HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob, Larry & Monsieur Serge

Old
08-28-2011, 12:28 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Bob, Larry & Monsieur Serge

Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson to me are two men who symbolized and embodied the values of the CH-- gifted, intelligent, leaders, bilingual, level headed and sophisticated men.

Looking over the stats, it's clear that Big Bird had the offensive knack with his nearly 1000 points and all. Gainey on the other hand was known for his heroic leadership -- leading his team to a stanely cup with two separated shoulders, as 1 example.

I was too young to really appreciate either one in their prime...

So I am curious, if you had to pick 1 on your team, who would it be? (yes, I know they played different positions).

I'm sure it be Larry, but there is something so stoic about Bob.

coolasprICE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Bob Gainey who is for me of the race of the great Captains like Beliveau, Messier and Yzerman that comes around once every 20 years or so.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:22 AM
shutehinside

Robinson. Tough call but a big, physical, offensive puck moving forward is worth more to me than Gainey, as good as he was. Robinson was the complete package on defense and the type of player you build your team around these days.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Is this a serious question? No disrespect to Gainey , but I would seriously take 1 Larry Robinson ahead of 2 Bob Gaineys.

Robinson is a top 10 all-time defenseman and you ask who would we take between him and a defensive forward.I would take Robinson ahead of a lots of superior forward than Gainey.

The closest thing to Gainey is who? Guy Carbonneau? while the closest thing to Robinson is probably Denis Potvin , not exactly a tough call.

Last edited by Jafar: 08-28-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:40 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I would take Larry over any other player in Habs history, save for maybe Béliveau. I am not a Francophone though, so Richard isn't really a hero to me or anything.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I would take Larry over any other player in Habs history, save for maybe Béliveau. I am not a Francophone though, so Richard isn't really a hero to me or anything.
Robinson is my favorite habs of all-time with Roy and Lafleur , but you have to take Harvey if you choose a defenseman.His resume is just superior.

Old
08-28-2011, 08:21 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Bob Gainey and Larry Robinson to me are two men who symbolized and embodied the values of the CH-- gifted, intelligent, leaders, bilingual, level headed and sophisticated men.

Looking over the stats, it's clear that Big Bird had the offensive knack with his nearly 1000 points and all. Gainey on the other hand was known for his heroic leadership -- leading his team to a stanely cup with two separated shoulders, as 1 example.

I was too young to really appreciate either one in their prime...

So I am curious, if you had to pick 1 on your team, who would it be? (yes, I know they played different positions).

I'm sure it be Larry, but there is something so stoic about Bob.
I loved Bob Gainey, and would take him on any Team Canada team in his prime.

But Larry Robinson makes an all-time best NHL team.

This isn't really close, and it's no disrespect to Gainey.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:30 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Robinson is my favorite habs of all-time with Roy and Lafleur , but you have to take Harvey if you choose a defenseman.His resume is just superior.
Serge Savard. We always forget the Serge.

The guy broke both his legs young. Bad ****, really bad. And he just adjusted and kept playing.

I'm not kidding when I say he was near Orr level before this happened.

Ask around, you'll hear a lot of guys who know better than me say the same thing.

Serge was the Man. Larry was a Titan of course. Serge was better. When Serge was skating it out, you cracked a brew and sat back, because the puck was coming out of our zone, every time. I mean every bloody time.

Let's not go overboard, or hell, why not, let's: There's a certain young guy on the Habs D right now who reminds me a lot of Serge. Including the Serge Spinerama. We'll see but I ain't seen nothing like it since Serge Savard the Man.

You want my favorite though, in my time: Lemaire. Absolutely wicked shot, wicked one timer, perfect perfect passes, and just a brilliant player. Never made mistakes, never. Just ask Flower.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:37 AM
MrRoundtree

Robinson is one of the most intimadating defensemen I have ever seen, he's fast too and has good offensive instincts.

Robinson for me.

MrRoundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post

The guy broke both his legs young. Bad ****, really bad. And he just adjusted and kept playing.

Ask around, you'll hear a lot of guys who know better than me say the same thing.

Serge was the Man. Larry was a Titan of course. Serge was better. When Serge was skating it out, you cracked a brew and sat back, because the puck was coming out of our zone, every time. I mean every bloody time.

Let's not go overboard, or hell, why not, let's: There's a certain young guy on the Habs D right now who reminds me a lot of Serge. Including the Serge Spinerama. We'll see but I ain't seen nothing like it since Serge Savard the Man.

You want my favorite though, in my time: Lemaire. Absolutely wicked shot, wicked one timer, perfect perfect passes, and just a brilliant player. Never made mistakes, never. Just ask Flower.
Gill?

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:44 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
Gill?
Hee Hee You guessed it bud! A Pint for you!

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Gainey, for me.

He was one of, if not the best shut-down, two-way forwards in the game at that time.

Old
08-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
I don't forget Savard , Robinson-Savard is probably the greatest pairing in the history of the game , but Robinson had a better career than Savard.I might even take Lapointe ahead of Savard , but I like all three of them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Gainey, for me.

He was one of, if not the best shut-down, two-way forwards in the game at that time.
yeah but Robinson was one of , if not the best defenseman in the game at that time , so you're saying you value defensive forward ahead of a n1 defenseman?

Old
08-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
yeah but Robinson was one of , if not the best defenseman in the game at that time , so you're saying you value defensive forward ahead of a n1 defenseman?
It's very close between the two, but yes I have to go with Gainey.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Savard was/is soooo under-rated. Brilliant post!

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
CTHabsfan

As good as Gainey was, I would definitely take Robinson. Larry was great offensively and defensively, in addition to being one of toughest, if not the toughest, players of his era.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
It is true that Harvey has a great resume but he is very overrated.

Harvey was undersized and a very average skater. A big part of his success was that he helped break the mold of traditional d-man responsibilities.

Harvey played on great teams where he was allowed to take offensive chances that had never been seen before.

If Robinson and Harvey played in today's NHL, Robinson would be the superior player. Harvey was still a great d-man but was a huge beneficiary of opportunity, timing and circumstance.

Old
08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Outside Serge Savards family I don't know where you'd "ask around" and find many who think Serge was better than Robinson. Larry was a once in a lifetime player, I certainly don't expect to ever again see another one of that calibre. Outside of Lafleur's rushes there weren't many things more exciting to watch than Larry - whether he was in an end-to-end rush, dishing out a bone crushing open ice hit or destroying someone in a fight. Larry was one of those few players that raised you out of your seat when the time required it.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
29dryden29

Ok just a quick question...

DO I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO PICK JUST ONE ugh

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Outside Serge Savards family I don't know where you'd "ask around" and find many who think Serge was better than Robinson. Larry was a once in a lifetime player, I certainly don't expect to ever again see another one of that calibre. Outside of Lafleur's rushes there weren't many things more exciting to watch than Larry - whether he was in an end-to-end rush, dishing out a bone crushing open ice hit or destroying someone in a fight. Larry was one of those few players that raised you out of your seat when the time required it.
Robinson was also prone to the odd braincramp whereas Savard was like Fort Knox when he had the puck.

It is true that Robinson played a more exciting style but I always felt the safest when Savard had the puck.

Savard had elite skills and would have put up many more points if Robinson and Lapointe weren't there.

Kinda of hard to compare the two but their value to that particular team is alot closer than the casual fan tends to realize.

Old
08-28-2011, 07:10 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:

thx I never realize this, so I called my stepdad

It was an interesting phone call, I didn't want to bias him so I asked him when at what point did he start watching hockey regularly on tv instead of the radio. It was in the mid 60's.

So I asked him if he thought Savard was better than Robinson and I never heard such a devout Habs fan speak so highly of someone, in his opinion it wasn't even close, Savard was significantly better, he talked about how Savard wasn't flashy like Robinson but you could always count on him, he talked about his shot, then when he talked about him on the PP, it almost sounded as if he was having an orgasm in his mind.

He mentioned alsohow Robinson was prone to gaffes and errors. Keep in mind, he was a big - big bird fan in my eyes my whole life, I seen a bit of Robinsonand thought he was awesome, .

Needless to say, I respect his opinion and I now believe Savard was better.

I wish we could sit and watch old games from back then. I'd rather pay $10 to see a game from 1970 instead of this week's #1 movie.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
thx I never realize this, so I called my stepdad

It was an interesting phone call, I didn't want to bias him so I asked him when at what point did he start watching hockey regularly on tv instead of the radio. It was in the mid 60's.

So I asked him if he thought Savard was better than Robinson and I never heard such a devout Habs fan speak so highly of someone, in his opinion it wasn't even close, Savard was significantly better, he talked about how Savard wasn't flashy like Robinson but you could always count on him, he talked about his shot, then when he talked about him on the PP, it almost sounded as if he was having an orgasm in his mind.

He mentioned alsohow Robinson was prone to gaffes and errors. Keep in mind, he was a big - big bird fan in my eyes my whole life, I seen a bit of Robinsonand thought he was awesome, .

Needless to say, I respect his opinion and I now believe Savard was better.

I wish we could sit and watch old games from back then. I'd rather pay $10 to see a game from 1970 instead of this week's #1 movie.
Interesting, but take a moment and do a youtube search on Robinson. Robinson was more than a star. There is no d-man in the history of the game that combined offensive ability with his toughness and leadership. He was intimidating to a level that put him in a group with only Denis Potvin and Scott Stevens, those are guys that were skilled, nasty, and ALWAYS in the mind of the opposition.

Having seen all play in their primes I would argue for Robinson being in a larger conversation about the best *overall* defenseman of all time.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

Having seen all play in their primes I would argue for Robinson being in a larger conversation about the best *overall* defenseman of all time.
I've watched Robinson and I love him and what he brought, I don't deny that, I'm sorry I came across negatively in that regard.

You seen Savard in his prime and before he broke his legs? Can you share your opinion of his game please.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:18 PM
SonOfA BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I loved Bob Gainey, and would take him on any Team Canada team in his prime.

But Larry Robinson makes an all-time best NHL team.

This isn't really close, and it's no disrespect to Gainey.
I read this thinking it was exactly the type of comment my father would make. Then I saw who posted it...

Quote:

This is true. He changed his style a couple of times over his career due to injuries. Also, his contribution to the league changing the nets will never be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Robinson was also prone to the odd braincramp whereas Savard was like Fort Knox when he had the puck.
Considering his career +/-, I am sure we can forgive Robinson's occasional mistake. NO athlete (or human being for that matter) is perfect.

SonOfA BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:33 PM
LePoche69

Serge Savard
Jean Beliveau
Ken Dryden
Doug Jarvis (not bilingual, tho.)
Bobby Smith
...and others...

also all fit with the Habs' values listed in the first post.

And I would say that, like him or not, Rejean Houle could be added...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote