HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of: Colin Wilson

Old
08-28-2011, 03:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Value of: Colin Wilson

To steer some of the discussion away from the Arm Chair thread, what do you all consider the value of Colin Wilson to be, particularly the value of Wilson now as opposed to his value when he was rumored to be a part of a deal to land Kessel's rights.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Still the same value as where he was drafted and what he was projected to be imo

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:41 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ok, but what is that value? I'd argue that it's higher, to be honest. His value then was a seventh overall pick with huge upside as a very good two-way power forward. What is his projection now, and what could that potentially land us if we were to use him in a trade? He only has one season actual season of NHL experience, and that plays a role in his contract if nothing else.

This is not to say he will or should be traded. I want to keep him. This is purely hypothetical.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Wilson had that mystery factor still in him back when Kessel was available but i think he could still land a sizeable return especially if he is packaged. I would say someone along the lines of a good second line center or a 1b winger.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Ok, but what is that value? I'd argue that it's higher, to be honest. His value then was a seventh overall pick with huge upside as a very good two-way power forward. What is his projection now, and what could that potentially land us if we were to use him in a trade?

This is not to say he will or should be traded. I want to keep him. This is purely hypothetical.
Ill say if he was in a trade i think Wilson+Roussel could get us a player like Jussi Jokinen. May have to add a lil or switch COR

Old
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Ill say if he was in a trade i think Wilson+Roussel could get us a player like Jussi Jokinen. May have to add a lil or switch COR
I tend to agree. I think his value is high enough to be a good centerpiece for an offensive upgrade, but at the same time I think we would have to add. I guess what I'm looking for is whether or not it's worth trading him to begin with.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:56 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
I tend to agree. I think his value is high enough to be a good centerpiece for an offensive upgrade, but at the same time I think we would have to add. I guess what I'm looking for is whether or not it's worth trading him to begin with.
Exactly, I think it would have to be for the perfect player that we need right now to help boost our teams offense, otherwise Id be so pissed seeing Wilson tear it up in a year with Boston or whoever.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Thats what I have thought for a long time. Its very possible if we traded him we could end up regretting it. If we keep him and Radulov returns next year I think they are perfect compliments on a line for each other. I think if that were to happen and we had Hornqvist on the line Radulov could pot 70-80 pts Wilson 60+ and maybe same for Horny

Old
08-28-2011, 03:59 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Thats what I have thought for a long time. Its very possible if we traded him we could end up regretting it. If we keep him and Radulov returns next year I think they are perfect compliments on a line for each other. I think if that were to happen and we had Hornqvist on the line Radulov could pot 70-80 pts Wilson 60+ and maybe same for Horny
that made my brain hurt.

but i like it.

Old
08-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
that made my brain hurt.

but i like it.

Old
08-28-2011, 05:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Impossible. Trotz wouldn't allow it

(please do not let this sarcastic comment derail this thread)

edit: to add, do we have the time to actually wait for Wilson to grow? What if he doesn't turn into a 50pt scorer this season? Do we sit around thinking he still has potential, which he certainly would still have, or do we take a shot with a trade if it's available? At what point does trading Wilson become pragmatic?

Old
08-28-2011, 05:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Sorry if I turn these threads into too much of a philosophical debate. It's August...

Old
08-28-2011, 06:28 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Impossible. Trotz wouldn't allow it

(please do not let this sarcastic comment derail this thread)

edit: to add, do we have the time to actually wait for Wilson to grow? What if he doesn't turn into a 50pt scorer this season? Do we sit around thinking he still has potential, which he certainly would still have, or do we take a shot with a trade if it's available? At what point does trading Wilson become pragmatic?
I think if Trotz lets Wilson play all year on top 2 lines receiving 16+mins a night that he will hit 50 this year. He had 34pts getting limited time last year and the 2nd best shooting% on the team. Im not worried about him at all, hes actually been developing how I would of expected excluding him getting bottom 6 mins.

Old
08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
maplepred

Does anyone else get annoyed that trotz always puts guys with offensive potential on bottom two lines to learn to play defensively first? We need offense and Wilson has more 'potential' than any other forward on this team to produce offense and needs to play top two line action.
Teach him defense in practice!

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 08:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Does anyone else get annoyed that trotz always puts guys with offensive potential on bottom two lines to learn to play defensively first? We need offense and Wilson has more 'potential' than any other forward on this team to produce offense and needs to play top two line action.
What's better. Time as a bottom six forward in the NHL, or top six time in the AHL?

Old
08-29-2011, 09:38 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
EVERY NHL team does this. Not kidding... Wanna know where the Red Wings get these players that seem to come from out of nowhere to contribute offensively for them? Look no further than their 4th line from the year prior...

It is mainly because it takes time to be a consistent every-game NHL player. Some players show flashes of brilliance, but then are bad for the next 2 games. Until players show that they can be consistent (Wilson), they shouldn't be on the 1st or 2nd line.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

http://twitter.com/#!/Cellblock303/s...51600740171777
"I really expect a breakout year from Colin Wilson."- Trotz on @1025thegame. #Preds #NHL

Old
08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
http://twitter.com/#!/Cellblock303/s...51600740171777
"I really expect a breakout year from Colin Wilson."- Trotz on @1025thegame. #Preds #NHL
I'm cautiously hopeful, this is a big year for alot of players, wilson being the main target

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
MrJoshua

I think Wilson is due for his breakout year. I also think that O'Reilly was on the verge of one last year before he broke his leg, and that the two of them are good examples of the young offensive talent on this team that should be ready to take a step forward.

We don't need a massive offensive upgrade. They need a different approach to the PP and maybe a slight upgrade on the scoring depth of the team as a whole. Just my opinion.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:36 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
I'm cautiously hopeful, this is a big year for alot of players, wilson being the main target
Yeah, I would think, offensively, the spotlight is really on Wilson and Horny this year.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
EVERY NHL team does this. Not kidding... Wanna know where the Red Wings get these players that seem to come from out of nowhere to contribute offensively for them? Look no further than their 4th line from the year prior...

It is mainly because it takes time to be a consistent every-game NHL player. Some players show flashes of brilliance, but then are bad for the next 2 games. Until players show that they can be consistent (Wilson), they shouldn't be on the 1st or 2nd line.

That pretty much nulifies most of your top six from last season! SK, Hornqvist, Legwand, Fisher, Erat, and Ward all had terrible "slumps" for long periods. I would say the most consistent was Legwand ( for what is expected of him ).

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:04 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
[/B]

That pretty much nulifies most of your top six from last season! SK, Hornqvist, Legwand, Fisher, Erat, and Ward all had terrible "slumps" for long periods. I would say the most consistent was Legwand ( for what is expected of him ).
For all intensive purposes, I meant in terms of skating/physicality/defense and not-not showing up on the score-sheet. To which, all of the guys you listed, did do every game last year in my opinion.

But offensively, I agree. And that to me is why everyone is calling for an "elite" player. One that can carry a team consistently. Not one person on any given night... How many times last year did we hear the coaching staff say, "Every night it seems like someone else is stepping up." Well, that is great and all, but we need it nearly every night from the same 1-2 people in order to call ourselves true contenders.

Last edited by utmfisher19: 08-29-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammar
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 12:41 PM
roseyc

I guess we have given up ever playing Wilson at center anymore

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:11 PM
braindead

Wilson is so similar to Suter at a similar age/place as to be scary.

Hockey pedigree CHECK
College star CHECK
Quick assent to nhl CHECK
Inconsistent CHECK
Trotz benching CHECK
Ego bruised CHECK
Extra slice of humble pie CHECK

Take the next step and become an elite player that consistently lives up to the hype and potential. Coming soon.

Wilson showed moments of absolute total domination in certain games last year. When he gets that going on a regular basis as a mature nhl player, he will be a star. In my opinion, it's just a matter of time and part of the growing process.

His value? Nearly priceless at this point.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Wilson is so similar to Suter at a similar age/place as to be scary.

Hockey pedigree CHECK
College star CHECK
Quick assent to nhl CHECK
Inconsistent CHECK
Trotz benching CHECK
Ego bruised CHECK
Extra slice of humble pie CHECK

Take the next step and become an elite player that consistently lives up to the hype and potential. Coming soon.

Wilson showed moments of absolute total domination in certain games last year. When he gets that going on a regular basis as a mature nhl player, he will be a star. In my opinion, it's just a matter of time and part of the growing process.

His value? Nearly priceless at this point.
I agree 100 percent. You forgot they both represent USA