HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snow still looking for top 4 d-man; training camp invite turned down

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Isles72

vCash: 500
I'd have no problem bringing in mccabe on a one year deal .

jurcina , eaton are injuries waiting to happen

Old
08-27-2011, 07:52 AM
IslandersFan17

The one thing I want to point out is how much people have been going ape over thinking Snow gave up after the Erhoff deal went bust.

Glad to see people in the know at least can come forward and tell people Snow is still working folks!

Old
08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
The one thing I want to point out is how much people have been going ape over thinking Snow gave up after the Erhoff deal went bust.

Glad to see people in the know at least can come forward and tell people Snow is still working folks!
So what? Results are what count.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Pnut

Quote:

Yeah it amazes me again and again when people act like there was a bounty of available dmen to trade for before July 1st came. Then they think that nothing happens and they assume Snows doing nothing. As if in their world, the Erhoff thing just fell into his lap in 2 seconds, then he supposedly ****ed up that and went back to doing nothing.

Then people will say "Oh he's supposed to be looking he's a GM!" as if its so easy to get a decent player in trade if you are any NHL GM let alone one with a "crazy owner" a building that is falling apart and a losing record for 5 years. But yet its so easy

Old
08-27-2011, 08:45 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post

Yeah it amazes me again and again when people act like there was a bounty of available dmen to trade for before July 1st came. Then they think that nothing happens and they assume Snows doing nothing. As if in their world, the Erhoff thing just fell into his lap in 2 seconds, then he supposedly ****ed up that and went back to doing nothing.

Then people will say "Oh he's supposed to be looking he's a GM!" as if its so easy to get a decent player in trade if you are any NHL GM let alone one with a "crazy owner" a building that is falling apart and a losing record for 5 years. But yet its so easy
Agreed....I don't blame Snow for not landing a UFA. I'm actually pleasently surprised at his ability to run the team and make shrewd moves, it is frustrating not to be able to land UFA's...I hate that we HAVE to give up value to get value when every other team can just sign talent.

Bottom line, nobody is crying for us....Snow has to deal with what the situation is and I think he's done a pretty good job.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:46 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Quote:

I think people are reacting to the " A hockey deal that the fans will like to follow" comments made by the team after the Roloston trade. If it wasn't eminent in 24 hours they should not have made statement to avoid the criticisms your reading today. The tone deafness of this team in their dealings with the fan base is a problem to say the least.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
So what? Results are what count.
Actually being results oriented is idiotic when you can't even control most of the variables involved.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
I think people are reacting to the " A hockey deal that the fans will like to follow" comments made by the team after the Roloston trade. If it wasn't eminent in 24 hours they should not have made statement to avoid the criticisms your reading today. The tone deafness of this team in their dealings with the fan base is a problem to say the least.
Was it ever confirmed that it came directly from the organization? Cuz I mean I know Botta reported it... And just because someone reports a rumor doesnt mean it has a credible source. Could be someone whose friends cousins step-sisters aunt who they think works for the Islanders said so

Old
08-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Actually being results oriented is idiotic when you can't even control most of the variables involved.

Excuses....excuses....

Old
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
I'd rather have Rolston at the point. His slapshot is soooooo underrated. Even at age, he can just fire the puck from long range at a blazing velocity
Yeah, take it from a Panthers fan. Rolston's slapshot is much better than McCabe's at this point.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Excuses....excuses....
Its not excuses its a fact. Once the ball leaves your hand you can't do anything about it. You can throw the perfect pitch in an 0-2 count that gets squibbed off the end of the bat by the batter, it just happens to role right past your slow footed shortstop, who also had a bad break. You, as a pitcher, failed, but in reality you did everything right, there are just certain variables that you have absolutely no control over.

Its the same in all aspects of life, you can only do as much as you can.

Not saying, that Garth did everything right, just saying that everything is pointing to the fact that he is doing a competent job; but just not getting the breaks he needs.

Old
08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Bottom line, nobody is crying for us....Snow has to deal with what the situation is and I think he's done a pretty good job.
that says it pretty much there....
Quote:
So every rumor has to come true and if it doesn't then it wasn't something that was made up, it was real an the GM must have goofed up right????? Botta wouldn't put anything on his page unless it was 90-100% true right??????
As to the tone deafness , so they have had some clunkers with the jerseys, what team hasn't (that has the awesome old school ones we have got already?)
And if you meant tone deaf as to non moves or getting FAs, well things arent as easy or simple as you hope it is.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Any trade for a legit top-4 defensemen, is going to cost us-and quite frankly who do you think the Isles should move for a legit top-4? Anybody worth that type of return, is going to leave more of a hole in our roster than they create.

It's not ideal to take a player like McCabe, and it may be a "stop-gap". But those gaps need to be filled out, especially if this team is going to be competing for the playoffs. It would be short term, wouldn't take a spot away from anybody better, or a young player, and we have TONS of cap space. Low risk, high reward.

We also can't bank on Streit being as effective on the PP as he was the other couple years with us. He's missed a whole NHL season-that's a BIG deal. Especially for someone who's 33. Any relief for him on the PP (and McCabe adds that better than anybody else on our roster), would improve the team.
And what can you expect from McCabe? He's no spring chicken anymore. I was surprised to see Botta float that out there anyway. If you want a bad rumor, that qualifies as pure crap.

I do not fear one trade moving a high end forward or two for a high end defenseman in his mid 20s. People here tend to make it out like we will have to move Tavares, Bailey, Okposo, Comeau, Grabner, AND our next three 1st round picks for, say, Bogosian. That just isn't honest. We are loaded at forward, and center in particular, and in trouble on our blue line. Moving just one of our higher end 20 somethings plus sweetener for someone else's headache 20 something blueliner makes the club stronger than keeping our kid and the sweetener. It preserves the build by bringing in youth back for our youth leaving, assuming a deal is there. It needs to happen, because defense isthat important, and frankly we should all be sick to death of having to watch a blueline composed of:
- Talent-risks
- Injury riddled maybes
- Veterans of the War for Independence
bringing up the rear. Our defense has been our greatest weakness, and consequently, a giant pile of E-coli since we last had JJ, Hammer, and Aucoin back there (and I am not saying that was the cream of the NHL defenses either, but it was at least competent and reliable enough to be there most games and give you what you expect to see).

It has now been admitted by Garth that no one worth a pile of dirty socks is willing to come here just for the money, and I put the half-measure named McCabe in that pile, so you have one other option: trade.

It needs to happen, and it should have happened last year. "Oh no, we will lose a precious youth or two!" Yeah, and we also get one back who makes everyone on the ice better from the blueline, but hey, let's conveniently forget that fact. I see no tragic, future obliterating, youth for old farts, wild west sell off here. I see a one time smart & necessary move. People acting like it will mean the destruction of the rebuild... get a grip on reality, please. This needs to happen. Welcome and encourage it.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 08-27-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old
08-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Was it ever confirmed that it came directly from the organization? Cuz I mean I know Botta reported it... And just because someone reports a rumor doesnt mean it has a credible source. Could be someone whose friends cousins step-sisters aunt who they think works for the Islanders said so
If that were so I doubt very much that Botta would have posted it on his site. He called Snow a liar days later.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
that says it pretty much there....

So every rumor has to come true and if it doesn't then it wasn't something that was made up, it was real an the GM must have goofed up right????? Botta wouldn't put anything on his page unless it was 90-100% true right??????
As to the tone deafness , so they have had some clunkers with the jerseys, what team hasn't (that has the awesome old school ones we have got already?)
And if you meant tone deaf as to non moves or getting FAs, well things arent as easy or simple as you hope it is.
Excuses are for losers. So far that is what Snow has built.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:29 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

Then the organization shouldn't have floated any rumors claiming a deal was done.

And no, I don't need video evidence from the black forest to know that the tree laying on the ground fell over to get there, though no doubt some in here require that kind of proof for anything.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Not sure if Blake Comeau alone would bring in a legit top-4 though. What player(s) specifically do you think Comeau could bring in? I just don't see it. I think Comeau could be a piece in a trade-but we'd have to give up more.
24 goal scoring winger that can play in all situations IMO is pretty valuable.

Old
08-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Sammy2010*

Islanders not looking to add veteran forward
By BRETT CYRGALIS

"Right now, I don't have any plans to add another forward to our group," Snow told The Post. "As much as we'd like to add quality veterans, we're not going to box out our young guys."

When Satan was on the ice Friday, he skated with youngsters Nino Niederreiter and Tony Romano, along with a finally-healthy Rick DiPietro in net. The development of Niederreiter, a first-round pick in 2010, is one of the main reasons Snow doesn't want to flood his roster with veteran forwards.

"We want to give a guy like Nino a chance to make our team," Snow said.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...#ixzz1WGHKw09L

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...#ixzz1WGH3jwDi

Snow is OK with not trying to improve the offense so a kid MIGHT make the team.

Old
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Those comments were NEVER made by the team, it wasn't verified by the team and weren't reported by any other blogger, reporter other than Botta. It was an anonymous rumor by one of Bottas so called sources.

So if anyone is reacting to those comments, they have noone to blame for their disappointment than themselves. Sometimes you have to not only read the full story but consider the source before kneejerk reacting to it, I never put much stock in any info given anonymously. If I did then I would have believe we were getting a 1st round pick for Guerin, Kovalchuck would be an Islander twice, Weber would be on the Island with his partner Suter

Old
08-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
Those comments were NEVER made by the team, it wasn't verified by the team and weren't reported by any other blogger, reporter other than Botta. It was an anonymous rumor by one of Bottas so called sources.

So if anyone is reacting to those comments, they have noone to blame for their disappointment than themselves. Sometimes you have to not only read the full story but consider the source before kneejerk reacting to it, I never put much stock in any info given anonymously. If I did then I would have believe we were getting a 1st round pick for Guerin, Kovalchuck would be an Islander twice, Weber would be on the Island with his partner Suter
The source was Botta who obviously still has contacts with the team. But I am sure he just made it up.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
And what can you expect from McCabe? He's no spring chicken anymore. I was surprised to see Botta float that out there anyway. If you want a bad rumor, that qualifies as pure crap.

I do not fear one trade moving a high end forward or two for a high end defenseman in his mid 20s. People here tend to make it out like we will have to move Tavares, Bailey, Okposo, Comeau, Grabner, AND our next three 1st round picks for, say, Bogosian. That just isn't honest. We are loaded at forward, and center in particular, and in trouble on our blue line. Moving just one of our higher end 20 somethings plus sweetener for someone else's headache 20 something blueliner makes the club stronger than keeping our kid and the sweetener. It preserves the build by bringing in youth back for our youth leaving, assuming a deal is there. It needs to happen, because defense isthat important, and frankly we should all be sick to death of having to watch a blueline composed of:
- Talent-risks
- Injury riddled maybes
- Veterans of the War for Independence
bringing up the rear. Our defense has been our greatest weakness, and consequently, a giant pile of E-coli since we last had JJ, Hammer, and Aucoin back there (and I am not saying that was the cream of the NHL defenses either, but it was at least competent and reliable enough to be there most games and give you what you expect to see).

It has now been admitted by Garth that no one worth a pile of dirty socks is willing to come here just for the money, and I put the half-measure named McCabe in that pile, so you have one other option: trade.

It needs to happen, and it should have happened last year. "Oh no, we will lose a precious youth or two!" Yeah, and we also get one back who makes everyone on the ice better from the blueline, but hey, let's conveniently forget that fact. I see no tragic, future obliterating, youth for old farts, wild west sell off here. I see a one time smart & necessary move. People acting like it will mean the destruction of the rebuild... get a grip on reality, please. This needs to happen. Welcome and encourage it.
I agree with the majority of your post. But people on these boards are overrating the value of our young players. We won't be getting a top-4 from the free agent market (obviously), and quite frankly-we never really had a chance.

How many top-4 defensemen have the Islanders ever acquired from the FA market over the past 10 years? Streit. That's all I can think of. And he had ONE good year, where he played wing for tons of the time. Even Streit was a gamble (granted it's more than paid off).

My point is this: the price for a top-4 D is WAY too high via trade (you see how much Wiz cashed in for?!). You don't think Columbus tried shopping around for other options first? You don't think Snow's been on the phone calling? Of course. We cannot get a proven vet on D who's worthy of playing those kind of minutes, and talent for peanuts.

It's going to cost an arm and a leg. Just Comeau, or just Bailey isn't going to cut it. They don't really hold that much value (especially Bailey).

McCabe would instantly improve our power play. Even if he's taken a few steps back, he'll take some attention off of Streit, and free up from space for him. That alone is critical, considering Streit's been out for a whole season, and to be frank: we don't know how he's going to play this year.

Old
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
I agree with the majority of your post. But people on these boards are overrating the value of our young players. We won't be getting a top-4 from the free agent market (obviously), and quite frankly-we never really had a chance.

How many top-4 defensemen have the Islanders ever acquired from the FA market over the past 10 years? Streit. That's all I can think of. And he had ONE good year, where he played wing for tons of the time. Even Streit was a gamble (granted it's more than paid off).

My point is this: the price for a top-4 D is WAY too high via trade (you see how much Wiz cashed in for?!). You don't think Columbus tried shopping around for other options first? You don't think Snow's been on the phone calling? Of course. We cannot get a proven vet on D who's worthy of playing those kind of minutes, and talent for peanuts.

It's going to cost an arm and a leg. Just Comeau, or just Bailey isn't going to cut it. They don't really hold that much value (especially Bailey).

McCabe would instantly improve our power play. Even if he's taken a few steps back, he'll take some attention off of Streit, and free up from space for him. That alone is critical, considering Streit's been out for a whole season, and to be frank: we don't know how he's going to play this year.
I agree with most of this, but I still think pre-season activity will very likely yield an option better than McCabe. I'm not saying that it has to be another dip into the waiver wire and getting fiercely lucky, but either through this or via trade, I think that a better player, stop-gap or otherwise can be had as soon as the Isles' cap space and trade package value become more of a known commodity. Cap compliance and player evaluation should force a little more movement. To coin a certain blogger many of us LOL at, "The Sabres' domino will be the first to fall."

At this point I just want it to be done....I'm tired of flip-flopping from wanting to keep/trade Bailey/Comeau + (insert depth D-man, pick & prospect here) for XXXX XXXXXXX.....

Old
08-27-2011, 02:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

That "finally healthy Rick DiPietro" mention makes me NOT want McCabe but instead a stay at home guy.

Our problems with one dependent clause shifted to defense unless he hurts himself outta the team's way. Thank GOD Hamonic and JoeyMac are looking good and Streit is healthy!

Old
08-27-2011, 02:53 PM
MTK

Quote:
I think people are reacting to the " A hockey deal that the fans will like to follow" comments made by the team after the Roloston trade. If it wasn't eminent in 24 hours they should not have made statement to avoid the criticisms your reading today. The tone deafness of this team in their dealings with the fan base is a problem to say the least
Thanks for the information but it never came from the Islanders. That was chris botta

Old
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Thanks for the information but it never came from the Islanders. That was chris botta

Where do you think he got it from?

Closed Thread