Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets Announce Hockey Ops & Training Staff

Old
08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
SaskaToba

vCash: 848
Jets Announce Hockey Ops & Training Staff

Jets Announce hockey ops & training staff, most we already know because they were in place for the draft.

Link is here:

"Ryan Bowness joins the Jets after working the previous two seasons in Atlanta and takes on the role of Manager of Hockey Operations & Team Services. Jimmy Roy, former member of the Manitoba Moose, has been hired in the role of Director of Player Development. Roy played nine seasons with the Moose in both the IHL and AHL. He is the franchiseís all-time leader in games played (603), goals (102), and penalty minutes (1,434).

The full training staff of the Winnipeg Jets includes Head Athletic Therapist Rob Milette, Assistant Athletic Therapists Brad Shaw and Lee Stubbs, Head Equipment Manager Jason McMaster, and Assistant Equipment Managers Mark Grehan and Mike Flaman. Stubbs also specializes in Strength & Conditioning for the team. Al Pritchard has also been brought on to serve as the teamís Massage Therapist. Every member of the training staff has previously worked for the Manitoba Moose in some capacity. Milette joined the Moose in 2002 and remained with the team until the end of the 2010-11 season."

Nice to see Jimmy Roy apart of the organization, he was a fan favourite for the Moose and was always giving back to the community. I remember when he played exhibition games with the Canucks he would get louder cheers than Todd Bertuzzi or the Sedin twins.

Also nice to see True North keeping their own guys that they trust.

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:23 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Sounds solid to me. I love Jimmy, though I am slightly concerned about him getting such a large role as his first gig in the front office.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
Played against Stubbs in Junior, he was like 5'6 but was a great player. Nice to see him as the asst. therapist.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Sounds solid to me. I love Jimmy, though I am slightly concerned about him getting such a large role as his first gig in the front office.
Not concerned at all. He's gonna be great with the young guys, showing them the way to make to the bigs, being their mentor and keeping them focused on the goal. All qualifies he has in spades.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I'm happy to see that the organization is coming together and we can concentrate on winning hockey games!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
After TNSE bought the Thrashers, and while they were going through the process of hiring a GM and a coach, there were a few vocal Thrasher fans who went on and on about how big of a mistake TNSE was making by not simply bringing in all the Thrasher staff (including Dudley and Ramsay).

I think it's pretty clear if you read the following article that TNSE did keep a significant portion of the Thrasher staff, and that the complaints and accusations regarding the decision making of TNSE by some Thrasher fans was pretty misguided.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/08/2...ets-operations

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
KevFist
is best pony

The argument wasn't that they should have brought over ALL the Thrashers staff... The argument was not bringing over Dudley, who's one of the more respected GMs i nthe league, and did a considerable amount with what he had in Atlanta. It's all good for him now though...He's the assistant GM with the Leafs, and I'm sure he'll be one ofthe first ones talked to when a GM job comes open.

You just gotta see what all us Thrashers fans saw when this whole thing was going down..... the Minor League GM/Minor League coach combo smacks of the Thrashers beginnings. Personally, I think the TNSE infallability line of thought is pretty misguided, but whatever...

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Huffer

Part of the talk was Dudley, but not all. There were many postings that criticized TNSE in regards to not bringing over the hockey operations staff, scouts, and even the play by play guy!

I don't think TNSE is infallible. They will make mistakes like every franchise. But they have done a very good job so far considering the amount of work that needed (and still needs) to get done, and the choices they have made so far.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
rayn30

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Played against Stubbs in Junior, he was like 5'6 but was a great player. Nice to see him as the asst. therapist.
I play beer league with Stubbs. He's lucky if he's 5'6 lol. Great guy and I'm happy for him

rayn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Part of the talk was Dudley, but not all. There were many postings that criticized TNSE in regards to not bringing over the hockey operations staff, scouts, and even the play by play guy!
I think that people just didn't want to see their team obliterated, which is quite natural.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayn30 View Post
I play beer league with Stubbs. He's lucky if he's 5'6 lol. Great guy and I'm happy for him
Does he still have sick skills? That guy lit me up pretty good in AAA. He was unreal for such a small guy. So much talent.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
rayn30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Does he still have sick skills? That guy lit me up pretty good in AAA. He was unreal for such a small guy. So much talent.
I didn't play with him last year but the year before that he had made skills. He worked with the Moose last year. A few of my friends that are closer to him said that the Moose had a 3 on 3 tourney at practice. They ask Stubbs to play because they needed a few extra bodies. Stubbs led the little tourny in scoring lol. I think he had Sergei Shirokov feeding him the puck the whole time.

rayn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Played with stubby, he's a beauty!

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

wow thats a pretty big hockey stuff. Don't know if Dudley will the first one talked too about a GM job but maybe one of the top 5.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
I didn't play with him last year but the year before that he had made skills. He worked with the Moose last year. A few of my friends that are closer to him said that the Moose had a 3 on 3 tourney at practice. They ask Stubbs to play because they needed a few extra bodies. Stubbs led the little tourny in scoring lol. I think he had Sergei Shirokov feeding him the puck the whole time.
I have no doubt he can dangle with pros. I hope the boys invite him out for a skate some time. I bet he'd make some of our Jets look silly in a no contact 3 on 3 game. Sick hands.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:26 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
The argument wasn't that they should have brought over ALL the Thrashers staff... The argument was not bringing over Dudley, who's one of the more respected GMs i nthe league, and did a considerable amount with what he had in Atlanta. It's all good for him now though...He's the assistant GM with the Leafs, and I'm sure he'll be one ofthe first ones talked to when a GM job comes open.

You just gotta see what all us Thrashers fans saw when this whole thing was going down..... the Minor League GM/Minor League coach combo smacks of the Thrashers beginnings. Personally, I think the TNSE infallability line of thought is pretty misguided, but whatever...
Fair comments and we shall see how it works out.....I really like the move to Chevy from Dudley but it is not based in what Rick did and it sounds like most Thrasher fans think Rick did a fine job. I just think it was Chevy's time and he is very ready for prime time.....I think he is a winner and gets small market Prarie town issues and that will be a big asset. Nothing against Dudley but I prefer Chevy based on his history of winning, work ethic, and IQ....he will be instrumental in establishing the culture and what type of a team we have.......I truly believe we will win with hi

Our coach is another matter?? I will pull for him but to me it's a loyalty hire and I just hope he is up for the challenge? I love TNSE but they Are loyal to a fault my hope is as time goes on Chevy pulls the pendulum back 10%

TNSE proved they could grow and run one of the classiest NHL ready AHL teams in the League. If I am being objective though I would probably have to say in 15 years in the AHL their winning % was good but they got to the finals once and didn't have any championships. I think their loyalty is really impressive and admirable but I am wondering out loud if it might not have held them back from winning a championship?

They have stepped up into the big leagues now my hopes are they keep their personality but allow Chevy to do his job and impart his culture of winning on the organization.

I am sure Rick will do fine and the fact the Thrasher faithful like him is a very positive sign.....probably a tough call but TNSE got their man

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
To refer to Cheveldayoff as just a minor league GM is insulting to the man. He spent the past 2 seasons as the Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM and was specifically hired there to come in and clean up the salary cap mess left by the now current Florida GM. Cheveldayoff has spent the past 2 seasons in a major hockey market negotiating NHL contracts and participating in daily meetings with Stan and Scotty Bowman. He was once an AHL GM, yes. He was also a very successful one at that; this is why he was promoted to an assistant NHL GM position and is why he was pegged as a future and now current NHL GM. It is not as if they hired the GM of the Gwinnett Gladiators.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
To refer to Cheveldayoff as just a minor league GM is insulting to the man. He spent the past 2 seasons as the Chicago Blackhawks assistant GM and was specifically hired there to come in and clean up the salary cap mess left by the now current Florida GM. Cheveldayoff has spent the past 2 seasons in a major hockey market negotiating NHL contracts and participating in daily meetings with Stan and Scotty Bowman. He was once an AHL GM, yes. He was also a very successful one at that; this is why he was promoted to an assistant NHL GM position and is why he was pegged as a future and now current NHL GM. It is not as if they hired the GM of the Gwinnett Gladiators.
To counter that, before he became GM of the Thrashers, Don Waddell had been assistant GM of the Detroit Red Wings and was in charge of USA Hockey. Hopefully you can see the cause for concern

Old
08-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
I remember Stubbs trying out for the Bisons and he was IIRC 5'3". Anybody remember Dale Derkatch? He was barely 5' but led the WHL in scoring. He played for the Bisons against the Jets when Hawerchuk was on the team.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
To counter that, before he became GM of the Thrashers, Don Waddell had been assistant GM of the Detroit Red Wings and was in charge of USA Hockey. Hopefully you can see the cause for concern
You do realize that most hockey ops personnel in the NHL worked their way up through the ranks, correct? To somehow attempt to draw a parallel between Cheveldayoff and Waddell is just silly. They are different people, with different backgrounds, personalities, etc. The culture and structure of the two organizations (Thrashers/Jets) couldn't be more different.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:20 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
unfortunately our team is pretty thin in talent; I suspect we'll be a lower ranked team for a few years, and this might result in our first coach not lasting long. given that, i'm hoping that our first coach or two are good "development" type coaches as opposed to motivational type coaches.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:47 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You do realize that most hockey ops personnel in the NHL worked their way up through the ranks, correct? To somehow attempt to draw a parallel between Cheveldayoff and Waddell is just silly. They are different people, with different backgrounds, personalities, etc. The culture and structure of the two organizations (Thrashers/Jets) couldn't be more different.
Really? I had no idea that people were able to work their ways up through positions into higher positions. Fact of the matter is, when Waddell was hired by TimeWarner to be the Thrashers GM, he was considered the top up-and-coming front office type in the league. Retrospect shows he wasn't, but many of the superlatives being thrown around about Cheveldayoff and TNSE were said about Waddell and TimeWarner. Nobody's saying it's going to end up the same way; we're just all a bit skeptical until we see some results. So far, you've gone through an offseason where management hasn't upgraded the team at all and a key player (Bogosian) remains unsigned going into camp.

Old
08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Really? I had no idea that people were able to work their ways up through positions into higher positions. Fact of the matter is, when Waddell was hired by TimeWarner to be the Thrashers GM, he was considered the top up-and-coming front office type in the league. Retrospect shows he wasn't, but many of the superlatives being thrown around about Cheveldayoff and TNSE were said about Waddell and TimeWarner. Nobody's saying it's going to end up the same way; we're just all a bit skeptical until we see some results. So far, you've gone through an offseason where management hasn't upgraded the team at all and a key player (Bogosian) remains unsigned going into camp.
This team is no longer the Thrashers. Your comments regarding the topic to date have seemingly assumed that past performance will dictate future results. They do have a young core group though, one that management has clearly decided not to tamper with until they see how the players perform in a market where they will now be held accountable. Why would they make tacit, significant changes until it is discerned how the core of the team will perform in a new environment? It almost sounds as if you'd prefer change just for the sake of change.

Yet they've made some minor changes, have built their own development system, have changed up the foot soldiers, brought in Fehr, etc. Also, it is not as if the season has already begun and Bogo is unsigned.

The management group should be evaluated a year or two or three down the road, not in August prior to the team having even stepped on the ice.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 08-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.