HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Multi-Talented Athletes?

Old
08-27-2011, 11:17 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Multi-Talented Athletes?

I'm just curious here... how are you guys and gals at other sports?

I know that the skill range here varies from a few people who could probably make the big league/have played professional hockey to people who are just lacing up the skates for the first time.

So... what other sports do you all play besides hockey, and how good are you? Is hockey your primary sport? Is it your best sport?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:14 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Hockey's really the only sport I play on any sort of regular basis. I'm decent at soccer or ultimate, can manage pretty well in football (though I've never played a real game at any level- we're talking friendly touch or flag), and am not horrible at baseball variants.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:44 AM
eXplosivecamel

I play hockey, along with soccer and volleyball. Plus I also have a blackbelt in Karate.

eXplosivecamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 02:27 PM
SJGoalie32

I started out playing Little League baseball which is how I developed my quick reflexes, good hand-eye coordination, and great glove hand.....and eventually decided to apply those talents to goaltending, with much success.

I was a good baseball player (field and basepaths), unfortunately I wasn't a good enough hitter to continue on through my teenage HS years. Still, I went back to playing baseball in an adult amateur baseball league after college. I also played basketball in HS, rec league soccer as an adult, played intramural softball & flag football in college, and ran track in HS. So I've pretty much played a lot of sports, I pick up new sports very quickly, and I'm usually pretty competent to very good at whatever sport I play.

My biggest strengths are speed and hand-eye coordination....traits which tend to translate well to almost all team sports. When you're faster than almost everybody else, it almost doesn't matter what you play or how good you are at it, you always have that much more time and space to make a play, catch a ball, defend an opponent, or get away from one.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 04:15 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

I started playing hockey when I was 17 and I'll be turning 20 in September. I wear an A on a house league roller team in the second to lowest division, and I've played as high as the second highest division on a random squad but not with much success. I usually post 5 goals and 5 assists in 10 games on the lower team. The higher team I think I finished with 3 goals and 2 assists. I suck at hockey.

In baseball I played at a high level. I was on our local Williamsport team but we were knocked out in the counties I believe. I left the team a few years after because of stuff with the coach and then the team went on to win the LLWS for their age group (I think it was the Babe Ruth bracket), woops. I joined the Long Island Duck's (a professional team not affiliated with the MLB) junior team for my age and played one season there before burning out of baseball. Baseball is such a dull sport and playing it all year around for 8 years sucked. My last ever at bat was a single off a kid that touched 86, and he was just a sophomore as well. Damn steroids.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Finnish your Czech
I love Olli Jokinen

vCash: 50
I consider myself good at both hockey and chess

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm terrible at all sports. It's taken years to get the point that I'm decent at hockey.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:59 PM
trukweaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I'm just curious here... how are you guys and gals at other sports?

I know that the skill range here varies from a few people who could probably make the big league/have played professional hockey to people who are just lacing up the skates for the first time.

So... what other sports do you all play besides hockey, and how good are you? Is hockey your primary sport? Is it your best sport?
I came from a high level in endurance sports (raced elite as a cyclist and qualified for a Pro card in triathlon). I am new to hockey (1 year) at 40 but do think the high level of fitness has helped. I am also a student of sports so I tend to PRACTICE a lot and have made pretty solid gains in a short time.

trukweaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

I played baseball and football in a league from when I was 5 up until high school. Unfortunately there's a lot of politics that go into my high school's sports teams and the coach's are known for playing favorites so I didn't bother with it.

I played catcher in baseball so I actually got into hockey by playing goalie in pickup games with my buddies. I played O and D line in football, and was a pretty good defender in soccer. Found out later that through all the years of soccer I actually picked up some good offensive skills and I just had never really tried to pull them off before... sadly I had already quit for a few years when I found that out

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:56 AM
KareyPrice

Unreal at hockey and play rep football so im pretty good there lol

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:02 AM
predfan24

Didn't play real organized hockey until I was 19. Grew up playing Baseball and Basketball. Despite the fact I've been playing hockey for 5 years now and put a lot of effort into it I will never be anywhere as good as I was at Baseball and Basketball, specifically baseball where I was a top player in my area until 14,15 years old. I routinely played on the same teams and against David Price(Tampa Bay Rays #1 overall pick back in 07) Was pretty good friends with him as well until he blew up big time at Vanderbilt and the Majors.

I think it's hard to get really good at a sport if you didn't receive proper instruction as a youngster. While I am a very athletic person and have made myself into a pretty good hockey player at the intermediate level I will never be anything great.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:04 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm primarily a hockey player, played Juniour A. However, I started hockey late as my parents didn't really want me playing hockey (I'm Chinese, my parents aren't exactly giant people, and I guess they assumed I'd end up being on the smaller side as well). When I was younger I played a lot of badminton, and was a very high level comeptitive swimmer, also got a blackbelt in Karate (though the Karate I did was plenty worthless). I did MMA for a few years as well, but am currently training strictly in muay Thai, although I want to start judo or wrestling.

Unfortunately, as a result of the sports I played my actual hand-eye coordination is pretty terrible in terms of catching things. I'm pretty terrible when it comes to football for example, although I can tip a slapshot away from the net with ease (I was a defensemen).

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
ponder

I'm decent at hockey, not a Junior A player or anything like that but my competitive peak was a solid high school hockey player in Toronto (team captain, but not the best player on the team, and we weren't a very good team either). Other than hockey I didn't play anything else very competitively, but I'm a pretty decent snowboarder (can handle myself in the backcountry, not a total embarrassment in the park), and am serviceable at basketball, football, volleyball, soccer and ultimate frisbee. The only sports I occasionally play that I'd say I legitimately suck at are golf and baseball.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:20 AM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

Chess and Scrabble.

I know, I'm a ****ing superstar, right?

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

I once scored 5 goals in a soccer game once and scored in every single game for my soccer team

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Pog Form

Multi-talented? Noobman, you saw me play... I'm not even that good at hockey!

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
WithOutPaperss

I'm average at every sport. I'm not the best in my area, but I'm not the worst. I play hockey, golf, soccer, and also some Tennis (I'm bad at Tennis though).

Reason I play many sports, and why others may not, is that I only have half the year to play Golf, so I try to play it as much as I can, and don't really have anyway of playing hockey in summer.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
I joined the Long Island Duck's
I know of the Ducks... as I'm an AVID Camden Riversharks fan... attend just about every game and overall have a blast...

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:21 PM
OpenIceHit42

I've played hockey since I was 4 and still play to this day (I'm 25). I played baseball from the time I was 7 until I graduated high school.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:26 PM
noobman

I guess I never answered this question! I have very little athletic ability.

Most of my friends are basketball players, so I'm forced to hold my own. Thankfully I'm also the tallest of my basketball playing friends, so I can compensate for my lack of a shot with good "dekes" (apparently they have some other word for it in basketball) thanks to a fairly long reach and pure hustle + domination under the net. Keep in mind though that these guys only play pickup b-ball about once a week or so. Before I started hockey I played a fair bit of soccer, and was at one point able to play select level as a D-man, although an accumulation of knee problems, lack of serious working out, and a crap diet have zapped my running abilities.

Last edited by noobman: 08-30-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
I have played hockey all my life, at a local league level (I could play rep but don't want to)

Fastball from age 10 until 16, now I am a respectable beer league slowpitch player at age 17

I run cross country, track and summer races. My race distance is usually 7k-10k. I have only ever ran one 10k race and my time was around 41:00min.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Stick To Your Guns

Still playing Jr. Football in Canada, 3rd best behind CFL and CIS. Was always good in hockey, but once it became non contact I had to revamp my game.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:40 PM
saskfarmboy
That's pretty neat!

I'm decent at lacrosse, but be no means an all-star

saskfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I am multi-talented in hockey. I can play any position, forward, defense, or goalie. I'm actually moving back to goalie this session to get a good feel for it again.

I am a decent soccer player, better at softball/baseball. If I had to pick a sport I was best at behind hockey it would probably be lacrosse.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:52 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfarmboy View Post
I'm decent at lacrosse, but be no means an all-star
Seems like a lot of good hockey guys are pretty good lacrosse players too. Lots of similarities I hear.

I've played maybe four times in my lifetime, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to win a faceoff. I also have a tendency of nailing my teammates in the face when I try to make short passes.

With that being said, we played some kind of weird endzone lacrosse instead of playing with goalies.