HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[THE INSTIGATOR] Open letter to Geoff Molson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2011, 02:01 PM
  #101
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Oh I see. We need to own a team to have an opinion now, and to voice our displeasure with the system currently in place?
If I ever did become a bajillionaire buying and even possibly moving a team would be one of my top things I'd want to do. Obviously could lose a lot of money but if it succeeds it sounds worth it and if people are going to buy into the NHL now is the time. I don't see hockey getting smaller I just see hockey succeeding more in certain areas. Maybe bring a team back to Quebec City or Hartford

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
  #102
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Players in bold are either not Quebecois or total scrubs that should'nt be on your list.
True that Bissonnette is from Ontario. My bad.

Who fits what category in your opinion?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:03 PM
  #103
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
True that Bissonnette is from Ontario. My bad.

Who fits what category in your opinion?
Stastny: Born Dec 27 1985 -- Quebec City, PQ

What is he anglo or something? He's born here.

Pouliot isn't a Quebecois even though his entire family is francophone and he lives just on the border of Quebec /rolleyes.

And Boullion? He's an American boy from NYC

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
  #104
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
True that Bissonnette is from Ontario. My bad.

Who fits what category in your opinion?
Veilleux haha and well for Stastny he is born here, because his father was playing for the Nords, but he his american. It's like saying Heatley is german or Regehr brazilian.

Also nice article alot here think asking for more Quebecois on the Habs is stupid...I don't so, because IMO it's not important (in the sense that the team can win with it or not) but it's just more fun, so why not(and especially for kids).

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  #105
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Stastny: Born Dec 27 1985 -- Quebec City, PQ

What is he anglo or something? He's born here.

Pouliot isn't a Quebecois even though his entire family is francophone and he lives just on the border of Quebec /rolleyes.

And Boullion? He's an American boy from NYC
Not sure what you're saying here... Stastny is on that list. Pouliot is not. While born in NY, Bouillon was raised in Quebec, so I consider him a local product. If we have to trip in the flowers in the carpet, so be it. I won't.

Forseed highlighted Bissonnette, Veilleux and Stastny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Players in bold are either not Quebecois or total scrubs that should'nt be on your list.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM
  #106
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Not sure what you're saying here... Stastny is on that list. Pouliot is not. While born in NY, Bouillon was raised in Quebec, so I consider him a local product. If we have to trip in the flowers in the carpet, so be it. I won't.

Forseed highlighted Bissonnette, Veilleux and Stastny.
Just saying, we can sit here all day and argue about who is from where or who is or isn't a Quebecois. That isn't relevant, the rest of the article is what's relevant.

If we could have some young talented guys like say if Leblanc developed into one I'd be happy with it.

Like your article says though it's more about the right fit not just any Quebecois player. Would love to have somebody like Patrice Bergeron though

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
  #107
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,963
vCash: 50
Awards:
I wouldn't call Paul Stastny a local player. Sure he was born here, but he spent the majority of his life in the States, attending school and playing hockey there. Plus, by blood he's pure Slovak by both his parents.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:34 PM
  #108
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
While I understand that we could have a long debate on who should and should not be considered a local player or not, it is certainly not the key topic of the blog, or the goal anyway.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  #109
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,264
vCash: 500
It's tiresome. However, it's worth noting that not a single Québécois is to be found among the top 10 players on the Habs. The same could be said of quite a few other NHL teams. I can see gambling on a talented player despite an injury history or small size but IMO it's irrational to gamble on a player for the sake of ethnic purity.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:30 PM
  #110
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
What came first? The chicken or the egg? Are there not many local players on the Canadiens' roster because talent is dim or is talent dim because there aren't many local players in Montreal?

I do believe that the Habs can help Hockey Quebec but they need to help themselves. Listen to what Bob Nicholson is saying and you'll have more players from the Q at every level. I'm convinced of that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:42 PM
  #111
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
I'd rather have some dude from Torontuh who bleeds bleu blanc rouge and has talent up the ying yang, rather than some little **** who is either a Habs hater (PBergeron and others) or doesn't even want to come here because they lack the gonads to do so.

Square off half the list because of those two reasons.

Then there a good load of them who've actually played for the Habs.


And then there's guys like Huberdeau who'd I really see in a Habs jersey but got drafted waaay too high for us to draft him and many other cases like that (Lecavalier), but I'm not gonna be pissed because we actually do have Beaulieu instead, who is also talented. No matter if the dude is English, he has French-Queb descent/blood...

The only actual Quebecers I'm pissed we didn't get are Vlasic and Letang. But hey, we passed on Letang, and drafted super commited training machine Latendresse. And Vlasic well, he was too high for 2nd pick for us to grab and too low in the first to even consider passing on other players to draft him, considering we had the 5th pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
What came first? The chicken or the egg? Are there not many local players on the Canadiens' roster because talent is dim or is talent dim because there aren't many local players in Montreal?

I do believe that the Habs can help Hockey Quebec but they need to help themselves. Listen to what Bob Nicholson is saying and you'll have more players from the Q at every level. I'm convinced of that.
Poor catch phrase.

And the answer is the single cell organism.

In relative terms, the chicken ancestor. Laying an egg was only a genetic adaptation for reproduction. Quite probably, the genetic adaptation occured long before what a chicken looks like it does today. Even before it's reptilian ancestry.

And the same way there is an answer to the chicken and egg question, there is also an answer to the other question.

Actually, like the chicken and egg, the answer lies elsewhere than your imposed dichotomy, and is related too many more complex factors than what people want to admit.

This dichotomy of yours only serves the ever so boring and predictable paradigm of blaming the Habs.


Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 08-27-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Merged
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:18 PM
  #112
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Poor catch phrase.

And the answer is the single cell organism.

In relative terms, the chicken ancestor. Laying an egg was only a genetic adaptation for reproduction. Quite probably, the genetic adaptation occured long before what a chicken looks like it does today. Even before it's reptilian ancestry.

And the same way there is an answer to the chicken and egg question, there is also an answer to the other question.

Actually, like the chicken and egg, the answer lies elsewhere than your imposed dichotomy, and is related too many more complex factors than what people want to admit.

This dichotomy of yours only serves the ever so boring and predictable paradigm of blaming the Habs.
So I take it you liked the blog?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
  #113
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,480
vCash: 243
Excellent article! I'll post some questions later but some good insight, I also liked how you related what it was like for you growing up in Quebec.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 07:33 PM
  #114
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
So I take it you liked the blog?
I was responding to your quote in this thread, not your blog.

As for the blog, I don't agree on the importance of local talents, that much is obvious, but the reasons I have for it are way too long to enumerate and debate that with you. Just agree to disagree.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 10:41 PM
  #115
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'd rather have some dude from Torontuh who bleeds bleu blanc rouge and has talent up the ying yang, rather than some little **** who is either a Habs hater (PBergeron and others) or doesn't even want to come here because they lack the gonads to do so.

Square off half the list because of those two reasons.

Then there a good load of them who've actually played for the Habs.


And then there's guys like Huberdeau who'd I really see in a Habs jersey but got drafted waaay too high for us to draft him and many other cases like that (Lecavalier), but I'm not gonna be pissed because we actually do have Beaulieu instead, who is also talented. No matter if the dude is English, he has French-Queb descent/blood...

The only actual Quebecers I'm pissed we didn't get are Vlasic and Letang. But hey, we passed on Letang, and drafted super commited training machine Latendresse. And Vlasic well, he was too high for 2nd pick for us to grab and too low in the first to even consider passing on other players to draft him, considering we had the 5th pick.



Poor catch phrase.

And the answer is the single cell organism.

In relative terms, the chicken ancestor. Laying an egg was only a genetic adaptation for reproduction. Quite probably, the genetic adaptation occured long before what a chicken looks like it does today. Even before it's reptilian ancestry.

And the same way there is an answer to the chicken and egg question, there is also an answer to the other question.

Actually, like the chicken and egg, the answer lies elsewhere than your imposed dichotomy, and is related too many more complex factors than what people want to admit.

This dichotomy of yours only serves the ever so boring and predictable paradigm of blaming the Habs.
Let's not get into pop science although you're right, there were eggs before there were reptiles and birds. Just look at fish and amphibians. BTW, that chicken-egg conundrum is so stale I wish there were an ordinance prohibiting its use.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 11:23 PM
  #116
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Excellent article! I'll post some questions later but some good insight, I also liked how you related what it was like for you growing up in Quebec.
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

With the hockey summit happening in Quebec, I felt that the timing was right.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
  #117
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Yeah I liked the article by the way, don't think I mentioned that before

I don't believe in the importance of getting home grown talent I believe in the importance of getting talent that is the right fit for us period. I do believe in the importance of hockey getting its act together in Quebec.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
  #118
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,963
vCash: 50
Awards:
The article was good.

The importance back then, from the 50s to the 70s was more significant because homegrown talent was the best talent. In today's world, talent is more spread out through Canada and the States as well. Plus, we are seeing the emergence of more amazing European players, so it's no surprise.

I'll take the two American defenders, the talented Finnish winger and the goalie from Vancouver, BC, if it means they are better then the homegrown talent that was available.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:11 AM
  #119
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
The article was good.

The importance back then, from the 50s to the 70s was more significant because homegrown talent was the best talent. In today's world, talent is more spread out through Canada and the States as well. Plus, we are seeing the emergence of more amazing European players, so it's no surprise.

I'll take the two American defenders, the talented Finnish winger and the goalie from Vancouver, BC, if it means they are better then the homegrown talent that was available.
Unfortunately, not everyone in PQ has your vision. I wouldn't want to see untalented (or even mediocre) players from the Q skate on Centre Bell ice. Parlez-vous is not a tangible asset.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
  #120
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Unfortunately, not everyone in PQ has your vision. I wouldn't want to see untalented (or even mediocre) players from the Q skate on Centre Bell ice. Parlez-vous is not a tangible asset.
Exactly, but it's just more fun (especially for kids) to have Quebecois on the team if they are usefull players that make the team better.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
  #121
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
The article was good.

The importance back then, from the 50s to the 70s was more significant because homegrown talent was the best talent. In today's world, talent is more spread out through Canada and the States as well. Plus, we are seeing the emergence of more amazing European players, so it's no surprise.

I'll take the two American defenders, the talented Finnish winger and the goalie from Vancouver, BC, if it means they are better then the homegrown talent that was available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Unfortunately, not everyone in PQ has your vision. I wouldn't want to see untalented (or even mediocre) players from the Q skate on Centre Bell ice. Parlez-vous is not a tangible asset.
No one is denying that and that's why there is a summit happening as we speak, in order to lift Hockey Quebec, the QMJHL and local product, so that the Canadiens can do their share in promoting such talent by having some on its team.

Having said that, it doesn't change the fact that, in my opinion, young players better relate to local players than guys who return home overseas in the off-season. It doesn't take away the importance find solutions to develop competitive local talent and it will, I'm sure, have a snow-ball effect.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
  #122
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
The article was good.

The importance back then, from the 50s to the 70s was more significant because homegrown talent was the best talent. In today's world, talent is more spread out through Canada and the States as well. Plus, we are seeing the emergence of more amazing European players, so it's no surprise.

I'll take the two American defenders, the talented Finnish winger and the goalie from Vancouver, BC, if it means they are better then the homegrown talent that was available.
you're a frenchman CS ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
  #123
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,963
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you're a frenchman CS ?
No, however my wife is French, so I understand the importance.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
  #124
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
No, however my wife is French, so I understand the importance.
and, it's really out of curiosity. Do you listen to french sports shows ala CKAC or watch Habs games in french (even when avail on TSN or CBC) ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 09:44 PM
  #125
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,963
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and, it's really out of curiosity. Do you listen to french sports shows ala CKAC or watch Habs games in french (even when avail on TSN or CBC) ?
I watch all 82 games and all playoff games on RDS. I don't really listen to much radio and if I do, it's for music and not for sports. When watching highlights from the night before, I always watch them on RDS.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.