HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Yuri Alexandrov has inked a contract with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.

Old
08-27-2011, 07:38 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Count me in the group who believe this likely came with the blessing of Bruins management, and it is possible he was pushed.

It is unfortunate because I do feel he could have become a decent NHL player, but we do have a lot of very similar level prospects at Providence, and this will give someone else a chance.

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:53 AM
stick9

The KHL is a viable option for guys toiling in the AHL. The money is better and it's a better quality league. On top of that, it has an increased appeal to native Russians.

Yuri was toiling in the A. He wasn't cracking this roster any time soon. Career move for him.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Bruwinz37

Who cares...

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Still reading here with passion and popped into to say this:

As others have said, and like I said yesterday elsewhere, wait for the official Bruins announcement. This could be done with the blessing of the Bruins (and who knows, maybe even orchestrated by them).

There is more at issue here than the guy just going back to Russia. Case in point. It removes a contract from the Bruins 50 contract maximum allowed. They were already sitting at 47 with Bartkowski and Marchand left to sign that would have put them at 49 and very limited wiggle room come trade deadline day (or any other time for that matter). They are now at 46 and doesn't force Marc Savard to make an immediate decision or force the Bruins into making him make a decision.

I'm indifferent on Alexandrov so it doesn't matter to me. I just hate seeing a guy dumped on when we don't even know all the facts yet.

Carry on

Oh, and from how I understand the agreement between the NHL and KHL, Alexandrov couldn't have signed with the KHL without the Bruins permission. Like I said, for all we know they could have orchestrated it. Something we may never know.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
At least Soderburg is joining us next season
That's it! Never draft a Swede! They never want to play here!

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:15 AM
ska8ter8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

As others have said, and like I said yesterday elsewhere, wait for the official Bruins announcement. This could be done with the blessing of the Bruins (and who knows, maybe even orchestrated by them).

There is more at issue here than the guy just going back to Russia. Case in point. It removes a contract from the Bruins 50 contract maximum allowed. They were already sitting at 47 with Bartkowski and Marchand left to sign that would have put them at 49 and very limited wiggle room come trade deadline day (or any other time for that matter). They are now at 46 and doesn't force Marc Savard to make an immediate decision or force the Bruins into making him make a decision.

I'm indifferent on Alexandrov so it doesn't matter to me. I just hate seeing a guy dumped on when we don't even know all the facts yet.

Carry on

Oh, and from how I understand the agreement between the NHL and KHL, Alexandrov couldn't have signed with the KHL without the Bruins permission. Like I said, for all we know they could have orchestrated it. Something we may never know.
Ahhhh yes. Oh how we've missed you.

ska8ter8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
We may not know that the Bruins orchestrated it per se, but you've already confirmed what I suspected -- that Chia had to sign off on it. And I do think that you guys are good enough that we'll eventually learn why.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:40 AM
jokerboysmith

Did not really see him in the B's plans.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Thanks OOG, why I figured it was appropriate for me to ask ''Who are we?''.

If Yuri had 2-3 of the other Ds the Bruins have jump ahead of him while he was here he may not ever over come it.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

A little more analysis than my angry good riddance to a non-prospect of earlier. Good work by Chia to learn from his mistake and cut his losses fairly early. He waisted a mid 2nd round pick on this obvious bust, but it happens. .....Bad work by Chia to be up to 49 contracts on the contract limit. I still question if they are going to do much if anything at the deadline this year because of Cba and cap concerns, contract limit, and lack of players they want to trade, but that is a subject for another thread.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Good news, now Providence can focus on developping future superstars such as Tommy Cross, David Warsovsky and Colby Cohen

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Jdawg*
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!

We got Dougie so its all good...

Jdawg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Cam Neely

yawn

Cam Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:47 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:

Carry on

OOG, I was also under the impression that if/when Knight and/or Spooner are returned to their junior teams that those contracts also come off the contract limit number. In which case, with those 2 & Alexandrov going back to Russia, the Bruins would be at 44. And I don't see any real need to re-sign Bodnarchuk (I guess just because he's friends with Marchand?) I don't see enough development from him to take ice away from new guys like Button, Warsofsky & Cantin.

I don't think the contract limit will be an issue at all, personally.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:48 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
A little more analysis than my angry good riddance to a non-prospect of earlier. Good work by Chia to learn from his mistake and cut his losses fairly early. He waisted a mid 2nd round pick on this obvious bust, but it happens. .....Bad work by Chia to be up to 49 contracts on the contract limit. I still question if they are going to do much if anything at the deadline this year because of Cba and cap concerns, contract limit, and lack of players they want to trade, but that is a subject for another thread.
Contract limit won't be an issue, IMO. Plus, rental players will have no affect on the following season's cap and with the cap space the Bruins have (not even including the possibility of putting Savvy on LTIR if necessary), I see the Bruins as being major players for any/all rentals that Chia and co. feel could be a fit.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:05 AM
niroopg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Again, I am not "hating" on Russians.

But I do not know of any non-Russian players who've been under NHL contract and just decided to up and leave and go play in another league. And therefore I'd think twice before drafting one.

If I am wrong and there are non-Russians who've done so, let me know. It's possible they exist. I'm not aware of any.
I'm not sure why its so hard to understand. Canadian and American players don't breach NHL contracts because every single one of them wants to live out their lives in North America. The minute they step back onto North American soil, the NHL team will sue them for damages and breach of contract. Russians can go to the KHL without difficulty because they have no intention of ever living out their lives here. So their contractual breach will never become a legal matter with significant financial ramifications.

niroopg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Seguin View Post
Good news, now Providence can focus on developping future superstars such as Tommy Cross, David Warsovsky and Colby Cohen
Cross will be at BC this year.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:06 AM
FutureConsiderations

Yawn.

He's Yuri Alexandrov, fercrissakes. This isn't Alexander Radulov we're talking about here. He had an opportunity to make an impression this year, but he really didn't look ready for the NHL game. As a result, he got passed over on the depth chart by at least Kampfer and Bartkowski, then the Bruins drafted Hamilton. Kampfer and Bartkowski have a better chance of seeing NHL time next season than Yuri had.

Further, weren't Cam and Chiarelli convinced that Maxim Chudinov would be coming over to North America after this season? I'd rather take a chance on another good prospect than continue to wait for Yuri to reach a stage he might never reach.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:08 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Seguin View Post
Isn't Cross an 8th year senior? How old is he? He's older than Frank the Tank IIRC...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

I didn't like the pick when it was made and I never thought he'd play in the NHL (or NA at all) anyway so him going back to Russia is no real surprise to me. I will say though I was surprised to see him at least come over but to see him leave shouldn't be a shock to anyone. It was clear he wasn't ready for the NA game.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I didn't like the pick when it was made and I never thought he'd play in the NHL (or NA at all) anyway so him going back to Russia is no real surprise to me. I will say though I was surprised to see him at least come over but to see him leave shouldn't be a shock to anyone. It was clear he wasn't ready for the NA game.
I mean very little by this, but that Bruins scouting group we love to talk so much about took Alexandrov 13 points higher than Lucic. And yes, I know Lucic was projected as a third-rounder, my points are just that the draft is such a crapshoot and the best you can hope for is that "bad" picks like Alexandrov get balanced by lucky later picks.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by niroopg View Post
I'm not sure why its so hard to understand. Canadian and American players don't breach NHL contracts because every single one of them wants to live out their lives in North America. The minute they step back onto North American soil, the NHL team will sue them for damages and breach of contract. Russians can go to the KHL without difficulty because they have no intention of ever living out their lives here. So their contractual breach will never become a legal matter with significant financial ramifications.
Right.

And hence my position that if I were a GM, I would be hesitant to draft Russians.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:49 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I mean very little by this, but that Bruins scouting group we love to talk so much about took Alexandrov 13 points higher than Lucic. And yes, I know Lucic was projected as a third-rounder, my points are just that the draft is such a crapshoot and the best you can hope for is that "bad" picks like Alexandrov get balanced by lucky later picks.
Indeed. This whole thing compelled me to look at the 06 draft and who we could have had instead of Yuri, and some of the sting is lessened in that there weren't all that many late round gems that year, at least who have panned out thus far. Some good, solid players for sure, but no stars or anything.

Some of the notable names who were drafted after Yuri:
Lucic and Marchand of course
Kulemin
Matthias
Enroth
Anisimov
Mike Weber
Ryan White
Steve Mason
Clutterbuck
Reimer
Stalberg

Edit:
You could pretty easily make the argument that when the Bruins went to pick at 37, even with that pick being a wash, they still left the draft with the top 2 players available from 37 on. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by BoyntBergie: 08-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.
BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
He hasn't proved he can't play in the NHL. He might be hinting he won't play though. That being the case I can't say it was a bad pick.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Got to love all the HF computer GM's on this board that have declared him a bust already, if nothing else I got a good laugh over this

While it would seem he was a round peg for a square hole kind of pick for this team(Much like Colborne was) I would argue he was as good as everyone else on this defense with the exception of Kampfer's games before call up and Bartkowski's first 15 games after he was demoted, other than that it was fest or famine for most of the year, mostly famine

Don't know about the rest of you but 65,000 in Providence vrs 1,000,000 I know what choice I would make

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote