as I used to be, it did help me get used to it all over again and then some. Then again I only did basic drills and didn't bust my ass to re-discover my hands like I probably should have. At the time I was more focused on getting my legs back, FWIW.

Last edited by Ozz: 01-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:04 AM
AintLifeGrand

What are the differences between the responsibilities and roles of a forward in Ice vs Roller? Is it more symmetrical when playing defense as the forward covers his opposing forward and so on?

Do I need to play a more 2 way game or can i focus mainly on offense?

Any difference in breaking out? Is dump and chase as effective or is carrying the puck in the zone better?

Old
01-30-2012, 03:33 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
I play ice hockey in the winter and roller hockey in the spring. I don't play high level roller hockey though, I just try to get on a team with a few buddies and have fun haha.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Ozz

Quote:
What are the differences between the responsibilities and roles of a forward in Ice vs Roller? Is it more symmetrical when playing defense as the forward covers his opposing forward and so on?

Do I need to play a more 2 way game or can i focus mainly on offense?

Any difference in breaking out? Is dump and chase as effective or is carrying the puck in the zone better?
It's going to depend on the makeup of the team and how you all distribute roles and responsibilities. You could dump and chase but most often you'll find carrying it in to be easier, especially if those roles and such haven't been doled out. Having a good two-way game is VERY important. Not because it's necessary, but because most average teams don't expect (or play) one and it's just like having a major advantage.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:50 PM
AintLifeGrand

Word.

Any word on Alkali skates? Looking to upgrade my 2006 era Bauer Vapor XX bladez.

Old
01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
caris16

Quote:
Word.

Any word on Alkali skates? Looking to upgrade my 2006 era Bauer Vapor XX bladez.
Just bought a pair of CA7's a few weeks ago. These are easily the best skates, ice or inline, I've ever had on. The boot provides a very nice heel lock and the toe box is nice and wide. It's very moldable after that initial bake. I've blocked a few slappers now and have had basically no pain at all.

Regarding the all-80mm setup, I really like it. I came from a Vanguard setup, so getting used to it might not have been as bad as someone coming from a traditional hi-lo. I'm really getting the best starting and stopping I've ever had. They come with some high-quality Labeda X-Soft wheels too which really help.

The only really minor complaint I had was lace bite during my first skate. That went away after the first few minutes. I can't recommend these skates enough. One of the founders of the company is very active on hockey message boards and that alone got me to try the skates on. The fit and quality got me to buy them.

caris16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
I'm gonna revive this thread with some AIHL input. There are currently two "professional" (semi-pro) roller hockey leagues that have any pull. AIHL and PIHA. There are also some smaller leagues (MLRH, etc) and some tournament series (NARCh, TORHS).

The AIHL is easily the most recognizable and largest of the leagues, with teams in all the roller hockey hotbed regions (Long Island alone has three teams, NJ had four last season, Philly has a team, California has a large number, etc)

The level of play is very high, and the games are interesting, but with the addition and relocation of many teams, the talent pool has become very diluted. Minor games are on part with an A division house league game, and some pro division games are on par with Division 1 Collegiate Roller games (of course, when the better teams play in the AIHL, the level of play far surpasses D1 in the NCRHA)

One disappointment this season has been the disappearance of Z-Rink in Glastonbury, CT, and the subsequent relocation of the Fire Ants to a small rink in Plainville. Z-Rink was hands down the nicest AIHL rink I've ever been to.

That said, if you get the opportunity to play in this league it is a fun experience, and for whatever reason there seems to be a lot more parity this season than last. My only gripe is, some players take this league, which is essentially a glorified travel men's league, too seriously. It is NOT professional hockey and no one makes any money off it. The purpose of the league was to give Collegiate Roller Hockey players a place to play after they were done with the extremely well organized and centralized NCRHA.

I've been saying for years that roller hockey needs someone to come in with a seven figure investment and centralize the sport, by starting an ACTUAL professional league. Lets remember that the RHI was a success until they tried to over-expand and fill NHL size arenas. The fact that there are a dozen egos running the sport in all directions is driving it into the ground. An April - September season in vacated AHL/ECHL arenas, employing top notch roller hockey players, a full time staff, and off-season minor pro ice players would succeed.

By the way, hello to whomever in this thread said they played for Slippery Rock in 2011. You guys knocked me and my Binghamton team out in the Top 16, and then we commiserated at the bar after you guys were out.

Cheers!

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:33 PM
QuadDeuces

Send a message via AIM to QuadDeuces
One addendum. If ultimate frisbee can draw fans and break even/make money as a league, are you really telling me roller hockey cant?

http://theaudl.com/

QuadDeuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Torquenstein

Hey narut,
where do you play inline in germany?

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote