HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lansdowne Redevelopment

Old
08-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
One bit of logic I've simply never understood...

Glebe residents appear to be against big box stores and big grocery stores. They say it will kill the small businesses on Bank St. Why?

If all of the Glebe residents simply keep doing what they do today those businesses won't suffer at all. If anything, the increased traffic of consumers coming into the area for the new development (even if it is for the big box types) will eventually trickle down to the smaller, independent shops.

I can't for a second figure out why those local shops will suffer.
Trickle down economics is a farce, it doesn't work. I'm not against having big stores in the Glebe (in fact I don' care) but the idea that the increased traffic in the Glebe will considerably help the small local stores is wrong: people will go to the stores with the best prices, they won't be shopping around, they won't be strolling down Bank looking for niche stores.
Of course some stores will get more customers, but to say it will outright be beneficial to the small glebe stores is ludicrous. It would be much easier to argue that it will kill some local stores (argue, not prove).

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Trickle down economics is a farce, it doesn't work. I'm not against having big stores in the Glebe (in fact I don' care) but the idea that the increased traffic in the Glebe will considerably help the small local stores is wrong: people will go to the stores with the best prices, they won't be shopping around, they won't be strolling down Bank looking for niche stores.
Of course some stores will get more customers, but to say it will outright be beneficial to the small glebe stores is ludicrous. It would be much easier to argue that it will kill some local stores (argue, not prove).
That is not what trickle down economics means, it means giving tax breaks etc to those at the top which in theory will trickle down and benefit the rest of us.

That bit of flimflam doesn't work,except of course for those at the top.

This is something different, it is like having an anchor tenant at a mall to pull in customers who will then notice the other stores in that mall that they haden't heard from before.

If this project pulls more people into the area it should benefit all the stores and restaurants and bars in the area, especially after a game.

In any case there are no big box stores planned for lansdowne, that is just something FoL use to scare the gullible.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 06:50 PM
hawthy

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'd like to know the demographic of people who shop at the so-called "small Glebe stores". I know Bank Street, from the Queensway to Lansdowne, it a stip of shopping, but what stores are they afraid of losing?

Let me continue by saying I am pleading ignorance on this part of the issue, I'm merely speculating. I can think of a few stores (The Glebe Emporium, for example) that would be considered a "small Glebe store". The way I think of these types of stores is that, regardless of what they put in at Lansdowne, these types of stores are propped up and frequented by a loyal client base of Glebe residents. I'm sure there are people scattered around the City who *may* head to the Glebe for a store they really like, but all these "small stores" they are saying would be in jeopardy, I see them as stores that survive based on clients that live in the area. If they (the FOL, who I am admittedly using as my sample) are as strong-minded and arrogant as they come off, I have no doubt that they'll remain loyal to their "small Glebe stores", which I believe survive based on their patronage. I want to know, though, because not all current businesses in Glebe are "small-scale", which ones we're talking about

Again, I admit I don't really know where their demographic of customers come from, it's just my speculation. What I do want to know, though, is what stores they fear are in jeopardy. I agree, CG, that this type of economics isn't necessarily a reality, but on the flip side and in saying that, I don't think any of the "small stores" would see any negative impact from the presence of box stores at Lansdowne. I think the box stores would bring more people INTO the Glebe, but I think any successes or failures these businesses have are independant of one another.

Like I said, I think many of these stores are supported by Glebe residents themselves, who I don't think are going to stop shopping at stores that I believe (again, I don't have any way to back this up personally) succeed because of "local" support.

If I'm right, then either the FOL doesn't recognize my theory as fact, are choosing to ignore it, or are hypocrites because they fear they will start shopping at the box stores, too.

Last edited by hawthy: 08-26-2011 at 06:59 PM.
hawthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
koreaboy

i think your assessment of the stores in the glebe and the people who frequent them is pretty bang on, actually.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
I go to Kettleman`s in the Glebe and I walk around and maybe shop at another place
or two...but that won`t be impacted if a box store shows up. I go to Place d'Orleans or environs for larger chain stuff.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:02 PM
corksens

Quote:
Why would it kill any local stores? The Glebe residents appear "united" in keeping their little quaint village afloat, are they really doing to goto Loblaws just because it's prices are slightly better? Doesn't really sound like people with strong convictions to me.

So even if the trickle down economics won't work you can at least expect a static level of business for the existing shop owners. Good for them.

Are you really trying to suggest that we shouldn't RE-build Landsdowne because the residents need to us to protect them from themselves? Sad.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Slightly OT,

I'm heading down to the Hammer next weekend for the annual Labour Day classic at Ivor Wynne Stadium. I'll be sporting my classic Rough Riders jersey and 92nd Grey Cup hat, I just need some ideas for a good sign to bring some more attention.......I was thinking of something along the lines of ''see you in 2014 CFL''....anyone here have some other ideas?...would be helpful

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:57 AM
koreaboy

I bet you "Ticats-Ottawa Grey Cup 2015" or something like that might get you some attention

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
I bet you "Ticats-Ottawa Grey Cup 2015" or something like that might get you some attention
ya that could work I guess......believe it or not were actually slated to host the Grey Cup in 2014, not sure what the status of that is now though...

Old
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
ya that could work I guess......believe it or not were actually slated to host the Grey Cup in 2014, not sure what the status of that is now though...
right now it's on time.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
right now it's on time.
true, but I'm going to assume the OSEG and the CFL will want to push it back to 2015, given the fact that is when the Lansdowne revitalization is scheduled for completion now, and will give the organization more time to adjust/prepare instead of being thrown into the fire in their first year of onfield operations.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
hawthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Slightly OT,

I'm heading down to the Hammer next weekend for the annual Labour Day classic at Ivor Wynne Stadium. I'll be sporting my classic Rough Riders jersey and 92nd Grey Cup hat, I just need some ideas for a good sign to bring some more attention.......I was thinking of something along the lines of ''see you in 2014 CFL''....anyone here have some other ideas?...would be helpful
Beauty.

Maybe as well, just to make sure people "get it" in the event the TSN cameras find you, make some mention of being from Ottawa.

"Ottawa will see you in 2014, CFL. Returning to stay."

Either way, DO IT! I'll be looking for ya.

hawthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:50 AM
SelleckStache

The appeal is now underway and should be decided by the new year

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
Now which year is the real question?!?!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 12:57 PM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
and then when the Glebe loses that one, they'll appeal even higher.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
SelleckStache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
and then when the Glebe loses that one, they'll appeal even higher.
Based on the interview I heard this morning, I think they've got a few other stall tactics ready to go if they lose the appeal. Environmental assessment process, etc.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Based on the interview I heard this morning, I think they've got a few other stall tactics ready to go if they lose the appeal. Environmental assessment process, etc.
Its fine to go to court to challenge it even to appeal but if they lose that then try a environmental assessment etc i think that maybe going to far and it will just upset people even more.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

The glebe........

Old
11-28-2011, 05:26 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Last edited by BonkTastic: 11-28-2011 at 05:34 PM.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

EA needs to be done regardless.

Alfieghetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN