HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #11

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-24-2011, 07:35 PM
  #76
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,948
vCash: 1118
"Rock stars, is there anything they don't know."

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6889887&type=story

Quote:
Many of you probably are already well aware that the great city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, has finally gotten an NHL hockey team back. After 15 years without the Jets, the little prairie city had at last received the good news in the spring that the Atlanta Thrashers were moving north.

I haven't been to Canada for a few years now. I do live in Seattle, and thus, only about 80 miles from the border, but playing rock shows up there is really only worth it if you have a string of dates north of the border.

The original Winnipeg Jets franchise was moved a decade and a half ago, all the way down to Arizona, and suddenly dubbed something called the Phoenix Coyotes. Being a Seattle Sonics fan, I totally get how that sudden loss of a team and a city's identity can throw fans into a tailspin of pain and suffering. And I can feel a kinship with the folks of another "Jet" city that had its first major-league franchise yanked out from under them.

Don't get me wrong, places such as Phoenix and Oklahoma City totally deserve major league franchises. If a city can support a team, then let it happen. But at the expense of a small but rigorous market like Winnipeg, it just seems like unfair bullying.

Last weekend, my band, Loaded, played a one-off show in Winnipeg, at the Canadian "Rock On the Range" festival with Alice in Chains and others. Like Winnipeg, Loaded is still "small market." Of course, like the business people, civic leaders and citizenry of Winnipeg who never gave up their quest to bring the NHL back despite sometimes long odds, we have the heart of a champion but have yet to grow in size to a place where we can wield a mighty hammer. We still get bullied ourselves a bit at places such as customs and immigration stops at international border crossings and shared merchandise tables at gigs.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
  #77
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
"Rock stars, is there anything they don't know."

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6889887&type=story
I'm assuming this is the article written by Duff McKagen? If so, the guy is a economical genius. He'd be able to decipher the situation in WPG.

sobrien is offline  
Old
08-28-2011, 03:46 AM
  #78
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Hey all, just wondering what Pronger's status was. Just picked him in my hockey pool.

Thanks.

Reverend Mayhem is online now  
Old
08-28-2011, 01:13 PM
  #79
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,948
vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Hey all, just wondering what Pronger's status was. Just picked him in my hockey pool.

Thanks.
Probably won't see much (if any) ice-time in the pre-season but as of last week the hope was he'll play opening night. Still too early for any guarantees.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
08-29-2011, 04:15 PM
  #80
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Cash strapped Phoenix dealt away Lee Stempniak, who earns 2.3M, to get Daymond Langkow, who earns 4.5M this year. Maybe Langkow was paid a lot of this years salary on July 1? Wasn't there something like that going on when Ottawa had that whole Heatley affair, he was to be paid a large chunk of his yearly salary on a specific date and so Ottawa tried desperately to work out a deal before that?

I really liked Langkow when he was with us, and it's great that he's battled back from his injury, and it's not as if Stempniak is the greatest player around, but I have to imagine that the Coyotes were aiming higher than this when they began looking to add a center to bolster their top 6.

mirimon is offline  
Old
08-29-2011, 05:54 PM
  #81
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,267
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Cash strapped Phoenix dealt away Lee Stempniak, who earns 2.3M, to get Daymond Langkow, who earns 4.5M this year. Maybe Langkow was paid a lot of this years salary on July 1? Wasn't there something like that going on when Ottawa had that whole Heatley affair, he was to be paid a large chunk of his yearly salary on a specific date and so Ottawa tried desperately to work out a deal before that?

I really liked Langkow when he was with us, and it's great that he's battled back from his injury, and it's not as if Stempniak is the greatest player around, but I have to imagine that the Coyotes were aiming higher than this when they began looking to add a center to bolster their top 6.
The Yotes could be ensuring that they are above the cap floor. With Langkow (included in 14 forwards, 7 defensemen & 3 goalies) they're sitting above $51M. The floor is just over $48M.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
08-30-2011, 02:03 AM
  #82
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The Yotes could be ensuring that they are above the cap floor. With Langkow (included in 14 forwards, 7 defensemen & 3 goalies) they're sitting above $51M. The floor is just over $48M.
They still have to sign Turris though, and I don't think Sauer is ready to play yet so someone like OEL or Goncharov will be on the roster as well.

I guess it doesn't hurt to be a bit over the cap floor, in case the season doesn't go well and they'll be looking to deal away players.

mirimon is offline  
Old
08-30-2011, 11:31 PM
  #83
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
I'm looking back at the 2007 draft (Kane/JvR/Turris draft) and saw that we took Kevin Marshall over the likes of:

Eric Tangradi (1 pick later)
PK Subban (2 picks later)
Tyrell
Galiardi
Spaling
Simmonds

and then the 3rd round, Garrett Klotz over:
Dadonov
Y. Weber
Palmieri
4th rd
Omark
Caputi
Faulk
Halischuk

But HEY! in the 5th round we took Mario Kempe!
-over...-
Jamie Benn

And finally we got Kalinski and Maroon rather than Dustin Jeffrey, Frazer McLaren and Carl Gunnarsson.

sometimes our scouting dept. makes me wonder...

Imagine (with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th) drafting: JvR, Subban, Palmieri, Benn, Gunnarsson, and McLaren (for the enforcer quota)

sobrien is offline  
Old
08-30-2011, 11:45 PM
  #84
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'm looking back at the 2007 draft (Kane/JvR/Turris draft) and saw that we took Kevin Marshall over the likes of:

Eric Tangradi (1 pick later)
PK Subban (2 picks later)
Tyrell
Galiardi
Spaling
Simmonds

and then the 3rd round, Garrett Klotz over:
Dadonov
Y. Weber
Palmieri
4th rd
Omark
Caputi
Faulk
Halischuk

But HEY! in the 5th round we took Mario Kempe!
-over...-
Jamie Benn

And finally we got Kalinski and Maroon rather than Dustin Jeffrey, Frazer McLaren and Carl Gunnarsson.

sometimes our scouting dept. makes me wonder...

Imagine (with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th) drafting: JvR, Subban, Palmieri, Benn, Gunnarsson, and McLaren (for the enforcer quota)
It would've been the greatest draft in the history of the NHL, and not even by a little bit.

What if any other team in the NHL did that?

Well it would've been the greatest draft in the history of the NHL, and not even by a little bit.

Unfortunately we have no time machines. Thank god neither does anyone else.

CS is offline  
Old
08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
  #85
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It would've been the greatest draft in the history of the NHL, and not even by a little bit.

What if any other team in the NHL did that?

Well it would've been the greatest draft in the history of the NHL, and not even by a little bit.

Unfortunately we have no time machines. Thank god neither does anyone else.
Yup, happens every year. Found more and more that gave me headaches in previous years. Hindsight is an unfair tool.

That said, hopefully the crop we picked this year can be something special.

sobrien is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
  #86
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
The games between LA and Edmonton could be interesting this season... Chances are there will be more fights between front office personell than on the ice.

mirimon is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 01:29 PM
  #87
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Dustin Bufyglien apparently needs to be sent to the Dean's office


mirimon is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
  #88
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
What has he done?

Edit: I see, arrested for drunk boating apparently. And he also put on 41 pounds.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
  #89
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
What has he done?

Edit: I see, arrested for drunk boating apparently. And he also put on 41 pounds.
We have a winner.

sobrien is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
  #90
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
I can't imagine putting on 41 pounds in a few months. I can't even afford that much food, nor can I eat that much.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
  #91
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I can't imagine putting on 41 pounds in a few months. I can't even afford that much food, nor can I eat that much.
I'm sure he'll be penalized and forced onto an intense workout plan, but I can't see him dropping more than 20 lbs before the season. Still...I already cringe at the idea of Giroux going into the corner with a 280+lb man.

sobrien is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 02:03 PM
  #92
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'm sure he'll be penalized and forced onto an intense workout plan, but I can't see him dropping more than 20 lbs before the season. Still...I already cringe at the idea of Giroux going into the corner with a 280+lb man.
Just throw a hot dog in a different direction. When he chases it, skate away.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
  #93
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'm sure he'll be penalized and forced onto an intense workout plan, but I can't see him dropping more than 20 lbs before the season. Still...I already cringe at the idea of Giroux going into the corner with a 280+lb man.
With the way Bufyglien played after the Thrashers broke up his pairing with Toby Enström, I kind of hope they put Bufyglien out against Giroux. We'd be getting at least one breakaway per shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Just throw a hot dog in a different direction. When he chases it, skate away.
I lol'd.

NHL teams are pretty good at not being accurate with weight and height information, so maybe he hasn't gained quite as much. Say that he really weighed in at somewhere around 260 last year, that is still a pretty big increase in mass for just a few months.

mirimon is offline  
Old
09-11-2011, 11:48 PM
  #94
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,596
vCash: 500
Traded away Perry, both Sedins, and Bryzgalov so far in one fantasy league of mine. Got Johanson, Couturier, RNH, Stepan, Niemi, Reimer, Paajarvi, and Voracek though.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
09-12-2011, 09:40 AM
  #95
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,948
vCash: 1118
Quote:
The New Jersey Devils training camp doesn’t open until tomorrow but already the three-time NHL champs are skating on thin ice, The Post has learned.

The attendance-challenged, heavily indebted team missed its Sept. 1 loan payment, giving its lenders a breakaway chance to push the team into bankruptcy, a source with direct knowledge of the situation said.

“The Devils are blowing up,” the source said.

The team’s financial hardships could also affect Newark’s four-year-old Prudential Center, the Devils’ home arena. Team-owned Devils Arena Entertainment operates the $375 million building and guarantees the Devils’ loans and, therefore, is in danger of also going bankrupt.

Two issues are complicating matters. First, principal owner Jeff Vanderbeek and co-owner Ray Chambers, each of whom owns 47 percent of the franchise, are on the outs. Chambers, through his Brick City Hockey unit, has been trying to sell his non-controlling stake in the franchise for a year.

But the efforts of Chambers and Moag & Co., a Baltimore investment bank, have been unsuccessful, despite, a source said, cutting their asking price 20 percent to $200 million. Forbes last year estimated the Devils were worth $218 million, No. 11 in the league, down 2 percent from 2010. The team is ranked No. 25 in attendance.

Second, Vanderbeek’s relationship with the lenders is as frosty as the rink surface at The Rock, as the arena is known.

The Devils have told their banks to get lost, the source said.
http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/b...ff0OCTWRIdroxH

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline  
Old
09-12-2011, 12:00 PM
  #96
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Traded away Perry, both Sedins, and Bryzgalov so far in one fantasy league of mine. Got Johanson, Couturier, RNH, Stepan, Niemi, Reimer, Paajarvi, and Voracek though.
is it a prospect league?

sobrien is offline  
Old
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
  #97
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 156
Apparently the Devils are close to bankruptcy.

Quote:
The attendance-challenged, heavily indebted team missed its Sept. 1 loan payment, giving its lenders a breakaway chance to push the team into bankruptcy, a source with direct knowledge of the situation said.
“The Devils are blowing up,” the source said.
The team’s financial hardships could also affect Newark’s four-year-old Prudential Center, the Devils’ home arena. Team-owned Devils Arena Entertainment operates the $375 million building and guarantees the Devils’ loans and, therefore, is in danger of also going bankrupt.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ff0OCTWRIdroxH

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
  #98
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,985
vCash: 500
Good thing Kovalchuk is there until 2156.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
09-12-2011, 02:22 PM
  #99
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,339
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Would not surprise me the least if they filled.

I know people who went to a Flyers Debs game last year up there. Told me it was basically all Flyer fans in the place.

Also, remember when they had to cancel one of the Devil's home games 2 years ago, because they didn't pay the electric bill? Wow.

dbr2 is offline  
Old
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
  #100
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
is it a prospect league?
I think that's a good return. Besides, I can afford to blow a team up. Like I said I play in 12 leagues so I can afford to go rebuild crazy in one of them.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.