HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Erik Christensen to Phoenix

Old
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
If the return is a fifth round pick or later, or some prospect that looks like a career-AHLer, then I'd rather just hold onto Christensen. In all likelihood, he'll pick up a few points for us this year--be it in a SO, or the one out of six games where he decides to make an impact. That's likely more than can be said for whatever we get in return.

I dislike EC, but no need to get rid of him just for the sake of making a move. He's a good depth player.
Agree completely. At 1 year/900k, he won't hamstring the team's cap in the pressbox. Unless movimg him would make the team better now, or Sather could get back a potential asset, there's no point in trading him.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:34 PM
CH2

vCash: 500
Christensen for Biz Nasty

I don't care the talent disparity or anything. Biron + Avery + Biz on one team is gold.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Most of the speculation out here is either Scott Gomez or Matt Stajan. Can't see Gomez. Coyotes don't really have enough dead contract weight to balance out that deal. Stajan makes the most sense. Calgary needs to move salary and Phoenix needs some salary to get to the cap floor. EC? Meh. Doesn't really fit the Coyote mold. Maybe for a 3rd in 2013.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Trade him for a 4th rounder and lets be done with it.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Let's not. BR might miss some games and what if Stepan do a MDZ this year and fall through? If we get something we need, fine, but he's not hurting the team right now. And the extra points in the SO on top of that.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
He's a decent depth player, and can steal us a few points in the SO. He's on a cheap deal that expires after the season. Why rush to move him?

What does a fourth do for us this year, or next year, or the year after? Nothing.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
He's a decent depth player, and can steal us a few points in the SO. He's on a cheap deal that expires after the season. Why rush to move him?

What does a fourth do for us this year, or next year, or the year after? Nothing.

Ryan Callahan would like to argue that.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'm a little worried at our depth at center within the organization. Yes, on the team we technically have Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle but let's for argument's sake say Richards does miss some games and Stepan does have a bad sophomore slump. That leaves with with Anisimov, Boyle, Newbury and maybe Rupp as our center options.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
[/B]

Few things.

First off, Callahan didn't become a regular until 2008, 4 years after he was drafted...therefore, using Callahan as an example only proves 2k2 right.

Secondly, you don't trade for a 4th rounder expecting to draft a player of Callahan's calibre with it.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
[/B]

Callahan was drafted in 2004 and didnt crack the nhl until 2007, which was his point.

What does Premsyl Duben have to say on the matter?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Callahan was drafted in 2004 and didnt crack the nhl until 2007, which was his point.

What does Premsyl Duben have to say on the matter?
Nothing, but he would like to put in a request for a name change.

08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

He won't be stealing us any SO points because he won't be in our line-up....

If we sustain an injury, we have players who can shift to Center and provide more out on the ice than Christensen....

Anyone know if Christensen has to go through waivers to go back and forth from the Whale? If so, even more reason to deal him.... We already have a surplus of forwards....

Old
08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:

Because I don't see a roster spot for him. I certainly do not see him in the starting lineup, so I think it's between him and Avery for the extra forward spot. Due to cap constraints, it really does not make sense to carry two forwards. Especially when you will have guys like Weise and Newbury in the minors (let alone the possibility of a guy like Hagelin showing that he is ready later in the year). The way I see the positional top 12 forwards is as follows:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp
C: Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle
RW: Gaborik, Callahan, Zuccarello, Prust

That leaves both Avery and Christensen on the outside looking in. For Christensen to steal points in the shootout, he needs to be in the lineup. Even without Christensen (who is certainly impressive in the shootout with a 53.5% success rate on 43 attempts), the Rangers are in a very good position fielding Richards (41.7% success rate on 60 attempts), Wolski (50% success rate on 44 attempts), and Zuccarello (55.6 % success rate on 9 attempts) as the top three shooters. Barring catastrophic injuries, I don't just foresee any situation where Christensen plays regularly. So you're left with the choice of paying him and giving him an NHL roster spot (because he is not waiver exempt) or waiving him and sending him to Hartford.

Let's say the worst happens and Richards gets hurt. Christensen has shown that he is not suited for the 3rd and 4th lines. So do you want to insert Christensen into a top-6 role over Anisimov/Stepan? I certainly wouldn't. I'd rather move Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle up in the lineup and insert a guy like Newbury in as the 4th line center.

Furthermore, with our current cap situation, the only way we can carry 2 extra forwards is if Zuccarello/Erixon end up starting in the AHL. I'd rather go into camp with the comfort of enough cap space to allow us to keep both Zuccarello and Erixon in the NHL than having the comfort of Christensen as a ~14th forward. For the few games we hope he would play, it would be a much more prudent investment to get a 4th rounder for him and to use a guy like Newbury,etc. from Hartford as the second spare forward instead.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:
He won't be stealing us any SO points because he won't be in our line-up....

If we sustain an injury, we have players who can shift to Center and provide more out on the ice than Christensen....

Anyone know if Christensen has to go through waivers to go back and forth from the Whale? If so, even more reason to deal him.... We already have a surplus of forwards....
Christensen is not waiver exempt. He would definitely have to pass through waivers to be sent down, and also re-entry waivers to be recalled.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Fataldogg

Christensen should stay where he is. He is useful in a number of areas. Christensen is money in the shootout and since they've been in place has one of the highest percentages in the league. In other words, he's better than anyone on the Rangers who are guaranteed a spot. Zuc and Wolski are not two players who are a shoe-in for anything and likely a Center will be moved to wing because there's a backlog of Center's here. If you're starting line up includes something along the lines of:

Wolski/Richards/Gaborik
Dubinksy/Anisimov/Callahan
Fedotenko/Boyle/Prust
Zucc/Stepan/Rupp

Then your two extra forwards seem to be Avery and Christensen... minus what I believe could be a case where Wolski and Zucc will be bounced around frequently if unable to perform. With Prust and Rupp in the line-up, Avery is the more expendable of the two. Christensen will earn more points for us than Avery just by showing up in the shootout. He's also much more useful filling in with Gaborik and even though he didn't have his magic with Gaborik last year, he was still better with Gaborik than any of the other centers. He can also play the wing if there's an injury on the top line more so than Avery can and he was even used with Dubinsky at times too.

Certainly no guarantee that Zuccarello or Wolski even stay in the line up. No guarantee that two injury prone stars (Richards and Gaborik) stay healthy and for less than a million bucks, there's little to no cap relief. Exactly why would you get rid of him?

Take him away, Rangers miss the playoffs last year and I firmly believe that.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Christensen is not waiver exempt. He would definitely have to pass through waivers to be sent down, and also re-entry waivers to be recalled.
Thanks for confirming and agree with your post above about not carrying 2 extra forwards.... Christensen will not be in our line-up....

Old
08-27-2011, 06:59 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
If both Erixon and Zucc make the team, EC won't. We can't afford to carry 23 players if that includes Erixon and Zucc. If only one of them makes the team, then we can squeeze in an extra spare.

I'd rather trade EC for a draft pick than send him to Hartford and risk losing him for nothing. There's no guarantee that both Erixon and Zucc will make the team, but EC isn't really needed on this team. Even if he stays this year, he won't get re-signed. We might as well get something for him while we can.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Because I don't see a roster spot for him. I certainly do not see him in the starting lineup, so I think it's between him and Avery for the extra forward spot. Due to cap constraints, it really does not make sense to carry two forwards. Especially when you will have guys like Weise and Newbury in the minors (let alone the possibility of a guy like Hagelin showing that he is ready later in the year). The way I see the positional top 12 forwards is as follows:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp
C: Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle
RW: Gaborik, Callahan, Zuccarello, Prust

That leaves both Avery and Christensen on the outside looking in. For Christensen to steal points in the shootout, he needs to be in the lineup. Even without Christensen (who is certainly impressive in the shootout with a 53.5% success rate on 43 attempts), the Rangers are in a very good position fielding Richards (41.7% success rate on 60 attempts), Wolski (50% success rate on 44 attempts), and Zuccarello (55.6 % success rate on 9 attempts) as the top three shooters. Barring catastrophic injuries, I don't just foresee any situation where Christensen plays regularly. So you're left with the choice of paying him and giving him an NHL roster spot (because he is not waiver exempt) or waiving him and sending him to Hartford.

Let's say the worst happens and Richards gets hurt. Christensen has shown that he is not suited for the 3rd and 4th lines. So do you want to insert Christensen into a top-6 role over Anisimov/Stepan? I certainly wouldn't. I'd rather move Stepan, Anisimov, and Boyle up in the lineup and insert a guy like Newbury in as the 4th line center.

Furthermore, with our current cap situation, the only way we can carry 2 extra forwards is if Zuccarello/Erixon end up starting in the AHL. I'd rather go into camp with the comfort of enough cap space to allow us to keep both Zuccarello and Erixon in the NHL than having the comfort of Christensen as a ~14th forward. For the few games we hope he would play, it would be a much more prudent investment to get a 4th rounder for him and to use a guy like Newbury,etc. from Hartford as the second spare forward instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If both Erixon and Zucc make the team, EC won't. We can't afford to carry 23 players if that includes Erixon and Zucc. If only one of them makes the team, then we can squeeze in an extra spare.

I'd rather trade EC for a draft pick than send him to Hartford and risk losing him for nothing. There's no guarantee that both Erixon and Zucc will make the team, but EC isn't really needed on this team. Even if he stays this year, he won't get re-signed. We might as well get something for him while we can.
Excellently said. If there's a deal to be had - go get it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
MPJohnny5

So I take it there's zero interest here in ray Whitney?

MPJohnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
I'd take a flyer on him if the price were right.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 08:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
correct, Phoenix has zero interest in trading one of their few productive players and veteran leaders. At least not until the deadline when they can get a bounty's price for him. Especially not for EC. If he was available, you'd have to open a spot up on the LW which would probably mean Wolski or Fedetenko. I highly doubt Phoenix would be interested in either so then you are talking about trading ready to play prospects (Thomas, Valentenko, Weise, etc) and/or cheap roster players (MZA) and/or draft picks. But to stay on topic, EC will not get you spit. A small return would be nice but some feel his low cost and limited offense isn't worth losing over a small return.

Teams can have 23 players on their roster (e.g. 14 forwards, 7 d-men, 2 goalies) so other than we really didn't keep many extra players with the team, there's no reason why we can't have all our forwards w/ Avery + EC as extra and 7 d-men, including Erixon, MDZ, and Eminger.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
correct, Phoenix has zero interest in trading one of their few productive players and veteran leaders. At least not until the deadline when they can get a bounty's price for him. Especially not for EC. If he was available, you'd have to open a spot up on the LW which would probably mean Wolski or Fedetenko. I highly doubt Phoenix would be interested in either so then you are talking about trading ready to play prospects (Thomas, Valentenko, Weise, etc) and/or cheap roster players (MZA) and/or draft picks. But to stay on topic, EC will not get you spit. A small return would be nice but some feel his low cost and limited offense isn't worth losing over a small return.

Teams can have 23 players on their roster (e.g. 14 forwards, 7 d-men, 2 goalies) so other than we really didn't keep many extra players with the team, there's no reason why we can't have all our forwards w/ Avery + EC as extra and 7 d-men, including Erixon, MDZ, and Eminger.
By my count (well, CapGeek's count), that would put us about $385k over the cap. You drop MZA and we're $1.36M under, or keep MZA and drop Christensen and we're $540k under. Or get rid of Avery and keep pretty much whoever you want.

While I'd still prefer to not give him away for nothing, you guys have started to sway me on moving him. I guess I'm just still frightened by the injuries last year and don't want to have to rely on Kolarik, Weise, Newbury, Mitchell et al to fill in for us.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'd take a flyer on him if the price were right.
one player i wouldnt mind taken a flyer on is Sergei Samsonov

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
one player i wouldnt mind taken a flyer on is Sergei Samsonov
Training camp invite couldn't hurt

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Crist is very valuable in shootouts. Too bad we don't know in advance which games will go to one.

ie - spare forward who'll sit in the press box most nights

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote