HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Erik Christensen to Phoenix

Old
08-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
By my count (well, CapGeek's count), that would put us about $385k over the cap. You drop MZA and we're $1.36M under, or keep MZA and drop Christensen and we're $540k under. Or get rid of Avery and keep pretty much whoever you want.

While I'd still prefer to not give him away for nothing, you guys have started to sway me on moving him. I guess I'm just still frightened by the injuries last year and don't want to have to rely on Kolarik, Weise, Newbury, Mitchell et al to fill in for us.
Hm. Well I suppose MZA and Erixon both making the team is not a foregone conclusion, and the replacement of either of those players with, say, a Vtank or a Christian Thomas would work. But it is a little unfortunate that our most likely lineup puts us over the cap and unable to hold 3 scratches.

If there are no injuries in the preseason then Christensen may be waived.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:19 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
People talk about injuries and how Christensen could be valuable in spots where one of our centers goes down to one, and we need a center that can come in. Last time I checked, Christensen is better suited as a wing, and not only that, but he's far too inconsistent to depend on in a situation like that.

Sure, the shootout is where he excells, and he got us a few points last season, but if we're looking forward to winning games in shootouts, then we've got problems come playoff time, because that means we're not good enough to finish games in the regular season, and we sure as hell won't be good enough to finish them come playoff time.

Overall, Christensen just doesn't fit into the scheme of things. I don't like him in our top-6, and he's not a prototypical bottom-6 player either. He's the prototypical tweener if anything, and I don't think we have room on this team for one of those.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:19 PM
azrok22

I just wonder how many games those who think we should keep Christensen around will actually play.

If we have no injuries all season (not going to happen), I honestly believe that number is zero. Even with an injury up front (at any given time), I still think that number would be zero, because no matter which player is hurt, I would stick Avery into the lineup before I'd put Christensen in (ie: if a center is injured, by moving whoever remains of Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, and Boyle up a line each and adding Avery to the 4th line LW spot and shifting Rupp to center the 4th line). Granted, it's safe to assume more injuries than that, but is carrying a $925k cap hit for the entire season really worth that minimal benefit? That's really a key importance that's being overlooked. By only carrying 1 extra forward and using spot callups from Hartford for our additional needs, you're saving significant cap space that would simply be wasted in the majority of games (whenever less than 2 forwards are out). If you take that money off the cap, by the time the trade deadline rolls around, you're looking at a few million in pro-rated cap space to make an acquisition.

Out of an 82 game season, the Rangers went to the shootout 12 times last season (the league max was 13 shootouts, and NJ went to the shootout a mere 5 times). Overall, there were 1230 regular season games played in the NHL last year. Only 149 of them went to shootouts. If Christensen plays 41 games (and I don't think he will play even that many), that's basically keeping him to primarily to make 5 shootout attempts.

Yes, the shootout ended up the difference for us the last two years, but keeping a second backup forward with just under a $1m cap hit that is unlikely to see many games just because he's marginally better than Richards, Wolski, and Zuccarello in the shootout makes little sense when there are several adequate replacement players in Connecticut.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
richardsequalscup*

Christensen being on the team last year was embarrassing. He's a below average hockey player. Much like Avery, this team has gone past the days of having to dress scrubs like this.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Callahan4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
Christensen being on the team last year was embarrassing. He's a below average hockey player. Much like Avery, this team has gone past the days of having to dress scrubs like this.
Couldn't agree more... I think this team has what it needs in terms of that prust takes over Averys spot and honestly I think one of either mza, kreider, or another call up can take christensens role after this year ... If not this year

Callahan4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:35 PM
gotmonte

I dont think you will see Kreider this year on the big club. I would love it but I believe Kreider has his own timeline and the Rangers brass seem to be A.O.K. with this.

But me? I would LOVE to see Kreider make the club. LOVE IT

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I dont think you will see Kreider this year on the big club. I would love it but I believe Kreider has his own timeline and the Rangers brass seem to be A.O.K. with this.

But me? I would LOVE to see Kreider make the club. LOVE IT
if we have a successful season this year, and do well, do not be surprised if we never see chris kreider wear a rangers jersey.

hes a horse for sure with blazing speed, but does he want to be a ranger? does he have top line scoring potential?

christian thomas, hagelin, fasth, miller, yogan and fogarty. lots of nice names there but the real gems are to be found in the 2012 draft.

just sayin....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if we have a successful season this year, and do well, do not be surprised if we never see chris kreider wear a rangers jersey.

hes a horse for sure with blazing speed, but does he want to be a ranger? does he have top line scoring potential?

christian thomas, hagelin, fasth, miller, yogan and fogarty. lots of nice names there but the real gems are to be found in the 2012 draft.

just sayin....
I hope that he plays for us.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:05 PM
94now

Malone can get someone better than Christ. I think this is a typical summer thread.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 07:14 PM
GamerZX101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Hm. Well I suppose MZA and Erixon both making the team is not a foregone conclusion, and the replacement of either of those players with, say, a Vtank or a Christian Thomas would work. But it is a little unfortunate that our most likely lineup puts us over the cap and unable to hold 3 scratches.

If there are no injuries in the preseason then Christensen may be waived.
That's why you look to trade him now for a 5th rounder or above.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
So I take it there's zero interest here in ray Whitney?
Totally not the type of player for this system. He'd come here and have a miserable 35pt season where we'd be constantly wanting more from him. No forecheck and we'd be stuck with a 35+ contract...NO Thank You! This is the kind of player that we've learned to stay away from.

give me a 3rd or 4th round pick or a guy like Taylor Pyatt, Kurt Sauer, etc. and I'm happy.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Totally not the type of player for this system. He'd come here and have a miserable 35pt season where we'd be constantly wanting more from him. No forecheck and we'd be stuck with a 35+ contract...NO Thank You! This is the kind of player that we've learned to stay away from.

give me a 3rd or 4th round pick or a guy like Taylor Pyatt, Kurt Sauer, etc. and I'm happy.
Ray Whitney hasn't had a season less than 35 points in about 8 years. I'd trade him for Christensen in a heartbeat. He's much better than Wolski and provides veteran presence and leadership and we can use him to ride shotgun with Stepan on the 3rd line. He was on pace for a 60+ point season and lead a playoff team in scoring. We also won't be 'stuck' with his contract since he is a pending UFA, meaning if he sucks it up with the rangers, he's good as gone.

I'd also like Taylor Pyatt for Christensen. That would be fair for both sides IMO.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Christensen and Avery should not play for this team this year.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Nich

Newbury is better served as a spare. Let's be honest if one of our three top centers go down you move up rupp or Boyle and slide Newbury there.

Don't keep a guy for shootouts if you don't plan on getting him in the lineup on a daily basis

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Looks like Langkow is headed to Phoenix.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Newbury is better served as a spare. Let's be honest if one of our three top centers go down you move up rupp or Boyle and slide Newbury there.

Don't keep a guy for shootouts if you don't plan on getting him in the lineup on a daily basis
I don't think Christensen's value is simply his shootout ability. He's arguably the best option we have to slide into the lineup if Richards gets hurt. Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik during Gaborik's first year here was the line he had the most success with IMO.

And it also would allow other lines to stay in tact assuming they had some decent chemistry going.

At 925K I don't see the hurt, but I guess I do agree that if Avery and Christensen are both odd men out we need to choose one, at least after we get back from Europe.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
NYR Viper

With Hagelin, Newbury, Thoreson, Weise and Kolarik most likely all in the AHL plus quote a few first-year players like Wilson, Bourque, Marchessault(SP?) and possibly Yogan ALL in the AHL plus Christensen/Avery I would think they have enough depth to get by for this season. At a certain point you have to see what you have with some of these young players and 5-8 game call-ups are good for the organization to evaluate itself and give those young players valuable experience.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
With Hagelin, Newbury, Thoreson, Weise and Kolarik most likely all in the AHL plus quote a few first-year players like Wilson, Bourque, Marchessault(SP?) and possibly Yogan ALL in the AHL plus Christensen/Avery I would think they have enough depth to get by for this season. At a certain point you have to see what you have with some of these young players and 5-8 game call-ups are good for the organization to evaluate itself and give those young players valuable experience.
I'd rather have Christensen and Avery play in the top 6 for any extended period before all of those guys, save maybe Kolarik.

Old
08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'd rather have Christensen and Avery play in the top 6 for any extended period before all of those guys, save maybe Kolarik.
I would rather upgrade Stepan, Fedotenko, Boyle, Prust, Rupp or MZA and play any of those players on the 4th line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Yep, Langkow for Stempniak.

Good deal for both teams.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yep, Langkow for Stempniak.

Good deal for both teams.
Yep. A gamble Phoenix can afford to take. Glad to see them doing it.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:59 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would rather upgrade Stepan, Fedotenko, Boyle, Prust, Rupp or MZA and play any of those players on the 4th line.
Well, no argument here.

Old
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I just wonder how many games those who think we should keep Christensen around will actually play.

If we have no injuries all season (not going to happen), I honestly believe that number is zero. Even with an injury up front (at any given time), I still think that number would be zero, because no matter which player is hurt, I would stick Avery into the lineup before I'd put Christensen in (ie: if a center is injured, by moving whoever remains of Richards, Anisimov, Stepan, and Boyle up a line each and adding Avery to the 4th line LW spot and shifting Rupp to center the 4th line). Granted, it's safe to assume more injuries than that, but is carrying a $925k cap hit for the entire season really worth that minimal benefit? That's really a key importance that's being overlooked. By only carrying 1 extra forward and using spot callups from Hartford for our additional needs, you're saving significant cap space that would simply be wasted in the majority of games (whenever less than 2 forwards are out). If you take that money off the cap, by the time the trade deadline rolls around, you're looking at a few million in pro-rated cap space to make an acquisition.

Out of an 82 game season, the Rangers went to the shootout 12 times last season (the league max was 13 shootouts, and NJ went to the shootout a mere 5 times). Overall, there were 1230 regular season games played in the NHL last year. Only 149 of them went to shootouts. If Christensen plays 41 games (and I don't think he will play even that many), that's basically keeping him to primarily to make 5 shootout attempts.

Yes, the shootout ended up the difference for us the last two years, but keeping a second backup forward with just under a $1m cap hit that is unlikely to see many games just because he's marginally better than Richards, Wolski, and Zuccarello in the shootout makes little sense when there are several adequate replacement players in Connecticut.
Thanks for saving me time to make these points. After last season, EC has no place role for this year's team either with short or long term goals.
Getting anything for him at anytime during the season would be better than nothing -so the only reason to hold on to him is to get a (marginally) better trade value if at some later point during the season, for some reason there is going to be a team in dire need of a short term replacement forward. Low percentage chance but you never know.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Vitto79

kudos to those who said Stempniak could be moved

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:41 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Some of the comments about the Coyotes roster are borderline hilarious. Kurt Sauer? Hasn't played in 2 years. Whitney? Yeah you could get him in a trade for a blue chip prospect or frontline player. He's still very good at 38 and would immensely improve the Rangers power play. Pyatt is a bargain signing. The Coyotes moved Stempniak because he was the closest thing they have to a bad contract. C'mon guys, watch some hockey.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote