HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yuri Alexandrov has inked a contract with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.

Old
08-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

vCash: 500
this is good we had too manys players going for prov d and this lets our other prospects get more ice time better for thier development

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Indeed. This whole thing compelled me to look at the 06 draft and who we could have had instead of Yuri, and some of the sting is lessened in that there weren't all that many late round gems that year, at least who have panned out thus far. Some good, solid players for sure, but no stars or anything.

Some of the notable names who were drafted after Yuri:
Lucic and Marchand of course
Kulemin
Matthias
Enroth
Anisimov
Mike Weber
Ryan White
Steve Mason
Clutterbuck
Reimer
Stalberg

Edit:
You could pretty easily make the argument that when the Bruins went to pick at 37, even with that pick being a wash, they still left the draft with the top 2 players available from 37 on. Pretty impressive.
Yeah, it was a pretty top heavy draft and the Bruins found 2 of the biggest gems in Lucic and Marchand, plus made good with taking Kessel at pick 5. There probably isn't a team in the league that did better for themselves at teh draft than Boston in 2006. 2007 is a whole other story but I guess you can't win them all.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
roaddogg02316

Figures, didn't it take a while to get him to even come to NA? Oh well, let him go, frees up space for guys who want to make it to the next level.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 View Post
Figures, didn't it take a while to get him to even come to NA? Oh well, let him go, frees up space for guys who want to make it to the next level.
For the record, no, he came the first year he was eligible.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:29 PM
SPLBRUIN

I think Alexandrov realized that the odds were stacked against him in terms of making the Bruins this year or next so he made a business decision to go back home and take the money, can't say I blame the kid.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
He hasn't proved he can't play in the NHL. He might be hinting he won't play though. That being the case I can't say it was a bad pick.
A stringbean Russian who plays an up-tempo game from the blueline is a risky pick in this organization. It's a bad pick even if he were good enough next year to play in the NHL as a fringe player just because Russians always have that KHL card they can (and increasingly, do) play. Back in 2006, it wasn't quite as risky as it is now, but if I recall correctly, there was no transfer agreement at that time either.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:38 PM
rcduthie77

Liked Yuri quite a bit in terms of skating and skill but he just doesn't have the drive to use it. Part of it is his conditioning, he pretty much regressed in that aspect.

Hope the Bruins keep tabs on him. Let him play in the KHL, 2nd best league on the planet right now, and see how goes over there. If he ever shows that his conditioning comes up to par and he can hold proper weight to his frame then bring him back over.

Other issue here was defence went from a position of need to a logjam and Yuri will make more money in the KHL then sitting in Providence waiting for an opportunity.

Good to see he's going to a top team and he will make SKA much more fun to watch.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:47 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduthie77 View Post
Liked Yuri quite a bit in terms of skating and skill but he just doesn't have the drive to use it. Part of it is his conditioning, he pretty much regressed in that aspect.

Hope the Bruins keep tabs on him. Let him play in the KHL, 2nd best league on the planet right now, and see how goes over there. If he ever shows that his conditioning comes up to par and he can hold proper weight to his frame then bring him back over.

Other issue here was defence went from a position of need to a logjam and Yuri will make more money in the KHL then sitting in Providence waiting for an opportunity.

Good to see he's going to a top team and he will make SKA much more fun to watch.
Can you actually watch them? Totally serious question, BTW.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 View Post
let him go, frees up space for guys who want to make it to the next level.
What "guys"?

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:12 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
What "guys"?
Since it's a two-year contract, Cross and Warsofsky are two names. I might be one of the few fans Tommy Cross still has, but I believe he has the highest ceiling of any Bruins blueline prospect outside of Hamilton.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
I have no idea if you can via computer or that sort of thing, but a couple of friends of mine went to Russia and caught a good half-dozen games season before last. They had a fantastic time.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:28 PM
EasternConferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
Definitely can! It's a little tricky sometimes. I've had good luck watching games via this site:
http://www.hockey-world.net/online-translation

It looks sketchy, but it works. The left-hand column in teal reads "upcoming broadcasts" of which there are currently two (preseason events/cups and all). Trinec and Lev Poprad (the new KHL team) and then Kosice v. CSKA Moscow tomorrow, for example. Start-times are generally Moscow-time. A quick Google translate could help navigating around! And webcasts start 10 minutes before games.

EasternConferences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternConferences View Post
Definitely can! It's a little tricky sometimes. I've had good luck watching games via this site:
http://www.hockey-world.net/online-translation

It looks sketchy, but it works. The left-hand column in teal reads "upcoming broadcasts" of which there are currently two (preseason events/cups and all). Trinec and Lev Poprad (the new KHL team) and then Kosice v. CSKA Moscow tomorrow, for example. Start-times are generally Moscow-time. A quick Google translate could help navigating around! And webcasts start 10 minutes before games.
Cool! Thanks!

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Zine

Dumb move development wise.

I don't see Alexandrov being more than a 7-8 defenseman on SKA.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:08 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Still reading here with passion and popped into to say this:

As others have said, and like I said yesterday elsewhere, wait for the official Bruins announcement. This could be done with the blessing of the Bruins (and who knows, maybe even orchestrated by them).

There is more at issue here than the guy just going back to Russia. Case in point. It removes a contract from the Bruins 50 contract maximum allowed. They were already sitting at 47 with Bartkowski and Marchand left to sign that would have put them at 49 and very limited wiggle room come trade deadline day (or any other time for that matter). They are now at 46 and doesn't force Marc Savard to make an immediate decision or force the Bruins into making him make a decision.

I'm indifferent on Alexandrov so it doesn't matter to me. I just hate seeing a guy dumped on when we don't even know all the facts yet.

Carry on

Oh, and from how I understand the agreement between the NHL and KHL, Alexandrov couldn't have signed with the KHL without the Bruins permission. Like I said, for all we know they could have orchestrated it. Something we may never know.
what a sight for sore eyes

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
Maybe he can play of the defect line with Zinoviev and Soderberg
Zinoviev was the guy that could really play.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:09 AM
ODAAT

I`ve had a few days to think about this. Originally I did what I do far too often, react the second I hear news of anything Bruins, completely discounting any and all reason why this or anything else potentially has taken place.

It has been suggested by many here and I now tend to agree that this could have realistically been somewhat orchestrated by Chia. I am not truly confident that a move like this is a positive step forward for him as far as future NHL career but if Chia and Co. felt he`s a top notch prospect, wouldn`t there have been a much different approach to where he plays?

I was on the Bruins official website and I couldn`t find a mention of the whole scenario which I thought was both strange and potentially indicitative of how the brass feels about the kid.

Who knows where this will all go, good thing Chia has a baseball teams worth of D going to camp. It`s still strange but I`m far less convinced this was yet another case of a homesick kid who couldn`t hack the NA game as I originally thought.

OOG pointed out (and he is definitely one poster who has far more inside knowledge than most here) this couldn`t happen without the B`s signing off on it so....I`ll cut the kid a touch of slack

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Still reading here with passion and popped into to say this:

As others have said, and like I said yesterday elsewhere, wait for the official Bruins announcement. This could be done with the blessing of the Bruins (and who knows, maybe even orchestrated by them).

There is more at issue here than the guy just going back to Russia. Case in point. It removes a contract from the Bruins 50 contract maximum allowed. They were already sitting at 47 with Bartkowski and Marchand left to sign that would have put them at 49 and very limited wiggle room come trade deadline day (or any other time for that matter). They are now at 46 and doesn't force Marc Savard to make an immediate decision or force the Bruins into making him make a decision.

I'm indifferent on Alexandrov so it doesn't matter to me. I just hate seeing a guy dumped on when we don't even know all the facts yet.

Carry on

Oh, and from how I understand the agreement between the NHL and KHL, Alexandrov couldn't have signed with the KHL without the Bruins permission. Like I said, for all we know they could have orchestrated it. Something we may never know.
Thanks for the info. As always, it is greatly appreciated.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Isn't Cross an 8th year senior? How old is he? He's older than Frank the Tank IIRC...
Actually, Tommy Cross is in his fourth year at BC, completing his degree in normal time.

He did spend a year post secondary to prepare for the acedemic demands the university sets. He's still only twenty one.

I believe he will be in a good position this year: a great coach in Jerry York, a chance at a third NCAA Championship, and a Captain, to boot.

Last edited by Ratty: 08-28-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 04:06 PM
ska8ter8808

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
OOG, I was also under the impression that if/when Knight and/or Spooner are returned to their junior teams that those contracts also come off the contract limit number. In which case, with those 2 & Alexandrov going back to Russia, the Bruins would be at 44. And I don't see any real need to re-sign Bodnarchuk (I guess just because he's friends with Marchand?) I don't see enough development from him to take ice away from new guys like Button, Warsofsky & Cantin.

I don't think the contract limit will be an issue at all, personally.
Well they still do, a contract is a contract. A team is allowed 50 players under contract no matter where they play and I believe 80 players in total (signed and not signed)

ska8ter8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:14 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska8ter8808 View Post
Well they still do, a contract is a contract. A team is allowed 50 players under contract no matter where they play and I believe 80 players in total (signed and not signed)
Wrong.

18 and 19 year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract limit until they have played 11 NHL games.

And it's 90 players total, I believe.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Wrong.

18 and 19 year-old players assigned to their team in the CHL do not count against the 50-contract limit until they have played 11 NHL games.

And it's 90 players total, I believe.
nycbruins is correct.

Here's a useful one-pager with all of the roster rules/reqts

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=430807

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I read in russian media that it's a mutual agreement b's - Alexandrov.

I don't see why he would go to ska which is a huge scandal in Russia already, as his rights were supposed to belong to Severstal. The guy came from a first line on the KHL team to AHL gave it a year, figured he's not in the plans to be a top6 player on the b's and **mutually** with the B's agreed to go play home. The year in the AHL also cost him a tone of money lost, let's not jump the gun and blame the kids here, it's not smart at the least.

cska78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I mean very little by this, but that Bruins scouting group we love to talk so much about took Alexandrov 13 points higher than Lucic. And yes, I know Lucic was projected as a third-rounder, my points are just that the draft is such a crapshoot and the best you can hope for is that "bad" picks like Alexandrov get balanced by lucky later picks.
I thought it was a bad pick for several reasons:

1. the transfer agreement at the time was a mess

2. His lack of English and his seemingly lack of wanting to learn English

3. Russia (proper not the former republics) haven't been producing good or even serviceable denfensmen in recent years. There were a whooping seven D men from Russia in the league last year:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary
Tyutin,Gonchar,Kulikov, Nikitin, Volchenkov,Markov,Zubarev

4. The B's track record with Russians speaks for itself

With all those factors already working against YA to me it was a bad move for the B's to pick him

Last edited by Lost Horizons: 08-29-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:02 AM
misterjaggers

Looking ahead, if we're going to draft players that don't speak a word of English, then we damn well better have another player on the roster willing to translate and mentor the guy.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote