HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings #3 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Kings #3 prospect
Christopher Gibson 0 0%
Brandon Kozun 3 5.36%
Nicholas Deslauriers 8 14.29%
Tyler Toffoli 30 53.57%
Martin Jones 3 5.36%
Thomas Hickey 1 1.79%
Linden Vey 0 0%
Maxim Kitsyn 1 1.79%
Derek Forbort 9 16.07%
Jake Muzzin 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-27-2011, 02:24 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Kings #3 prospect

Results:

1st: Andrei Loktionov 39.66% (runner up: Viatcheslav Voinov 31.03%)
2nd: Viatcheslav Voinov 79.63% (runner up: Tyler Toffoli 12.96%)

Please reply with who you would like to see added to the poll

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:34 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Toffoli

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:29 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Tyler Toffoli

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Hendrydoso

voted Toffoli, add Zatkoff

Hendrydoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Toffoli, add Andreoff.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:03 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
After watching Toffoli at the Red and White games for Canadas WJC, voted Muzzin. He was brutal. Without the puck, he looked terribly lost. He can't skate, and he's not good defensively. He has a good shot and knows where to stand in the offensive zone but thats about it.

Voted Muzzin.

Seriously why add Andreoff? Add Weal.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
He is an over-ager and the closest to being NHL ready. Described as a gritty center that can chip in some goals and drop the gloves. Our staff said he is a Kyle Clifford that plays center. Weal is a decent center, but likely to never move past our fourth line or make the team. Andreoff is specifically bred to center our third line. I am surprised how little love our 2011 prospects are getting in the polls. This is a ranking of quality and caliber of prospects, not seniority.

He's 20 years old, he is big at 6-1 205 lbs, has a 15-1-3 fight record and scored 33 goals in 66 games last year... This is the future of our third line.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/

Quote:
It's not often that 20-year-old players get picked in the first half of a draft, so it may have come as somewhat of a shock that the Kings took a flier on Andreoff in the third round of selections, but it's not every day that players progress so much in a single season as the feisty two-way forward did last year. After posting 15 goals and 33 assists to go with a minus-18 rating on an Oshawa team that missed the playoffs in 2009-10, Andreoff was part of a major turnaround which saw the Generals not only make the playoffs, but win their first series since 2008. Andreoff, for his part, scored 33 goals and added 42 assists to go along with a team-best plus-34 rating and a team-high 109 penalty minutes.

"Over the summer, I was working pretty hard on my skating, puck protection, stick-handling, and shooting," Andreoff said at the recent Kings development camp when asked for the reason behind his rapid improvement. "That work helped during the season."

More importantly, Andreoff's mental state improved as he garnered more responsibility.

"I think my confidence got a little bit better," he said. "Coach gave me a lot of chances and I capitalized on them."

Given his age and physical stature, standing 6'1 and about 200 lbs, Andreoff is poised to make the jump to the pro ranks this season, though whether he'll play for the Monarchs in a depth role or be a key player for the Reign is uncertain. Like Kyle Clifford and Wayne Simmonds before him, who were passed over in their draft years but selected by the Kings as high picks afterwards, Andreoff is a hard-working bottom-six type with a still-expanding offensive upside.

Old
08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Toffoli, add Shore

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
After watching Toffoli at the Red and White games for Canadas WJC, voted Muzzin. He was brutal. Without the puck, he looked terribly lost. He can't skate, and he's not good defensively. He has a good shot and knows where to stand in the offensive zone but thats about it.

Voted Muzzin.

Toffoli sounds a lot like Luc Robitaille. And why not add Andreoff? He's going to be like Simmonds and Clifford before him and come in and make the team sooner than later. I fully expect a 3rd line of the future to look something like Clifford-Andreoff-Nolan.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Forbert

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:04 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Toffoli sounds a lot like Luc Robitaille. And why not add Andreoff? He's going to be like Simmonds and Clifford before him and come in and make the team sooner than later. I fully expect a 3rd line of the future to look something like Clifford-Andreoff-Nolan.
It might just be me, but I don't think Andreoff will be nearly as good as Clifford or Simmonds.

Old
08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
GR81

Tyler Toffoli, add Jordan Weal

GR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
It might just be me, but I don't think Andreoff will be nearly as good as Clifford or Simmonds.
I don't think he has the offensive potential of either of those two no.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
This. As well as the guy who said that Andreoff doesn't have the offensive potential. One of the guys I absolutely loved, Geordie Wudrick, scored 52 goals this year. So he's obviously going to be a good NHLer right? Andreoff was drafted at 20 after having a good season when he was one of the oldest guys in the league. I'm not impressed at all. I don't think he'll be a 3rd liner. Also, it doesn't matter to me if he's closer to the NHL or not. By that logic, you guys would rather have Muzzin than Forbort right?

Old
08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Toffoli sounds a lot like Luc Robitaille.
Or Hodgson, or Gagne.

Forbort.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Toffoli, add Shore.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:54 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
Or Hodgson, or Gagne.

Forbort.
Uhhh....no he doesn't. Toffoli is comparably to Luc I guess in the sense that neither can skate, both are natural goal scorers, and not that good defensively. I honestly am starting to think though that Toffoli will end up being a bust. He was awful in the Red and White where he should have dominated.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Forbort and Toffoli are both very raw but to me still have great potential. The problems that the two players have (like skating, aggresiveness, and positioning) can be fixed/worked on. You can't teach things like vision and instincts like those two have. They were both drafted to be projects for the long-term. Forbort may have taken a step back because of injuries, but rarely do I see defensemen of his stature skate and make first passes like he does. He won't be ready for another four years, but I believe he has top pairing potential.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
I honestly am starting to think though that Toffoli will end up being a bust.
Me too .

He would be a good third guy to have on a line with two amazing players who needed all the defensive attention. The two guys would need size, speed, and skill. All Toffoli has is a shot he doesn't have size or speed to make room for.

The same is true of Cheechoo - on a line with both Marleau and Thornton, he did well, until injuries took him from one of the slowest skaters in the league to basically the slowest.

If Penner fulfills the highest projection we have for him, Toffoli could replace Williams with Penner and Kopitar. Otherwise, I think we need a Vanek type player to go with Kopitar or I worry Toffolo won't make it.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Forbort may have taken a step back because of injuries, but rarely do I see defensemen of his stature skate and make first passes like he does. He won't be ready for another four years, but I believe he has top pairing potential.
Forbort has the highest upside and a decent chance to reach it, so I think he is most valuable, more than even Loktionov and Voynov.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
This. As well as the guy who said that Andreoff doesn't have the offensive potential. One of the guys I absolutely loved, Geordie Wudrick, scored 52 goals this year. So he's obviously going to be a good NHLer right? Andreoff was drafted at 20 after having a good season when he was one of the oldest guys in the league. I'm not impressed at all. I don't think he'll be a 3rd liner. Also, it doesn't matter to me if he's closer to the NHL or not. By that logic, you guys would rather have Muzzin than Forbort right?
It's amazing the Kings didn't hire you as a consultant, could have assisted them and saved them from decided on spending their 3rd round selection on him.

He is more developed and no goal scoring is not his role.

Old
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

It's too early to judge Andreoff, but what's not to like other than his offensive abilities (or lack thereof)? He is a rink rat and a teacher's pet that is willing to play in any situation and forward position. I don't think he'll develop into a Clifford but it's no stretch to say he'll be a solid 4th liner for us some day.

Last edited by TwoForRoughing: 08-27-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It's amazing the Kings didn't hire you as a consultant, could have assisted them and saved them from decided on spending their 3rd round selection on him.

I know you're addressing him, but I don't want my opinion to be misconstrued; I want to make it clear that I don't think Andreoff is a bust or a waste of a pick.

However, I think people confuse the phrase "plays like" with the phrase "plays as well as." Especially when you compare playstyles to players who aren't consider upper tier. Because people say that Andreoff plays like Clifford and Simmonds, people expect Andreoff to play as well as those players. While my viewings of Andreoff were cursory, and I'm no professional scout, I strongly believe that Simmonds and Clifford had a much greater impact in their respective development camps than Andreoff. They played aggressively, but their grit was used to supplement their skillset. Andreoff, from what I saw, had a decent skillset, but he focused more on being gritty to make up for his skills.

And that's why I just don't think too highly on Andreoff. I had to get back to work, so I couldn't stay and watch more of him at camp, but I didn't see a lot of talent. I saw more of a Jeff Cowan type of player. It doesn't make him bad, but more like a dime-a-dozen.

Old
08-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Uhhh....no he doesn't.
I meant that like those two guys fell short of their (first round) hype/projections/potential, so too with Toffoli and his third round hype/projections/potential.

I didn't mean that third round Toffoli will be just as good as first round underachievers. He plays like them, but not as well as them.

Old
08-28-2011, 01:59 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

I never said goal scoring was his role. But you brought up something about his stats. So I brought up something about someone who scored more than him and will never have an NHL career, a guy who was also projected to be a similar player to him in Wudrick. I see Andreoff as nothing more than a 4th liner at best, MAYBE a 3rd liner but certainly not a good or great one. The guy drafted right after him, Anthony Camara is very similar to him. Both are physical players who have a bit of offense to their game and are willing to fight. I would have much rather had Camara who is 18 but that's still not my point. My point was that I don't get why you see him being better than someone like Jordan Weal who I see having better potential and I see potential being more valuable than being further along in the development of his game. And I don't really get the whole comment. I never said ANYTHING rude to you and you come back with some sassy remark for no reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
I meant that like those two guys fell short of their (first round) hype/projections/potential, so too with Toffoli and his third round hype/projections/potential.

I didn't mean that third round Toffoli will be just as good as first round underachievers. He plays like them, but not as well as them.
Well I don't think he plays like them and Hodgson can still prove everyone wrong but I do agree with the fact that Toffoli will be similar to them in terms of disappointing fans. BTW do you mean Sam Gagner or Simon Gagne?