HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Best/Worst Trades and Playoffs OT goals

Old
08-29-2011, 08:19 AM
markzab

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Out of curiosity, I wonder what the point totals for Primeau and Brindy were following the trade. If I'm not mistaken Rob went on to have an 80+ point campaign one year with CAR, correct? Just wondering how similar or unsimilar the totals were for each guy in the other club. Granted other intangibles are obviously in play.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:06 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The Mcrimmon situation I recall vividly and was one of the worst deals and it was one of the more blatant examples of Clarke's emotions getting the best of him and inability at times to deal rationally with purely business decisions. Clarke has always said he hated the contract part of his job and in this case he showed why because he miscalculated as he himself admitted. I also was none too happy about him tearing up Esche's existing contract after he had ONE good playoff performance and thought he would be our franchise goalie for years to come....

What was insulting about the Mcrimmon deal was that he was indeed instrumental in Calgary's cup victory. The BEAST lived up to his nickname...

As far as Propp and Poulin...well we held on to them too long and did not even get fair value when we did decide to move them since we accomodated them a bit more than the TEAM. The league was changing (more speed) with the intro of more Europeans and we didn't adjust properly and that was part of Clarke's undoing when he was first let go by Jay Snider. Farewell tried to fix it but players like Brad Jones and Mark Pederson didn't exactly turn things around although Brindy and Recchi were good moves. It wasn't until we got Lindros and then the Desjardins and Leclair coup (Leclair was an afterthought) as well as Renberg's emergence that things started righting themselves.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Out of curiosity, I wonder what the point totals for Primeau and Brindy were following the trade. If I'm not mistaken Rob went on to have an 80+ point campaign one year with CAR, correct? Just wondering how similar or unsimilar the totals were for each guy in the other club. Granted other intangibles are obviously in play.
Brind'Amour just about doubled Primeau up in every category along with three trips to the ECF, two trips to the finals and one cup. Primeau went to the ECF twice as a Flyer.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=725

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=576

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Brind'Amour just about doubled Primeau up in every category along with three trips to the ECF, two trips to the finals and one cup. Primeau went to the ECF twice as a Flyer.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=725

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=576
Well to be fair Brindy played a hell of a lot longer than Prims did. I guess I'd look at 99-00 through 03-04. Primeau was pretty much on par with Brindy during the regular season back then and beat him out during the playoffs. I think Primeau would have eventually slipped off had he still been playing. No doubt Brindy was the overall better player though.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
PointL00kout

I loved Roenick's overtime goal in 2004 that propelled the Flyers to the Eastern Conference finals.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
blibros

The Recchi deal that netted us DeJardins + LeClaire is what turned the Flyers into a perennial contender. The team wasn't especially good with just Lindros and Recchi before this. Icing on the cake is that we were subsequently able to bring Recchi back, but even without that this deal alone made the team and deserves to be on the "best" list.

The Lindros deal should be a candidate for worst, not best, as we give up huge assets for him - from Wikipedia:

"Many consider this trade a key reason that the Avalanche went on to be an NHL powerhouse. They received eventual Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash."

To put that $15M in historical perspective, the highest paid players in the game made less than $3M year and even huge stars made 2M or less. On top of that we turned around and paid Lindros a league high 3.5M right off, much higher than Gretzky, Lemieux or anybody. This would probably be the equivalent of about $75M today just for the up front cash cost - an insane amount of money.

For those who don't remember Mike Ricci very well, he was a pretty fair player himself and still very young:

"Ricci was selected 4th overall by the Flyers in 1990. He had come off of three stellar seasons with Peterborough, and was dubbed a cannot-miss prospect. Ricci would have a career year in his first season with the Nordiques, scoring 78 points (a few more than Lindros that season). The next season, 1993–94, he would score a career-high 30 goals. In 1996, Ricci and Colorado would win a Stanley Cup following the franchises relocation from Quebec. On November 21, 1997 Ricci would begin a new endeavor with the Sharks.

Ricci quickly became an elite defensive centreman with San Jose, but he never was able to regain the offensive prowess of his earlier years. Ricci was an essential cog to San Jose's success, and was there when the team made its first trip to the Western Conference Final in 2004. San Jose fans admired Ricci for his gritty style of play and were saddened when he was let go.

blibros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 09:48 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

I personally thought when this thread was bumped, it was to honor Mr. McCrimmon, may he rest in peace.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote