HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Hamilton Bulldogs scheduled to play an outdoor game this year

Old
08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
Hamilton Bulldogs scheduled to play an outdoor game this year

It's scheduled for Jan 21st vs Toronto Marlies

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:46 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Capacity of Ivor Wynne is almost 30,000. I wonder if they'll sell out.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Capacity of Ivor Wynne is almost 30,000. I wonder if they'll sell out.
Not a chance i would be shocked if they reach 15,000.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:38 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 628
It’s a classic: Bulldogs vs. Marlies at Ivor Wynne - http://www.thespec.com/sports/bulldo...-at-ivor-wynne

LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Not a chance i would be shocked if they reach 15,000.
I would be shocked if they reach 4000.

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:29 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

I don't know why they choose two teams with major attendance issues as the outdoor game...

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:44 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
I don't know why they choose two teams with major attendance issues as the outdoor game...
Having a outdoor game is fine i just hope they don't market it like toronto vs hamilton outdoor classic in the worlds best hockey market.

Old
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I don't know how minor league teams can afford one of these period.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:35 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

They should have really played this game at Ron Joyce Stadium on the campus of McMaster University. I think the stadium if expanded with temporary seats could probably hold 12-15k depending on configuration. They could have had a demand for the game by offering students on campus half price tickets and I'm sure it would be a sellout. I think they will be hard pressed to get close to 20k for this.

I go out to about 10-12 Bulldogs regular season games and try to make it out to a majority of their playoff games and no matter how good this team is they just cannot seem to draw well.

Hopefully, the new marketing team does a better job this year with promos and ideas to get more people in the seats. Apparently they hired the guy who was the San Antonio Rampage's top marketing guy who did a good job with them so we'll see how he does here.

kovacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
They had decent crowds before, with the ones in Syracuse and Hartford. It's gotta be better than having a regular game drawing only 5000. Plus they usually have other events too that would bring in fans, like veterans games, youth games. I know when they held it in Hartford it was a week-long event, with different games each night.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post
They should have really played this game at Ron Joyce Stadium on the campus of McMaster University. I think the stadium if expanded with temporary seats could probably hold 12-15k depending on configuration. They could have had a demand for the game by offering students on campus half price tickets and I'm sure it would be a sellout. I think they will be hard pressed to get close to 20k for this.

I go out to about 10-12 Bulldogs regular season games and try to make it out to a majority of their playoff games and no matter how good this team is they just cannot seem to draw well.

Hopefully, the new marketing team does a better job this year with promos and ideas to get more people in the seats. Apparently they hired the guy who was the San Antonio Rampage's top marketing guy who did a good job with them so we'll see how he does here.
Even then i would be shocked if it was even came close to a sell out just look at hockey support in toronto and hamilton area out side of the nhl its not great.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

I think the fact that it seemes the NHL is shunning the Leafs for an outdoor game, I feel a lot of Leaf fans will show up.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Actually the guy who owns the Bulldogs is also part owner of the Canadiens, and he has some cash. Obviously now that he has decided not to move the affliation to Laval, he's trying everything to rebuild the Bulldogs brand in Hamilton.

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:29 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
I think the fact that it seemes the NHL is shunning the Leafs for an outdoor game, I feel a lot of Leaf fans will show up.
I doubt it while alot in toronto claim to be the world best hockey market when it comes to backing it well the support for ahl and ohl is not great.

Old
09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

Toronto is just too elitist, (in general) if they can't watch the leafs, they're not going to watch anything .. which I think is stupid, AHL and OHL are about 1/5 the ticket price of an NHL game with not much of a difference in talent. I think thats a pretty good deal, but a lot of people only follow NHL.

Old
09-11-2011, 08:58 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Toronto is just too elitist, (in general) if they can't watch the leafs, they're not going to watch anything .. which I think is stupid, AHL and OHL are about 1/5 the ticket price of an NHL game with not much of a difference in talent. I think thats a pretty good deal, but a lot of people only follow NHL.
They don't like hockey below nhl you know what fine i don't have a issue with that its the leaf fans that call torontoa hockey mecca or call tis the world best hockey market yet its a one horse town anything but the leafs don't get good support.

Old
09-24-2011, 09:59 PM
ryanMcEZ

I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance hits 20,000. Toronto Maple Leaf fans in Hamilton will always show up to support their baby Leafs. I remember last year when the Dogs played the Marlies the attendance was about 8000-9000 and its safe to say it was about 60% were Marlie fans (well Maple Leaf fans). I remember the Marlies scored and the place went nuts...I had to double take to make sure I was in Copps.

Realistically it will probably draw between 15,000-17,000 but like I said don't be surprised it it hits 20,000.

I know I'll be there!

GO DOGS!

ryanMcEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:05 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMcEZ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance hits 20,000. Toronto Maple Leaf fans in Hamilton will always show up to support their baby Leafs. I remember last year when the Dogs played the Marlies the attendance was about 8000-9000 and its safe to say it was about 60% were Marlie fans (well Maple Leaf fans). I remember the Marlies scored and the place went nuts...I had to double take to make sure I was in Copps.

Realistically it will probably draw between 15,000-17,000 but like I said don't be surprised it it hits 20,000.

I know I'll be there!

GO DOGS!
I can not see it even comming close to 20,000 the marlies don't do great attednace wise a bit off topic but major jr does not do well attendance wise bottom line is toronto does not as a rule support hockey out side of the nhl all that well.

Old
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
They don't like hockey below nhl you know what fine i don't have a issue with that its the leaf fans that call torontoa hockey mecca or call tis the world best hockey market yet its a one horse town anything but the leafs don't get good support.
Well, the OHL kinda brought it on themselves when they OK'ed franchises for both Brampton and Mississauga. That area certainly can support a team, but not two of them. AND both teams' home arenas are located off the same road 10 minutes apart.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:19 PM
ryanMcEZ

Quote:
I can not see it even comming close to 20,000 the marlies don't do great attednace wise a bit off topic but major jr does not do well attendance wise bottom line is toronto does not as a rule support hockey out side of the nhl all that well.
Well this game is in Hamilton, not Toronto, and Maple Leaf fans in Hamilton also fill Copps when the Marlies come to town. I do not expect fans from Toronto to venture down the QEW to watch the game but I do expect Leafs fans in Hamilton to come out and support the Marlies. I'm well aware that the Marlies cannot fill the Ricoh Centre.

With this also being an outdoor game, even casual hockey fans will go watch just because of the attraction of the game being played outside. Like i said I don't expect 20,000 but I'm just saying don't be surprised if that many show up.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Ryan you can quote the 8,000+ Dogs Marlies game last season at Copps, but lets not forget that earlier in the year there was a Dogs/ Marlies game with less than 3,000.

The casual fans can also sit on his couch and watch on a cold winter day. The attendance is going to hinge on one thing...... ticket prices. I'll be very interested to see where they set them.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMcEZ View Post
Well this game is in Hamilton, not Toronto, and Maple Leaf fans in Hamilton also fill Copps when the Marlies come to town. I do not expect fans from Toronto to venture down the QEW to watch the game but I do expect Leafs fans in Hamilton to come out and support the Marlies. I'm well aware that the Marlies cannot fill the Ricoh Centre.

With this also being an outdoor game, even casual hockey fans will go watch just because of the attraction of the game being played outside. Like i said I don't expect 20,000 but I'm just saying don't be surprised if that many show up.
They could reach 20,000 not likely but its possible however its aslo possible very could have less then 5,000.

Old
09-27-2011, 06:49 PM
ryanMcEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Ryan you can quote the 8,000+ Dogs Marlies game last season at Copps, but lets not forget that earlier in the year there was a Dogs/ Marlies game with less than 3,000.

The casual fans can also sit on his couch and watch on a cold winter day. The attendance is going to hinge on one thing...... ticket prices. I'll be very interested to see where they set them.
But lets not also forget that game was on a Tuesday night, not a very popular time to be going to watch an AHL game.

The game will hinge on ticket prices just like a lot of minor league game, if the price is right people will go.

As for the other comment, I highly doubt there will be less than 5000 people, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out, the support for the Bulldogs in Hamilton is pathetic most of the time.

I remember going to the outdoor charity game in 2005 at Ivor Wynn and they fell just short of 20,000, just throwing that out there.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

nvmd.

Old
11-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Bump.

After seeing the other outdoor game thread, made me wonder what was happening to the one in Hamilton. It`s been really quiet here, no talk about it at all. Thinking back I kind of remember tickets were suppose to go on sale October 11th. Did some checking and sure enough they were suppose to.........

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/arti...ic-in-hamilton

Quote:
The Hamilton Bulldogs announced today that the ticket on-sale date... ...that was originally scheduled for Tuesday, October 11th, has been changed. A new on-sale date and ticket prices will be announced in the near future.
....... It`s been about 6 weeks, not sure what their idea of "near future" is?

I'm starting to wonder if this game is even going to happen at all.