Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
08-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Victoria Royals 2011-12 Season Thread

Seeing as most of the team's have a thread in the OHL forum, and I know we have a bunch of people from Victoria on HFBoards, why not?

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:55 PM
VicWHL101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
Seeing as most of the team's have a thread in the OHL forum, and I know we have a bunch of people from Victoria on HFBoards, why not?
Perfect, great idea!

VicWHL101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Boooooo!!! Go any team but Victoria. Dirty WHL ripping the Bruins out of Chilliwack.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Rocko604

I'll be the resident Giants troll!

Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:10 PM
VicWHL101

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Boooooo!!! Go any team but Victoria. Dirty WHL ripping the Bruins out of Chilliwack.
It's not our cities fault, that things in Chilliwack eroded and the WHL moved your team to a better city.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:17 PM
go_leafs_go02

oh yeah. You should really look into what went on.

WHL pushed and pushed for a team to move to Victoria - now that I can understand that Victoria could be a good market for the WHL, but there was a local offer (multiple offers actually) to keep the team in Chilliwack, as it had been there 5 years, was doing alright for attendance and hadn't even won a playoff round yet. Instead the WHL said, forget Chilliwack, Victoria's better, and let them move suddenly to Victoria because they did not permit ownership to sell locally.

Fans of other teams, including Kamloops, Kootenay, Red Deer and any other small to mid-market WHL teams should watch out. That league doesn't care about existing franchises. It sees greener pastures on the other side and who knows who will be uprooted suddenly next to another City.

Somehow, in 2005, the league stopped Tri Cities from moving to Chilliwack - and they're thriving pretty good right now. Too bad Chilliwack was never given a fair shake.

And Yeah, Victoria hasn't even sold 1500 season tickets yet. That's really a better City. Chilliwack had 2100 last year, we'll see if Victoria can even match that in year 1.

Oh, and enjoy Zach Habscheid, he's one player you're gonna just love....yeah right.

Old
08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Victoria Royals just traded 1st round pick in 08 Mitch Topping to TC Americans for 2nd in 2013 and 16 yr old forward prospect Justin Spaqrud

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

http://islandsportsnews.net/26072/la...icket-holders/

Quote:
Victoria, BC – The Victoria Royals are pleased announce the club has close to 3,000 season ticket holders for the 2011-12 season.

The number of season ticket holders for Royals’ games this season is significantly higher than any previous season. With over a month to go before the start of the 2011-12 Royals regular season this number is expected to grow. The Royals’ home opener is scheduled for Saturday, September 24 against the Vancouver Giants at the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, starting at 7:05pm.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD80 View Post
Awesome news.

Old
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Pretty excited for the season to start. Just recently moved back to the island from PG...was worried I'd have to do without WHL hockey - which I absolutely LOVE (even after watching the cougars for 10 seasons....). Thankfully I've got Victoria now! Doubt I'll be come a fan of the team, as I really didn't like the Bruins and it just wouldn't feel right to not cheer for the Cougars when applicable! haha...

Either way...I'm pumped!

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
ROYALS COMPLETE COACHING & HOCKEY STAFF

http://whl.ca/article/royals-complet...s-staff/102325

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 08:10 PM
VicWHL101

Lukáš Králík, who was drafted by the Royals in the Import draft has already arrived in Victoria (He let me know via Facebook). Great to see the Royals using the Import Draft and getting a player who was willing to come over to North America.

Old
08-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Elioplieno

From this Portland fan to you guys, I wish you all luck! Looking to come visit this year, during that time I wish your team terrible luck

Elioplieno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Scouter

A historic day in Royals history, the 1st time players from the org. hit the ice.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinD80 View Post
That's respectable, and I was wrong before with the low numbers of season tickets, Chilliwack did have about 2100 STH last year, but I do wish the City was given a chance to even have a team that would win a playoff round before giving up on them. Hope to see the WHL return to Chilliwack sooner than later, but hope Victoria fans aren't treated poorly by the league and ownership in the future.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
travellingman345

I love the WHL - but I hate their scheduling. I realize these kids attend school and cost of travel must be pretty high.

But Victoria does not travel to Calgary at all this year to play my Hitmen. On the other hand Calgary travels to Victoria twice.

I think each team should have to play in each others city at least once during the year.

travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
Anyone going to the home opener? I plan on going. Tickets go on sale the 31st!

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 12:04 AM
VicWHL101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
Anyone going to the home opener? I plan on going. Tickets go on sale the 31st!
Have had tickets for all 36 home games for weeks now.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:12 PM
VicWHL101

Went and watching some of the scrimmages tonight, got to see Import Lukas Kralik who scored a great goal. The game was fast and very action packed including a fight. I think this is going to be a great season of hockey.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicWHL101 View Post
Went and watching some of the scrimmages tonight, got to see Import Lukas Kralik who scored a great goal. The game was fast and very action packed including a fight. I think this is going to be a great season of hockey.
Awesome, I'm planning to attend the Intrasquad game on Wednesday!

Old
09-01-2011, 12:23 AM
themann

went to the intersquad game, fun hockey.

was impressed by:
Kade Pilton
Joe Hicketts
Taylor Crunk

Not so much:
Keegan Kanzig
Clay Spencer

Hopefully everyone else didnt see the same as me on the players i was not impressed by, as i assume everyone has high hopes for Kanzig

themann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:45 AM
VicWHL101

Quote:
Originally Posted by themann View Post
went to the intersquad game, fun hockey.

was impressed by:
Kade Pilton
Joe Hicketts
Taylor Crunk

Not so much:
Keegan Kanzig
Clay Spencer

Hopefully everyone else didnt see the same as me on the players i was not impressed by, as i assume everyone has high hopes for Kanzig
Loved how Hicketts started to rush the puck more in the third, and he looked really good doing it.
KANZIG!!! ... all I have to say, is that i felt very underwhelmed by his play. At one point in the third their was some pushing and shoving in front of his net, by two guys. All he has to do it skate two strides over and back up his teammate and show looking intimidating to the guy on the other team, but he decided to just look at what was going on.

Old
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
johnnydrum

First things first...My names JohnnyD from the UK--huge fan of the Washington Caps in the NHL for almsot 20 years now..but the last 2 years have become an avid fan of the CHL, in perticular the "Imports" (love how Europes best kids test themselves against the very best North American kids--with varying results of course..lol)

Spent a wonderfull 2010 tuning into the exploits of Nail Yakupov, Khoklachev and co in the OHL (Yakupov is incredible) via the Radio feed on the teams webiste, (and the brilliant Sting fans on here) as well as following Caps prospect, Stanislav Galiev and his team mate Tomas Jurco, in the Q.

Its a welcoming sight to see WHL teams here too!

Secondly, a warm welcome to the WHLs newest team, the Victoria Royals.
(What a great name btw--like Windsors "Spitfires", it makes me very proud to be an Englishman)--and gosh, I love the teams colours..wow.
Its going to be fun following the new team.
Finally, as I said I am a keen follower of Euros--so my intrest is piqued with the arrival of Lukáš Králík-a prospect I am most excited to learn about, so would be so greatfull if anyone can post any reports for me--either here, or via PM or my email.

I do feel for the Chilliwack fans, (the same as I spare a thought for the fans of the NHL s Thrashers-whom of course have made a welcome return to Winnipeg~ whether people agree or not, its heartbreaking for the fans that are left behind.
I hope the Chiliwack fans perhaps can adopt the Royals?

Thirdly..Tourettes Guy "all hail Mikhail indeed!" I cant tell you how excited I am that Grigorenko is playing in the CHL. I spent last weekend glued to the QJMHL scoreboard "ticker"- just to watch his progress..lol

johnnydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
First things first...My names JohnnyD from the UK--huge fan of the Washington Caps in the NHL for almsot 20 years now..but the last 2 years have become an avid fan of the CHL, in perticular the "Imports" (love how Europes best kids test themselves against the very best North American kids--with varying results of course..lol)

Spent a wonderfull 2010 tuning into the exploits of Nail Yakupov, Khoklachev and co in the OHL (Yakupov is incredible) via the Radio feed on the teams webiste, (and the brilliant Sting fans on here) as well as following Caps prospect, Stanislav Galiev and his team mate Tomas Jurco, in the Q.

Its a welcoming sight to see WHL teams here too!

Secondly, a warm welcome to the WHLs newest team, the Victoria Royals.
(What a great name btw--like Windsors "Spitfires", it makes me very proud to be an Englishman)--and gosh, I love the teams colours..wow.
Its going to be fun following the new team.
Finally, as I said I am a keen follower of Euros--so my intrest is piqued with the arrival of Lukáš Králík-a prospect I am most excited to learn about, so would be so greatfull if anyone can post any reports for me--either here, or via PM or my email.

I do feel for the Chilliwack fans, (the same as I spare a thought for the fans of the NHL s Thrashers-whom of course have made a welcome return to Winnipeg~ whether people agree or not, its heartbreaking for the fans that are left behind.
I hope the Chiliwack fans perhaps can adopt the Royals?

Thirdly..Tourettes Guy "all hail Mikhail indeed!" I cant tell you how excited I am that Grigorenko is playing in the CHL. I spent last weekend glued to the QJMHL scoreboard "ticker"- just to watch his progress..lol

Victoria signed Joe Hicketts today to a WHL Contract, well deserved, kid is simply unreal.

Definetly am excited to see him play for sure!

Cuts were announced today, players from the intersquad game that made it include Zane Jones, Taylor Crunk, Reid Halabi, Justin Spragurd, Austin Carroll, Jared Rathjen, Brett Cote, Joe Hicketts, Kade Pilton, Keenan Kanzig and Jesse Pauls, all will be playing in preseason games until the season begins.

Last edited by Jamie Benn: 09-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old
09-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Scouter

I was wondering what Hicketts is doing in main camp, I thought he was too young to play at the WHL level and had to go back to midget?