HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks Announce 2 Year Extension for Logan Couture ($2.75m+$3m)

Old
08-27-2011, 06:05 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
so with this final piece of the top 6 forwards and top 5 defensemen signed the sharks for next offseason have 9.3 million (if all stays status quo) to sign 8-9 players all of bottom pairing/line players.
Posted this line up in the trade-rumors board. Doesn't seem too bad in my opinion despite what a certain Red Wings troll believes. The names in there act more as place-holders. The salary is the important thing, and I feel I was more than generous with them. This is also assuming the cap stays the same, which I doubt.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Logan Couture ($2.875m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Torrey Mitchell ($1.500m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / James Sheppard ($1.200m)
Jamie McGinn ($0.900m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.700m) / Andrew Murray ($0.700m)
John McCarthy ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Jason Demers ($1.250m) / Justin Braun ($1.100m)
Nick Petrecki ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.587m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $545,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,709,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $590,832

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I haven't thought about it yet, but I suspect that I will predict that the Sharks will flatline this year on standings points, GF and GA. Essentially neutral on off-season moves. They opened a hole in forward depth to partially close a hole on defense. Just so you know I can be equally negative, Vancouver is going to hurt on GF, GA and standings points on the loss of Ehrhoff alone. The biggest hurt will be on their PP efficacy.
What hole do the Sharks still have on D and why would you think they won't be able to lower their GA this year?

I know you're not a Vlasic fan or an Niemi fan so please don't start quoting stats to me...but now that Niemi has had a full season to adjust to the team and Wallin and Huskins have been replaced by Burns and White, I don't see how this team isn't better defesnively.

You may not think that the Sharks will have a shut down pair, but no one will know that until the season start - I think Burns and Vlasic / Boyle and Murray will do a much, much better job containing the other team this season, and Demers and White are a one of the better 3rd pairings in the league.

I also think that the PK will improve quite a bit, which should also help the GA.

The addition of Handzus means the 3rd line will still be good defensively as well.

Last edited by stalockrox: 08-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Gilligans Island

Easy said they opened a hole in the fwd group to close the hole in the defense, which is true.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Easy said they opened a hole in the fwd group to close the hole in the defense, which is true.
I think he was referrign to Easy's mention of them "partially closing" the defensive hole - implying that some hole still remains.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
I think he was referrign to Easy's mention of them "partially closing" the defensive hole - implying that some hole still remains.
I was just going to post the same thing. It kinda begs for some clarification as he says the team will basically equal last years regular season results, but then says that.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Why is Datsyuk considered a god in the post-season? Two cups on stacked teams. Worse PPG% than Thornton, slightly higher than Marleau, yet those two are considered chokers. Defensive play can only get you so far...
Did you not see what he did against us?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Solmors

I hope Mitchell spent the entire off season working on his shot. It would be nice to have 3 scoring lines again...

Solmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:26 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
What hole do the Sharks still have on D and why would you think they won't be able to lower their GA this year?

I know you're not a Vlasic fan or an Niemi fan so please don't start quoting stats to me...but now that Niemi has had a full season to adjust to the team and Wallin and Huskins have been replaced by Burns and White, I don't see how this team isn't better defesnively.

You may not think that the Sharks will have a shut down pair, but no one will know that until the season start - I think Burns and Vlasic / Boyle and Murray will do a much, much better job containing the other team this season, and Demers and White are a one of the better 3rd pairings in the league.

I also think that the PK will improve quite a bit, which should also help the GA.

The addition of Handzus means the 3rd line will still be good defensively as well.
No stats except to say that I have tracked movement and its effect on standings points, GF and GA for more than the Sharks. It takes quite a bit to change any of those. The specific moves tend to relate very well to the long term results. I specifically leave out playoff performance where matchups become an issue. I generally get my playoff predictors about 3/4 of the way into the season.

My take on the defensive holes going into the off-season was puck movement from the backend and lack of a shutdown pair. Elite shutdown guys are almost as hard to come by as elite offensive guys. Barring a system change or an extreme off-season improvement by the current blueline members, the defense still has the shutdown hole. It wasn't the lower pairing guys who were causing the issue. It was primarily the Boyle/Murray pair. The numbers indicate they would make an elite second pairing defensive pair, just not a shutdown pair. Vlasic isn't in the game unless he has a perfect fit partner. It is getting to pipedream territory to think that Burns could be that guy. The other small hole they have is lack of offensive skill on the left side of the defense.

I have already gone over the issues I have with the offense elsewhere. I don't think any team is perfect. All teams have holes. I am more concerned with fatal (cup-prevention) flaws than the minor ones. I make my points on the other issues because I dislike hyperbole. My biggest issue for the Sharks is offensive depth and that looks to me like it is a fatal flaw. That doesn't mean I wasn't in favor of this summer's moves; it just means that I think that DW has more work to do. I also think some of DW's (read DW and the rest of the suits, it wasn't only DW) previous mistakes would have avoided the shortcomings with which the Sharks are currently faced.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
No stats except to say that I have tracked movement and its effect on standings points, GF and GA for more than the Sharks. It takes quite a bit to change any of those. The specific moves tend to relate very well to the long term results. I specifically leave out playoff performance where matchups become an issue. I generally get my playoff predictors about 3/4 of the way into the season.

My take on the defensive holes going into the off-season was puck movement from the backend and lack of a shutdown pair. Elite shutdown guys are almost as hard to come by as elite offensive guys. Barring a system change or an extreme off-season improvement by the current blueline members, the defense still has the shutdown hole. It wasn't the lower pairing guys who were causing the issue. It was primarily the Boyle/Murray pair. The numbers indicate they would make an elite second pairing defensive pair, just not a shutdown pair. Vlasic isn't in the game unless he has a perfect fit partner. It is getting to pipedream territory to think that Burns could be that guy. The other small hole they have is lack of offensive skill on the left side of the defense.

I have already gone over the issues I have with the offense elsewhere. I don't think any team is perfect. All teams have holes. I am more concerned with fatal (cup-prevention) flaws than the minor ones. I make my points on the other issues because I dislike hyperbole. My biggest issue for the Sharks is offensive depth and that looks to me like it is a fatal flaw. That doesn't mean I wasn't in favor of this summer's moves; it just means that I think that DW has more work to do. I also think some of DW's (read DW and the rest of the suits, it wasn't only DW) previous mistakes would have avoided the shortcomings with which the Sharks are currently faced.
We are where we are and I like where we're at heading into the season.

If you believe the reports that DW went after Vrbata and Gagne, then you know DW recognizes our lack of forward scoring depth as well and will assuredly address it at some point. Agree that it could be fatal - I think most of us fans see that given how much it's been discussed this offseason after DW made his moves.

On the shutdown issue, yes, we don't have a bonafide shutdown Dman in like Chara, Weber or Pronger (in his prime) but teams like the Hawks, Wings, Penguins and Canes all won the cup without one so I think that's not as big of an issue. We'll just have to see how Vlasic/Burns handle top comp. Maybe White/Burns become the shutdown pairing.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
We are where we are and I like where we're at heading into the season.

If you believe the reports that DW went after Vrbata and Gagne, then you know DW recognizes our lack of forward scoring depth as well and will assuredly address it at some point. Agree that it could be fatal - I think most of us fans see that given how much it's been discussed this offseason after DW made his moves.

On the shutdown issue, yes, we don't have a bonafide shutdown Dman in like Chara, Weber or Pronger (in his prime) but teams like the Hawks, Wings, Penguins and Canes all won the cup without one so I think that's not as big of an issue. We'll just have to see how Vlasic/Burns handle top comp. Maybe White/Burns become the shutdown pairing.
Wings had Lidstrom. Seabrook/Keith as a pair get pretty close to shutdown. The Pens and Canes did it with smoke and mirrors. The Pens had a bunch of guys that were close and could serve in a pinch if properly paired or matched with their appropriate forward units. BTW, I don't think Lidstrom is elite shutdown anymore; he is still elite offensively.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote